Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
New build

I'm sorry :(

So here's what happened:
I made that initial package and posted it to RapidShare.
The link went dead after 10 downloads and I couldn't find my original.
I thought I had found it and re-posted it, but it was a bad copy :(

So here is a new build, call it 1.0 :)

What you get:
  • latest General Mobile update (build 1502)
  • su binary + SuperUser APK
  • Google Maps APK
  • Better Terminal APK
  • SlideME2 APK (alternative to Market)
  • AndAppStore APK (alternative to Market)
  • K-9 Mail APK

AndroidSPIN is hosting!
crzyruski-DSTL1_1.5_rooted-v1.00.zip
chart

OR
Mirror: DSTL1_root_1.0.zip

Happy ROOT!

P.S. Some exciting news behind the scenes, we may be getting a new recovery image soon thanks to Amon_RA.

-crzyruski

Last edited:

ikarishinjisan

Oct 23, 2009
I've installed that new package on the Sciphone N21, and it works fine (ie. su command works). The other added apps (Google Maps, email client, ...) also work fine !

Great job!

sfabris

Oct 28, 2009
ATTENTION N21 owners

Please contact me before you flash your brand new N21!

I would like a copy of your phone's firmware before you overwrite it with something else.

Well, I'm still waiting for my device, but... what is the best way of backing up the firmware?

I could think of "dd" the /dev/mtd* partitions, but I'm not sure if this could give something useful, moreover as I don't have the device I don't even know if this can be done.
I know that there are utils around for Android... Do they work in dstl1/n21?

Anyway, given the amount of inormation and news coming out of this thread, would'nt be a good idea to move on another forum inside xda-developers?

Ciao

sfabris

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Generally this is the methodology:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/mtd0.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 > /sdcard/mtd1.img

This way we capture bootloader and boot

This will require a trick:
Apparently the device will automatically take the file "recovery.img" from you /sdcard/update folder and flash it.
This is very much like HTC devices - those devices flash recovery on every boot from a recovery image on their system.

So the idea is to load a modified recovery onto your sdcard - particularly one that has ADB root enabled.

After this is done we can adb into your device when it is in recovery mode and run those cat commands and back them up to your sdcard. At which point I would like get a copy of those so I can compare DSTL1 to N21 :) might be useful

The only difference I know so far, courtesy of ikarishinjisan, is a newer kernel build and lack of a General Mobile boot logo (tux instead). Funny thing is they kept the General Mobile logo on the launcher.

-------------------------------

Please recommend what forum on XDA we could move to?
This is upgrading, modifying, and unlocking... as far as I can tell.
I would love for DSTL1 to get their own forum, but this is an HTC device only site.

News and information can go to the Android wiki: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=DSTL1

Last edited:

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
DSTL1 rooted Donut pre-release + PATCH

Very Exciting News! and... a WORLD of difference.

Exciting features include "LCD density support, VPN, faster speed, TTS, Local search, etc..."

Patch includes Google Applications :)

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING FIRST - I know it is difficult but it is better before you complain later

A few words:
  • This is not an official release - there will be bugs
  • I only take credit for root
  • You understand that your are responsible for any of these modifications and you alone

Warning:
  • BACKUP YOUR PHONE. (Factory reset is a requirement and data is irretrievable afterward)
  • I have only used MyBackup (30 day free trial) and it did the trick... make note that it did not have the option to backup my calendar, so I lost a little bit in that sense.
  • In the future, NANDROID will be the most ideal option.

The steps you will need to go through:
  1. Make sure you have plenty of power for the device (just on the safe side)
  2. flash recovery
  3. flash system
  4. patch google apps (optional) <--- this is optional because you do not need it for 1.6, but why wouldn't you want it?

Please note that if you choose to wait patching: Patching formats your DATA - so be ready and be backed up if necessary

New Recovery:
  • Donut image needs more space, so we must get a bigger NAND partition via the new Recovery
  • Also this new Recovery has more attractive features.
  • Copy recovery.img to "/sdcard/update/" and reboot you phone.
  • DSTL1 will auto flash the above location at bootup.
  • - A good indication of successful Recovery flash is that recovery.img will now be missing (it is deleted by the auto-flash). You may wish to make sure it was deleted before you attempt to boot into Recovery.
  • - Enter into Recovery mode, and check the "RecVer". If it has a Donut label, first big step has been completed. (pat yourself on the back :))

Your new Recovery image can support PATCH install (i.e. Google Apps PATCH)

Thanks to Anonymous source!
Download here: DSTL1_donut_recovery.img
MD5: D2F87EA335EC55D8A3D9B88EE852DAB3
Mirror: DSTL1_donut_recovery.img

Rooted Donut:
  • Copy DSTL1_Donut_test_root.zip to "/sdcard/update/"
  • - It is good practice to keep your update directory clean of other packages, but it is not mandatory
  • Boot into your new Recovery
  • Proceed to do a Factory Reset by pressing "BACK" twice in the recovery menu. (I hope you backed everything up)
  • Press "HOME" to initiate search for a ZIP package in your update folder.
  • - Please make sure the file identified by Recovery is the one you wish to flash (in case you have other ZIP packages in update folder for whatever reason)
  • - If the file identified by Recovery is not the one you wish to use press any key other than "HOME" in "Update confirm dialogue" to let it search another ZIP package. Repeat as necessary
  • Press "HOME" to finalize update.
  • You may wish to do a Board Test

Ok, boot your phone, enjoy it.
If you have problem while boot, please go back to Recovery mode to do a Factory Reset.

I rooted it, but BIG THANKS to Anonymous source!
crzyruski-DSTL1_Donut_Test_rooted-v1.00.zip
chart

OR
Mirror: DSTL1_Donut_Test_rooted.zip

#6 (optional)
Google Apps PATCH:
  • Backup your data if needed.
  • - User DATA will be formatted.
  • Place DSTL1_Donut_market_patch.zip to "/sdcard/update/"
  • - It is good practice to keep your update directory clean of other packages, but it is not mandatory
  • - Please make sure the file identified by Recovery is the one you wish to flash (in case you have other ZIP packages in update folder for whatever reason)
  • - If the file identified by Recovery is not the one you wish to use press any key other than "HOME" in "Update confirm dialogue" to let it search another ZIP package. Repeat as necessary

You need to insert a valid sim card in slot1, google setup need it.

Some notice about google contact sync setup after market patch:
Pls select "com.android.sdksetup" firstly in boot up option after touch calibration.
You can also click "skip" in setup wizard, so you can activate it again after wifi working:)

P.S. You may need to do a Factory Reset after applying patch!

taitai and testers identified and fixed bugs! BIG THANKS to Anonymous source!
crzyruski-DSTL1_Market_Patch-v1.10.zip
chart

OR
Mirror: DSTL1_Donut_market_patch_fixed.zip

REMINDER: these are not an official release so I'm sure there will be bugs. Be part of our DSTL1 community and share the bugs identified and how you have gotten around them :)

HAPPY DONUT
HAPPY ROOT

THANK YOU AndroidSPIN for hosting!

Attachments

• 1.6_power_widget.jpg
    1.6_power_widget.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 1.6_task_manager.jpg
    1.6_task_manager.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 1.6_drop_down.png
    1.6_drop_down.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 1.6_launcher.jpg
    1.6_launcher.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Correct me if I am mistaken - and please add your own findings for 1.6:

I used my existing Google Account for SetupWizard and SURPRISE - you need a data connection to complete this step.
This is probably the first time you turned on your phone and all data has been formatted so you have no APN settings and no WI-FI settings.
So press the menu button (D-PAD CENTER) and you will get one option: Wireless Settings.
Unfortunately the only changes you can make are APN settings :(
To make matters worse there are no APN presets (like usual) so you should hunt it down online.
Everytime I completed sign-in and it synced, the Finishing step would crash and try to start me all over again with the Wizard. :(
I got a little frustrated and figured out you can close applications from the top pull-down menu (nice feature :))
The Setup Wizard had worked, it just didnt want to close properly...

My main interests:
Yay for Market!
Yay for GMail!
No Maps? Market didn't have it either?... had to find it online as before

jlcd

Oct 23, 2009
Correct me if I am mistaken - and please add your own findings for 1.6:

I used my existing Google Account for SetupWizard and SURPRISE - you need a data connection to complete this step.
This is probably the first time you turned on your phone and all data has been formatted so you have no APN settings and no WI-FI settings.
So press the menu button (D-PAD CENTER) and you will get one option: Wireless Settings.
Unfortunately the only changes you can make are APN settings :(
To make matters worse there are no APN presets (like usual) so you should hunt it down online.
Everytime I completed sign-in and it synced, the Finishing step would crash and try to start me all over again with the Wizard. :(
I got a little frustrated and figured out you can close applications from the top pull-down menu (nice feature :))
The Setup Wizard had worked, it just didnt want to close properly...

My main interests:
Yay for Market!
Yay for GMail!
No Maps? Market didn't have it either?... had to find it online as before

Just same problem...

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Speaker Crackle

I have also noticed a speaker crackle sometimes:
-I have noticed it since 1.5
-occurs when playing certain music files
-especially notice it during speech synthesis (1.6)

How about you?

tolemac

Oct 28, 2009
Wow!! You ROCKS!! :D

I´m thinking about purchase Sciphone N21, this thread help me, is very useful.

If I finally purchase N21, you will have news from me.

Thanks and good work.

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Interesting how the N21 is gaining such interest, it must be the price point compared to the DSTL1. I really am surprised there are not any hardware differences.

Hope you get your device soon tolemac!

sinman

Oct 18, 2007
Hello, I've read your post at N19 thread but i think N19 it's different in all ways to DSTL1/N21.

N19 hasn't boot or recovery partitions. But i think it's a rooted handset because i can do directly adb push /tmp/adp1.5_property_app/YouTube.apk /system/app and it works perfectly, but sounds don't work

i'm using your app package because N19 lacks youtube app.

killdashnin9

Oct 30, 2009
Sciphone N21

I just finished ordering my Sciphone N21. Big thanks to crzyruski with all of his efforts and successes!

taitai

Jul 7, 2008
Very Exciting News! and... a WORLD of difference.

Exciting features include "LCD density support, VPN, faster speed, TTS, Local search, etc..."

Patch includes Google Applications :)

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING FIRST - I know it is difficult but it is better before you complain later

A few words:
  • This is not an official release - there will be bugs
  • I only take credit for root
  • You understand that your are responsible for any of these modifications and you alone

Warning:
  • BACKUP YOUR PHONE. (Factory reset is a requirement and data is irretrievable afterward)
  • I have only used MyBackup (30 day free trial) and it did the trick... make note that it did not have the option to backup my calendar, so I lost a little bit in that sense.
  • In the future, NANDROID will be the most ideal option.

The steps you will need to go through:
  1. Make sure you have plenty of power for the device (just on the safe side)
  2. flash recovery
  3. flash system
  4. patch google apps (optional) <--- this is optional because you do not need it for 1.6, but why wouldn't you want it?

Please note that if you choose to wait patching: Patching formats your DATA - so be ready and be backed up if necessary

New Recovery:
  • Donut image needs more space, so we must get a bigger NAND partition via the new Recovery
  • Also this new Recovery has more attractive features.
  • Copy recovery.img to "/sdcard/update/" and reboot you phone.
  • DSTL1 will auto flash the above location at bootup.
  • - A good indication of successful Recovery flash is that recovery.img will now be missing (it is deleted by the auto-flash). You may wish to make sure it was deleted before you attempt to boot into Recovery.
  • - Enter into Recovery mode, and check the "RecVer". If it has a Donut label, first big step has been completed. (pat yourself on the back :))

Your new Recovery image can support PATCH install

Download here: DSTL1_donut_recovery.img
MD5: D2F87EA335EC55D8A3D9B88EE852DAB3
Don't forget to rename to recovery.img

Rooted Donut:
  • Copy DSTL1_Donut_test_root.zip to "/sdcard/update/"
  • Proceed to do a Factory Reset by pressing "BACK" twice in the recovery menu. (I hope you backed everything up)
  • You may wish to do a Board Test

Ok, boot your phone, enjoy it.
If you have problem while boot, please go back to Recovery mode to do a Factory Reset.

Download here: DSTL1_Donut_Test_rooted.zip
MD5: 2A05FDA12CBD4D27AB630836E36465F0

#6 (optional)
Google Apps PATCH:
  • Backup your data if needed.
  • - User DATA will be formatted.
  • Place DSTL1_Donut_market_patch.zip to "/sdcard/update/"

Download here: DSTL1_Donut_market_patch.zip
MD5: EB619DFD87BB494C66069023BF01F0B5

REMINDER: this is not an official release so I'm sure there will be bugs. Be part of our DSTL1 community and share the bugs identified and how you have gotten around them :)

HAPPY DONUT
HAPPY ROOT

You are just brilliant.
I followed your guide and successfully loaded 1.6, loaded OK.
though I updated your market patch, and rebooted , the system started, home screen loaded, asking for screen adjustment, then back to home screen with screen lock, then I strucked, press the menu but but no response. I re-updated the 1.6 and re-update the market patch twice, same problem.

While 1.6 on its own is OK so far.

found a bug though with camera, while camera is running and you press the menu key for setting, something it said "an error occurs with camera"

Thanks once again for your work. Appreciated.

Mine is sciphone N21

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
I can only take credit for root and sharing, but thank you.

Odd that your device went to screen lock and became unresponsive - I could not recreate your issue on my DSTL1.
Also odd that you have camera issues - I could not recreate your issue on my DSTL1.
I wonder if this is a N21 issue? Anyone with one can comment?

-crzyruski

You are just brilliant.
I followed your guide and successfully loaded 1.6, loaded OK.
though I updated your market patch, and rebooted , the system started, home screen loaded, asking for screen adjustment, then back to home screen with screen lock, then I strucked, press the menu but but no response. I re-updated the 1.6 and re-update the market patch twice, same problem.

While 1.6 on its own is OK so far.

found a bug though with camera, while camera is running and you press the menu key for setting, something it said "an error occurs with camera"

Thanks once again for your work. Appreciated.

Mine is sciphone N21

taitai

Jul 7, 2008
Could you kindly provide some hints on how to install input method? I tried installing plainly .apk , tried install via adb, seems not work.

puzzzled.

wineleven

Jun 5, 2009
Hi taitai, do you insert a valid sim card in slot1, google setup need it.

Some notice about google contact sync setup after market patch:
Pls select "com.android.sdksetup" firstly in boot up option after touch calibration.
You can also click "skip" in setup wizard, so you can activate it again after wifi working:)

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
@taitai
What do you mean install input? The DSTL1 (and N2 I imagine) uses touch screen input in addition to hardware buttons.
Hardware buttons:
  • Call (SIM 1)
  • Home (SIM 2)
  • Back
  • Hang Up (Power)
  • 5 button Directional Pad (D-Pad)
  • volume rocker (rock up and rock down)
  • camera (half press and full press)

Are you experiencing problems installing an APK package?
Please make sure "Unknown sources" is enabled: Settings > Applications > Unknown sources.

Please list adb commands you are trying to use and their respective results.

Could you kindly provide some hints on how to install input method? I tried installing plainly .apk , tried install via adb, seems not work.

puzzzled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.