Volume button

Search This thread

lmw85

Apr 3, 2014
they wanted me to at first, I asked someone else at o2 and they arranged a "door swap" with dpd. the driver handed me a new sealed box and took the other, o2 confirmed it was received 30 minutes later

Last edited:

Joseph4

Apr 10, 2009
Dublin
Just an update to my previous post:

I have now been through 8 M8's in 3 different stores in the past 24 hours. All have this issue, very wobbly/loose and are rattling.

Been onto HTC and they have escalated the issue to the HQ apparently as a potential batch issue.

Have given up for the moment, will try again in 6-8 weeks.

radlink14

May 1, 2010
Just an update to my previous post:

I have now been through 8 M8's in 3 different stores in the past 24 hours. All have this issue, very wobbly/loose and are rattling.

Been onto HTC and they have escalated the issue to the HQ apparently as a potential batch issue.

Have given up for the moment, will try again in 6-8 weeks.

That's ridiculous. I'm just gonna keep mine, good luck to you buddy. I won't be keeping this phone too long anyway.

lmw85

Apr 3, 2014
I've just talked to o2 online again, told them my replacement has the same issue and they're sending me a 3rd via DPD, door swapping it with the second one I received

she seemed to very quickly offer a replacement and said that I wouldn't have this issue with the new one, perhaps they are aware of the problem and now have a new batch

I expect it will arrive on Wednesday so we'll see if 3rd time lucky

I was just going to keep this one but took the case off and the button feels so bad, decided I shouldn't have to put up with it as it's obviously a fault

randombirt

Oct 22, 2011
I would say that the buttons are as intended, the holes are machined, the buttons machined, are we really suggesting that the tooling was changed for some of the units making the holes larger or the buttons smaller? Idk, it just don't make sense to me. I've not found an m8 with tight buttons yet so I'm guessing they are loose by design.
I don't see what the drama is and why "it's obviously a fault"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

lmw85

Apr 3, 2014
I would say that the buttons are as intended, the holes are machined, the buttons machined, are we really suggesting that the tooling was changed for some of the units making the holes larger or the buttons smaller? Idk, it just don't make sense to me. I've not found an m8 with tight buttons yet so I'm guessing they are loose by design.
I don't see what the drama is and why "it's obviously a fault"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
if you tilt the phone, the button half falls out..htc told me it shouldn't do it..it shouldn't rattle when you shake the phone..it's as if something is missing from inside which should hold the rocker in place

it's not that the hole is too big, it's that the rocker isn't staying in place

if you had the problem you would totally agree

Aukutsutsu

Apr 6, 2009
I've got the same problem with the loose volume and power button (when I shake it the power button rattles more than the volume).

I'm just going to keep it. Seems like a lot of work to reset everything up on a new one that may have the same problem. Also, I got my screen protector perfectly centered without any dust under it, which may be my biggest accomplishment so far this year. It would be a shame to mess that up.

danv28

Apr 22, 2013
Just want to contribute..

I had the same issue with my first M8 (Gunmetal) and exchanged it for the silver one.. issue is gone. Not sure if it's a manufacturing issue for the grey variant, but my silver's volume rocker is solid.

lmw85

Apr 3, 2014
replacement came today, hardly any difference and the screen wasn't flush at the bottom

sent it straight back and will just keep the one I had

I never take the case off anyway, have emailed htc again just to see what they have to say

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I have two devices.. Both AT&T branded. One has a firm volume rocker (this one was ordered on launch day) then I have one that came yesterday and it's volume rocker is more loose. It doesn't really bother me much as I will probably have cases on it.. It's not as bad as the one on my nexus 5..like others reported it would rattle if you touched the upper right side of the screen. I don't think it's a huge deal.. If it's not falling off or becoming detached it should be fine.. And if it does.. Then complain. People need to understand they are buttons and will have some play.. Some devices will have more play than others. Also the first one with the solid volume rockers serial number starts with FA where the newer one starts with the H.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

epicfailguy2

Jan 3, 2009
OCD troubleshooting :

- Is it loose ? Yes ==> Does it Rattle ? Yes ==> Exchange No ==> Keep it (not worth the risk of getting unflush screen or dead pixels if everything else is perfect)

Reactions: dannejanne

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
OCD troubleshooting :

- Is it loose ? Yes ==> Does it Rattle ? Yes ==> Exchange No ==> Keep it (not worth the risk of getting unflush screen or dead pixels if everything else is perfect)

Haha here was my thinking..
Is it loose? Yes.. Does it rattle when I touch the upper right side of the screen like my n5? No.. Is it worth exchanging and risk getting one that has more issues than just a little loose volume rocker? Hell no..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

abu_munzir

Feb 17, 2009
When I press VD it gets stuck. Makes it difficult to take screenshots, control the volume and enter recovery. Quite infuriating.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

marius613

Apr 25, 2014
explanation

i got my brand new m8 a week from today, everything perfect, checked the phone for any imperfections when i unboxed it and i seemed well.
the next day i went out, kept it in my pocket and took out the free silicon case that it came with and noticed this strange MYSTERIOUS loose volume rocker that everyone is dealing with.
googled the issue and found this thread, and after thinking this is not such a big deal i decided to ignored it.
yesterday i noticed it's not as loose as was before and i took a closer look at the thin frame around the volume button and i have to mention that mine was rock solid when i took the phone out of the box.
the thin frame around the volume button was just a little, barely noticeable, curved and this, suddenly explained everything.
the m8 is quite a big phone, very tall, almost hanging out of the pocket. I also ride a motorbike and when i have it in my pocket i feel it kinda squeezed. Some of you said this issue is a quality check fail of the manufacturer but this phone being made out of aluminium which is easily maleable, has it's flaws.
I just used a thin cleaning cloth to cover it and not scratch it and used a thin and hard object, such as a pen made of metal or something and while keeping it sideways to press down on the frame and straighten it up a bit and voila, ISSUE SOLVED.
hope this helped other guys like me before swapping them out for new ones which afterwards this would still come back.
sorry for my spelling, i'm not native english and maybe could've done better but i have to go to bed now. CHEERS :good:

tpal12

Jan 29, 2013
I have the same issue. Loose a bit but it's ok. Here in Greece is difficult to change this one with other so I have to live with this problem

D

Deleted member 2776902

Hate to dig up an old thread, but any recent M8 buyers experiencing this? I just got mine a few weeks ago and am within the return period from Amazon, and I'm thinking I'll get another. It's really starting to get to being annoying in every day use.

Just made a quick video of it here.

Wondering if I'm just unlucky or if maybe it's an earlier build? Or if they've been resolved or not. The demo unit at Best Buy was much more solid, and this was right out of the box.

Mars Warrior

Nov 27, 2014
Hate to dig up an old thread, but any recent M8 buyers experiencing this? I just got mine a few weeks ago and am within the return period from Amazon, and I'm thinking I'll get another. It's really starting to get to being annoying in every day use.

Wondering if I'm just unlucky or if maybe it's an earlier build? Or if they've been resolved or not. The demo unit at Best Buy was much more solid, and this was right out of the box.

I had a very loose power and volume button on my first one, which I got around September too. Got a unicorn beetle case and all was well, until I realised the reason my battery kept dying so quickly. The power button was so loose it kept turning the screen on in my pocket, and I keep my phone in my jacket pocket. So just got a replacement last week, and it seems to be ok for now. A little bit loose, but not rattling yet.

luckhermsen

Dec 3, 2014
Got mine a week ago. Having the same issue.
It's not VERY loose, but its still annoying.

Too bad HTC hasn't fixed the issue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OCD troubleshooting :