Galaxy S3 - Kitkat Discussion Thread

Search This thread

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
IME, neither store employees or tech support (or any other employee for that matter) have a clue about anything that isn't directly related to their job. (Reading from the screen, selling you a new device, etc). Not even the ones who help via the T-Mobile support forums ever get this info, and they seem to be the most knowledgeable of anyone in just about every area.
I will admit though, I have been wondering about it myself, but it still just doesn't make sense to not release it.

And as for the store employees, some said the same thing about 4.3, but as it turned out, they either just didn't know, or were lying in hopes of getting folks to buy new devices.
All I know for sure anymore though, is Samsung did fully develop and release a final RC 4.4.2 to T-Mobile. And with how aggressive they've been with their competition lately, it just doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't release it. (Especially when the T999L and T999N variants are still considered relatively new). I do honestly wonder if it just didn't get buried under some supervisors pile of paperwork or accidentally deleted or ignored an email.....who knows at this point.

In the end though, it still doesn't matter too much to me. Aside from not having WiFi calling, the Sprint port has still been one of the best roms I've run to date. And for those who are wanting something fresh and new, there will be some more roms ported over pretty soon. In particular, look out for TMS3KK, and quite possibly S3rx in the near future. (S3rx v4 is currently being worked on for AT&T and I'm sure will be ported for us shortly after its completed.)

There may not be much direct development on the T999 anymore, but its not quite dead yet!

When I purchased my S3 about 6 months or so ago, it looked like I knew more about the Device then they did.. I asked all kinds of normal every day questions, like if it supported NFC, or Wireless Charging.. just to see if the salesman knew his stuff.. and I couldn't get a straight answer from any of them.. As a hobby I like to keep up with all the latest stuff, and I'm sure more than half the people on this forum do the exact same thing and would make a better salesman than those guys at the local cell store.. Sometimes I wonder how they even got their jobs.. When I bought my S3 they said it did not support wireless charging, and I called *ull****... and came back when I got my adapter and showed them..

Edit: I have had my Asus Epad Transformer Tf101 for a couple of years, and with Developers like timduru that develop the KatKiss rom, which just makes my old TF101 feeling brandnew.. I have nothing but respect for those developers that keep old devices going with the latest stuff. I know it doesn't bring in the big bucks, but I have been dabbling with Android and what you guys do to compile the rom is nothing short of amazing..

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Yeah we don't have it either
Thanks. That makes it even more weirder. Those Devices should have got it.

A careful digging revealed that T-mo is the only one whose app "My Account" that clearly identified the CiQ and User information Gathering policies. So perhaps, samsung is required to unbundle CiQ for their sake and have that included in that app. Potentially that could be the reason. Perhaps WiFi Calling is having issues with 4.4.2 ?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Do I understand right that T999L and T999N haven't got the update either ?

Nope. Only the T999V and afaik every other Qualcomm based S3 has been updated. Only the T999, T999L and T999N have not.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Thanks. That makes it even more weirder. Those Devices should have got it.

A careful digging revealed that T-mo is the only one whose app "My Account" that clearly identified the CiQ and User information Gathering policies. So perhaps, samsung is required to unbundle CiQ for their sake and have that included in that app. Potentially that could be the reason. Perhaps WiFi Calling is having issues with 4.4.2 ?

For CiQ, ours is the only one that's kept it included for some time now, afaik anyway. And I don't think wifi calling is the issue. If T-Mobile had actually tested the RC and found it didn't work right, it would've been sent back to Samsung for further debugging. To my knowledge, T-Mobile hasn't even tested it yet. Apparently they got the RC and have just done nothing.
The past few releases, I've gotten wind of testing going on prior to release, even managed to get a leaked build out first. But not this time. Its like they got the memo, but never read it!

Reactions: ckisgen and Perseus

revwillie

Apr 5, 2009
I'm in no particular rush to get 4.4.2 since I'm using Carbon with is a 4.4.4 rom, and is stable. What I miss is the Wifi Calling which on my next trip I'm going to revert back to S3Rx 3.0 just incase I get a bad signal out in that area.. S3Rx is a Great 4.3 rom, I just find that Carbon, and PACROM give me better battery life..

I'm in Italy right now and running S3Rx 3.0. Talked to my dad last night on WiFi calling. Tmo simple choice gets me 3G data in big cities or along major roads. Carriers have been I WIND, TIM, and once on vodaphone towers. Sometimes I have to go airplane mode for a sec or two to goose the data connection. Been texting with my wife on the same plan and father-in-law roaming on at&t.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
Nope. Only the T999V and afaik every other Qualcomm based S3 has been updated. Only the T999, T999L and T999N have not.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

For CiQ, ours is the only one that's kept it included for some time now, afaik anyway. And I don't think wifi calling is the issue. If T-Mobile had actually tested the RC and found it didn't work right, it would've been sent back to Samsung for further debugging. To my knowledge, T-Mobile hasn't even tested it yet. Apparently they got the RC and have just done nothing.
The past few releases, I've gotten wind of testing going on prior to release, even managed to get a leaked build out first. But not this time. Its like they got the memo, but never read it!

What I don't understand is why its taken so long, although I'm happy where I'm at.. I do miss the Wifi Calling feature, and when I travel I revert to S3Rx so thats always available.. My issue is there are kids compiling ROMs in their mothers basement faster than the OEMs can pump out updates....They have 10x or more resources out than the average scripter...I know they have other things and other upgrades, and ROMs to pump out, but I've seen KANGs come out with updates, Complete AOSP rebuilds or even Scratch builds come up faster and more stable than the ROM the OEM, such as Samsung and or any other OEM..

allendj81

Sep 26, 2010
LBC, CA
After such a long time, I actually just lost hope to get the update!

On the other hand is good to know that S3 ATT ports will work well for us, and that some of our favorite roms will be updated, too bad we wont get wifi calling.

I guess we are the only ones waiting for the 4.4 update (I say "we" root users and tech savvy people) I honestly don't see a normal user caring about the update anyway. Its just messed up that tmobile is the only US carrier that apparently decided not to push the update ( did verizon pushed theirs?).

Jay Rock

Sep 27, 2011
San Diego
After such a long time, I actually just lost hope to get the update!

On the other hand is good to know that S3 ATT ports will work well for us, and that some of our favorite roms will be updated, too bad we wont get wifi calling.

I guess we are the only ones waiting for the 4.4 update (I say "we" root users and tech savvy people) I honestly don't see a normal user caring about the update anyway. Its just messed up that tmobile is the only US carrier that apparently decided not to push the update ( did verizon pushed theirs?).
Every carrier except T-Mobile has done it, to my knowledge.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Yup, Verizon had theirs released a few weeks ago. And afaik, its T-Mobile and MetroPCS (T999N) that are the only ones not updated. I guess technically that's just all T-Mobile though.

Maybe if we all flooded the T-Mobile support forums with questions/complaints......

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
I bought my S3 knowing that even though by the time I got it, the S6 or S7 would be on the horizon... I really love my S3, and I don't plan on upgrading until the developers give up.. I paid off my loan from my LG L9 super early so I could buy this phone, and I'll have the loan paid off this phone with in 6 months.. A whole year early.. So ill consider getting an S4 verses the S5 or S6.. This phone is extremely versatile, and the screen size is perfect for me.. My L9 had a locked bootloader so it was a pain to get another rom on it... The S3 pairs perfectly with my Nexus 7 2013, and I have a Asus TF101 and there are still people pulling out ROMs for it.. and it runs like a dream.. This is why I love Android devices so much.. Although I'm not a fan of TW, but the S3Rx rom is amazing.. I look forward to seeing the S3Rx 4.0 when its released.. That will be my main rom when its released.. I've tested Android L on my Nexus 7, and I honestly didn't like it.. I hope they make changes and then port it over to the S3..

I won't be getting rid of this phone for a LONG time.. Its my all time favorite device

kimbo1986

Oct 16, 2010
Ive tried the latest CM but for some reason twitch lags after a few minutes while streaming, to the point where its un watchable. Everything else was buttery smooth. I wish twitch worked, i would have stayed on it. I have to say though, TW has came a long way, and with KK it just operates and flows so well for me, and the best part is, no bugs, everything works the way it should!

Im back to Likewise (latest KK TW mod we have in tmobile thread)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

allendj81

Sep 26, 2010
LBC, CA
In it for backup. I don't think the thread will do much good. The tmobile history of the original galaxy updates was much worse.

Samsung should stop being a little ***** and negotiate to push their own updates like apple.

Thanks for chiming in dude. It doesn't matter if a tmo rep replies, I just they are reading what people are saying and that there are people like us waiting for the update. It takes some stirring here and there to get some results

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And im sorry, but the "fact" is that you have provided no evidence, no source, not anything to back up your statement. You can say were not getting updated over and over all you want, but just like everything else around here, unless you can furnish something to back it up, it will be seen as mere gossip and people will just see you as someone who enjoys pissing people off.
    Now, if you can back it up, im all for seeing what you have to do so, but otherwise just let it be please.
    WooHoo!!!
    Great news guys! Looks like I've got a nearly fully working port to share! Gotta get it uploaded and an OP typed up, but I think its as ready as I can possibly make it. Had major issues with mobile data cutting in and out constantly, but it appears I finally got that working. (Ill be posting in the Development section now that it is.) Wifi, unfortunately is another matter, and as expected, I cannot get it to work without the full kk firmware.
    Aside from wifi, though, I think it could be used as a DD. Will need to hear from others to be sure about that though.

Anyway, huge thanks to @CNexus and everyone in the Sprint forums for all of their hard work and help! Ill do my best to credit them properly in the rom thread to come.

Stand By!

:cowboy:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Update: The Sprint guys finally got their rom working today! Props to all those who put in so much time and effort to get it sorted out over there!

I will take another stab at porting it over now that they have it working over there! Dont get your hopes up too much yet, but im not giving up so wish me luck!

Well, I have not had much luck with that Sprint KitKat port. I have been keeping up with their threads for reports on it though and have some stuff to update you guys on. I have no idea why, but as of right now the consensus is that to run a 4.4.2 TW rom, you MUST first update to the 4.4.2 full firmware. People are reporting bricks by doing otherwise, however, I have flashed the sprint rom to my device, and while it will not boot into the Android OS, it has been far from a brick and is a simple flash of another rom to get back up and running. I have also noted that other devices such as the Note 3 are able to run KK on 4.3 firmware. What does this all mean for us? I am not sure yet. Too much conflicting info tbh. Either way though, I have not been able to get my attempt at porting it to boot.....
    Another issue they are having in the Sprint forums are that if they flash the stock firmware via odin, everything works fine, but as soon as they flash a deodexed or odexed, stock, unmodified rom, many are losing data and wifi capability. Some report it works fine for them, so I suspect it may have something to do with how the firmware was dumped, or something else pretty simple that is getting by everyone.

It may be that we run into similar issues here when ours is released, but I am remaining optimistic that it wont be the case. Pure speculation though....

IMPORTANT!!!!!! READ THIS ARTICLE BEFORE ACCEPTING THE 4.4.2 KITKAT UPDATE WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE!!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Many of you may already know about this, but for those who do not, please take the time to read the linked article!

As for getting Sprints KK ported over, I am about to have to put it down for a while. I suspect either the kernel, or it may be due to simialr issues the Sprint guys are having. Ill try again, but Im about wiped out on it for now! Ill be watching for the official firmware release at SamMobile, and once available, I will try again.

Now, a little news on KK for us. I have been told from what I believe to be a reliable source that the T999 and T999L are scheduled to get the update between approx May 28 - June 5. If testing goes really well it could be sooner though, but it looks like we are still at least a couple weeks away for now. Also, this will most likely be EOL as far as official updates go. Meaning this will be the last S3 official update.

An interesting thing I have read is that Samsung has no plans to update the I9300. It is suspected that this is because it only has 1GB of RAM and simply put, just doesn't have the hardware to run it. The I9305 (LTE) will get the update, but it has 2GB of RAM like we do.

If I find or hear any other information I will definitely share it with everyone!
    Ive got a blacklisted T999, but the screen is broken, so if I have the time when 4.4.2 is released I will swap the motherboard and do as much testing as I can to see how things act for us. Im sure if you want to take the ota or flash the firmware you will be just fine, but if you want to root and flash other roms beyond that you might want to wait for a report from me or the others that im sure will jump in head first!
    For those who plan to wait, Ill do my best to get info out quickly, but ill have to let you guys know when the time comes if ive got the time to do all this right away.