SGS2 Canadian Thread (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel/Rogers) Root/Unlock/Firmware/Modems/Mods

Search This thread

thracemerin

Oct 19, 2011
Toronto
Trying LP7.
Bell phone on Rogers.
Very smooth so far. Smoother than LP3 for sure.

I mostly like ICS except..
- I can't stand the new menu pop-up. It's displayed as a list in ICS and it was larger button areas before. This makes it way more difficult to quickly hit the one you want.
- Also, how the heck do I remove all the transition animations???? Didn't that used to be optional under settings/display or something?
I don't like the new task manager either. So programs that used to close hitting back now all stay open with ICS??
- The new FONT in the applications list is too big. It actually makes it hard on the eyes.
- The pop-up to let me know I just connected to a wi-fi network is really annoying and unnecessary. Isn't that what the notification drawer is for? If you must notify me..

Maybe I'll come up with something later that I do like about ICS..
I knew this would happen. All you people cursing at the carriers for not getting ICS out so you could bask in it's glory. Just because it's newer than what you had. Maybe you should think about what you've done.

Touchwiz ICS and AOSP ICS are not the same thing, for a real ICS experience try CM9, AOKP or one of the other AOSP variants, they provide an ICS experience more along the lines of what Google originally intended.

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
There's a lot of those type comments going around. In defense of ICS because Touchwiz is there.
But which of my issues are not issues on stock ICS?

thracemerin

Oct 19, 2011
Toronto
There's a lot of those type comments going around. In defense of ICS because Touchwiz is there.
But which of my issues are not issues on stock ICS?

Well, I was on Touchwiz ICS for all of about 10 minutes after I upgraded to ICS, I personally dislike Touchwiz, I never ran it in Gingerbread either, so my knowledge of Touchwiz will rely on your description of issues. My comments are in blue.

meboy said:
- I can't stand the new menu pop-up. It's displayed as a list in ICS and it was larger button areas before. This makes it way more difficult to quickly hit the one you want.
I'm not sure what you mean here exactly, but I dont find the CM9 menus any more difficult to use than the CM7 menus anyway, like I said I spent very little time on any Touchwiz based ROM

- Also, how the heck do I remove all the transition animations???? Didn't that used to be optional under settings/display or something?
This can probably be accomplished by using a different launcher instead of the default samsung one without completely abandoning a Samsung ROM, I know that you can change and/or remove them in CM9

I don't like the new task manager either. So programs that used to close hitting back now all stay open with ICS??
To my knowledge they aren't actually open any more, like if you check running apps they won't be there, its just a recent list of apps you used along with a picture of the last screen you were looking at in said app, this appears to be the same over all ICS iterations.

- The new FONT in the applications list is too big. It actually makes it hard on the eyes.
I'm not certain exactly where you're talking about, but I've never found any fonts to be annoyingly large.

- The pop-up to let me know I just connected to a wi-fi network is really annoying and unnecessary. Isn't that what the notification drawer is for? If you must notify me..
Never seen this on CM9, and I swap wireless networks a lot.

I'm not in any way suggesting that anyone is wrong for loving/hating Touchwiz or any other ROM, the point of owning an Android phone over say an iPhone is the ability to customize it to suit you, if you like Touchwiz stick with it, I'm just trying to help you find the experience you'll truly enjoy.

Last edited:

salcedo5

Apr 19, 2012
Help Unlocking XWLP3

Hi, I have a bell galaxy s2, and I installed ICS. My phone now:

XWLP3
Android 4.0.3

No O2 UK branding
This package has: PDA: XWLP3| Modem/phone: XXLPR| CSC: OXALPQ
Download: Download Mirror: Download Torrent: Download

XWLP3 Stock Kernel: Download
Password: intratech@XDA

My phone is rooted also following this guide [ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KL1/2/3/LA2,4/LB2,LPE/Q/7/2/F/S/4/7 Download

Can I unlock my phone with this setup? I'm trying to use Galaxy S2 SIM unlock but it says it could not acquire superuser acces. superuser is already installed after rooting

Please help, thanks

bill.millett

Dec 21, 2010
Ottawa
Be careful though, SpeedMod ICS is not compatible with ASOP based ICS roms, it only works with Samsung Touchwiz ICS based roms, keep this in mind when you pick a kernel or you may get yourself into trouble.

Foxhound is Touchwiz based with AOSP elements on top (some optional). Includes Nova Launcher and Apex. I've never gone the full AOSP route (like CM) because I tried Foxhound and Sensation and never really left. However, it's a good point on the match of the kernel.

Given that, though, I really like Foxhound, and SpeedMod gives incredible battery life. In general ICS is a little harder on the battery, but SpeedMod makes up for that. I will typically not charge my phone for 2-3 days (using Juice Defender). So with the combination I get a nice smooth, reliable ROM and great battery life. It's been good enough that I haven't updated, or tried something new, which for me is rare since I'm addicted to messing around with my phone. :p

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
First go and get LP7 from below and try again.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1544487

Hi, I have a bell galaxy s2, and I installed ICS. My phone now:

XWLP3
Android 4.0.3

No O2 UK branding
This package has: PDA: XWLP3| Modem/phone: XXLPR| CSC: OXALPQ
Download: Download Mirror: Download Torrent: Download

XWLP3 Stock Kernel: Download
Password: intratech@XDA

My phone is rooted also following this guide [ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KL1/2/3/LA2,4/LB2,LPE/Q/7/2/F/S/4/7 Download

Can I unlock my phone with this setup? I'm trying to use Galaxy S2 SIM unlock but it says it could not acquire superuser acces. superuser is already installed after rooting

Please help, thanks

wadokai

Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys what roms/kernel/modem are you on?

What do you recommend?

I'm on westcrip's ressurection remix but it's fcking up for me, so think i need to change up.

wadokai

Jan 24, 2011
Hydrog3n-ics + thoravukk Kernel = best battery/performance.

Okay so i installed the rom, realized it has no google market/play app or anything so went and downloaded google apps

installed, and then soon as i start using phone, "android keyboard" force close comes up.

I tried installing different version of gapps. I also tried flashing again, wiping everything but still no dice. Soon as i install gapps android keyboard error comes up.

And i need the gapps pack in order to have google market... so... what do i do?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Hydrog3n-ics + thoravukk Kernel = best battery/performance.

Also, another problem i'm having is.. whenever i use the phone, soon as it connects the screen goes black. I can hear and converse but lose complete functionality of the device..

i usually have to restart the phone

bajee11

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 10, 2012
Montreal
Okay so i installed the rom, realized it has no google market/play app or anything so went and downloaded google apps

installed, and then soon as i start using phone, "android keyboard" force close comes up.

I tried installing different version of gapps. I also tried flashing again, wiping everything but still no dice. Soon as i install gapps android keyboard error comes up.

And i need the gapps pack in order to have google market... so... what do i do?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Also, another problem i'm having is.. whenever i use the phone, soon as it connects the screen goes black. I can hear and converse but lose complete functionality of the device..

i usually have to restart the phone

I have none of those issues.(there's no issues at all with this rom) Which version of Hydro did you install? Did you install custom rom? If you need more help let me know or PM me. This is very unsual for the keyboard to foreclose.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I don't understand why anyone uses all these screwed up custom ROM's. They all have issues.

Just get the stock LP7 from the link I posted in this response.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25073499&postcount=1386

First of all, it's not screwed up :) and second of all, there are No issues if it's done properly. And finally the main reason: I hate TouchWiz. Never used it, and never will be in the future.

Reactions: wadokai

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
I think the thousands of threads started stating issues with customs ROM's (and early stock ROM's to be fair) would say otherwise.

Nothing against your's in paticular.
But I like my phone to work so I wait for a solid stock ROM.

thracemerin

Oct 19, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand why anyone uses all these screwed up custom ROM's. They all have issues.

Just get the stock LP7 from the link I posted in this response.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25073499&postcount=1386

The main issue with custom ROMs is that they are at least somewhat experimental in nature so they will have some (generally minor) issues, most of the issues however are caused by users who don't read the instructions before they flash and end up with problems or they are Android rookies who probably shouldn't be flashing anything without doing research and reading on how Android really works.

canadianrider

Aug 22, 2010
Okanagan
So is there a difference in modems on ICS? I see most roms are running LPQ. Anyone know if that's going to be the best for British Columbia? My assumption is until we get a Bell stock rom they're all going to be pretty close to the same.

thracemerin

Oct 19, 2011
Toronto
So is there a difference in modems on ICS? I see most roms are running LPQ. Anyone know if that's going to be the best for British Columbia? My assumption is until we get a Bell stock rom they're all going to be pretty close to the same.

I've been using LPS with pretty good results with CM9 here in Ottawa, before that I was using Bell's KG2, I can't say there was a significant difference. Modems are one of those things where there really isn't a "best", there is best for you and the only way to determine that is to test a few. As for Bell ICS, there is a fairly good chance there will never be one so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that.

canadianrider

Aug 22, 2010
Okanagan
I've been using LPS with pretty good results with CM9 here in Ottawa, before that I was using Bell's KG2, I can't say there was a significant difference. Modems are one of those things where there really isn't a "best", there is best for you and the only way to determine that is to test a few. As for Bell ICS, there is a fairly good chance there will never be one so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that.

do you have a link to the LPS modem? cwm flashable..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Button Combos:
    Download Mode: Volume Down+Home+Power
    Recovery Mode: Volume Up+Home+Power
    Once in recovery use volume keys to navigate, home button to select and power button to go back

Official Firmware Version
    PDA: I9100MUGKG2
    Phone: I9100MUGKG2
    CSC: I9100MBMCKG2
    Product Code: GT-I9100LKMBMC

Unlock

Galaxy_S Unlock App by Helroz found here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.helroz.galaxysunlock&feature=search_result.

Rooting

CF-Root Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    We do not have a CF-Root version of our kernel so just flash any kernel using the instructions provided in the link and flash the stock kernel back (found below). Root will remain as well as the CWM app but you will loose clockwork mod recovery.
    Alternative method:
    Zergrush exploit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682&highlight=zegrush

Yellow Triangle Removal

Tutorial can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193091
    Alternatively you can use a Jig as it also resets the custom Rom counter

I9100 Secret Codes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193285

All links below are for Gingerbread 2.3.3 MUGK2

Stock Bell/Virgin Modem

Directions: Use Odin and place .tar file in "phone" section
    Download
    Mirror: Download

Stock Firmware

Download

Stock Kernel

Directions: Place .tar file in PDA section using ODIN
    Download

Bell CSC

Directions: Flash with Odin in CSC section
    Download

Additional Modems:
    Some users are experiencing better Gps/Reception with the KH3/KI3 modem
    Directions: Unzip file and flash modem.bin with Odin under "phone" section

I9100XXKH3-Download
    I9100XXKG6-Download
    I9100XXKI1-Download
    I9100XXKI3-Download
    I9100XXKI4-Download

*CWM Compatible Modems can be found here

Flashing Instructions

How to install the latest firmware on your phone. This will also get rid of Bell's bloatware:

1) Make sure you have working drivers installed on your computer. If you do not, the easiest way is to download Kies and it will install it for you.

2) Install Odin 1.85 on your computer (attached at the bottom of this post)

3) Pick any firmware version you would like to flash from Intratech's thread linked here. The firmware is arranged from oldest to newest so the last ones are obviously going to be the newest.

4) Start Odin in "administrator" mode and make sure Kies is not running in the background. Use task manager to check

5) Place your downloaded firmware .tar or .md5 file into the PDA section in Odin. Make sure re-partition is not selected. Auto reboot and reset time should be selected by default.

6) Remove any external sd cards and the sim card from your phone (precaution) then reboot into download or hold volume down + home + power key. If a warning pops up press the volume up key to continue.

7) Connect your phone to the computer with the USB cable. You should see the I.D:Com port turn yellow.

8) Once you are certain everything is where it should be, select START. Once the process has completed your phone will re-boot. Exit out of Odin. That's it!

Optional (Rooting)

9) If you wish to root your will need to download a cf-root kernel that matches the firmware you just flashed from here. For example if you flashed XXKI4 then you will need to download the cf-root kernel that ends with XXKI4

10) Restart Odin and place the kernel .tar file in the PDA section, connect your phone and press START.

Alternative TWlaunchers

Since upgrading to 2.3.4/2.3.5 firmwares, some (including myself) have noticed some lag/stuttering when flipping through homescreens. I find that this gets worse when using the program monitor widget. I put together some alternatives that I pulled from the US variants of the Galaxy S2.
    I have tested them and they have pretty much eliminated the issue. I personally find them much smoother. These are stock Twlaunchers with no mods. The files can be found at the bottom of this post. Requires Root.

Directions: These files a deodexed but will work with Odexed Firmwares (I tested on 2.3.5) Make sure to download another launcher and use it as your primary. While using an alternative launcher, back up the twlauncher.apk and .odex files under system app then the libglcanvas.so under system/lib. Then delete twlauncher.odex. Boot into CWM recovery and flash the new twlauncher. If you do not have CWM recovery you can also unzip the file and drop the .apk into system/app and the .so into system/lib.

AT&T
    App version: 2.3.4
    Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through home screens. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

Epic 4G Touch (Sprint)
    App version: 2.3.4
    Features: Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (Hercules)
    App version: 2.3.5
    Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through homescreens and widget selection screen. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

credits: Intratech, x-cimo
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    Currently the best 3 choices that is closest to our firmware version are:
    CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_JP_XSG_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    Note: You will not be able to revert back to the stock kernel until Samsung releases our Firmware

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip is not even close to our version of android. It is a 2.3.4 kernel. Just because it says KG2, doesn't mean it's the same. That only refers to a single geographical area's release for a month. I'll explain:

The rom letter versions are actually based upon 5 letters, not 3. There are several variants of KG2. Basically, the Samsung naming convention is as follows:
    Model name: I9100M
    Provider/Area: UG (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel)
    Rom Version: KG2

Now, the rom version can get broken down into each letter as well...
    K = 2011
    G = July
    2 = 2nd version that month.

All area's roms are developed completely separate from each other...

Ours is UGKG2. Which is unavailable for download from the Samsung servers, so we're not able to actually get back to stock, or make any kind of custom firmwares/kernels based upon it.

All the other ones, including ZS, JP, and XX are completely different roms and kernels than what we have on our Bell phones.

The KG2 that either of those 3 kernels are based on are either 2.3.4 roms or different 2.3.3 roms. So, matching that is no different than installing a KG1 or KG3 or any KF* CF-Root kernels. ChainFire has not made a CF-Root based upon UGKG2 yet, so no matter what one you install, it's not based upon our rom, meaning you can basically install ANY CF-Root Kernel and as long as your phone still works with it, it doesn't matter. All the roms are completely different and the naming convention has nothing to do with each other unless all 5 letters/numbers match up.

Lesson of the night???? Just because a pile of uninformed people on a forum agree about something, it doesn't make it correct...
    UGKG2 firmware and kernel now available in the carrier firmware thread.
    How to root sgs2 from BELL (GT-9100M)?

details steps plz for a beginner

-Download and install ODIN on your PC.
    -From XDA, download the kernel CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip(ZIP.File)
    -unzip the above file and it will unzip itself to CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.tar (TAR File)
    -Fire up ODIN and under 'PDA' browse to the above mentioned .tar file.
    -Place your phone on download mode (either USB jig, or boot it up while holding vol down+home+power)
    -once in download mode, plug in to the computer.
    -everything should be default settings in ODIN,butmake sure repartition and flashlock IS NOT ticked.
    -click start
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278
    DONE
    Yea, see the problem with custom roms is that often....no, ALWAYS I have to load the stock Bell modem, because on any other modem I roam all the time and my wireless hotspot does not seem to work. If I could extract this modem from the newly released bell ics then I would give it a try.

Also, last custom rom I tried was Litening but the email on it did not work properly and kept freezing. Also I would miss the samsung SocialHub. I like how it consolidates all my messages and email.

Here ya go friend (CWM LD3 Modem just for you): http://www.2shared.com/file/XXCsXgiS/LKABMC_MODEM_XXLD3.html

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Anyone have the ld3 modem..
    I am using d4 from with lps modem..would really like to see if there is a big difference with ld3 modem on signal quality..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Installed it this afternoon, signal has been locked on full bars ever since. Did not try gps and things like that though.

http://www.2shared.com/file/XXCsXgiS/LKABMC_MODEM_XXLD3.html

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------