[Q] Nexus 7 doused in KY jelly. Best way to clean it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

circiutcity

Sep 17, 2012
My Nexus 7 got doused by KY Jelly.
It was in a Yoomee Folio case and covered by a screen protector.

I wish I had taken a photo of what it looked like before wiping things off. Suffice it to say that the screen was completely beaded with the KY Jelly and the inside surface of the folio case was soaked. There was some seepage to the back cover of the tablet.

I was able to wipe off most the lubricant. The case itself is sticky and being porous, I think it will be a loss. The front is covered by a residual film of KY that I can't seem to wipe off. I'll probably just have to take off the screen protector and replace it, but considering it took 2 screen protectors to get a perfect application, I'd prefer not to do that. The back cover is still a tad slippery.

What's the best way to get KY Jelly off your Nexus 7?

Toaster Strudels

Nov 25, 2010
Boston

I wish I had taken a photo of what it looked like before wiping things off. Suffice it to say that the screen was completely beaded with the KY Jelly and the inside surface of the folio case was soaked. There was some seepage to the back cover of the tablet.

I was able to wipe off most the lubricant. The case itself is sticky and being porous, I think it will be a loss. The front is covered by a residual film of KY that I can't seem to wipe off. I'll probably just have to take off the screen protector and replace it, but considering it took 2 screen protectors to get a perfect application, I'd prefer not to do that. The back cover is still a tad slippery.

LOOOOOLLLLL

Sent from my Pebble Blue GS3 on Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kxhawkins

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
OMG if it were me to have done that.I would never ever post it on the forum.. Ok i have to ask why where you using your tablet and that stuff together at the same time. Or even have them at the same place..

with the fun over.. ON TOPIC

I WOULD USE A ALCOHOL BASE SPRAY CLEANER . The alcohol will remove the residue and evaporate without causing water damage. I have used alcohol to clean electronic boards from everything spilled on notebook/ so on.

Good Luck . you might just have the . I BROKE MY TABLET STORY OF THE DECADE

glowworm62

Oct 13, 2006
Melbourne

KY is a water based jelly so a damp cloth should be more then enough to remove every single trace from the flat surfaces. You will need to clean and wring your cloth multiple times to remove the buildup. Just be very careful to not make it too wet. It should be damp.

For the other places that it has snuck in, let the jelly dry then you should be able to rub it off.

For future play sessions you might prefer to obtain another device that is easier to use and thus less likely to be covered. I hear the iPhone can be quite popular and it has a vibration mode as a bonus.

I wish I had taken a photo of what it looked like before wiping things off.

Suffice to say that it's probably a good thing you didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanpc

suprakarma

Dec 5, 2010
Some electronic stores try bestbuy or radioshack ,have wipe towels with special solution dedicated for electronics, and if for the gaps where the jelly accessed try a guitar pick or something thinner wrapped on a towel with alcohol and q-tips for the porous surface

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

RockNrolling

Aug 6, 2012
Trolling? :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent White Tapatalk 2

I'm inclined to agree with you especially since it's this user's first post ever.
Regardless, this is still somewhat entertaining.

Since that particular lubricant is water-based, I would recommend letting your N7 sit for awhile. This should allow the water in the lube to evaporate. You can then wipe up the remaining residue. In the future, I'd recommend placing the N7 out of reach while applying lubricant. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7

RockNrolling

Aug 6, 2012
OMG if it were me to have done that.I would never ever post it on the forum.. Ok i have to ask why where you using your tablet and that stuff together at the same time. Or even have them at the same place..

I WOULD USE A ALCOHOL BASE SPRAY CLEANER . The alcohol will remove the residue and evaporate without causing water damage. I have used alcohol to clean electronic boards from everything spilled on notebook/ so on.

Is there any particular reason you capitalize entire words/sentences in your posts?
I'm not trying to be rude; I'm genuinely curious. :)

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
well, the seven doesn't have a vibrator, and is relatively wide, so I don't think I want to find out why it was covered in ky jelly. but water would be the best option to wash it off with. maybe a wipe down with alcohol too, in those hard to reach places.

morfic

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 3, 2008
San Antonio
www.derkernel.com

Good suggestion about the spray cleaner.

Also:

Your signature contains "DEVELOPER'S" (possessive) when you meant to use "DEVELOPERS" (plural).

:angel:

circiutcity

Sep 17, 2012
LOL at all the replies, and thanks to the suggestions on how to clean it.

It's a true story. My 4-year old borrowed it to play Agent Dash. My 1 1/2 year old somehow got a hold of the KY Jelly that was hidden in the nightstand and then proceeded to squeeze / pour it on the table and on themselves.

A bath quickly removed any traces of KY from the kids, but obviously I can't do the same for the Nexus.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

It's a true story. My 4-year old borrowed it to play Agent Dash. My 1 1/2 year old somehow got a hold of the KY Jelly that was hidden in the nightstand and then proceeded to squeeze / pour it on the table and on themselves.

A bath quickly removed any traces of KY from the kids, but obviously I can't do the same for the Nexus.

I feel for you.. poor lost ky jelly.

an alcohol wipe should take care of the n7. use a qtip with alcohol in the USB if any got in there.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9

Question answered, thread closed before this goes to far.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Question answered, thread closed before this goes to far.:eek:

My 1 1/2 year old somehow got a hold of the KY Jelly that was hidden in the nightstand and then proceeded to squeeze / pour it on the table and on themselves.

hehee. Way to ruin an epic thread!