[HOWTO] *Layman's iGo Jig* [Solderless]

Search This thread

Xstop

Nov 8, 2010
Turn around...
"Layman's iGo Jig" (Solderless)

RadioShack

Subtract $.99, Bought the 1/2 watt resistor, which I did not need.

zero.jpg

But YOU will NEED these:

three.jpg

And

one.jpg

two.jpg

Those two items is all you need to make this work, no soldering iron.

Now the reason I purchased the iGo adapter is cause of this guy here: As you can see, there is 6 pins on this thing.
Micro-USB has 5 pin connections. On a hunch, I was hoping all 5 pins were some how connected to the to the 6 pin adapter, so we didn't have to try and solder the resistor to pin 4, usually hidden in most setups.

IMG_0857.jpg

Now the most difficult part of this whole process, was trying to get the micro-usb apart, which wasn't that hard at all.
Just take your time. I used a razor, scissors, and my teeth, lol. This is one part I didn't take pics, sorry. But try and "skin" (sort of like peeling) the black piece off.
Once that is off, you'll see a white plastic piece also around it, "skin" that one off too.
Once the white plastic piece is off.
The micro-usb connector and the 6 pin board is held together with a silicone compound that is bonded to the wires.
SLOWLY start picking the silicone compound away. It's really not that hard, just takes time.
Once that is done you should have some thing like this:
six.jpg

Now take your resistors and connect them in series: These are again, 100k resistor x 3. Should look like:
four.jpg

Now let's take a close up of the micro-usb connector. I don't know exactly which is which but I do know that both are pin 4 and 5!
IMG_0840-1.jpg

Look at how long they are...that's what makes them special. Pin 4 is not hidden!
eight.jpg

seven.jpg

Since you got this far now just stick that bad boy in (please make sure the phone is turned off).
I should of cleaned up the wires but I was sort of in a rush:
VERY IMPORTANT: Don't let the other wires touch the connectors to the usb!
ten.jpg

That image is with the screen facing me.

Now put in your battery, and take your resistors that you made and connect one end to pin 4 and the other to pin 5, not necessarily in that order.
Make sure you hold the resistors to the pin for at least 3 sec.

Viola!!! DOWNLOAD MODE!!

This was a quick fix for a jig that I needed to get MY phone working without soldering iron, and it worked. The hardest thing so far that I read about making a jig is getting to pin 4 that is usually not being used and hidden. At least this way it's easier to access.
I will end up buying another one and re-making my iGo jig to a more sturdier standard.

By all means, I am not a expertise in this field. I just been reading alot of threads and learn as I go.
So I am sure anyone can make this jig to revive their bricked phone. Trust me, if I can make it, so can you. :D

IMG_0865.jpg

*edit: But if you have the chance, please pick up the 1k resistor also (not shown).
100k x3 and 1k resistor, this is the exact recommended ohms to make this work. 301k > It's the right way.

*I do recommend for those that have successfully done this, to (learn) solder the end pieces together. Pin 4 and 5 are long enough so it shouldn't really be that hard.
You won't have the tedious task of trying to manually connecting the two ends every time you want to go into download mode.
Plus I believe basic soldering skill is a must if you like tweaking or a hobbyist of electronic components.*

All the images were take after I was able to get it in download mode. Was not really thinking about doing this write-up, until after the last picture.
Hoping it may help the community one way or the other, and save some $$$

Last edited:

buddy17

Aug 9, 2010
although a sloppy first attempt....this is GREAT knowing that there is an option out there. Thanks for doing the dirty work and purposely bricking your phone to help everyone else. Takes more guts than i have

nybmx

Sep 3, 2010
Great thread. Thanks for doing this kind of thing for the community. I already felt comfortable that Odin could save me a lot of trouble, but now I feel like I can go completely nuts and not half to worry.;)

Reactions: WandererTJ

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
So I thought you had to get into Download mode WHILE the phone is plugged into your computer and ODIN is running.

If I understand right, you can use this jig to get into download mode, unplug the jig, and then hook up your phone to a computer and run ODIN?

jp712

Sep 10, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So I thought you had to get into Download mode WHILE the phone is plugged into your computer and ODIN is running.

If I understand right, you can use this jig to get into download mode, unplug the jig, and then hook up your phone to a computer and run ODIN?

My thoughts also? What do I do after connecting pins 4 and 5 with the resistors?

(Haven't bricked it ... yet! :-D )

Xstop

Nov 8, 2010
Turn around...

Yes, you are correct. When using the jig, your phone will not be connected to anything, except the jig itself. But before using it, you should take out your battery, SIM, and SD (if you have one).

Plug the jig in > put in the battery > connect with resistor for 2 to 3 sec.
Once the screen is in "Download Mode" > pull jig > open Odin3 on computer > plug in usb to phone > then run Odin3 > done. :)

Last edited:

Xstop

Nov 8, 2010
Turn around...
:eek:

For anyone else needing a usb cable, i suggest ebay.

Yes I do advise to get it cheaper if you can.

But this is what I had to do to get it up and running that same night, just wasn't that important to me to save $10 for something that will get to me in a week. And I'm sure if you were in the same situation, you would of done the same thing to get your phone up and running.

But THANKS! I needed that link. :D

darkamikaze

Aug 7, 2010
Candyland
9.3% isn't bad.. it's 9.75% here :T ..

and to sum up this article!
you don't really need to solder anything as long as you just rip the usb apart so the wires don't touch when you make your jig!

SiL3nTKiLL

Jun 19, 2006
pretty legit mod, imma try and clean this up a bit and see if i can do a better looking job (no offense on ur job though!)

xredjokerx

Nov 25, 2009
Another "How To"

Alright guys, I bricked my phone last week (well, not bricked but disabled my 3 button combos and it was FCing on OS boot), and so I set out on the forums to find a clean-solderless alternative to getting into download mode. I didn't feel like dissecting a microusb cable, nor did I feel like soldering

This mod requires:
About a week wait time
A backup phone (if yours is already bricked so you have a phone to use)
A XDA and a Paypal account

First I found this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819551) and went over to (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=10031) to buy a micro usb breakboard. It cost me about 9 dollars shipped to my door. I ordered it on Tuesday, and it got here on Monday (Thursday was veterans day, too). Came in a nice box in which I now store my completed jig.

Edit: Well the person I got my resistor from isnt selling them anymore, so you'll need to find someone to get it from =/ sorry! this isnt as useful then D:

Then you just plug in the resistor in slots 4 and 5 like so...
20101117143032.jpg

20101117143046.jpg

And you have a working jig. Really easy, works perfectly, and no cutting into any microusb cable. And now you also have this nice little box from sparkfun to store your jig in too. Don't forget to not touch the resistor when you insert it in your phone. Just hold it by the edges of the breakboard. This cost about the same as OP but just requires a little more waiting time. But it's so much neater and less troublesome.

Good Luck!

Edit: Resized picture

Last edited:

buddy17

Aug 9, 2010
wow that sparkfun jig is REALLY cool!! I don't understand why everyone is so scared of soldering though, unless they simply just don't have a solder gun (you should have one anyway).

I think i will order that sparkfun breakout and solder a resistor in for a nice complete jig.

xredjokerx

Nov 25, 2009
wow that sparkfun jig is REALLY cool!! I don't understand why everyone is so scared of soldering though, unless they simply just don't have a solder gun (you should have one anyway).

I think i will order that sparkfun breakout and solder a resistor in for a nice complete jig.

the reason i didnt solder is because im away at college and all my tinkering equipment is at home (which is about an hour and a half away). i didnt want to buy new equipment just to fix my phone, nor did i want to wait til i went home again..

soldering is easy but it can be daunting if you've never done it before. i mean i've burned my self on my iron before and it was not a fun ordeal ahaha. otherwise from that, this worked quite nicely so i dont need to solder--saved me money and time :)

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
Since this thread was one of the ones that inspired me to make a Download mode jig, I thought I'd share what I put together today.

20101125153555.jpg

Made with a MicroUSB female plug, 300kohm resistor, & wire from a torn apart ethernet cable. I had originally planed for it to be half the size of what it is, and a lot cleaner (without a loop in it). But soldering to the damn usb plug was a pain, and the tins are fairly fragile.

It works like a charm though!

Xstop

Nov 8, 2010
Turn around...
Since this thread was one of the ones that inspired me to make a Download mode jig, I thought I'd share what I put together today.

Made with a MicroUSB female plug, 300kohm resistor, & wire from a torn apart ethernet cable. I had originally planed for it to be half the size of what it is, and a lot cleaner (without a loop in it). But soldering to the damn usb plug was a pain, and the tins are fairly fragile.

It works like a charm though!

Looks great and clean work! I ended up purchasing 2 of the micro-usb break-out board, yet I still use the one that is posted to get me into download mode.

I don't know if it has any affect or not, but when I flash to stock with Odin.
I normally won't do a "adb reboot download". But I will turn the phone completely off, pull battery for 5min, then use the jig to get it into download mode, then restore.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Layman's iGo Jig" (Solderless)

RadioShack

Subtract $.99, Bought the 1/2 watt resistor, which I did not need.

zero.jpg

But YOU will NEED these:

three.jpg

And

one.jpg

two.jpg

Those two items is all you need to make this work, no soldering iron.

Now the reason I purchased the iGo adapter is cause of this guy here: As you can see, there is 6 pins on this thing.
    Micro-USB has 5 pin connections. On a hunch, I was hoping all 5 pins were some how connected to the to the 6 pin adapter, so we didn't have to try and solder the resistor to pin 4, usually hidden in most setups.

IMG_0857.jpg

Now the most difficult part of this whole process, was trying to get the micro-usb apart, which wasn't that hard at all.
    Just take your time. I used a razor, scissors, and my teeth, lol. This is one part I didn't take pics, sorry. But try and "skin" (sort of like peeling) the black piece off.
    Once that is off, you'll see a white plastic piece also around it, "skin" that one off too.
    Once the white plastic piece is off.
    The micro-usb connector and the 6 pin board is held together with a silicone compound that is bonded to the wires.
    SLOWLY start picking the silicone compound away. It's really not that hard, just takes time.
    Once that is done you should have some thing like this:
    six.jpg

Now take your resistors and connect them in series: These are again, 100k resistor x 3. Should look like:
    four.jpg

Now let's take a close up of the micro-usb connector. I don't know exactly which is which but I do know that both are pin 4 and 5!
    IMG_0840-1.jpg

Look at how long they are...that's what makes them special. Pin 4 is not hidden!
    eight.jpg

seven.jpg

Since you got this far now just stick that bad boy in (please make sure the phone is turned off).
    I should of cleaned up the wires but I was sort of in a rush:
    VERY IMPORTANT: Don't let the other wires touch the connectors to the usb!
    ten.jpg

That image is with the screen facing me.

Now put in your battery, and take your resistors that you made and connect one end to pin 4 and the other to pin 5, not necessarily in that order.
    Make sure you hold the resistors to the pin for at least 3 sec.

Viola!!! DOWNLOAD MODE!!

This was a quick fix for a jig that I needed to get MY phone working without soldering iron, and it worked. The hardest thing so far that I read about making a jig is getting to pin 4 that is usually not being used and hidden. At least this way it's easier to access.
    I will end up buying another one and re-making my iGo jig to a more sturdier standard.

By all means, I am not a expertise in this field. I just been reading alot of threads and learn as I go.
    So I am sure anyone can make this jig to revive their bricked phone. Trust me, if I can make it, so can you. :D

IMG_0865.jpg

*edit: But if you have the chance, please pick up the 1k resistor also (not shown).
    100k x3 and 1k resistor, this is the exact recommended ohms to make this work. 301k > It's the right way.

*I do recommend for those that have successfully done this, to (learn) solder the end pieces together. Pin 4 and 5 are long enough so it shouldn't really be that hard.
    You won't have the tedious task of trying to manually connecting the two ends every time you want to go into download mode.
    Plus I believe basic soldering skill is a must if you like tweaking or a hobbyist of electronic components.*

All the images were take after I was able to get it in download mode. Was not really thinking about doing this write-up, until after the last picture.
    Hoping it may help the community one way or the other, and save some $$$
    Another "How To"

Alright guys, I bricked my phone last week (well, not bricked but disabled my 3 button combos and it was FCing on OS boot), and so I set out on the forums to find a clean-solderless alternative to getting into download mode. I didn't feel like dissecting a microusb cable, nor did I feel like soldering

This mod requires:
    About a week wait time
    A backup phone (if yours is already bricked so you have a phone to use)
    A XDA and a Paypal account

First I found this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819551) and went over to (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=10031) to buy a micro usb breakboard. It cost me about 9 dollars shipped to my door. I ordered it on Tuesday, and it got here on Monday (Thursday was veterans day, too). Came in a nice box in which I now store my completed jig.

Edit: Well the person I got my resistor from isnt selling them anymore, so you'll need to find someone to get it from =/ sorry! this isnt as useful then D:

Then you just plug in the resistor in slots 4 and 5 like so...
    20101117143032.jpg

20101117143046.jpg

And you have a working jig. Really easy, works perfectly, and no cutting into any microusb cable. And now you also have this nice little box from sparkfun to store your jig in too. Don't forget to not touch the resistor when you insert it in your phone. Just hold it by the edges of the breakboard. This cost about the same as OP but just requires a little more waiting time. But it's so much neater and less troublesome.

Good Luck!

Edit: Resized picture
    Great thread. Thanks for doing this kind of thing for the community. I already felt comfortable that Odin could save me a lot of trouble, but now I feel like I can go completely nuts and not half to worry.;)
    This just saved my butt after a bad flash somehow knocked out 3 button mode for me. I've flashed a dozen or more roms and download mode was always trivial to get back into, but this time I would just get the battery monitor when I tried the usual way that always worked. I found this thread after crapping my pants all morning and within a half hour my phone is back to stock again. $11 and now I'm invincible.

:D lol, have fun:D
    Does anyone know what 2 wires are used to connect the 300k ohm resistor inside the usb cabe? My plan is to make a jig using the female end of a usb extension cable so that you can just use a normal micro usb cable to plug into to force DL mode. The wires inside a usb cable are...
    u8gMs.png