Your next tablet.???

Search This thread

devilstomper88

Mar 28, 2012
which tablet i would get

Hi guys i am new here ;)

i really got my eyes on the acer a510. my heart was throbbing for the asus transformer prime but i heard they had wifi and gps issues. a real nightmare actually! i am not confident that this issue is resolved. who wants a tablet with a weakened wifi. Gps i don't care too much about but a tablet without wifi or weak wifi sucks!!
The acer a510 has good enough specs for me. especially the t3!! 1280x800 is good enough for me also. would there really be that much of a difference in 1080?? i would wait for the a700 but that's too expensive. 450.00 for a tablet is about my limit.

What do guys think??

Last edited:

Kruzzz

Jan 24, 2012
Hi guys i am new here ;)

i really got my eyes on the acer a510. my heart was throbbing for the asus transformer prime but i heard they had wifi and gps issues. a real nightmare actually! i am not confident that this issue is resolved. who wants a tablet with a weakened wifi. Gps i don't care too much about but a tablet without wifi or weak wifi sucks!!
The acer a510 has good enough specs for me. especially the t3!! 1280x800 is good enough for me also. would there really be that much of a difference in 1080?? i would wait for the a700 but that's too expensive. 450.00 for a tablet is about my limit.

What do guys think??

Go to store when tablet is out and try it see how it feels in your hands
if you like it they all do the same stuff Internet,games,music
its not much difference with prime hardware wise so
go and try it

JobEwanKenobi

Aug 3, 2010
I am not sure I am looking at any other tablets right now.. I love My a500 and whatever I dont do on it.. I do on my ipad 2

Svendrae

May 19, 2010
Since yesterday I have my new ipad and I am happy with it, itunes is really crappy but the display and the performence + battery is amazing.

markgamber

Apr 1, 2005
Got an iPad a couple days ago. Being a developer I still have the A500 and several other tablets and a gaggle of phones and music devices, also. But the iPad was my next tablet, so there you have it. Each has it's pros and cons and I also think the Asus Transformer is sweet, especially when coupled with the dock. I didn't notice any problems at all with any part of it.

Oh yeah...the iPad definitely wins, no argument, when it comes to battery life. By the end of a busy day when I'm testing on a number of devices, the android tablets are running low....10-20-30%. The iPad is still at like 60%, at least. And it has a 3G radio. Only one of the android tablets has a 3G radio and it shows in battery life. Not that the average user really has to care, they all have excellent battery life relative to most phones.

Last edited:

jblah

Jul 9, 2011
Washington DC
What about acer in general? are they providing you all with good dev support and decently fast updates. like when ICS came out?

mearoth

Apr 28, 2011
I think dev support could be much worse (e.g. motorola) and acer has also already released the kernel source for the a510 (4.0.3) on the us site. I think I will get me one to play around a bit and see what the T3 is about to accomplish.

danc135

Feb 16, 2012
Vitoria
Hi guys i am new here ;)

What do guys think??

My brother has a Transformer Prime, and the wifi is worse than the A500's (my tab). Not by far, but it's a little worse. I expected it would be better, since it's a new model, but it is not.
Everything else about it is better though haha. I guess the a510 should combine the best of both worlds, except the full size USB (wtf, acer!).

daswahnsinn

May 24, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad 1838-25U with an active digitzer. It has similar specs and most dual-core tablets but for some reason it's faster less laggy than the A500. I like being and to write down something while using my tablet something I could not do with the A500 or any other Android device I own.

gerke

Jun 1, 2006
My wife is using de A500 now.
I have the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0 now, superior screen and much faster with Android 2.3.6

The size is no problem, I'm using it during my travel to and from work with the train. No extra bags needed, it fits in my pocket :D

panda.bear

Dec 11, 2009
The Transformer Prime is really attractive to me right now but at $600+ with the keyboard dock its just too expensive for a marginal improvement over my A500.

I will continue to look towards Asus when I consider my next tablet - probably around x-mas 2012 or spring 2013 - they certainly seem to be the leader in the Android Tab segment.

With the upcoming Google Tablet, the recent release of iPad3, and the upcoming release of ARM based Windoze 8 tablets I expect all Android tabs to come down in price by ~100 for Xmas this year. If I could purchase the low end Transformer prime with the keyboard dock for around 400 that might persuade me.

Perhaps I would wait as long as summer 2013 for a much improved Transformer Prime shipping with Jellybean, a higher resolution screen and faster hardware.

ummduh

Jan 23, 2011
Washington Co, WI
OnePlus 11
None. Until something changes to make these things WAY more useable. It just isnt great at anything I do. For $500 bucks ill just keep buying laptops every couple of years.

We boughtthis one as my wife was hoping to be able to do her homework on it while at things with the kids and whatnot but it didn't pan out and it just doesn't work. So we ended up buying a laptop also. I took over this thing just as a toy and surfing on the couch but Id rather be using the laptop on the couch or just sitting in front of the actual computer.

pacificwing

Jul 8, 2011
Vancouver
I see a lot of people posting about how there is nothing the A500 can't do. This may be true for most people, but I'd like to chime in as someone who uses thier tablet every single day for multiple things. While the tablet is a great technology, there is still room for improvement:

I use my tablet for:

• Watching videos/movies/tv - Very Good
  • Writing emails - Good; better with ICS (spellcheck)
  • Browsing the web - Good; Better with ICS (less latency). Would be great with a stronger WiFi radio.
  • Video Chat - Poor; Could be better with a better mic or with bluetooth HSP support.
  • PDF technical drawings and blueprints. - Poor. This is actually what I got the tablet for, originally. Large documents is where the lack of processing power shows. Even with the fastest PDF software (Repligo), it's still sluggish with larger PDFs.
  • Note taking - Good if you have a keyboard handy, but hand notes are out of the question. The built in keyboard is too impractical. Would be much better if the technology could support a fine point stylus, but capacitive screens are only just starting to support them (see Galaxy Note). Large stylus' suck. If I want something with a tip 1/4 inch in diameter, I have ten of them attached to my hands.
  • Navigation - Mediocre. With a barely functioning GPS (on stock ROM) and no real practical dashboard holder accessory option (suction cup indeed!), you pretty much have to be a tinkerer for this to be an option. Root access and a proficiency with tools is pretty much required.
  • Tethering - Ad-Hoc WiFi hot-spotting is still the only real option, and only available if you root. Bluetooth can be made to work, but it's unstable, and USB tethering is still not officially supported.
  • Photo editing - Mediocre; mostly due to the lack of good apps.
  • Document editing - Mediocre to decent, depending on if you have a keyboard and mouse handy.

Don't get me wrong, the first generation HC's have some very good offerings, but there is major room for improvement. I might be skipping a generation, but I will be looking at a new tablet in the future.

nasimdejai

Aug 2, 2010
If I'm ever going to buy a new tablet it would be a Google Nexus tablet just because updates are guaranteed and wouldn't have wait for OEMs to send them out. The OTAs would come from Google directly. Any Android device I buy would be a Legacy device. Done with non stock devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Last edited:

jblah

Jul 9, 2011
Washington DC
If I'm ever going to buy a new tablet it would be a galaxy Nexus tablet just because updates are guaranteed and wouldn't have wait for OEMs to send them out. The OTAs would come from Google directly. Any Android device I buy would be a Legacy device. Done with non stock devices

don't you mean google nexus tablet? i think i'm torn between the tf300t and the acer iconia a510 as my first tablet. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. its hard to know which one to go for. i guess i will have to go mess with them both at best buy to see which one i like. asus does an excellent job with updates so thats a good sign.

nasimdejai

Aug 2, 2010
don't you mean google nexus tablet? i think i'm torn between the tf300t and the acer iconia a510 as my first tablet. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. its hard to know which one to go for. i guess i will have to go mess with them both at best buy to see which one i like. asus does an excellent job with updates so thats a good sign.
Sorry, I meant "Google Nexus Tablet" not "Galaxy Nexus Tablet". Thanks for the correction

pacificwing

Jul 8, 2011
Vancouver
I will be looking closely at the ibm/lenevo tablets. The thinkpad tablet is, imo, the best current gen tablet out there at the moment.

I think the next major step will be the incorporation of a fine point stylus. The current stylus's are as thick as a finger and don't offer much advantage. But the galaxy note and the newer tablets appear to be changing that.

It will be nice when you can actually use a tablet as a practical notepad. Right now, it's just a little too flaky.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think I will be buying another tablet for years now. I use my A500 so rarely, and I want to be able to slap it in a dock and actually be able to use it for desktop-computing, something that none of the current tablets offer. Tablets are horrible for gaming, so even the improved performance doesn't mean anything to me.
    I will buy a windows 8 tablet.
    I'm looking at the a700... a real possibility :)

Europe pricing is like 749 for 16 gb and just under 1000 for 64gb. Crazy

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    Hands-on with some Windows 8 developer versions on tablets was... disappointing. Win8 Metro is NOT the full OS. It's really down to Android Vs Apple. While I respect the engineering behind the iPads, I'll stick with Android. I don't like the walled garden iLifestyle. I like things like USB ports (small and fullsize), memory card slots, LOTS of developer support, 16:9 displays (seriously, Apple, WTF. 4:3 aspect ratio? In 2012??), and many other perks that Android has.