[Q] Bricked GT-N 8000? "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue ..."

Search This thread
Mar 23, 2013
Munich, Germany
Hi,
I have a N8000 purchased in China, which I (as being German) successfully “upgraded” to the German release of the official 4.1.2 firmware from sammobile. I only was able to use PC odin to change the recovery on this device. Reflashing the system never waworked with PC Odin, I only could reflash the firmware using Mobile Odin (light). Now, as the 44.2 for German devices is available on sammobile, I wanted to flash this. But Mobile Odin failed on “modem.bin”.
Since now, the only message I see on the device is “Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies …”. The message is displayed in English and Chinese. I didn’t manage to activate the boot loader or the recovery system. Kies does not even recognize the device and Odin also does not connect.
I tried following the usual advices, as to reinstall USB drivers, using different USB ports and so on, but no success whatsoever.
Is there anything, I can do to restore the device, or do I now own a quite expensive piece of plastic?
Any hint is very well appreciated …

Regards
Stefan

sbdanish911

Oct 7, 2013
chakwal
Hi,
I have a N8000 purchased in China, which I (as being German) successfully “upgraded” to the German release of the official 4.1.2 firmware from sammobile. I only was able to use PC odin to change the recovery on this device. Reflashing the system never waworked with PC Odin, I only could reflash the firmware using Mobile Odin (light). Now, as the 44.2 for German devices is available on sammobile, I wanted to flash this. But Mobile Odin failed on “modem.bin”.
Since now, the only message I see on the device is “Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies …”. The message is displayed in English and Chinese. I didn’t manage to activate the boot loader or the recovery system. Kies does not even recognize the device and Odin also does not connect.
I tried following the usual advices, as to reinstall USB drivers, using different USB ports and so on, but no success whatsoever.
Is there anything, I can do to restore the device, or do I now own a quite expensive piece of plastic?
Any hint is very well appreciated …

Regards
Stefan

Can you get into download mode by pressing power and down button at the same time

msl

Sep 13, 2011
:victory: yes! Currently it seems, that I cannot longer flash stock firmware versions via MobileOdin. As long as the OmniROM is working, I can accept this.

Thanks for all the suport!

Hi
I have the same problem as you, trying to get KitKat on my Note 10.1 also bought in China.
I found that flashing the original factory ROM solved my brick problem, the Omni rom does not support Snote as far as I could see what I had it running, and it was one of my main reasons for buying the tablet.

Try and download ODIN 1.83, as the newer versions never worked for me. And then download and flash the
Android 4.0.4 - N8000DDALH1_N8000ODDALH2_INU rom wich I believe is the factory rom.

It will reset your tablet back to when it was first released, but will allow for software updates through the settings menu (also called OTA).
That will, at leat, get you back to 4.1.2 and you might be lucky that you can then get the 4.4.2 upgrade from there as well. Although the kitkat didnt work for me.