Canadian ICS Rooting

Search This thread

11alliance11

Aug 12, 2012
There is a quicker method to removing the battery! When you first Root using Odin, AS SOON as PASS! appears in the blue box, press volume up and down at the same time without pressing power. You will go into CWM ! But you still need to do the rest of the steps. This just eliminates the step where you have to remove the battery and boot using power + volume up and down. Enjoy! + repp!

Reactions: ChEeCh187

sports77

Mar 27, 2011
There is a quicker method to removing the battery! When you first Root using Odin, AS SOON as PASS! appears in the blue box, press volume up and down at the same time without pressing power. You will go into CWM ! But you still need to do the rest of the steps. This just eliminates the step where you have to remove the battery and boot using power + volume up and down. Enjoy! + repp!

Thanks Great tip, I have Roger Note I717r work like a charm Thanks.....::D:confused:

ppwlee

Feb 4, 2008
Hi, I failed in step 10 to install superuser ZIP as I put the file in the wrong location. Now when I try to put the phone into downloading mode it won't go into CWM but stock recovery mode (3e). Is there any way for me to go back to step 9 and install superuser ZIP again?

Thanks for any help.

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
Hi, I failed in step 10 to install superuser ZIP as I put the file in the wrong location. Now when I try to put the phone into downloading mode it won't go into CWM but stock recovery mode (3e). Is there any way for me to go back to step 9 and install superuser ZIP again?

Thanks for any help.

You failed way before step 10. If you are getting stock recovery then you are failing in the steps before. Start over.

bigboy0723

Jul 13, 2012
This works. Excellent.

I followed the AT&T rooting procedure which always put in me into the Andrioid Recovery Mode, then I came across this post and followed the steps ans it works.

Just make sure when using the ES file exploerer to rename the script, make sure your go to setting first, then scroll down and check all the boxes in the root setting section, or else you don't have access to system files.

I also download he Root Checker and Rom Manager from Play store. Root Check can verify if you have root access and Rom Manger can hrlp you boot into CMW recoverary esaily.

Benlagraine

Oct 30, 2012
Best thread I've read all day!

Alleluia!!!! thank you thank you! The best news I've had all day after searching and searching.......

I have a galaxy note i717m from bell and this ICS business worked perfectly. Have to follow step by step, and alleluia!!! thank you again!

bigboy0723

Jul 13, 2012
I upgraded my i717r (Rogers version) to JB today. So, I lost my root as expected. I re-do this procedure again and everything went smoothly, no error. But when I verify it with Root Checker, it said I have no root access.

Anybody has this problem? Might be this procedure doesn't work anymore on JB. :confused:

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
Procedure is exactly the same as ICS. And since you updated via Odin or kies then there should be no script to stop the installation of the custom recovery. What method did you use? It is recommended to use the new version 3 Odin.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using xda premium

bigboy0723

Jul 13, 2012
I use the same procedure outlined in the first post. I will try to use the odin3 when I get back home tonight. Hope it will work.

Thanks for the hints. :)

bigboy0723

Jul 13, 2012
I tried it again with Odin3 v3.04. It has the same problem. Odin went thru successfully, Both CMW and superuser are installed but still no root access.

Strange...any other suggestion. By the way, I upgraded my note thru Kies yesterday,

bigboy0723

Jul 13, 2012
Anyone has the same problem as me. I tried both Odin 3 v1.85 and Odin 3 v.3.07 and they both don't work.

Any other suggestion? :confused:

bigboy0723

Jul 13, 2012
Read another post from another forum.....download and install the SuperSU from play store and it works. Now, rootchecker reports my i717r has the root access. Everything is working fine now. :D

Jul 29, 2013
Hello all,
I have a I747M running 4.1.1

I can't find this recovery file, but it still resets me after boot.

Cheers.

jonismo

Dec 12, 2012
Santo Domingo
Read another post from another forum.....download and install the SuperSU from play store and it works. Now, rootchecker reports my i717r has the root access. Everything is working fine now. :D

thanks for helping, i have a galaxy Note I717R running JB, i have flashed to CWM like 30 times, installing Superuser from CWM, now i tried your recommendation downloading SuperSU from market, but is not working yet, i dont have root access, root checker says me that... i cant use titanium backup root, i cant use any app that needs root access, i still have CWM, my device is not installing stock recovery mode, im fine in that way, but i dont have root access, this is driving me crazy!!

jonismo

Dec 12, 2012
Santo Domingo
no way dude, i installed superSU, all root configurations propertly checked, busyboz already installed, dont root access yet...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-03-16-49-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-03-16-49-24.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a few posts regarding rooting Canadian ICS Note. It seems there is a script in the OTA ICS upgrade that re-installs stock recovery (3e) after flashing CWM using ODIN.

Note: The offending script only exists in the OTA ICS upgrade, and not in update from Kies or samfirmware ROM.
    If you don't have the offending script, then after Step 7, just reboot into recovery, install superuser ZIP from CWM, reboot, and you're done.

I'm summarizing the steps needed to flash CWM and root Canadian ICS Note:

1) Download Odin, CWM tar, and superuser zip (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1763896 Post # 3)
    2) Install Odin
    3) Copy superuser zip file to Phone
    4) Start Odin and browse for the CWM tar file in the PDA section
    5) Put the phone into download mode (VOLUME DOWN + POWER, then VOLUME UP)
    6) Connect Phone to PC
    7) Flash CWM with Odin
    8) As the phone is rebooting, take out the battery. This is done to avoid the script install-recovery.sh from reinstalling stock recovery
    9) Put battery back and boot into recovery (VOLUME UP + VOLUME DOWN + POWER, Release POWER after first vibration)
    10) Install superuser ZIP from CWM, you are now rooted
    11) Reboot phone
    12) Install root explorer or ES File explorer and enable root operations and /system mount on them.
    13) Find /etc/install-recovery.sh and rename it to install-recovery.sh.bkp
    14) Repeat steps 4 to 7
    15) Reboot. You should now have CWM and Root.

Thanks to SKyRocKeting727 and aleks07.
    I've updated the first post to indicate that you only need to pull the battery out if you have updated to ICS through OTA. Thanks.
    With ES File Explorer, I get "Sorry, operation failed" attempting to rename install-recovery.sh. I installed Terminal Emulator, and tried a simple
    Code:
    su
    mv /etc/install-recovery.sh /etc/install-recovery.sh.bkp
    to which I get "Read only file system"

I checked back in SuperUser, and ES Explorer (and Terminal) have root allowed; es file explorer has Root Explorer enabled in settings.

Ideas?

Edit: I realise the OP lists "install_recovery.sh", but I have no such file, just "install-recovery.sh". The contents are exactly what you'd think, though, conditional test to restore the recovery image.

Second Edit: I am an idiot. I missed "Mount /, /system as writable". Carry on, nothing to see here :)
    Success won't come from luck but it will from reading every step twice at least before any clicks or taps.:confused: