[DISCONTINUED] CM9/ICS Nightly Builds

Search This thread

jdebay

Feb 5, 2011
Holliston. MA
The latest nightly?

The latest nightly update-encore-20120421.zip is bad. It is only 5.2mb big and will not even open to see what is going on. Sorry to say this.

Keep up the good work. Image works fine for me.
:confused::confused:

deshwasi

Mar 20, 2006
I did this install a while ago. pardon me but i forget how to update it. can someone put a quick 1-2step process on how to update to current nightly? i have a sd card based setup using the verygreen method. dont remember if i need to pop out the sd card and copy the "update" file to the root directory or can i use rommanager app to do this?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I did this install a while ago. pardon me but i forget how to update it. can someone put a quick 1-2step process on how to update to current nightly? i have a sd card based setup using the verygreen method. dont remember if i need to pop out the sd card and copy the "update" file to the root directory or can i use rommanager app to do this?
Pop out the card and put the file on the root directory. Put back in and using the boot menu boot to SD recovery. Do not use rommanager, that is for emmc installs.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Reactions: deshwasi

deshwasi

Mar 20, 2006
anyone have a recommendation for the best (most stable) nightly build so far? i have to set one up to give to someone who just needs to use it for email/web. dont want any surprises. if someone has a favorite nightly pls let me know asap. thanks. (i have the 4/26 one running for a day or so. seems ok but dont have enough time to test it as the guest is leaving tomorrow)

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
anyone have a recommendation for the best (most stable) nightly build so far? i have to set one up to give to someone who just needs to use it for email/web. dont want any surprises. if someone has a favorite nightly pls let me know asap. thanks. (i have the 4/26 one running for a day or so. seems ok but dont have enough time to test it as the guest is leaving tomorrow)
Use eyeballers 4/28 non-opengl version (on techerrata.com). It has the new, non-rotated kernel and is very stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henk Poley

deshwasi

Mar 20, 2006
can i still flash TWRP to emmc and have the same setup i have (nook color on emmc and CM9 on sd card). no biggie if not. i can still use the script (you posted) for the direct install of nightlies? thanks a lot for your help leapinlar.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
can i still flash TWRP to emmc and have the same setup i have (nook color on emmc and CM9 on sd card). no biggie if not. i can still use the script (you posted) for the direct install of nightlies? thanks a lot for your help leapinlar.
Yes. TWRP works on emmc. As long as you use it for emmc only. But I don't know if TWRP has the option of putting the nandroid backup files on the emmc media partition or not. If not, you must swap out your CM SD for an ordinary SD before doing a nandroid backup of emmc. And you still need to use the special script on the SD boot partition to install new nightlies to SD.

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Yes. TWRP works on emmc. As long as you use it for emmc only. But I don't know if TWRP has the option of putting the nandroid backup files on the emmc media partition or not. If not, you must swap out your CM SD for an ordinary SD before doing a nandroid backup of emmc. And you still need to use the special script on the SD boot partition to install new nightlies to SD.

Yes, TWRP can switch between internal and external memory for storing backups. Default is actually internal memory and you can change it in the mounts menu.

Samiam303

May 15, 2010
Cleveland
www.sphsolutions.net
I haven't flashed telephony in a long time, I'm pretty sure it's integrated now.

For what it's worth -- as far as I know this fix hasn't been integrated into the rom. The reason for this is that it isn't strictly supposed to be -- the nook doesn't support phone functionality so the file allowing for phone permissions isn't present on the nook. From what I understand, it used to be included in CM7 because there was no real official "tablet" configuration before ICS, so everything was just assumed to be a phone. However, since ICS now takes into account that some devices may not be phones, the nook color is configured as a tablet instead of a phone.

What this means is that we've ended up with a number of apps who request phone permissions even though they have plenty of other features that aren't phone specific, and thus don't show up on tablets. This, ideally, should be fixed by the developers either releasing a tablet version of their app or just finding a way to do the same thing without using the phone permission. However, in the mean time it's useful for us to "hack" in the phone permission even though it isn't going to be included in the main build configuration. Sure, I could just include it in my builds -- but I made the decision to keep these as stock source builds so as to avoid introducing any outside bugs or issues.

tl;dr version: as far as I know you still should flash the .zip if you're interested in seeing all the apps.

bhalbower

Oct 13, 2010
replacement wpa_supplicant file for ICS

Anyone find a good replacement wpa_supplicant file for ICS that would enable Ad-Hoc WiFi mod? Can't tether my Nook to my phone now that I have upgraded from CM7 to CM9. (I don't have a phone that can allow infrastructure WiFi connections. I have tried several that used to work for CM7 with no luck. Not worth downgrading to CM7 just for Ad-hoc tethering so I am living without it for now.

Samiam303

May 15, 2010
Cleveland
www.sphsolutions.net
Anyone find a good replacement wpa_supplicant file for ICS that would enable Ad-Hoc WiFi mod? Can't tether my Nook to my phone now that I have upgraded from CM7 to CM9. (I don't have a phone that can allow infrastructure WiFi connections. I have tried several that used to work for CM7 with no luck. Not worth downgrading to CM7 just for Ad-hoc tethering so I am living without it for now.

I don't know the answer to this question, but you may have more luck posting it in the general ICS dev thread than in the thread specific to my builds.

gnuts

Jan 9, 2010
Hello all, firstly I must say thank you. I have been using the nightlies for quite a while. For the last few rounds I noticed posts that stated that flashing the gapps file from the misc folder was no longer necessary. My experience had been different in that when I flash a new nightly the gmail icon is still present but when clicked the screen flashes and goes straight back to the app menu screen. I have worked around this by reinstalling the gapps file. Today I flashed the newest nightly and went to the misc folder and it is gone where can I get a gapps file and or what do I need to do to fix my wonderful ics nook so that I no longer need to reinstall? thanks for reading my question.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Hello all, firstly I must say thank you. I have been using the nightlies for quite a while. For the last few rounds I noticed posts that stated that flashing the gapps file from the misc folder was no longer necessary. My experience had been different in that when I flash a new nightly the gmail icon is still present but when clicked the screen flashes and goes straight back to the app menu screen. I have worked around this by reinstalling the gapps file. Today I flashed the newest nightly and went to the misc folder and it is gone where can I get a gapps file and or what do I need to do to fix my wonderful ics nook so that I no longer need to reinstall? thanks for reading my question.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium
The gapps that were in the misc folder were old and outdated. You should get them at goo.im/gapps. Look for the latest ics version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 8/25/12, this project is officially discontinued. All information below is for archival purposes only and will not be supported henceforth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION
    Now that Fattire has lifted his request that everyone build their own zips, I've decided to make available the nightly builds I've been generating. I've got an OS X system cranking out a new build every night at midnight, so there will always be an up to date zip available!

Credit for this rom goes to Fattire, Dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, arcee and the the other hard working people over in the development thread, as well as the the CyanogenMod developers and anyone who's done work on the Nook Color. I wish I could list everyone by name but there's so many great people who've made contributions I can't even begin to do so. I'm just building zips from the source; we'd be nowhere without the contributions these great developers have made to this community.

As nighty builds, these zips may not always work. I'll try to remove any zip found to be broken, but you know the drill: All files provided here are to be installed at your own risk. I'm making built zips available, but no warranty is expressed or implied by the hosting of said zips. I'll provide what support I'm able to, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potentially unknown bugs. If you have questions, you should check the development thread or try the #NookColor IRC channnel on irc.freenode.net.

As posted by Fattire slightly further down, anyone feeling adventurous should definitely consider building from source rather than downloading the built zips. Here's his two cents:
    Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough

However, if you're not quite sold on setting up a development environment but you still want to try the goodness that is Ice Cream Sandwich, proceeed on down to the...

DOWNLOADS
    Without further ado: The Ice Cream Sandwich zips!
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nightly Builds.

The rom does not include the google apps, so you can/should flash the lastest version of those, which is available here.

Finally, I've hosted a few flashable zip files to make small tweaks to the rom. These are all located in the misc. folder on my server. Below is an explanation of each zip and its purpose.

MISC FOLDER INFO

If you notice that some apps are missing from the market, this may be due to the fact that these ICS builds for the nook do not include support for apps which request phone permissions. Although this ideally would be fixed by developers not requesting phone permissions for their app unless it absolutely needs to be phone-specific, you can also fix it by flashing the telephony-permissions-fix.zip file located in the misc folder. You will likely want to flash this file immediately after flashing your rom.

Secondly, if you prefer the old bootanimation from the galaxy nexus, you can also flash the fix-bootanimation.zip located in the Misc. folder, which replace the new CM9 animation it with Homer_S_xda's fixed version. Thanks to Homer for the fix!

NOTES ON INSTALLING TO SD
    I've fixed Verygreen's sd installer image to work with ICS -- you should no longer have to flash SP1 first, or rename the gapps to gapps-gb. If you test out this image, please let me know how it works for you! More recently, Leapinlar has stepped up in helping to fix the image further, increasing its size to allow for the larger size of the new nightlies. Thanks to him for his help -- It's available for download here. Huge thanks to Verygreen for helping me to figure out what needed to be fixed -- in the words of HacDan, "He's not just super helpful, he's a genius". Once you've got the new image, you can use Verygreen's original instructions from his thread on SD Installs, replacing "cm7" with "cm9" where necessary.

IN CONCLUSION
    Please remember to thank the developers working on this project, as they've done seriously awesome things for us in an amazingly short amount of time. If you have questions/comments specifically regarding my zips, please post them here, but if you have more general questions regarding Ice Cream Sandwich on the NC you may want to head on over to the development thread. Finally, if you're really enjoying the rom I'd strongly recommend that you try setting up a build environment and building your own zips -- even though I'm making prebuilt ones available they're no substitute for the experience gained by getting familiar with the build process yourself, and Fattire has done a great job of making it an extremely accessible and rewarding project.
    It seems that a while back my build system broke for some reason, and I just haven't ever had time to focus on getting it back in working order -- I've started a new job and am going back to school, so I think at this point I'm just going to officially discontinue this project and leave you guys in Eyeballer's well qualified hands. Thanks to everyone who used my builds -- this was a fun project for me and I hope you all enjoyed it too.
    And you can build too!

Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough
    So I've fallen off the forum a bit in recent weeks/months, but it's summer now so I'm back! In the interest of trying to bring this thread back up to date with the new developments, I've FINALLY gotten around to making a change I'd been meaning to make for a long time now -- my builds will now clobber after uploading each nightly to the server, so every one will be a clean scratch build. Hopefully this'll get rid of any issues that may have been kicking around from reusing the code.

EDIT: I also want to thank those helpful posters -- I have leapinlar primarily in mind but there's too many to name individually -- who have been tirelessly providing user support and keeping this thread alive. You guys are a great help to the community!
    I'm sorry, but the poster who comes into a ROM build post for the Nook Color in the Nook Color development section of XDA and says they have dumped it for a Fire because the Fire is faster (duh it has a dual core processor and was released a year later than the Color), is the troll.

Mods you can remove this whole string of off-topic posts started by the troll.

Done... Carry on folks!