Data-safe Disaster Recovery via NVFlash

Search This thread

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
OK so on Sunday whilst pissing about, I flashed a broken recovery to my phone. This resulted in a near brick, the phone wouldn't boot at all, and wouldn't even enter Smartflash. I didn't have a recent backup, so needless to say I was pissed.

However, this presented me with a challenge, could I recover my phone without losing anything? Turns out the answer was yes :D

I was able to NVFlash (battery out, hold both vol keys and plug in USB) over a good recovery, and the phone booted straight to it, from there I restored the old boot.img that I had, rebooted and held my breath.

Success! OK, so wifi didn't work due to the old kernel, but whatever, quick CM reflash fixed that (in hindsight, I could probably have just done that straight away anyway).

I created a little batch menu system to handle the command and let you pick from an internal or external recovery (depending on what you normally use) and a couple scripts for Linux users. Hopefully anyone that has bust their phone to the point of NVFlashing will be able to do this instead and keep all their stuff :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t0caspz03dk9out/o2x_nvflash_recovery_v5.rar

Last edited:

NickHu

Oct 13, 2010
Rugby
You can flash entire partitions with the nvflash download command.. There's even a guide to flash clockwork recovery using it on the G2x forums.. I assume you'd just change the 5 to a 7 to compensate for the different partition layouts but don't quote me on it.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using XDA Premium App

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Yeah you don't wanna be quoted on that, you change 5 to 14 ;)

It's the same thing, only it's never been mentioned for O2X before, clearly useful though.

erestor6

Mar 11, 2008
Seriously? It's a batch file? Double-click it and press 1,2 or X

battery out, hold both vol keys and plug in USB and start flash-recovery.bat but don't work.

I see this on cmd:

-------------------------------
Russ' NVFlash Recovery Flasher

1. CWM 4.0.1.5 Internal
2. CWM 4.0.1.5 External
X. Exit

Please pick a recovery, or exit [1,2,X]?2
Attempting to flash external recovery...
Nvflash started
USB device not found
Program will now exit

What I've to do?

erestor6

Mar 11, 2008
Did your PC pick up the device? APX drivers are included in the zip

If I go in "Device Management", under "Controller USB" I see "LGE Mobile Composite USB Device" correctly installed. I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it with your drivers but the installation fails.

How I can install your drivers?

Many thanks..

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Sounds like you're not in APX mode to me, there should be nothing showing on the phone when you plug it in, completely black screen?

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Smartflash will work, because you're on the Smartflash screen. You have to hold both vol- and vol+ while plugging in the cable.

arrediabo

Dec 30, 2010
Braga
No luck here. While upgrading via the LG updater, app crashed about 95% through the process. After that, nothing else appears besides the SW updating.

Now the LG updater does not work (says phone can't be upgraded) and smart flash will not start flashing.

was trying this as a last resort, but no luck either.

installed the driver provided in the zip. started the nvflash.bat, choosed 2, a few things appeared and went by until it says:
"cwm-int.img sent successfully

----------------------------------
Program will now exit
Prima qualquer tecla para continuar..."

But i can´t boot to recovery (vol- plus power on), the damned "SW updating" from smartflash appears again

Any advice?

Edit1:
In fact, the "S/W updating" appears almost as soon as i choose 2

Edit2:
Ok, after this, smartFlash worked again..

Last edited:

arrediabo

Dec 30, 2010
Braga
Yeah, but i never had the chance. Right after the first LG appeared, while still holding vol- and Power, the S/W updating appeared.

But managed to flash the original firmware via Smartflash, after i ran the batch file you provided.
Didn't quite understood what happened here

hellokittyr

Oct 9, 2005
Don't want this use this at all. (For obvious reason), still thank so much for making this.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK so on Sunday whilst pissing about, I flashed a broken recovery to my phone. This resulted in a near brick, the phone wouldn't boot at all, and wouldn't even enter Smartflash. I didn't have a recent backup, so needless to say I was pissed.

However, this presented me with a challenge, could I recover my phone without losing anything? Turns out the answer was yes :D

I was able to NVFlash (battery out, hold both vol keys and plug in USB) over a good recovery, and the phone booted straight to it, from there I restored the old boot.img that I had, rebooted and held my breath.

Success! OK, so wifi didn't work due to the old kernel, but whatever, quick CM reflash fixed that (in hindsight, I could probably have just done that straight away anyway).

I created a little batch menu system to handle the command and let you pick from an internal or external recovery (depending on what you normally use) and a couple scripts for Linux users. Hopefully anyone that has bust their phone to the point of NVFlashing will be able to do this instead and keep all their stuff :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t0caspz03dk9out/o2x_nvflash_recovery_v5.rar
    Why isnt this a sticky yet?
    Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA

dated such a long time back...people remember it only when the brick their devices....forget otherwise....:rolleyes:

but yes...should be sticky....guys lets join to support to get this thread as "STICKY"
    Updated version of CWM and included two batch files for use with Win XP (as it doesn't have the 'choice' command used by the main batch).
    Did your PC pick up the device? APX drivers are included in the zip
    ROM Manager is fine on the O2X, it's only the G2X it does the fake flash on.