[Q] USB 3.0 -OTG failing with moto G

Search This thread

Mukund_pb

May 2, 2014
Hi,

This is my first post so bear with me ...:)

I have recently purchased Moto G and was trying out OTG functionality. I have brought a USB 3.0 16gb pen drive and formatted it in FAT32 File system and trying to connect to Moto G using a OTG cable (USB 2.0) but it is giving an error "USB storage is blank or has unsupported filesystem"

I recently tried out with 8gb USB 2.0 pen drive an it was working fine.

Can you please advice what could be the issue here and how to fix this?

Thanks,
Mukund

reversegear

Jul 17, 2011
Amazon Fire TV
Realme GT Neo 2
Hi,

This is my first post so bear with me ...:)

I have recently purchased Moto G and was trying out OTG functionality. I have brought a USB 3.0 16gb pen drive and formatted it in FAT32 File system and trying to connect to Moto G using a OTG cable (USB 2.0) but it is giving an error "USB storage is blank or has unsupported filesystem"

I recently tried out with 8gb USB 2.0 pen drive an it was working fine.

Can you please advice what could be the issue here and how to fix this?

Thanks,
Mukund

I believe the 16gb USB3.0 pen drive you have is backwards compatible I.e, it also supports USB2.0
Then the problem is with the file system of the pendrive ... Stock moto g ROMs doesn't detect NTFS USB devices... You should change it to fat32 and try

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mukund_pb

May 2, 2014
I believe the 16gb USB3.0 pen drive you have is backwards compatible I.e, it also supports USB2.0
Then the problem is with the file system of the pendrive ... Stock moto g ROMs doesn't detect NTFS USB devices... You should change it to fat32 and try

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks, But I already have FAT32 as the file system for my pen drive. Is there is a posibility that Moto g / OTG cable doesn't have capability to transfer date as 3.0 speeds or backward compatibility should take care of it ?

Will it help if I have a OTG-USB 3.0 cable, or it will also have the same issue may be due to Moto G limitation?

Thanks,
Mukund

Mukund_pb

May 2, 2014
As your phone supports USB 2.0, I think that's why you are facing problem with USB 3. pen drive.
As far I know, USB port is related to hardware. So, probably you won't be able to upgrade your USB 2.0 to USB 3.0, but I am not sure.

hmm..It is possible, But I am not sure what is the phone capability. I thought moto G may have support for connecting to USB 3.0 using OTG-USB 3.0 cable, which is recently introduced in market. I did some google research on the same but could not find out if there is some intrinsic limitation of Moto G with USB 3.0..:(