[Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

Search This thread

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
I have a tmo samsung galaxy note 2, that i purchased in December. I have not rooted the phone, thus stock ROM and all. The phone is up to date with the latest updates from tmobile. just two days ago, i tried to pass some photos from my phone to the PC via USB Cable. i connect the phone to my pc and it only goes to charge the phone, no connection notifications on neither the phone side nor the PC (Windows 7 home premium 64-bit). so i went to samsung for support, and got the run around of re-install the USB drivers, re-install Kies software, etc. after the un-installs i reset the PC, and after the re-installs, i reset the PC but nothing changed. also i soft reset the phone (turn it off, take out battery for 30 seconds, then turn it on), and still nothing. i have tried all different USB ports on my PC, have used different USB cables (my brother also has the GN2 so i tried with his USB cable). tried again on my mom's laptop, brother's PC, and i get no response at all from the PC's nor my GN2. could something inside have become damaged, i mean i take care of it like it was a baby, but maybe...???

on a side note, i used windows media player to transfer music the last time i was able to transfer, but the playlists showed up in both ext and int storage, so i deleted the int storage playlist files. could there be a problem stemming from WMPInfo.xml in the both the int/ext storage card?

if i'm missing any info to help with the problem, just ask. i'd like to get this resolved asap, since transferring over Kies Air is a hassle and sometimes doesn't respond properly, since i use my phone as my main camera and like to back up all my pics/vids on to an ext HDD.

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
After you plug the usb in to the phone and pc are you putting the phone in storage card mode? The phone will ask you.

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
it doesn't ask anything. the phone isnt recognizing that its been connected to a PC. it only goes to charge the phone, nothing else happens... :/

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
Bad usb port, try a different one, also another basic USB fix (with other devices) is to actually unplug the CPU/laptop from its power source for like 5 minutes... have you factory reset your phone? Not really sure but this problem sounds familiar with another I heard a while ago, not exactly sure what the end result was

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added 23rd February 2013 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 22nd February 2013 at 11:55 PM ----------

After re reading, if it's not ports, drivers, or bad flashing, and assuming you have made sure all your files are in order (mention of removing double files?), then Id say it's some sort of internal configuration with the settings of your cpu to your particular phone. Either some program is taking over how your cpu reads the device when plugged in, therefore causing your phone to behave the way it is, or usb ports need some inspecting. I wonder if its just MTP that is "under control" (maybe qualcomm usb "troubleshooting" could confirm this, of course Odin could too, perhaps)

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper420

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
Bad usb port, try a different one, also another basic USB fix (with other devices) is to actually unplug the CPU/laptop from its power source for like 5 minutes... have you factory reset your phone? Not really sure but this problem sounds familiar with another I heard a while ago, not exactly sure what the end result was

---------- Post added 23rd February 2013 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 22nd February 2013 at 11:55 PM ----------

After re reading, if it's not ports, drivers, or bad flashing, and assuming you have made sure all your files are in order (mention of removing double files?), then Id say it's some sort of internal configuration with the settings of your cpu to your particular phone. Either some program is taking over how your cpu reads the device when plugged in, therefore causing your phone to behave the way it is, or usb ports need some inspecting. I wonder if its just MTP that is "under control" (maybe qualcomm usb "troubleshooting" could confirm this, of course Odin could too, perhaps)

i thought at first it was Kaspersky Internet Security, but if that had been the case, it would've blocked my phone from connecting from day one. could it have something to do with the ext storage card (going out on a limb here)? i ahve contacted tmobile directly, to see what they say, but i'm trying everything, even have disabled my KIS, restarted my PC and still nothing. i'll try the troubleshooting your talking about. hopefully that sets everything straight. the wierdest part is that now Kies Air is picking up my phone and all, it just isnt working over USB cable :confused: :confused: ...

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
also, i haven't factory reset my phone. saving that as a last resort option if all else fails. quick note, this problem seems to have presented itself after the latest Kies update. but wouldn't explain why its not responding after re-install.

maniep

Jun 1, 2008
Guys, I hope the following helps you.

When you plug the Note to the PC USB cable-computer, you will see the USB icon on notification bar as charging.

Pull down the notification bar with your finger and tap on the charging USB notification.

Change the setting to the Camera and then unplug the phone from USB and plug it back again.

That should work. Look in the computer for devises and you will see the camera icon on your PC and also your C drive
and other devices.

Click it and the card/phone storage part will show up.

If it does not, re start PC and plug un plug the cable.

Work for me every time.

I too run Windows 8 Pro and that is how I do it.

:good:

Last edited:

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
Guys, I hope the following helps you.

When you plug the Note to the PC USB cable-computer, you will see the USB icon on notification bar as charging.

Pull down the notification bar with your finger and tap on the charging USB notification.

Change the setting to the Camera and then unplug the phone from USB and plug it back again.

That should work. Look in the computer for devises and you will see the camera icon on your PC and also your C drive
and other devices.

Click it and the card/phone storage part will show up.

If it does not, re start PC and plug un plug the cable.

Work for me every time.

I too run Windows 8 Pro and that is how I do it.

:good:

the problem is that the USB icon never appears on the notification bar, nor is it anywhere to be found when i pull down the notification bar. something is interfering with the phone recognizing connection to a PC's USB port...I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64
still haven't figured out what the problem might be. definitely going to T-Mobile store tomorrow...

Last edited:

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
If your brothers phone plugs in and is read perfectly fine on your PC then it's something with your phone... probably fixable with a reflash of stock.

It seems to me that your device is having an issue with MTP connectiviry (as your phones USB still charges when plugged in) and like I said, if you download the proper Qualcomm drivers for the GNII onto your pc, and use your phones dialer to adjust qualcomm usb settings (for example let's say) to enable QPST connectivity, then you could confirm its just MTP that is malfunctioning... if it's just MTP then as a troubleshooting guide, you could start disabling/reset settings to default/reinstalling apps on your phone or programs on your pc that are directly related to your phone being connected to your PC through USB (Kies, Windows Media, any other 3rd party apps or programs you may use, etc)

Eventually when disabling one of these apps you should get MTP working again (and at least then you have found the culprit-rogue app/program)

If it's not the PC (ie you still can't get connection to work when plugging into a different PC, and have troubleshot all your phones apps) then might be time to file a warranty claim

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

i thought at first it was Kaspersky Internet Security, but if that had been the case, it would've blocked my phone from connecting from day one. could it have something to do with the ext storage card (going out on a limb here)? i ahve contacted tmobile directly, to see what they say, but i'm trying everything, even have disabled my KIS, restarted my PC and still nothing. i'll try the troubleshooting your talking about. hopefully that sets everything straight. the wierdest part is that now Kies Air is picking up my phone and all, it just isnt working over USB cable :confused: :confused: ...

And to answer your question, yes... As a "basic" troubleshooting option, one should always try to use different SD cards in their phone to see if there is any difference!! Considering your brother has a GNII, I'd say not only do you have all the resources needed to find any problem any your phone ever has, but the resources are there to fix them as well :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper420

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
If your brothers phone plugs in and is read perfectly fine on your PC then it's something with your phone... probably fixable with a reflash of stock.

It seems to me that your device is having an issue with MTP connectiviry (as your phones USB still charges when plugged in) and like I said, if you download the proper Qualcomm drivers for the GNII onto your pc, and use your phones dialer to adjust qualcomm usb settings (for example let's say) to enable QPST connectivity, then you could confirm its just MTP that is malfunctioning... if it's just MTP then as a troubleshooting guide, you could start disabling/reset settings to default/reinstalling apps on your phone or programs on your pc that are directly related to your phone being connected to your PC through USB (Kies, Windows Media, any other 3rd party apps or programs you may use, etc)

Eventually when disabling one of these apps you should get MTP working again (and at least then you have found the culprit-rogue app/program)

If it's not the PC (ie you still can't get connection to work when plugging into a different PC, and have troubleshot all your phones apps) then might be time to file a warranty claim

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

And to answer your question, yes... As a "basic" troubleshooting option, one should always try to use different SD cards in their phone to see if there is any difference!! Considering your brother has a GNII, I'd say not only do you have all the resources needed to find any problem any your phone ever has, but the resources are there to fix them as well :D

i will definitely take this advice and try it out in the morning. hopefully this helps. otherwise its off to the T-Mobile store.

on a side note, i read recently somewhere that the issue i'm having may be presented while using a USB 3.0 port. Even though i do not have a USB 3.0 port, i recently purchased an external HDD which runs on USB 3.0/2.0 (compatible). could it be possible that such a configuration might have caused the issue (again going out on a far reaching limb)...??

Last edited:

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
i will definitely take this advice and try it out in the morning. hopefully this helps. otherwise its off to the T-Mobile store.

on a side note, i read recently somewhere that the issue i'm having may be presented while using a USB 3.0 port. Even though i do not have a USB 3.0 port, i recently purchased an external HDD which runs on USB 3.0/2.0 (compatible). could it be possible that such a configuration might have caused the issue (again going out on a far reaching limb)...??

Maybe if your hdd tried to auto load something onto your phone upon plug in... considering your stock, I don't see how this issue is even happening... outside of some app/program settings or some type of "hung" connection, the basic steps you have already covered with drivers/ports etc, should have nixed the problem

Viper420

Nov 13, 2009
New York
okay, so weirdest thing ever. I took my phone into T-Mobile store, where they connected it to their PC and boom, it picked up without a hitch. So they gave me a new wire, and when i got home the problem was solved. the GN2 is now back in order, responding as it should. thank you everyone for your input.

superg05

Aug 18, 2008
its being read as a media player under my computer you will see it and after you install the drivers you will get the pop up folder drag in drop in a limited do you want to convert this first or no media player options

Feb 21, 2013
i took it in to the T-Mobile store. turned out to be my USB wire. that fixed the problem for me. i'd say that's your best bet. hopefully your problem resolves as easily as mine did.

Thanks a lot. In my case it is not the cable and I'm still lost here. Not really sure what could be. I plugged in another GN2 using the same cable and the pc sees it.
Hopefully someone out there could advise me.

Thanks again.

alvs84

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks a lot. In my case it is not the cable and I'm still lost here. Not really sure what could be. I plugged in another GN2 using the same cable and the pc sees it.
Hopefully someone out there could advise me.

Thanks again.

I have having the same issue with a Galaxy Note II Verzion SCH-i605v and its pissing me off LOL. The computer picked it up at one point as gadget serial and installed the Samsung drivers but after that it the computer will not pick up the phone. The phone won't even be picked up on my roommates laptop. I am like please tell me what too do here?!?

also I can get the computer to pick it up in Odin mode which is so flipping werid lol any suggestions would be greatly as I would love to use this phone. I am currently using it with a cricket sim card. only getting 3G and HSPA+ at times. NO LTE or 4G. I'm trying to fix that problem but can't try unless the computer will pick up the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.