[Q] USB to Ethernet Adapter

Search This thread

HTCinToronto

Jul 28, 2009
Toronto
Has anyone tried to use one. Heard the Viewsonic G Tablet can do some. Needing a solution to cable it. Thanks.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

bithir

Apr 29, 2011
I guess in theory, one of the ones mentioned in this article might work.

In one of my rooms the wifi coverage is very low - so it is tempting to try to get one of them to test.

Bob Smith42

Jun 7, 2011
This thread looked interesting to me, thanks OP.

I have tested some of these before in another project. I found differences in even what was supposed to be the same models, weird stuff. I did find a few models that worked on LINUX, but I will have to dig around to find them.

A good test might be to find a model that quasi *auto detects* and operates on a specific version of LINUX, as a prerequisite, and then test on the dock.

The amount of OS/configuration modifications to *auto detect* should me minimal or none.

Tortel1210

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2010
Hmm, youll probably need to compile the drivers as modules and manually insert them before it might work. But its worth a shot to just try one first

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
It's working! I connected my n900 via usb and set it to network mode. :p
did netcfg usb1 dhcp and got the address from dhcp.
I wonder why they didn't include ifconfig in android :S

Also, I suspect you can use usb0 (client mode port) to connect to your pc.

Last edited:

bambooman

Mar 8, 2011
Confirm: Connect to LAN using USB to RJ45 on Asus Transformer?

Hi,

I just want to confirm with the previous post that you were able to connect to the internet via LAN using a USB to RJ-45 purchased from amazon. (Search for "USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter" on amazon.) Did you connect using the USB port on the dock or on the tablet itself? Thanks!

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
Hi,

I just want to confirm with the previous post that you were able to connect to the internet via LAN using a USB to RJ-45 purchased from amazon. (Search for "USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter" on amazon.) Did you connect using the USB port on the dock or on the tablet itself? Thanks!

Sorry second part of the first sentence confuses me a little. Are you referring to me? I connected to my phone that has usb network mode. And I attached it to a usb port on the dock.

HTCinToronto

Jul 28, 2009
Toronto
So I picked up the Apple USB-to-ethernet adapter (MC704ZM/A), plugged it in and no response from my Transformer. Did you guys do anything special to get yours working?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

mesquita1

Jul 29, 2011
I can confirm that I tried a USB to ethernet adapter (chip seems to be ASIX ax88x72A) and it did not work on my TF. The adapter came with a driver CD and it did include drivers for android. I'm attaching them here in the hope that someone who knows what to do with these files can help.

The driver files can also be found on Asix's website. Google "asix ax88x72A android". Sorry, this board doesn't allow new members to post external links.

I really hope Google or Asus can fix this missing rather fundamental functionality in a future SW update. I don't want to carry a router around and a lot of hotels only have wired internet!

capnoob

Nov 30, 2010
Found Android Drivers

I can confirm that I tried a USB to ethernet adapter (chip seems to be ASIX ax88x72A) and it did not work on my TF. The adapter came with a driver CD and it did include drivers for android. I'm attaching them here in the hope that someone who knows what to do with these files can help.

The driver files can also be found on Asix's website. Google "asix ax88x72A android". Sorry, this board doesn't allow new members to post external links.

I really hope Google or Asus can fix this missing rather fundamental functionality in a future SW update. I don't want to carry a router around and a lot of hotels only have wired internet!

Here are some additional drivers from the manufacturer. They clam it includes Android 4.x.x Good luck
http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88772C_772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_Driver_v4.6.0_Source.tar.bz2