The populairty of apple explained, despite the 4g

Search This thread

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
rorytmeadows; said:
I see the opposite. I see depth in conversation. Yes, there's a few kiddies and a few people that look a little slow because of their translations, but for the more part, people are a little more insightful and less naive here than what I've seen on Mac sites. Over there, they will try anything to stick with the LIE.

Okay, there are definitely extremely rabid Apple fans on Mac fansites. I don't really regular any of those either. But to be honest, the discussions here are worse. There are at least people over at, for example, MacRumors who will concede and disagree with Apple, but of many conversations here, I've seen far more insanely and unreasonably critical posts of Apple for no discernible reason. This thread, for example. What exactly was the point of making fun of Apple's company name? Mac fanboys don't even reach that territory on Windows and Android.

And yeah, I know there are a lot of non-native English speakers here. That doesn't change my point though, because ignoring the bad grammar, the thoughts in many of these threads seem to have come out of young children.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Macs have a much higher resale value than PCs. That makes up for the higher initial cost, I think.

This is an incorrect slant statement, done in the style of Apple (congratulations, you're just like them!). Resale value can be based on a lot of things. Some of those things include how long they last, how dependable the hardware is, how easy they are to wipe for a new owner, etc etc. I can easily make the case that a PC has better resale value because it's easier to wipe clean, people know more about them, and they can get their mileage because they are customizable. But you have to remember, that people are spending a lot of money on Apple computers. Thus, they aren't going to be buying another one anytime soon. Factor that in to their availability, and it drives the price up. Again, they might be more expensive used, but that's because they are rarer, not because they are more dependable. In a few years, the hardware becomes obsolete because you can't upgrade and/or there were little options in the first place.

Simply, computers don't have consistent resale. Processors, motherboards, ports, and other essential pieces of computers do.

And while I would agree that some of the students with Macs buy it because it's "cool," I know plenty of people who legitimately like OS X better than Windows.

And they will all deny that they are buying it for "cool". Who's going to admit that? I can tear down anyone's "liking" of Macs and make them look foolish, as long as they don't get super aggressive with the "SHUT UP! PCs SUCK!" response I usually get 5 minutes in (they get so frustrated when they realize they made a foolish purchase).

But I think for most offices, Macs can do the job just as good as PCs can. Other than some specialized software in certain fields, I honestly don't see how having the technical know-how to do things on a PC gets you any farther than on a Mac.

This makes me think that you have no true experience with enterprise-anything.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113492765344092

Last edited:

M_T_M

Troll King & Retired Señor Mod - I Regret Nothing!
Apr 14, 2009
Texas
I'm frustrated with the replies to this thread. I assumed you were/are part of the mindless Apple-bashing crew, seeing as how you ignored the irony in the post I originally quoted and proceeded to derogatorily call me an "Apple lover."

See...that where the problem resides...you thought I was calling you an "Apple-Lover" (sound-bite) but no...au contraire...I was just answering your question with a non-sensical remark :confused:
And then you carried this attack on my persona calling me ignorant not once but three times :cool:
You don't know me and yet you've came up with your own conclusions based on a single post.

W

watcher64

Just going to make a few statements see and use them as you please ..

1.) PC's /Windows you buy it and put whatever operating system you want on it(except MAC of course)

2.) Mac's Current MACs sport the same hardware as PC's don't let the marketing noise fool you, same sata drives, same usb, same screens, same cpu's, and same memory.

3.) Mac's use an Intel based board in the new machines, this exact same board is available to purchase for a PC, with the exception of the asic that Apple puts on there to make it "Proprietary"

4.) Mac's may be perceived "more stable", but truly is only perception.

5.) Mac's OSX is not a "great new original operating system", OSX is built on a base of BSD with the Apple Kernel, and UI in front of it.

Last edited:

Purple Drama Llama

Dec 30, 2009

1.) PC's /Windows you buy it and put whatever operating system you want on it(except MAC of course)

2.) Mac's Current MACs sport the same hardware as PC's don't let the marketing noise fool you, same sata drives, same usb, same screens, same cpu's, and same memory.

3.) Mac's use an Intel based board in the new machines, this exact same board is available to purchase for a PC, with the exception of the asic that Apple puts on there to make it "Proprietary"

5.) Mac's OSX is not a "great new original operating system", OSX is built on a base of BSD with the Apple Kernel, and UI in front of it.

Honestly, Mac OSX looks just like Ubuntu to me.... just throwin' out there....:cool:

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
This is an incorrect slant statement, done in the style of Apple (congratulations, you're just like them!). Resale value can be based on a lot of things. Some of those things include how long they last, how dependable the hardware is, how easy they are to wipe for a new owner, etc etc. I can easily make the case that a PC has better resale value because it's easier to wipe clean, people know more about them, and they can get their mileage because they are customizable. But you have to remember, that people are spending a lot of money on Apple computers. Thus, they aren't going to be buying another one anytime soon. Factor that in to their availability, and it drives the price up. Again, they might be more expensive used, but that's because they are rarer, not because they are more dependable. In a few years, the hardware becomes obsolete because you can't upgrade and/or there were little options in the first place.

Simply, computers don't have consistent resale. Processors, motherboards, ports, and other essential pieces of computers do.

And they will all deny that they are buying it for "cool". Who's going to admit that? I can tear down anyone's "liking" of Macs and make them look foolish, as long as they don't get super aggressive with the "SHUT UP! PCs SUCK!" response I usually get 5 minutes in (they get so frustrated when they realize they made a foolish purchase).

This makes me think that you have no true experience with enterprise-anything.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113492765344092

Wait, how is it easier to wipe a PC clean? And how does "people knowing more about them" and PCs being more "customizable" affect resale value? The first portion of your post makes little sense.

And one thing about Apple is that they don't emphasize on hard specs. This annoys PC users, who have these ridiculously fast machines for relatively cheap prices. Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 3GS. If a person who had no prior knowledge about either phone used each of them for a day, they'd probably think that the 3GS has better specs, because the Galaxy S's UI lags while the iPhone's does not.

And please don't add in the lack of upgradeability for old hardware as part of your argument. Apple is *the best* at supporting old devices. You can have a MacBook from 2006 run the latest version of OS X smoothly. You can have the iPhone 3G run iOS 4 -- a *two year old* device. The original iPhone was given updates for *three years* (it received 1.x, 2.x, AND 3.x). Let's take a look at HTC: they're rolling out... Android 2.1 with Sense for the Hero, which came pretty late and will probably be the last major update for that phone.

One of the main reasons Apple's products have higher resale value is because they're supported by Apple for years down the road, generally much longer than those companies who launch five new laptops or phones per month.

(Note: I am a fan of HTC. They are also better at updates than a lot of other companies; just not Apple.)

----

Um, so just because some people buy Macs because they're cool, everyone automatically does? Can't I say that students only buy PCs because they want to avoid Apple's mainstream products?

----

No, I have no true experience with enterprise-anything. You're correct. Please give me examples about how having technical know-how on PCs gets you farther than on Macs.

Last edited:

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
See...that where the problem resides...you thought I was calling you an "Apple-Lover" (sound-bite) but no...au contraire...I was just answering your question with a non-sensical remark :confused:
And then you carried this attack on my persona calling me ignorant not once but three times :cool:
You don't know me and yet you've came up with your own conclusions based on a single post.

I saw the irony in the post. You said that only the "Apple lover" sees the irony in the post. How is that not calling me an Apple lover? :confused:

I automatically assume all people who arbitrarily attack Apple users/fans are unintelligent. If you were somehow not trying to be insulting in your first reply to me, then I apologize, and request that you explain how exactly your post was not an attempt to be insulting.

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore

You can put whatever OS you want on your Mac, too.

And look, Linux is extremely user-unfriendly. My whole argument is based on how Apple makes awesome UI's while other companies like Microsoft and Google for some reason either do not find it as important or are just not as skilled at it.

The better UI design might explain some of the "perceived" stability, but in my opinion, OS X is really more stable than Windows. I have no scientific proof of this, but I've had no major software problems with my Mac for almost two years, whereas the majority of PC users I know (including myself, members of my family, and my friends) has. My HP laptop stopped starting up one day, so I did a restore and it began working again -- except every app started crashing after several minutes of use. My brother's VAIO had at least one BSoD within the first week of owning it. My friend at school, who *is* tech-savvy, had his Dell XPS 13 fail to boot up in the middle of the day. And his (extended) battery sometimes drained quickly even while the laptop was asleep.

These all sound like software issues to me. And don't get me started on the bloatware that comes with most/all PCs.

Macs ARE a new operating system. If the UI is completely overhauled, that qualifies as a new operating system to me, because the UI is really the only thing that matters (assuming everything else performs at least adequately). iOS and OS X have literally flawless UI's that are not only nice-looking, but make the experience of using your computer better.

W

watcher64

And look, Linux is extremely user-unfriendly. My whole argument is based on how Apple makes awesome UI's while other companies like Microsoft and Google for some reason either do not find it as important or are just not as skilled at it.

The better UI design might explain some of the "perceived" stability, but in my opinion, OS X is really more stable than Windows. I have no scientific proof of this, but I've had no major software problems with my Mac for almost two years, whereas the majority of PC users I know (including myself, members of my family, and my friends) has. My HP laptop stopped starting up one day, so I did a restore and it began working again -- except every app started crashing after several minutes of use. My brother's VAIO had at least one BSoD within the first week of owning it. My friend at school, who *is* tech-savvy, had his Dell XPS 13 fail to boot up in the middle of the day. And his (extended) battery sometimes drained quickly even while the laptop was asleep.

These all sound like software issues to me. And don't get me started on the bloatware that comes with most/all PCs.

Macs ARE a new operating system. If the UI is completely overhauled, that qualifies as a new operating system to me, because the UI is really the only thing that matters (assuming everything else performs at least adequately). iOS and OS X have literally flawless UI's that are not only nice-looking, but make the experience of using your computer better.

In your opinion, that is, there is no rating scale to see how "flawless" a UI is, personally I can't stand the MAC UI, and I have owned MAC's, I think the UI was designed by "Fisher Price" it is simple, less powerful. So to say that the UI is what really makes an Apple better is like saying all Red cars are better than all Blue cars, it is not the shiny stuff on the outside that makes one OS/Hardware better than another.

hungry81

Apr 23, 2009

Quick believe him he says its true so it must be. Unsubstantiated stories and conjecture are always true. Or not. For proof that macs arnt all roses and sunshine please see the below links, from actual mac users.

http://www.brokenmacbook.com/

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1411?viewlocale=en_us&locale=en_us

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2352301&tstart=255

http://www.zdnet.com.au/mac-os-x-ha..._en-GBAU380AU381&ie=UTF-8&aq=1&oq=os+x+hacked

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29011823

Thankyou.

Last edited:

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008

Some of those links don't work (just FYI), but I agree with you. He's just throwing his own experience and "lots of people I know" statements that really have no backbone. Not to mention, he knows nothing about enterprise, which drives every single OTHER company in business (aside from Apple).

Daedream

Aug 12, 2007
Lol @ the Apple haters.

I own an HTC desire, 2 Linux boxes (arch and ubuntu), 2 Windows laptops and 1 server and a macbook pro laptop.

They all have their own quirks but at the end of the day they fit the purpose for which they were intended.

The main reason I will own a macbook but not an iPhone is because there is no appstore forced on me for OS X.

The iPhone is a fun gadget, but would be more so if Steve wasn't watching over your shoulder.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Lol @ the Apple haters.

I own an HTC desire, 2 Linux boxes (arch and ubuntu), 2 Windows laptops and 1 server and a macbook pro laptop.

They all have their own quirks but at the end of the day they fit the purpose for which they were intended.

The main reason I will own a macbook but not an iPhone is because there is no appstore forced on me for OS X.

The iPhone is a fun gadget, but would be more so if Steve wasn't watching over your shoulder.

This is a perfect example of someone that GETS it. He has a Mac, probably for the things that Macs are good at (and probably uses it for an actual reason, unlike 98% of Mac owners that just need the UI because the user is SLOW). But he owns other hardware and OS' for a variety of his needs and probably the majority of his [functional] work.

And he doesn't buy into the Jobs-Machine for an obvious reason!

Fanbois, this is your model.

M_T_M

Troll King & Retired Señor Mod - I Regret Nothing!
Apr 14, 2009
Texas
I saw the irony in the post. You said that only the "Apple lover" sees the irony in the post. How is that not calling me an Apple lover? :confused:

I automatically assume all people who arbitrarily attack Apple users/fans are unintelligent. If you were somehow not trying to be insulting in your first reply to me, then I apologize, and request that you explain how exactly your post was not an attempt to be insulting.

Apology taken. Don't take stuff to personal and don't make posts that were not directed to you, "yours" :)
I'm cool ;)

W

watcher64

Lol @ the Apple haters.

What you say is true, but what makes most people get upset at the average "Apple Fanboy", is the fact the say it is sooo much better, it is better hardware, it is better OS , yada yada yada ...

Hardware, same as any PC these days.
Software, good for for what it was meant for.
OS, take it or leave it, has it's ups and it's downs just as any one does.

But to just to make a blanket statement that it is better is foolish.

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
This is a perfect example of someone that GETS it. He has a Mac, probably for the things that Macs are good at (and probably uses it for an actual reason, unlike 98% of Mac owners that just need the UI because the user is SLOW). But he owns other hardware and OS' for a variety of his needs and probably the majority of his [functional] work.

And he doesn't buy into the Jobs-Machine for an obvious reason!

Fanbois, this is your model.

You know, you keep saying that Macs are made for play and PCs are made for "enterprise." I honestly see little difference in the abilities of each OS to handle certain tasks, and you have once again failed to provide any examples to back up your massive generalizations.

And what you're basically saying is that it's not alright to prefer OS X to Windows. You have to either like just Windows or like both. ?!

Also, why are you insulting me for liking nicer, sleeker, and cleaner UI's? WTF? Are you saying we should all be subjected to WinMo just to prove we're not too stupid to navigate it? Anyway, by saying what you said, you just proved my ENTIRE POINT that Macs have a superior UI, which is really all that matters considering how similar everything else is (INCLUDING functionality, contrary to popular belief).

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
Lol @ the Apple haters.

Yes, Apple's ridiculous restrictions are annoying. That's why people (including me) jailbreak. ;)

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Also, why are you insulting me for liking nicer, sleeker, and cleaner UI's? WTF? Are you saying we should all be subjected to WinMo just to prove we're not too stupid to navigate it? Anyway, by saying what you said, you just proved my ENTIRE POINT that Macs have a superior UI, which is really all that matters considering how similar everything else is (INCLUDING functionality, contrary to popular belief).

The bottom line is this: I think Windows 7 has a nicer, sleeker, and cleaner UI. But I think that's why everyone stopped talking to you. You just don't get it. This is your argument...

"Mac OS is better because it's nicer! I think it's much nicer! And it has the same functionality if not better! And all my friends like it! So all this points to Macs being the winner!"

Which is not proof, and is basically just some fanboi, claiming he's not, claiming he's still smart enough to operate a PC, yet gives explanations that are borderline childish. Come back when you're 10 years older and have a bit more real world experience and deeper reasoning skills. Not an attack personally, just requires a bit more years of experience and age to understand this discussion fully. I'm not saying this as a MS fanboy, I'm saying this as someone who has a JOB to find out the low-down on technology and invest a company's money wisely.

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore

Did you miss the part where I explicitly stated that my evidence is not scientific? I just made some casual observations among everyone whom I know, and most of them have more (software) problems on their Windows PCs than the many people I know on Macs. Just saying. And it doesn't necessarily mean Microsoft messed up, either; the problems could easily have been caused by software or drivers from the manufacturer. But again, Apple doesn't make you worry about this stuff. I've had a PC before, so I am *capable* of troubleshooting my computer when it goes crazy, but why would I willingly subject myself to that just to prove I can?

And obviously, Macs have problems, too. But whether or not it's only a perception, they're much more stable to me. It's like the reason tech geeks are not all buying JooJoo's over iPads; iPads are a lot more fluid. (Hopefully we can all at least agree on that.)

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
The bottom line is this: I think Windows 7 has a nicer, sleeker, and cleaner UI. But I think that's why everyone stopped talking to you. You just don't get it. This is your argument...

"Mac OS is better because it's nicer! I think it's much nicer! And it has the same functionality if not better! And all my friends like it! So all this points to Macs being the winner!"

Which is not proof, and is basically just some fanboi, claiming he's not, claiming he's still smart enough to operate a PC, yet gives explanations that are borderline childish. Come back when you're 10 years older and have a bit more real world experience and deeper reasoning skills. Not an attack personally, just requires a bit more years of experience and age to understand this discussion fully. I'm not saying this as a MS fanboy, I'm saying this as someone who has a JOB to find out the low-down on technology and invest a company's money wisely.

Actually, the bottom line is that people should stop randomly hating Macs and Apple without at least giving a reason. And not the fact that Apple makes and airs commercials.

If you like PCs, I'm not going to stop you. But again, don't randomly hate Macs without giving me a real reason. Your reason is that Macs are not functional. My reaction is: what? If that's my argument, this is yours:

"Macs suck because they're not functional! PCs are good for enterprise. Companies use them! They are functional! And Macs have problems, too!"

AS I SAID, it's fine if you prefer PCs. However, you're the one saying it's wrong to like Macs. The only Mac user here you approved of is that guy who has PCs as well. You know, I've only been a Mac user since December 2008; before then, I've always used PCs. I *know* how PCs work, in case you were wondering. I am not blindly insulting PCs as you seem to be doing to Macs.

If it makes you feel better, you can call my reasoning that the OS X UI is simpler and more fluid "childish." Preferring to not subject yourself to daily headaches is not childish. But again, some people can stand the Windows UI. When my Mac's fan failed, I had to use a Windows desktop I had laying around for a week. Coming from my Mac, the experience was awful. And I say this not as an Apple fan, but as a tech geek. The decent specs on the desktop -- Quad Core, 512 MB graphics card -- didn't stop the experience from sucking in comparison. But once again, UI isn't as big a deal to some people as it is to me. Some people think that as long as it works, it's adequate; unfortunately, I do not think this way.

You, however, also seem to lack deeper reasoning skills. Don't take this personally, but you seem to be basing your argument off of age-old stereotypes of Macs. Again, in what way are Macs not functional or suited for the office?