[Q] Did I get a defective replacement screen? T217S

Search This thread

penone1130

Apr 3, 2010
My wife got a new phone 3 weeks ago (Samsung S5) and in the process was given a "free" Samsung Tab3. Last week the tablet fell of a table and the screen cracked so I decided to play Mr.Wizard and replace the screen. Got the replacement screen, saw the video online and all went pretty smooth. Turn the tablet on and all is still well. Then am trying to set up her e-mail and notice that the 1 on the keyboard does not work. I downloaded an app called Simple Touch Screen Tester and come to find out that the part of the screen where the 1 would be (in portrait mode) is not responding to any touches. If I press down hard on the screen some areas do respond but not all.

Is it possible I got a defective screen? Would spending another $ 20 be worth it?

Or should I return the tablet to Sprint (I assume it is still under the 30 day warranty) and not mention the fact the screen cracked and I replaced it? Can Sprint tell I replaced the screen?

Thanks for any help.

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
My wife got a new phone 3 weeks ago (Samsung S5) and in the process was given a "free" Samsung Tab3. Last week the tablet fell of a table and the screen cracked so I decided to play Mr.Wizard and replace the screen. Got the replacement screen, saw the video online and all went pretty smooth. Turn the tablet on and all is still well. Then am trying to set up her e-mail and notice that the 1 on the keyboard does not work. I downloaded an app called Simple Touch Screen Tester and come to find out that the part of the screen where the 1 would be (in portrait mode) is not responding to any touches. If I press down hard on the screen some areas do respond but not all.

Is it possible I got a defective screen? Would spending another $ 20 be worth it?

Or should I return the tablet to Sprint (I assume it is still under the 30 day warranty) and not mention the fact the screen cracked and I replaced it? Can Sprint tell I replaced the screen?

Thanks for any help.

Since you already replaced the dig, you know what's involved. If you're good at what you do, then Sprint can't tell. I've had a Samsung tab with a dead band within which no touch would register. Sent it to Samsung and all they did was update the firmware. But it can be hardware-related. If you bought a replacement lined with tape, it's possible the back of the digitizer didn't stick evenly to the frame 'cause you did not clean all the glue residue before. That certainly can cause problems. Then you may want to check the connection to the motherboard. It should click when you snap it on correctly. The way Samsung digitizer are built, it doesn't feel like yours is defective. I've had one that literally was smashed to pieces yet persisted.