[REF] Complete List of Roms | Kernels | Rooting/Other Guides for Nexus S (GSM)

Search This thread

al_madd

May 17, 2011
Im tired searching for guides to change my kernel..

please help me..where is it??

al_madd

May 17, 2011
Thanx..

If i want to install new kernel.. i just using ROM Manager??rite??

do i need to choose install ROM from sd card?wipe data??

which ROM and kernel are give battery life longer??

D

Deleted member 2574792

Can this thread either get updated or unstickied? CM7.1 isn't even listed here. I found no 2.3.7 based ROM listed here. Title is very misleading.
I agree. This post has been really useful, but it's very dated. I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to work on it.

Vincentdh

Jul 11, 2010
Okay, this is gonna sound really stupid, but I just replaced my rooted HTC Desire(on MIUI) with a Nexus S.

However, I am having trouble finding what version of the nexus s I have. In the phone options it says I9023XXKF1, but in the bootloader I get: I9020XXKA3, and baseband I9020XXKF1, what version should I be looking at?

Furthermore, I have updated this phone to 2.3.6, which rooting methods can I use?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the stupid questions, but I did search but was unsuccesful at finding answers.

Vincent.

Reactions: darius0519

HeavenlyWinds

Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
Okay, this is gonna sound really stupid, but I just replaced my rooted HTC Desire(on MIUI) with a Nexus S.

However, I am having trouble finding what version of the nexus s I have. In the phone options it says I9023XXKF1, but in the bootloader I get: I9020XXKA3, and baseband I9020XXKF1, what version should I be looking at?

Furthermore, I have updated this phone to 2.3.6, which rooting methods can I use?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the stupid questions, but I did search but was unsuccesful at finding answers.

Vincent.
Hello Vincent, since i noticed you are from Netherlands, theres a big chance you have the LCD version of the Nexus S, you can always check by taking off the battery and looking at a "sticker" that shows information on your phone, if you arent sure you can always call your carrier and ask them what model they gave you.

Here's a rooting guide for the S-LCD Nexus S:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1007782

Considering you know how to backup and flash roms.

After your root you can get MIUI for your Phone:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1181050

Or

Cyanogen MOD7:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297566

Or

The Ice Cream Sandwich Port:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313337

As for your kernel i recommend Franco Kernel for daily use and battery life.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305360

Or

For stable overclocking and speed. Matr1x Kernel is a great choice.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1100448

This are just my recommendations. Happy Flashing and have fun with your NS!

Edit: Whoops,sorry! no wonder i failed my Geo and History exams this term. Sorry, i would of felt insulted if someone got mixed up with my nationality like that!

Last edited:

Vincentdh

Jul 11, 2010
Thanks, for the help, but actually I am from The Netherlands (same flag but sideways :p)

I have the S-LCD version, forgot to mention that, and behind the battery cover it says I9023, so that's clear aswell :)

Will be rooting mine tomorrow, can't wait, stock android really doesn't give me enough options :D

fabulous69

Jan 26, 2009
LYON
France?

Really? Look at my flag, this is french one.

He is from Holland.

Edit: faster than me ^^
once unlock bootloader
drivers intalled.

the following tuto will give you latest CWM recovery and Root.

for 2.3.6 root, you can use this
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8833181/root nexus GRK39F.rar

1/ Put at the root of the SD card the file called: signed_GRK39F_root.zip
2/ Install PDA net and the fastboot drivers of your device
3/ Reboot terminal in fastboot mode (Power+ volume up)
4/ Once the phone is recognized , launch a cmd command :

cd c:\ the location of the fastboot folder
(ex: cd: C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\root nexus GRK39F\3 fastboot)
Tape :
fastboot devices
If you got a serial n° of device, go ahead
TAPE:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

In fastboot, select recovery, after this "install from zip" and select the zip file "signed_GRK39F_root.zip"
(volume up and down to move, power to select)

flash

reboot

You are rooted ;)

Last edited:

blacklion33

Apr 17, 2009
Bucharest
France?

Really? Look at my flag, this is french one.

He is from Holland.

Edit: faster than me ^^
once unlock bootloader
drivers intalled.

the following tuto will give you latest CWM recovery and Root.

for 2.3.6 root, you can use this
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8833181/root nexus GRK39F.rar

1/ Put at the root of the SD card the file called: signed_GRK39F_root.zip
2/ Install PDA net and the fastboot drivers of your device
3/ Reboot terminal in fastboot mode (Power+ volume up)
4/ Once the phone is recognized , launch a cmd command :

cd c:\ the location of the fastboot folder
(ex: cd: C:\Users\Igor\Desktop\root nexus GRK39F\3 fastboot)
Tape :
fastboot devices
If you got a serial n° of device, go ahead
TAPE:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

In fastboot, select recovery, after this "install from zip" and select the zip file "signed_GRK39F_root.zip"
(volume up and down to move, power to select)

flash

reboot

You are rooted ;)

Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot.

Vandam500

Apr 7, 2010
Started working on this guide to get it updated. There is a lot that needs to be added/removed/modified. Stay tuned.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is made with the Nexus S (GSM) in mind. If you have a CDMA Nexus S head to the other thread.

ROMs are in the 2nd post.
    Kernels are in the 4th post.
    Changelog is in the 5th post

*Devs of Roms if you would like different screenshots or description of your ROM shoot me a pm.

Rooting Guides

1-CLICK-ROOT (Windows)
    AllGamer's Complete Rooting Guide
    Jonathon Grigg's Rooting Guide
    W0lv3r1n3's Great Windows Rooting Guide
    Rooting via ADB for Win7&Vista
    The Unlockr's How to Root the Nexus S
    Rooting on Ubuntu
    Koush's Rooting Guide
    kenvan19's Rooting on a Mac
    MOST OF THESE ROMS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE NEXUS S 4G YET, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLASH.

ROMS

4.0 [ICS ROMs]

Screen shots and short descriptions are coming

CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 12
    By Koush

AOSP ICS Build v3
    By kwiboo

NexuSBeam HD
    By Coentje44

(ICS) -Android 4.0
    By eugene373

Ultimate ICS v0.1
    By iceandfire

Super ICS
    By htcclay

Nexus MV
    By MarkVis

Brainmaster’s tweaked ICS v6
    By brainmaster

2.3.4 ROMs

reddv1's Stock Deodexed with KD1 Radio

Stock build that has been deodexed, zipaligned and contains the latest radio.

du5t3r's Stock Deodexed ZipAligned

This stock ROM is completely zipaligned and deodexed. Also has a memory tweak in the re-compiled stock kernel in order to improve battery life. Claims by du5ter is and I quote "FASTEST STOCK ROM YOU'LL FIND"

Blandroid

A AOSP build of 2.3.4 with very few additions added. Its purpose is to be completely stable and used for as a base for other ROMs (such as infin1ty).

"Blandroid is an Android ROM that was created to be as stable as possible while still providing some useful features not found in AOSP"

Oxygen

Built straight from AOSP, this is a minimalistic ROM with a few extra features like Adhoc wifi network support, ddvanced power menu, status bar power widget, and a few more.

infin1ty

While built of AOSP this ROM has more then meets the eye. Lots of additions such as notification control toggles, universal volume controls, SIP calling over 3G, and reboot options in power menu just to name a few.

homescreen.png

camera.png

notification_medium.png

ZuluZulu

This ROM is based off of 2.3.4 AOSP with some tweaks such as transparent status bar and battery percentage.

snap20110515_173846.png

snap20110515_173309.png

snap20110515_174823.png

MIUI

A very unique ROM made by the Chinese. Its running the latest software (2.3.4) and includes a bunch of features not found in other ROMs such as the unique notification toggles, 2 button screen capture, revamped menu system and more. This ROM supports RTL (right to left) Arabic and Hebrew.

dark-new.png

SuperAOSP

SuperAOSP is built completely from scratch and has a plethora of features/additions. It has many features from CyanogenMod 7 along with extras such as SupSetup in which it lets you customize every aspect of the ROM.

0.png

1.png

3.png

Amethyst Nexus

A stock experience with additions such as notification power control, Voodoo sound and a better widget picker.

attachment.php

OpenSoju

Is a AOSP ROM with Netarchys kernel and Zeam launcher out of the box with many other tweaks.

lockscreen.png

homescreen.png

ZuluGen

Based on the latest CM7 Nightly Source with additional stuff such as Netarchy kernel, more recent Google apps and themed sections such as transparent status bar, battery percentage and more.

snap20110605_111627.png

snap20110605_111630.png

CyanogenMod 7 Nightly Builds

Exactly as the title says. Nightly builds are normally released everyday and they include the latest commits from Team Douche. While not all can be considered "stable" this is XDA and we love to flash stuff :D This ROM supports RTL (right to left) Arabic and Hebrew.

NSCollab

This rom is based on a customized CyanogenMod 7 installation featuring Netarchy's latest kernel w/ BLN Support, Supercurio's Voodoo Sound/Color, Stock GB Launcher, and latest GAPPS. Its a mix between CM7 and stock.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ZeROXs

AOSP ROM with extras such as being zipaligned, deodexed, Netarchy kernel and a theme.

snap20110329102439.png

snap20110329102418.png

iceandfire

Built on a nightly version of CM7 This has tons of extra goodies such as the MIUI camera, a different theme, and various performance tweaks and optimizations.

SuperCM7

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Based on a CM7 Nightly, this comes bundled with a theme and some other tweaks

Nexus S Mode

snap20110608191147.png

snap20110608191208.png

snap20110608191054.png

Built from AOSP, this is deodexed, zipaligned and comes with other goodies such as different animations, theme, bootanimation, and Netarchys 1.3.4 CFS Kernel + more.

rAv

sinttulo2n.gif

Built from stock 2.3.4 this ROM has the Jame Bond Sabai kernel, includes the UD launcher, has the neat Apple vs LOL boot animation and a bunch of other tweaks and additions

2.3.3 ROMs

CyanogenMod 7.0.3 (Stable)

The infamous CyanogenMod ROMs go way back to the G1 days. Without a doubt the most widespread ROM across all devices. Its built straight from AOSP with a numerous amount of customization, tweaks and extras with a insane amount of options found everywhere you look. This ROM supports RTL (right to left) Arabic and Hebrew.

NexusSense

The first and only Sense ROM for the Nexus S. It has come a long way but is not quite ready for daily use since many key features are yet to work such as mobile data, camera, bluetooth, etc. However its nice to try out to see what direction the ROM is heading to.

nexussense_header_img1.png

MoDaCo Custom ROM

Based off 2.3.3 this includes Paul's custom Modaco kernel, optimizations and EXT4 performance tweak. This ROM supports RTL (right to left) Arabic and Hebrew. This ROM supports RTL (right to left) Arabic and Hebrew.

nexussss1.png

nexussr12about.png

rebootoptions1.png

Axura

A heavily modified and themed ROM based of 2.3.3. It is deodexed and includes things such as Netarchys kernel + CM7 additions

m2tzRl.jpg

iGBQ4l.jpg

MelYvl.jpg

GingerS

A stock ROM thats been modified to be as stable and fast as possible. Comes with Netarchy kernel and some tweaks from Supercurio

Master's Stock 2.3.3 - Deodexed - Four Flavors

A completely stock ROM that has been deodexed. Comes in 4 different versions that have things such as Voodoo kernel and stock kernel with root or no root.

20110417111834.jpeg

20110417003713.jpeg

Honeycomb 3.0 SDK port

*Warning this is not recommended for new people new to custom roms and what not. It's a proof of concept so take that into account of you decide to try it*

The well known tablet version of Android ported to the Nexus S. Since it is in Alpha 2 and because Google hasn't released the HoneyComb source yet many things are not working. This still won't stop many of us from trying it out and playing with Honeycomb!
    Kernels

Netarchy - Have nearly every addition you could think of. Extremely popular and constantly updated.

Ogdobber's ☆Jame Bond☆ Kernel -Another popular kernel with many different flavors available for use

Trinity 1.44GHz/1.2GHz V2- A OCd kernel with things such as TUN and CIFS.

Trinity UV V2 -While it retains stock speeds, the big difference is this is Undervolted in order to save even more battery life.

Morfic's Honity12 and Honity14 -Morfics kernel are known for their speed and stability. Include the regular features plus a little more right out of the box.

Matr1x -As of now this kernel is based off AOSP code with additions such as Voodoo, BLN, Smartass governor, and support for the Proton Voltage App. Supports CM7, Stock ROMs, and all other ROMs.
    New Addition Coming Soon

I removed ROM Updates section for two reasons. First, with all the ROMs available and the little time I have on my hands (newborn baby, job, and college) it has gotten nearly impossible to catch up and since I don't want it to have something that is always outdated I decided to remove it. Second, all the ROMs have changelogs in their threads, so why go through all the work to duplicate it? Its just a click away :D

Vincent.
    Hello Vincent, since i noticed you are from Netherlands, theres a big chance you have the LCD version of the Nexus S, you can always check by taking off the battery and looking at a "sticker" that shows information on your phone, if you arent sure you can always call your carrier and ask them what model they gave you.

Here's a rooting guide for the S-LCD Nexus S:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1007782

Considering you know how to backup and flash roms.

After your root you can get MIUI for your Phone:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1181050

Or

Cyanogen MOD7:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297566

Or

The Ice Cream Sandwich Port:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313337

As for your kernel i recommend Franco Kernel for daily use and battery life.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305360

Or

For stable overclocking and speed. Matr1x Kernel is a great choice.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1100448

This are just my recommendations. Happy Flashing and have fun with your NS!

Edit: Whoops,sorry! no wonder i failed my Geo and History exams this term. Sorry, i would of felt insulted if someone got mixed up with my nationality like that!