Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Howdy everyone!

Here's another neat root!

What is this?

This is a very simply and easy to use root package for the LG G2.
For now I'm calling it IORoot, despite the fact that it's not really all that deserving of a name.

Which phones does this support?

Currently the following phones are supported by this root package:

• AT&T G2 (D800) - D80010d
  • Verizon G2 (VS980) - VS98010B (Shipping ROM)
  • Verizon G2 (VS980) - VS98011A (OTA)
  • T-Mobile G2 (Shipping ROM)
  • KT F320k (Shipping ROM)
  • Rogers D803 (Shipping ROM)
  • Bell D803 (Shipping ROM)
  • Telus D803 (Shipping ROM)
  • OPEN D802 (Shipping ROM)

How do I use this?

Here's a video!

Or, in List Form:
  1. Ensure you have the proper USB drivers installed, and your phone is in the proper mode (For Verizon, use Ethernet mode on the PC settings menu)
  2. Enable Developer Mode on your phone and enable USB Debugging
  3. Extract this zip file somewhere on your PC
  4. Run root.bat
  5. The phone will ask you to disconnect USB, disable USB debugging, then re-enable it and plug the phone back in, do so when prompted
  6. You will then be asked if you would like to have a superuser package installed, which you can accept or decline

Why is it asking if I want to 'trip rootchecker'?

LG's phones come with some software loaded that detects the presence of root on a phone, and invalidates your warranty.
Rooting the phone, by nature, voids your warranty. You can put your phone in a special mode where ADB shell has root permissions, however your phone is not technically 'rooted' by app standards.

You will not be able to use 'root required' apps on your phone if you do not let the root script install Superuser.

Okay, where do I get this?

See @autoprime's post here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869

-- OLD VERSION --
Code:
[url]http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lg_g2/root/ioroot10.zip[/url]

I'll be keeping this link up to date, and changing the version number as new releases come out.
Please do not mirror this link, as it makes my life easier to keep everything under one roof. Thanks!

News:

NEW UPDATE: Now supports F320k on KT :D
NEW NEW UPDATE: Supports the VZW OTA, haven't confirmed yet, but this should do the trick.
NEW NEW NEW UPDATE: Thanks to DeamonFish in IRC, we now have a lovely howto video for this root!
NEW NEW NEW NEW UPDATE: Rogers AND Bell AND Telus AND D802 now supported!

Okay guys, so, @autoprime is taking over from here -- see his post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869 and be sure to thank him!

Help! I cant even! I accidentally a phone!

Calm down, don't panic. Join us in #lg-g2 on Freenode.
If you're new to IRC, click here http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#lg-g2 and it'll connect you to the channel.

I'm IOMonster on IRC, I still don't know why I have two nicknames. Personality disorder I suppose ;)

PLEASE don't PM me on XDA asking for help. My inbox has exploded, and can no longer handle it. I will not be able to help you over PM of any sort (IRC or XDA, or even email).

Alright guys, let me know if you run into any issues!

Last edited:

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
Howdy everyone!

This is confirmed to work for the ATT and Verizon variants, I'll add support for T-Mobile as soon as I get someone in #lg-g2 in Freenode who owns one.

Simple:
  1. Ensure you have ADB drivers installed and USB Debugging enabled
  2. Extract this .zip file somewhere
  3. Run the root.bat file, and read the instructions

During the installation, you'll have to disable USB Debugging and re-enable it, then the app will ask you if you care about rootcheckerd (rctd).
If you don't want your phone to show "rooted" in download mode, or in settings, hit CTRL-C when prompted and you'll just have a root shell through ADB.

Personally, this is enough for me, but if you want full root, press continue and it'll install superuser and a superuser binary for you.

PLEASE do not mirror this! It makes my life easy if I can just edit the file on my server if need be instead of contacting all the mirrors.

First!!! Thanks IO and all the devs responsible :highfive:

Last edited:

friguy3

Mar 1, 2007
Manalapan, NJ
Can you explain the difference between root shell (leaving it to say unrooted) and "full" root? Will this affect once we get a way to unlock the bootloader or get a recovery for roms? And is there a way to unroot? Thanks for this!!

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Can you explain the difference between root shell (leaving it to say unrooted) and "full" root? Will this affect once we get a way to unlock the bootloader or get a recovery for roms? And is there a way to unroot? Thanks for this!!

Root shell allows you to have root only through ADB. Apps on the phone will not be able to use the root functions of the device if you don't let my script install superuser.

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
What can we do if we rooted with that weird Chinese exe?

How can I unroot so that I can use this?

RiverdALIEN

Nov 18, 2012
Howdy everyone!

http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lg_g2/root/ioroot2.zip

This is confirmed to work for the ATT and Verizon variants, I'll add support for T-Mobile as soon as I get someone in #lg-g2 in Freenode who owns one.

Simple:

During the installation, you'll have to disable USB Debugging and re-enable it, then the app will ask you if you care about rootcheckerd (rctd).
If you don't want your phone to show "rooted" in download mode, or in settings, hit CTRL-C when prompted and you'll just have a root shell through ADB.

Personally, this is enough for me, but if you want full root, press continue and it'll install superuser and a superuser binary for you.

PLEASE do not mirror this! It makes my life easy if I can just edit the file on my server if need be instead of contacting all the mirrors.

what happened to the other thread (which links to this one) in which there were t-mobile variant rooting instructions? i mean i know what happened, they were deleted but why?

woof123

Dec 10, 2012
Guys im about to get this version soon LG G2 F320S LTE-A 4G LTE,its the korean version of the phone.Does the root works with this version too?Or if not is there any root that works?I hate on screen buttons and the 1st think i want to do when i get it,is to hide them lol

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
what happened to the other thread (which links to this one) in which there were t-mobile variant rooting instructions? i mean i know what happened, they were deleted but why?

The other thread contained a link to a root that could possibly compromise your phone's security (and your desktop too, since there's all sorts of other stuff in those exe files).

If someone pops into the #lg-g2 chan with a TMO phone I'll gladly support TMO as well!

If you did happen to use the old root, I'd recommend restoring your phone back to stock with the TOT / KDZ files before applying this root.

Reactions: monho

Wesley32

Jun 4, 2012
Louisville
Most definitely thanks, I see I have USB debugging on but am not sure what is meant by:

command prompt and type adb devices, you should see your Serial Number and online.

Command prompt from where?

Thanks...

Mike

You need to have the android sdk installed on your computer. I find it easier to use a distro of linux but windows is fine too. Find android sdk install and make sure adb is in the /platform-tools folder. Then run this adb devices cmd with your phone attached via usb and if it works you should have an rsa security pop up on your phone you have to allow. Then your phone is connected via adb.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: lumpysherman

RiverdALIEN

Nov 18, 2012
The other thread contained a link to a root that could possibly compromise your phone's security (and your desktop too, since there's all sorts of other stuff in those exe files).

If someone pops into the #lg-g2 chan with a TMO phone I'll gladly support TMO as well!

If you did happen to use the old root, I'd recommend restoring your phone back to stock with the TOT / KDZ files before applying this root.

how does one "pop into the #lg-g2 chan" ? i have a tmo g2 and i'm no dev or hacker but i'm clever and have been rooting and customizing since 4.0.

all i really want at this point is the ability to remove the bloatware and then possibly unroot

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
What can we do if we rooted with that weird Chinese exe?

How can I unroot so that I can use this?

:eek: Sorry... can you please explain how to do this? Or at least point me towards the right posts?

You will need to go back to stock, and then reroot with this rooter.

If you are on VZW ONLY, follow my guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448960

if you are on anything else, this guide is better to follow, but I had issues with the first section (which is why I wrote my VZW-specific guide) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

lFK49WW.png
    ioroot

ioroot latest update jun172014

ioroot is an untethered jailbreak for LG android phones and tablets.
    Gain full administrator access to your device to run cool themes and neat apps that require root.

G2 models supported by ioroot jailbreak:

D800 (ATT) - All
    D801 (TMO) - All 4.2.2 // No 4.4.2, (CLR/VTR) - All 4.2.2 // 4.4.2 ??), (WND) - All
    D802/T - All
    D803 - All
    D805 - All
    D806 - All
    F320K - Shipping 4.2.2 ROM/20a/20f // 4.4.2 ??
    F320L - Shipping 4.2.2 ROM/20b/20e // 4.4.2 ??
    F320S - Shipping 4.2.2 ROM/20a/20g // 4.4.2 ??
    LS980 (SPR) - All
    VS980 (VZW) - All

To see a list of all ioroot supported devices click the button below...

LG Optimus G - All

LG G2:
    D800 (ATT) - All
    D801 (TMO) - All 4.2.2 // No 4.4.2 support, (CLR/VTR) - All 4.2.2 // 4.4.2 ??), (WND) - All
    D802/T - All
    D803 - All
    D805 - All
    D806 - All
    F320K - Shipping 4.2.2 ROM/20a/20f // 4.4.2 ??
    F320L - Shipping 4.2.2 ROM/20b/20e // 4.4.2 ??
    F320S - Shipping 4.2.2 ROM/20a/20g // 4.4.2 ??
    LS980 (SPR) - All
    VS980 (VZW) - All

LG G3
    F400K - 4.4.2 10B
    F400L - 4.4.2 10A
    F400S - 4.4.2 10B
    LS990 - 4.4.2 ZV2

LG G Flex:
    F340 series - All 4.2.2 // 4.4.2 ??
    D950 (ATT) - All 4.2.2 // No 4.4.2 support
    D955 series - All 4.2.2
    D958 series - All 4.2.2 // No 4.4.2 support
    D959 (TMO) - All 4.2.2 // No 4.4.2 support
    LS995 (SPR) - All

LG G Pro - All 4.4.2

LG G Pro 2:
    F350 series - Shipping ROM // 4.4.2 ??
    D838 - Shipping ROM // 4.4.2 ??

LG G Pad 8.3 - All

Download:
    Code:
    [URL="http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/ioroot/ioroot.zip"]http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/ioroot/ioroot.zip[/URL]
    Changelog...

Code:
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][B]jun172014: cleaned everything up. 
    v25r1: Script fixes: Proper D802T support, LGOG EFS backup typo, better 4.4.2 detection.
    v25: added root for most 4.4.2 devices. Thx to [user=4454918]@jarari2[/user] for the stock recovery idea. 
    v24: added support for G2 D800 10q, G Flex D956 and G Pro 2 F350K/L/S(thx to [user=581992]@hkfriends[/user] for confirming ioroot method still works)
    v23: added support for AT&T G Flex D950 10c.
    v22: added support for TMO D959 G Flex. Tweaked scripts EFS backup.
    v21: added support for Sprint LS980ZVA update. Added EFS backup support. 
    v20: added support for all D802/D805/D806. Updated all scripts. Added LG Optimus G and LG G Flex support. SuperSu now installs to /system. 
    v19: added support for MORE F320 4.4 firmware. Added Singtel D802 support. Linux/Mac script fixes.
    v18: added support for MORE F320 4.4 firmware. Added Vodafone(VDF) carrier. Tweaked scripts.
    v17: added F320* 4.4 KitKat root. Added SuperSu.4.4 users must reboot after running root script(mac/linux)
    v16: added TMO 10g root and "SCA" root(D802/D805)
    v15: added ATT 10o root. 
    v12: added Verizon 12B root.
    v11: added [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47317792&postcount=497"]linux support and Sprint LS980 root[/URL](both thanks to [user=2413393]@Shelnutt2[/user])[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Now accepting donations to get my own LG G3 ;)

How-to:

Easy as 1-2-3!

1 Run ioroot.bat, ioroot.sh, ioroot.tool or open command prompt/terminal, cd into /ioroot/bts/ and type;
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    jimV21P.jpg

If you DO NOT have this menu in stock recovery IOroot will not work for you!

2 Select "Apply update from ADB" w/power button. Sideload mode is now enabled.
    jU82VHA.jpg

3 Hit a button to continue the ioroot script or manually sideload;
    Code:
    adb sideload datroot.zip
    DAT ROOT means JAILBREAK!
    zWp7Ksx.jpg

Extended info and FAQ below...

Windows Drivers:
    Verizon Drivers - HERE
    Drivers for everyone else - HERE

Download and extract the latest ioroot.zip... datroot.zip is inside the bts folder.
    ioroot also jailbreaks other LG devices. Supported devices are found in the device list in this thread.
    Enable "USB Debugging" on phone. Accept RSA certificate to allow ADB access. Not accepting RSA will cause ADB device to show as "offline"
    Verizon users must also enable "Ethernet" for USB mode.

Windows:
    Install drivers.
    Double-click on ioroot.bat in ioroot folder.

Linux:
    Open terminal and cd into /ioroot/ folder
    chmod +x ioroot.sh
    ./root.sh

Mac:
    double-click on ioroot.tool* in ioroot folder.

** may need to chmod +x the file first.

FAQ
    Q: Will this jailbreak other LG devices?
    A: It will jailbreak any LG device which can be booted into stock recovery with menu. Confirmed devices are found in the device list in this thread.

Q: Why do I see an android with a red x or just reboot when I try to get into recovery?
    A: Your device has a lame recovery and may have issues jailbreaking w/current IOroot 4.4.2.

Q: Will this root non-LG devices?
    A: Probably not.

Q: The script doesn't work for me, can you help?
    A: No, use terminal to manually enter the commands or ask for help in the thread.

Q: I can't get 'adb devices' to see me phone, can you help?
    A: learn2android

Q: Know any hip places to hang out and talk with other rad people about the LG G2?
    A: Check us out on IRC: #lg-g2 on Freenode

EFS Backup:

Code:
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][B]Backup EFS after jailbreaking your G2. EFS is split into 2 partitions modemst1 and modemst2. 
    Save the .img files somewhere in case you need them in the future(email, cloud, etc..).[/B]

[B]Backup:[/B]
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1 of=/sdcard/modemst1.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2 of=/sdcard/modemst2.img

[B]Restore:[/B]
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/modemst1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1
    dd if=/sdcard/modemst2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2[/FONT]

Code:
    [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"][B][SIZE="4"]About ioroot[/SIZE][/B]

ioroot was originally a Windows script to root the LG G2 on 4.2.2 [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448887"]made by IOMonster[/URL].
    It was based on the original adb backdoor found by GiantPune and later [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2169117"]posted by jcase[/URL].
    The script has grown to run on Windows, Linux and OSX and support various other LG devices on Android 4.0 - 4.4.2... 
    Supported devices include LG Optimus G, G2, G3, G Pro, G Pro 2, G Flex, G Pad, L70, L80, L90, G2 mini and more.
    4.4.2 recovery root [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51507049#post51507049"](datroot.zip)[/URL] by autoprime. [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48709232"]IOroot 12+[/URL] by autoprime.[/FONT][/B]
    y u no hit thanks button?​
    Howdy everyone!

What is this?

This is a very simply and easy to use root package for the LG G2.
    For now I'm calling it IORoot, despite the fact that it's not really all that deserving of a name.

Which phones does this support?

Currently the following phones are supported by this root package:

• AT&T G2 (D800) - D80010d
    • Verizon G2 (VS980) - VS98010B (Shipping ROM)
    • Verizon G2 (VS980) - VS98011A (OTA)
    • T-Mobile G2 (Shipping ROM)
    • KT F320k (Shipping ROM)
    • Rogers D803 (Shipping ROM)
    • Bell D803 (Shipping ROM)
    • Telus D803 (Shipping ROM)
    • OPEN D802 (Shipping ROM)

How do I use this?

Here's a video!

Or, in List Form:
    1. Ensure you have the proper USB drivers installed, and your phone is in the proper mode (For Verizon, use Ethernet mode on the PC settings menu)
    2. Enable Developer Mode on your phone and enable USB Debugging
    3. Extract this zip file somewhere on your PC
    4. Run root.bat
    5. The phone will ask you to disconnect USB, disable USB debugging, then re-enable it and plug the phone back in, do so when prompted
    6. You will then be asked if you would like to have a superuser package installed, which you can accept or decline

Why is it asking if I want to 'trip rootchecker'?

LG's phones come with some software loaded that detects the presence of root on a phone, and invalidates your warranty.
    Rooting the phone, by nature, voids your warranty. You can put your phone in a special mode where ADB shell has root permissions, however your phone is not technically 'rooted' by app standards.

You will not be able to use 'root required' apps on your phone if you do not let the root script install Superuser.

Okay, where do I get this?

See @autoprime's post here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869

-- OLD VERSION --
    Code:
    [url]http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lg_g2/root/ioroot10.zip[/url]

I'll be keeping this link up to date, and changing the version number as new releases come out.
    Please do not mirror this link, as it makes my life easier to keep everything under one roof. Thanks!

News:

NEW UPDATE: Now supports F320k on KT :D
    NEW NEW UPDATE: Supports the VZW OTA, haven't confirmed yet, but this should do the trick.
    NEW NEW NEW UPDATE: Thanks to DeamonFish in IRC, we now have a lovely howto video for this root!
    NEW NEW NEW NEW UPDATE: Rogers AND Bell AND Telus AND D802 now supported!

Okay guys, so, @autoprime is taking over from here -- see his post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869 and be sure to thank him!

Help! I cant even! I accidentally a phone!

Calm down, don't panic. Join us in #lg-g2 on Freenode.
    If you're new to IRC, click here http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#lg-g2 and it'll connect you to the channel.

I'm IOMonster on IRC, I still don't know why I have two nicknames. Personality disorder I suppose ;)

PLEASE don't PM me on XDA asking for help. My inbox has exploded, and can no longer handle it. I will not be able to help you over PM of any sort (IRC or XDA, or even email).

Alright guys, let me know if you run into any issues!
    ioroot25

4.4.2 root is here.
    Download HERE

Changelog:
    v25 - Added root for 4.4.2 devices. Now works on most LG 4.4.2 devices. Exceptions being the TMO D801 G2 and D838 G Pro 2.
    Thanks to @jarari2 for the idea to go through stock recovery.

Manual method below if you don't wanna use script:
    Code:
    [SIZE="1"]Download and extract the latest IOroot.zip
    Enable USB Debugging. VZW users must also enable ethernet mode. 
    Open terminal/command prompt. windows/linux users: cd into /ioroot folder. mac users cd into /ioroot/mac
    (windows users can hold shift key, right click in ioroot folder. Select "open command window" option.

copy/paste commands below.. hitting enter/return after each line. [/SIZE]

[B][I]adb devices
    adb reboot recovery
    [SIZE="2"](when booted in recovery, select: 'apply update from adb' with power button)[/SIZE]
    adb sideload kk_root.zip[/I][/B]

reboot when zip finishes flashing. done.

*ATTENTION*
    Verizon G2 4.4.2 seems to nag about files being modded or a virus being installed... obviously there are more checks in place to detect root. I assume a simple .apk freeze will fix the nag... which apk though.. I do not know. That's for you guys for bother with ;)

*ATTENTION 2.0*
    Want to install custom recovery? It's under beta testing right now but read this - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51512054&postcount=5003
    no support for D803/VS980 yet until new kernel is built.. everyone else should be good to go. READ READ READ before doing anything.

*ATTENTION 3.0*
    It seems that the TMO D801 KK update doesn't allow you to use "adb reboot recovery" to drop into stock recovery... so ioroot25 will not work on TMO KK devices UNLESS someone finds another way to adb sideload on stock recovery. Without having the device myself... I cannot test methods to do this... so it's up to you TMO D801 users!

If you like my work feel free to DONATE
    Howdy everyone!

Simple:

First!!! Thanks IO and all the devs responsible :highfive:

Root shell allows you to have root only through ADB. Apps on the phone will not be able to use the root functions of the device if you don't let my script install superuser.