[XDATV] - PODCAST Thread (+MP3 Audio Podcast!)

Would you like XdaTv to be available as a podcast?

• Yes, I'd be more likely to watch it

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • Yes, YouTube is fine but podcast option would also be good

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • No, YouTube is fine we don't need a podcast too

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don't know what a podcast is.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • No, I don't like XdaTv so a podcast won't make any difference

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
XdaTV Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTv
XdaTV Audio Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTvAudio

Please post any issues you have with the XdaPodcast here and we shall attempt to fix it as soon as we can!

Jump to the posts which are related to the Now Official XdaTv Podcast here.

The XdaTv Podcast is brought to you by meltwater's podcaster app (should work on both WM and windows)!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Old outdated info - but explains the next 4 pages of posts...!
Code:
Currently there is no official thread for XDATV feedback, so thought I would start one (not too worried if this gets used or if another one is started by the XDATV guys).

First off, I love the concept of XdaTv and I was looking forward to watching the videos as and when they are posted.  However, the main issue I have is I am unable to view them on my phone (particularly while offline), this is the main opportunity I would have to watch them.

I would like to have a proper podcast style RSS Feed available, i.e. containing links to downloadable video files (mp4 or similar) which I can then play via the RSSTab as and when I have the time.

If people are interested, I am able to create a RSS Feed myself and host the files from something like Dropbox (Assuming Xda agree), obviously it'll be better if Xda are able to offer this directly.

Add your thoughts to this thread, or comments about XdaTv in general and vote in the poll.

[B][SIZE="4"]
I've been experimenting with publishing RSS Feeds, so I've created an experimental Podcast for XdaTv

Of course, if there is an issue with posting the podcast then I shall remove it immediately, just let me know.[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="4"][URL="http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTvMeltwater"]XdaTV Meltwater Podcast (Unofficial)[IMG]http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/themes/XDA/images/rssBox.png[/IMG][/URL][/SIZE] --Proper podcast

Currently available as MP4 formats.

[SIZE="4"]
ALL ARE POSTED - MOST RECENTLY
Sam’s XDA Daily Round Up – 12 April – XDA TV
[/SIZE]

I use the following RSS feed to track when they are released,
[SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/rss/user/xdadevelopers/videos.rss&format=17"]Xda Developers YouTube Channel[IMG]http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/themes/XDA/images/rssBox.png[/IMG][/URL][/SIZE]  --Feed of Links to YouTube (not a podcast)

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Good idea, guys. We're going to look into having a video podcast feed. We could probably get it on iTunes and Zune, too.

Well I've been experimenting with publishing RSSFeeds, so I've created an experimental one.

At the moment I've just got the 1st video up (in flv and mp4 format), I can test to see if this works on my device and perhaps provide some more until an Official Podcast is created. Will work out which format works best on my device and use that for the rest.

Of course, if there is an issue with posting the podcast then I shall remove it immediately, just let me know.

Feed REMOVED - USE THE OFFICIAL ONE

Last edited:

Kastromedia

Mar 6, 2010
IMO having both youtube/podcast would yield a better return for more potential members vs just the podcast. Youtube is just a mishmash of crap, but its also where "everyone" goes to view videos. Therefore you'd get some stragglers as well as allowing others to embed on other sites to draw some attraction to XDA.

This is just one mans' opinion. :)

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Random observation/idea...

http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/xdatv/ lists the tag page for xdatv...

I am pretty sure there is a backend RSS feed accessible via some hidden URL... If I can figure it out, there would be an RSS link to subscribe your reader to :)

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Random observation/idea...

http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/xdatv/ lists the tag page for xdatv...

I am pretty sure there is a backend RSS feed accessible via some hidden URL... If I can figure it out, there would be an RSS link to subscribe your reader to :)

The RSS link above to the YouTube channel does this, but for proper podcast style feed (i.e. one which supports downloading of videos to the device for off-line viewing) you need links to the video files rather than the YouTube stream.
[It would be really handy if those links were available HINT HINT]

However, I do use the tags to find the XdaTv posts so I can insert a suitable description etc.

I think YouTube supported it or intended to (hence the "&format=17" which is supposed to related to mp4 format), but it does not work. There is even a site which formats the links to do this, but for whatever reason it doesn't work here.

For now I'll host the podcast feed, since it is the easiest way for me to view it while experimenting anyway. The issue I may have is if I over-run my bandwidth hosting the videos, but will deal with that if I need to.

Anyway, the unofficial podcast is up and running and I've already used it to view the two videos I've put on there (so I'll be adding some more tonight). I'll try to ensure the latest one is on there and slowly build up the list of the older ones.

UPDATE
I might have found a way around the hosting problem as I may have found a way to directly access the videos.

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Was just about to suggest that you should be able to "obtain" a link from YouTube ;)

Its not easy for me to test (don't have YouTube access during the day) but I've set up a feed with some test links in so I should be able to check to see if it works tonight.

Not sure if my method is suitable (using KeepVid to get the links), you get the following kind-of links:

Code:
http://v11.lscache5.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?sparams=id,expire,ip,ipbits,itag,algorithm,burst,factor,oc:U0dYTlZUTl9FSkNNOF9OTlJB&fexp=906339&algorithm=throttle-factor&itag=5&ipbits=0&burst=40&sver=3&signature=0ADF1F4DADBA0E68A2CBA21D56BBB5E009468905.D329E84182EFBC9E03C18AE75F25B4FECD0CA571&expire=1299690000&key=yt1&ip=0.0.0.0&factor=1.25&id=652e189f57cfefec&title=azrienoch%20Weekly%20Recap%20-%204%20March%20-%20XDA%20TV%20[www.keepvid.com]
I don't know if the link has limits or will expire too quickly etc. but that's what I shall test. Don't really know anything about the formatting of the link, would be interesting to know though.

Not sure if there is a better way to do it, but clearly if I don't need to host the videos then it is a lot simpler.
(In fact, once I've tested it, I will post all the videos to date in one go!).

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Any preference on mp4 or flv files???

The current podcast has an example of both - so please try and see which plays and looks best on your device.

The flv files are smaller, but mp4 is better quality (Note - I will be using the smallest option of both as this is for mobile devices).
i.e.
FLV 400x226
MP4 640x360

Date FLV MP4
4Mar 12Mb 25Mb
8Mar 23Mb 43Mb
1Mar 49Mb 30Mb (12min55sec)
4Feb 11Mb 20Mb (4min42sec)

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
The direct links do not work unfortunately. I guess it needs an open youtube session or something to work...

Any suggestions are welcome for linking/hosting these files...

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Feed REMOVED - USE THE OFFICIAL ONE

OK, the podcast is live, running and working nicely.

Just watched two more and I am definitely a fan!
Excellent work guys, totally worth the effort to make a podcast for, I hope it helps spread the XdaTv goodness.

XDA Insider - Good start to the series, really great to see some of the faces behind the posts. I look forward to seeing more!

Android ROM Rundown - I don't have a proper android device but it is interesting to see what is being done to the roms which are out there and the features that are available and being developed.

azrienoch Weekly Recap - There is nothing I can say which can describe this one, it's just something you have to watch and then you are hooked. Love it!

Quality work here guys, keep it up!

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Updated the podcast to include the latest videos.

Most recent:
azrienoch Weekly Recap – 18 March – XDA TV

I've dropped the flv files, since the mp4 files are working fine on my device (and no one has given an opinion, so I'll not upload new flv files).

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Podcast is updated to "azrienoch Weekly Recap 8 April XDA TV".

Enjoy!

azrienoch

Just found this, thanks for working on it! I'm just wondering where exactly you're at or how you maintain it, because I'm hearing that you convert and download them, then add them to the feed, am I correct? Even if there's not a way to download directly, there's got to be a way to automate the process. Let me know, I'm willing to help brainstorm ideas.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Just found this, thanks for working on it! I'm just wondering where exactly you're at or how you maintain it, because I'm hearing that you convert and download them, then add them to the feed, am I correct? Even if there's not a way to download directly, there's got to be a way to automate the process. Let me know, I'm willing to help brainstorm ideas.

Yes, unfortunately I do it manually, hence the lag in posting them.

The main problem is the video files and I don't have direct you-tube access during the day (which is why podcasting them is my best option). It started as an experiment to play around with how Podcasts are generated, but I found it is the easiest way to keep up with XdaTV for me.

I use KeepVid.com to get the files, which generates a download url for me (but I think it generates a session id in order to download the files so I can't link directly unfortunately).

The extra problem is after I get the videos I have to upload them to a file share site which supports direct linking (no captchas) - currently using FileDen, which is ok at the moment, but it does have bandwidth limits.

Then I can add the info into the rss file,
Code:
<title>
<description>
<link> - Use the link to xda portal post
<enclosure url>
<pubDate>

I then push it through Google Feedburner, which adds a layer so you can keep a static address for the feed (and it also provides stats and re-links the videos).

Unfortunately, I think YouTube did have the ability to provide podcast feeds automatically at one point (it's documented in the feed api somewhere) but I think it's been removed for a while now (I expect since it by-passes the advert system it was not much use).

Now to automate this...
Considering the youtube feed has all the required info in (except the video!):
http://www.youtube.com/rss/user/xdadevelopers/videos.rss

It wouldn't take too much to adjust that feed to create a new podcast feed if the video links were available and in a consistent format from somewhere (either date or the youtube id perhaps "PvXb7B1ihQg.mp4"). That is something I can probably code up without too much trouble (the code I use for the RSSTab is doing similar things).

SO if the videos can be hosted somewhere, I can make a program to generate the rest of the podcast automatically, and perhaps upload it too. Otherwise, I'm going to find it difficult to keep up!

Anyway, XdaTV is so good, I am more than happy to spend the time and effort to get it podcasting and help spread the quality entertainment. No reason at all why the podcast couldn't be added to iTunes etc once it is up and running correctly (will have to find out what is required to do that though).

Last edited:

azrienoch

If we were to render in a small format as well as in a large one for YouTube and then send the small one to you when we upload the other, that'd help. Not sure what the space limitations are for the host you're using, but we might be able to convince the admins to host on xda and that'd solve that problem.

What resolution and size are the videos youre hosting now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FTP

I'd happily upload to my FTP, or any, for you in a set size and format, to save you the time. Would that be easier for you?
    My contributions are as follows, and subject to change:

I will be providing dropbox links for any videos I do. Although as of late I have been short on content (ROM rundowns got tired after a little while) I have a few videos recorded.
    Back from holiday and I've updated the podcast with all the recent videos, enjoy and thanks for supporting the podcast.
    Awesome, I love it when things work out by themselves.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App