Has anyone actually received kit kat update yet?

Search This thread

pgzerwer

Aug 20, 2011
Peoria
What's wrong with getting KitKat 4.4 by flashing the factory image without wiping data (remove '-w' from flash-all.bat file).

There's nothing "wrong" with sideloading or flashing per se, it's how I keep my non-Nexus devices relatively current, but I think more than a few people actually would like just one always up to date gadget that doesn't require fighting with windows drivers, obsessive backups, etc. I don't mind waiting if I know I am supposed to wait. Google just kinda goofed by making it sound like we would all see the latest and greatest over a week ago and then trickling it out instead. The longer it takes for widespread update distribution with little communication, the more people create rumors to fill in the information gaps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

By the way, I really like the N7 as is, so I am not angry, just confused.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
If you must have it just go get it, it is widely available for manual download.

Otherwise just wait until it comes naturally. The process is slow in the beginning by *design*. They get some initial feedback before turning on the spigots for everyone. This is designed to avoid sending out an update that creates unanticipated problems in the wild and also to ease the load on the servers.

Keep in mind they did a major change (IMO) of turning on enforcement of SELinux access control/policies in this release. This can cause potential compatibility issues that are hard to test for in the lab because it is hard to predict how many ways people have been accessing varios system files. Previously they just turned on logging for SELinux to gather initial data.

Last edited:

mgerbasio

Jun 8, 2004
I'm surprised none of the sites have picked up on this and asked Google for a comment. It's been a week, maybe longer since they announced we'd be seeing the update.

dolphin77

Oct 23, 2013
Odesa

I've seen somewhere that one USA network providers will only start registration of nexus 7 in their LTE network after KitKat update. I would suspect that it requires some kind of verification in US authorities. Probably that's the reason why we don't see any OTA for razorg yet.

Well, just my 2 cents. And also do not understand why they are not making any public statement about that.

Dime-Baggins

Mar 19, 2013
Grass Valley
Side-loading caution

From what my instinct tells me is that there is something wrong with the build that they thought they had ready and at the last minute found something grievous enough to halt the rollout of the OTA. I'd be surprised if, when it does rollout, that it is the same exact build that is posted for DL. Even though it sucks to wait, my gut tells me that might be the best thing to do and not side load and get a borked kit kat. This is just my opinion though so take it as you will. :eek:

HwaA18

Jul 21, 2012
Philadelphia
I've seen somewhere that one USA network providers will only start registration of nexus 7 in their LTE network after KitKat update. I would suspect that it requires some kind of verification in US authorities. Probably that's the reason why we don't see any OTA for razorg yet.

Well, just my 2 cents. And also do not understand why they are not making any public statement about that.
I emailed Google and got this
Thank you for contacting Google, I understand you have a question about not having received the new KitKat update over-the-air yet. Let me assure you that I would be happy to do my best to answer this question for you as promptly as possible.
Here is the most recent information available for this update. I'm sure you will be receiving it soon.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7, & Nexus 10

Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 will be receiving the Android 4.4 update. The latest version will be available in the coming weeks. Once the update is released, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. The update could take 20 minutes or longer to download depending on your Wi-Fi or mobile connection speed.

Hopefully I was able to get your question taken care of today. Should you have any further questions please feel free to respond to this email or contact support.google.com

Thanks,

The Google Support Team

Last edited:

xdhall

Dec 7, 2011
Even though it sucks to wait, my gut tells me that might be the best thing to do and not side load and get a borked kit kat. This is just my opinion though so take it as you will. :eek:
@Dime-Baggins
KitKat is running just fine on my and many other N7s around the globe. If, however, there is some elusive flaw they end up fixing with 4.4.1, I'll just update from 4.4 when it happens.

@Peoplewhoareventing
I can understand the frustration someone might have waiting for an update out there in the rest of the world. What I can't understand is how someone can come here, to XDA, see that several very nice people have gone to the trouble to solve the problem they're frustrated about, and still create post after post complaining. You're upset that the Verizon Moto X has KitKat and you don't? XDA feels your pain, and fixed it. How come you're still upset?

Two ways to fix your pain:

Update via the OTA (flo):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532206

OR

Flash the KitKat factory image (flo or deb):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2528341

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

jackthebomb

Nov 5, 2013
All I really want is the transparent nav bars using nova beta... What other features do we even get?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Dime-Baggins

Mar 19, 2013
Grass Valley
KitKat is running just fine on my and many other N7s around the globe. If, however, there is some elusive flaw they end up fixing with 4.4.1, I'll just update from 4.4 when it happens.

I can understand the frustration someone might have waiting for an update out there in the rest of the world. What I can't understand is how someone can come here, to XDA, see that several very nice people have gone to the trouble to solve the problem they're frustrated about, and still create post after post complaining. You're upset that the Verizon Moto X has KitKat and you don't? XDA feels your pain, and fixed it. How come you're still upset?

Not really sure if or why this was directed at me. I was just trying to help people.

cramamarshall

Jan 12, 2011
Tampa Bay
From what my instinct tells me is that there is something wrong with the build that they thought they had ready and at the last minute found something grievous enough to halt the rollout of the OTA. I'd be surprised if, when it does rollout, that it is the same exact build that is posted for DL. Even though it sucks to wait, my gut tells me that might be the best thing to do and not side load and get a borked kit kat. This is just my opinion though so take it as you will. :eek:

Actually mine is working great! I had no problems installing the update that I downloaded! The update actually installed very smoothy! ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

xdhall

Dec 7, 2011
Yea, that's the only one I found but I would have thought the delay would have got some attention especially with Motorola and Verizon getting the update out for the X so quickly.

I imagine the bigger android sites won't consider it a story before giving Google the two weeks they said it might take to distribute the OTA.

Last edited:

gchahinian

Dec 7, 2010
Sun Valley, CA
Still waiting for my OTA update...should i unroot and lock my bootloader back to get it? I'm away for work otherwise i'd sideload the new factory images from my computer, i just wanna get this update to my tab as soon as i can...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A quick review of this thread found only one confirmation of receiving the 4.4 OTA update, which comes from London, England.

Has anyone in the U.S. received the OTA update?

History has shown that I usually get Android OTA updates on my Nexus devices after 4 to 5 days after Google annouces that they started sending them out.

No joy yet in Massachusetts 6 days in.

Google, have some respect for your customers. If there is a problem with the OTA rollout let us know.

An informed customer is a more patient and loyal customer, a frustrated customer expecting Google to timely act on its pronouncements is not.
    Still nothing here in Seattle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sleepless in Seattle?

Couldn't resist... This thread is entertaining at best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    People, stop complaining. This is XDA. Either sideload it, or stop whining.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Poland still waiting.