Microsoft: “No Windows Phone 7 upgrade for Windows Mobile 6.x devices”

Search This thread

wocko1

Feb 1, 2009
Sydney
Just another example of M$ shafting existing customers, to make them buy a new phone. And I find that quote saying that the HD2 doesn't have certain hardware components to meet the spec, sounds like a crock to me.

Hopefully someone with skill can graft a WinMo 7 on to the HD2, while M$ is too lazy to do it.

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
That I frankly don't care, I got my HD2 for what it is and not what it possibly could be.

And that for those who are dying for it there's certainly a >50% chance that even if it doesnt come officially, someone on here will hack it. We have 2004 devices originally on PocketPC2003 running WM6.5 today, and having unofficially made all the steps inbetween... that's definitely very far from what they were originally intended for.

adrian_nene16

Feb 16, 2010
wtff?? just because the htc hd2 doesn't have the three buttons is not getting the wm7s upgrade? Microsoft just scuppered future sales of the hd2 by doing this, i have my doubts now if ill buy it or not!

jorghd2

Nov 25, 2009
I don't see how the buttons would be the issue...
Call can stays the same
Hang-up stays the same
Back stays the same
Home makes it go back to the windows panels
Windows could be the dedicated search button

I think HTC can upgrade if they wanted to, it just comes down to some executive saying yes/no for money reasons

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
That I frankly don't care, I got my HD2 for what it is and not what it possibly could be.

And that for those who are dying for it there's certainly a >50% chance that even if it doesnt come officially, someone on here will hack it. We have 2004 devices originally on PocketPC2003 running WM6.5 today, and having unofficially made all the steps inbetween... that's definitely very far from what they were originally intended for.

Yeah, that would even be better. A WinPhone with 5 buttons, what do you think about that!!

No, just kidding. I think you're right. The HD2 is really well designed. If HTC would just maintain the OS and update the Sense interface on the go, that would be really fine by me.

WinPhone is something for the future, far far ahead. (First wait for the first Winnie-the-Pho 7 generation, then get one when WinPhone 8 comes kicking in)

chalid

Jan 18, 2008
I'm not too surprised and not really disappointed. WP7 is looking way too closed for me. I would have given it a try, if the HD2 was upgradeable, but instead I will switch right to an android device (or hopefully there will be an [inofficial] upgrade for the HD2). Looking at the latest handsets with the latest 2.1 version, I really don't see why I should stick with Microsoft, which are screwing their current customers, who kept WM alive.

de Wolfe

Feb 9, 2009
I wouldn't give too much about this article. Until now WP7 is by far not released and M$ often told a lot of tings that never came true. The funny thing about that company is the fact, that nobody knows ho is really able to give an official statement. I think you will be able to find more then 10 "official" statements by some M$-people about WP7 within the next months...
And about the THREE buttons - what should that mean? Does WP7 not allow QWERTY-phones? If that was true they would just lose lots of business-users that simply want to have HW-keyboard....

Audio Oblivion

Aug 16, 2006
ukbreakbeat.com
Im not fussed about whether HD2 gets an upgrade or not.

WHat i am fussed about (if this is true) is the fact that MS will insist upon each of their WP7 series devices having ONLY 3 buttons and no more.

That would truly suck. Having their 3 buttons makes sense but the restriction for putting any more hardware keys onto a device does not.

I guess i will now seriously be thinking about android for my next device.

RainesX

Nov 4, 2008
Karlshamn
How can they say that this phone dont have what they want?
It has everything except the frontfacing cam that they will use for commands like waving your hand over your phone. (that wont work in darkness)

Anyway not that i would want WP7 since it looks like crap.
And wm6.x will become classic for budget users? wtf? wp7 looks more budget to me :\

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Im not fussed about whether HD2 gets an upgrade or not.

WHat i am fussed about (if this is true) is the fact that MS will insist upon each of their WP7 series devices having ONLY 3 buttons and no more.

That would truly suck. Having their 3 buttons makes sense but the restriction for putting any more hardware keys onto a device does not.

I guess i will now seriously be thinking about android for my next device.

As senseless as it may sound in this discussion, I actually think that it makes sense that Microsoft is constraining phone-makers. I think they should strive for a uniform product. That would be a very good answer to apple and in the end will serve the user better. Now, the user have to choose between a myriad of devices that only on the surface differ from each other. Maybe, when there's just one hardware standard we can look for:
a) a better integration of software and hardware (like the iPhone)
b) a better way to compare several devices
c) a broader platform of third party accessoiries producers

But it would be great if in the meantime there will be still a WM 6.5(.x) platform that is highly customizable by phone-makers. Then we can look forward to two types of Windows Mobile devices: 1. a standard WinPhone and 2. a customized Windows Mobile based phone that each have their own interfaces.

Audio Oblivion

Aug 16, 2006
ukbreakbeat.com
As senseless as it may sound in this discussion, I actually think that it makes sense that Microsoft is constraining phone-makers. I think they should strive for a uniform product. That would be a very good answer to apple and in the end will serve the user better. Now, the user have to choose between a myriad of devices that only on the surface differ from each other. Maybe, when there's just one hardware standard we can look for:
a) a better integration of software and hardware (like the iPhone)
b) a better way to compare several devices
c) a broader platform of third party accessoiries producers

But it would be great if in the meantime there will be still a WM 6.5(.x) platform that is highly customizable by phone-makers. Then we can look forward to two types of Windows Mobile devices: 1. a standard WinPhone and 2. a customized Windows Mobile based phone that each have their own interfaces.

WM6.5.x will still exist alongside WP7... this is a given.

The problem is... for how long? In my opinion... i cant see it being all that long at all... developers will obviously want to port their apps to the newer platform asap. Once this happens... to an extent its game over for 6.5.x

I like your points about how a uniform product can be a good thing... and i agree with having a hardware standard. However... extending the hardware standard to include how many buttons you can put on a device makes no sense to me whatsoever. What if i want to make a device that has a dpad? or trackball? optical mouse? etc etc.... even a simply volume rocker? is this allowed?

Some one needs to clear this up.

Audio Oblivion

Aug 16, 2006
ukbreakbeat.com
Who the hell said that any WP7S device is not allowed to have more than 3 buttons? Right, nobody..

FTA: the phone will be ruled out for the simple reason that it has five buttons instead of the three mandated for all Windows Phone 7 devices.

General Manager for Microsoft’s Mobile Communications Business in the Asia-Pacific region, told APC that the HD2 “doesn’t qualify because it doesn’t have the three buttons”.

Last edited:

Starfury

Feb 10, 2007
I'm sure XDA-Devs will do it ourselves like we seemingly have to do for everything, as the saying goes "if you want something done properly, do it yourself", we have with everything else in the past and I am sure we will with WindowsPhone7Series

shu8i

Nov 4, 2009
New Jersey
Who the hell said that any WP7S device is not allowed to have more than 3 buttons? Right, nobody..

you watched the wp7s introduction video? i don't think so :).

btw. i don't get it. every time anybody asks microsoft about upgrade on the HD2 they just point to come to the mix. I don't think that at the mix they'll just say "no we won't upgrade". Doesn't make any sense; why don't they just say "no" right now? and i don't think that they would say "no" to upgrade right before the US HD2 launch.

shu8i

Nov 4, 2009
New Jersey
The whole show, my friend :) can you give me the exact quote, which says that no more than 3 buttons are allowed? And what about this?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/27/exclusive-lgs-windows-phone-7-series-early-prototype-unveiled/

Is it just me, or are there more than just 3 buttons? :rolleyes:

i don't have the link now, since i watched it live. if you send me a link of the video i will show you that Joe Belfiore explicitly said that wp7s devices will have 3 buttons ;). and the link you posted above will be the first wp7s device from LG with 3!!! buttons on the bottom. if you see more than 3, i'll need glases :D

Sy-32

Feb 26, 2010
Seems all to strange to me...... it's like saying that "you can't upgrade your PC to windows 7 because you have to many buttons on the case or too many usb ports"

Anyway, things may well change between now and release.... (here's hoping)

Well we could go down the iphone users route and demand a free upgrade to a new handset because there is a new Os out........ lol