[Guide] How to Downgrade, Factory Restore, and fully update the Rezound

Search This thread

REV3NT3CH

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
For this you MUST BE S-OFF FOR DOWNGRADING with a relocked bootloader and make sure you are not on a custom or hex edited hboot or you can brick your device. Also this will reformat sdcards so please backup all your data to pc beforehand.

Part 1: Preparation

How to get S-OFF: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2502814
Drivers You will need: http://d-h.st/faV and http://d-h.st/D3W
Fastboot&ADB: http://d-h.st/3x4

Step 1.) If you dont have a fastboot folder set up, download the above Fastboot&ADB file and extract it. Make a folder in C:/ drive and name it Android, then place the extracted folder named Fastboot in there.

Step 2.) Reboot into Bootloader on phone and select fastboot once in fastboot tab on phone then plug it into pc so you get Fastboot USB showing on the phones screen.

Step 3.) On the Computer Open CMD Prompt and cd into the fastboot folder i had you create by typing cd c:/Android/Fastboot and hit enter

Step 4.) Now in CMD Prompt type fastboot oem lock and hit enter.

Your phone Should now be S-off with a locked bootloader please verify beforehand that your bootloader says its locked or relocked and is s-off first and we can now proceed to next step.

Part 2a: The RUU's

Ok for this part you will have to reboot back into bootloader then go to fastboot option. Plug the device in so it says Fastboot USB.

Step 1.) Download the following RUU files from the link below and check the md5's to ensure you have a good download
RUU.exe's (http://d-h.st/users/REV3NT3CH/?fld_id=27379#files)

RUN THE RUU.exe files AS ADMINISTARTOR

Step 2) The first RUU.exe to run is RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_1.00.605.3_Radio_RS_0.93.00.0914r_3161C1_9K_NV_8k_1.12_9k_1.83_V_APT_release_216261_signed.exe .It will have you checkbox and hit next a few times until it starts the flash. Once done let it fully boot into the rom. Once done you unplug from computer and boot into Bootloader by pulling the battery putting it back in and holding volume down and power. Once it vibrates just release power till it boots to bootloader. Go back into the fastboot option and plug it in so it again says Fastboot USB

Step 3) The second RUU.exe to run is RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_1.02.605.6_Radio_RS_0.95.00.1013r_3161E_9K_NV_8k_1.12_9k_1.83_V_APT_release_221502_signed.exe . Repeat the same process as step 2.

Step 4) The third RUU.exe to run is RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.11_Radio_RS_0.95.00.1123r_3161E_9K_QMR_release_233635_signed.exe . Also repeat same process as step 2.

Step 5) The last and fourth RUU.exe is RUU_VIGOR_ICS_35_S_VERIZON_WWE_3.14.605.12_Radio_RS_1.22.10.0424r_3622A_MR3_9K_release_270509_signed.exe .Once it has finished allow the phone to boot to rom and allow verizon to activate...when done connect as mass storage device.

Part 2b: The PH98IMG OTA zips

Step 1.) Download the following PH98IMG files from the link below and check the md5's to ensure you have a good download
OTA PH98IMG.zips (http://d-h.st/users/REV3NT3CH/?fld_id=27380#files)

Step 2.) Take the "this 1st PH98IMG.zip" file and place it in the root of your external sdcard and rename it so it looks like PH98IMG.zip. Disconnect phone from pc and reboot to bootloader. Once booted to bootloader it will have a loading bar at the top right. Once it finishes reading it will say Volume Up to update. Press volume up to update the first ota. It will reboot back into bootloader and have you volume up to update again a few times to fully do the update. Once done let it boot to rom and connect to phone as mass storage. Delete the PH98IMG of the external SD card.

Step 3.) Take the "this 2nd PH98IMG.zip" file and place it in the root of your external sdcard and rename it so it looks like PH98IMG.zip. Repeat same steps as step 2. Once this one finishes you are all done with all updates.

I Give Thanks to:
@IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo for answering all my questions
@jmz and android filehost for showing the ruu's do exist just not working in the stickied thread
@Flyhalf205 for posting some of the original OTA zip files
@All you guys for being so kind and patient with me
If i need to mention and give thanks to anyone else pm me and ill fix it

Last edited:

ximfinity

May 23, 2010
MD, USA
Thanks. I'm on 2.22 and I've been needing up update to get wifi working well on Carbon, I'm giving this a go once everything downloads.

Edit:

Just finished in about 1.5 - 2 hours with downloading and all installs.

HBOOT- 2.28.0000
Radio- 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r

Thanks!

Last edited:

ximfinity

May 23, 2010
MD, USA
Are you s-on or s-off? You don't need to do all of these steps to get to the latest firmware, just some of the RUU steps at the end.

I'm on S-OFF which ones do I need to do in that case? its a ton of downloads!

I'm still on JuopunutBear Hboot- 2.25.2525
Radio 2.22.10.001r

Last edited:

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
I'm on S-OFF which ones do I need to do in that case? its a ton of downloads!

I just saw you added your radio/hboot version, you're way behind. Still being s-off, you should be able to just upgrade your firmware/radios using the file marked "this 3rd PH98IMG.zip"

This guide I believe is intended for people who need to wipe their phone completely back to stock which is very useful with someone with a non working phone or just wanted to start clean.

I don't believe that zip wipes anything but back up your internal SD to be safe.

Last edited:

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Edited original post as you should only be s-off for the downgrading part. If you dont know which versions would be a downgrade for you just send me a message and ill gladly answer for you

jmvaught

Oct 18, 2010
Conway, SC
Excellent write up REV3NT3CH. I must say that if you are experiencing slow boots and/or random reboots you need to do this. Downgrade to the 1.00 RUU and walk them back up to hboot 2.28 one step at a time. You will be much happier, guaranteed. Thanks again bud.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

SoonerDude

May 26, 2008
McLoud, OK
I'm on Part 2a, step3, installing my 2nd RUU, it's been on the Sending..... screen for about 20 minutes now. Is it normal? The first RUU only took about 8 minutes.

My phone is showing the same htc screen on black background as it did during the first RUU I ran, but no sort of progress meter like last time.

Is there any way I can tell if it's still writing or just hung up?

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
I'm on Part 2a, step3, installing my 2nd RUU, it's been on the Sending..... screen for about 20 minutes now. Is it normal? The first RUU only took about 8 minutes.

My phone is showing the same htc screen on black background as it did during the first RUU I ran, but no sort of progress meter like last time.

did you check the md5's on download...could of downloaded badly

Reactions: kitcostantino

SoonerDude

May 26, 2008
McLoud, OK

Sure did, learned a long time ago to check the md5's. I eventually just killed it and started the RUU over, it took 2 or 3 tries and it finally worked. Had to do each of the last 3 RUU's that way. Not sure if it was my POS work computer or what.

Everything is good now.

Thanks!

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Sure did, learned a long time ago to check the md5's. I eventually just killed it and started the RUU over, it took 2 or 3 tries and it finally worked. Had to do each of the last 3 RUU's that way. Not sure if it was my POS work computer or what.

Everything is good now.

Thanks!

Glad it finally went through...it could be the computer. Also sometimes firewalls or antivirus programs could cause these kind of issues. I was able to do all of them succesfully on first try with windows 7 64bit

dogface3247

Feb 16, 2012
Detroit
I'm on HBOOT- 2.28.0000 Radio- 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r already, i use a different method but having problems with not having full bar signals. Lots of drops also. Are you guys getting full bars? I will try this method hopefully it will work.

acejavelin

I'm on HBOOT- 2.28.0000 Radio- 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r already, i use a different method but having problems with not having full bar signals. Lots of drops also. Are you guys getting full bars? I will try this method hopefully it will work.
Bars mean nothing, they are just a comfort for users and typically exaggerated by manufacturers... CM based ROMs, like Tachyon, report signal strength more accurately, you can always check in Settings->About Phone->Status to see the actual signal strength you are getting...

A signal of -60dBm or higher is considered perfect, and at around -112dBm it is call-dropping bad (varies by make/model/revision but a good estimate). If you're above about -87 dBm, most manufacturers installation of Android will report a full 4 bars of signal, where CM-based ROMs more accurately register this as around 3 bars.

Reactions: dogface3247

dogface3247

Feb 16, 2012
Detroit
Bars mean nothing, they are just a comfort for users and typically exaggerated by manufacturers... CM based ROMs, like Tachyon, report signal strength more accurately, you can always check in Settings->About Phone->Status to see the actual signal strength you are getting...

A signal of -60dBm or higher is considered perfect, and at around -112dBm it is call-dropping bad (varies by make/model/revision but a good estimate). If you're above about -87 dBm, most manufacturers installation of Android will report a full 4 bars of signal, where CM-based ROMs more accurately register this as around 3 bars.

right now im in my basement and getting -102 dBm.

acejavelin

That is only about 1 bar, the phone is representing the signal it is getting normally. Under the factory ROM this would have been represented as 2-3 bars... remember that this is only an indication of signal to comfort people, not a real indication of signal reception.

If this level of signal seems wrong, I would first look at the back cover and verify it is an HTC brand back cover (standard or extended) and that it is seated properly, this is the root cause of 90% of all bad signal on the Rezound as the antenna are in the back cover. Many alternative back cover/battery combinations have poor backs and antennas, like Laza.

Reactions: dogface3247

dogface3247

Feb 16, 2012
Detroit
That is only about 1 bar, the phone is representing the signal it is getting normally. Under the factory ROM this would have been represented as 2-3 bars... remember that this is only an indication of signal to comfort people, not a real indication of signal reception.

If this level of signal seems wrong, I would first look at the back cover and verify it is an HTC brand back cover (standard or extended) and that it is seated properly, this is the root cause of 90% of all bad signal on the Rezound as the antenna are in the back cover. Many alternative back cover/battery combinations have poor backs and antennas, like Laza.

To do these step do i have to be S-OFF?

acejavelin

to do my guide and downgrade or what acejavelin mentioned
Before you go through all this, I would try to verify IF there is even an issue... Get a friend or two with Verizon 4G phones and everyone go to an area and read their levels, although there will be some variance, if two phones are in the -70dbm range and yours is showing -102dbm, then there is a problem with your phone (back cover, radio firmware, internal hardware, NV corruption). For fun, install Network Signal Info from the Play Store and walk around a bit, go upstairs, downstairs, in the yard, etc.

If all three phones show a similar reading, like within 10-15%, then there is no real issue other than your service in that particular location isn't very good.

This can vary a LOT by location... in our tech building by the garage doors in front I get close to -60dbm, I can see the tower less than a block away, if I go to the back of the building about 150' farther away, the signal strength drops to less than -90dbm.

When it gets right down to it though, all these numbers are irrelevant if your service is working... you can make/receive calls, texts, and use data services then the phone is working.

Rolomoto

Nov 9, 2013
Thanks for a great guide! I just got up to date. I started at step 2b because I was stock at 3.14.605.12 and s-on. Everything came off without a hitch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For this you MUST BE S-OFF FOR DOWNGRADING with a relocked bootloader and make sure you are not on a custom or hex edited hboot or you can brick your device. Also this will reformat sdcards so please backup all your data to pc beforehand.

Part 1: Preparation

How to get S-OFF: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2502814
    Drivers You will need: http://d-h.st/faV and http://d-h.st/D3W
    Fastboot&ADB: http://d-h.st/3x4

Step 1.) If you dont have a fastboot folder set up, download the above Fastboot&ADB file and extract it. Make a folder in C:/ drive and name it Android, then place the extracted folder named Fastboot in there.

Step 2.) Reboot into Bootloader on phone and select fastboot once in fastboot tab on phone then plug it into pc so you get Fastboot USB showing on the phones screen.

Step 3.) On the Computer Open CMD Prompt and cd into the fastboot folder i had you create by typing cd c:/Android/Fastboot and hit enter

Step 4.) Now in CMD Prompt type fastboot oem lock and hit enter.

Your phone Should now be S-off with a locked bootloader please verify beforehand that your bootloader says its locked or relocked and is s-off first and we can now proceed to next step.

Part 2a: The RUU's

Ok for this part you will have to reboot back into bootloader then go to fastboot option. Plug the device in so it says Fastboot USB.

Step 1.) Download the following RUU files from the link below and check the md5's to ensure you have a good download
    RUU.exe's (http://d-h.st/users/REV3NT3CH/?fld_id=27379#files)

RUN THE RUU.exe files AS ADMINISTARTOR

Step 2) The first RUU.exe to run is RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_1.00.605.3_Radio_RS_0.93.00.0914r_3161C1_9K_NV_8k_1.12_9k_1.83_V_APT_release_216261_signed.exe .It will have you checkbox and hit next a few times until it starts the flash. Once done let it fully boot into the rom. Once done you unplug from computer and boot into Bootloader by pulling the battery putting it back in and holding volume down and power. Once it vibrates just release power till it boots to bootloader. Go back into the fastboot option and plug it in so it again says Fastboot USB

Step 3) The second RUU.exe to run is RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_1.02.605.6_Radio_RS_0.95.00.1013r_3161E_9K_NV_8k_1.12_9k_1.83_V_APT_release_221502_signed.exe . Repeat the same process as step 2.

Step 4) The third RUU.exe to run is RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.11_Radio_RS_0.95.00.1123r_3161E_9K_QMR_release_233635_signed.exe . Also repeat same process as step 2.

Step 5) The last and fourth RUU.exe is RUU_VIGOR_ICS_35_S_VERIZON_WWE_3.14.605.12_Radio_RS_1.22.10.0424r_3622A_MR3_9K_release_270509_signed.exe .Once it has finished allow the phone to boot to rom and allow verizon to activate...when done connect as mass storage device.

Part 2b: The PH98IMG OTA zips

Step 1.) Download the following PH98IMG files from the link below and check the md5's to ensure you have a good download
    OTA PH98IMG.zips (http://d-h.st/users/REV3NT3CH/?fld_id=27380#files)

Step 2.) Take the "this 1st PH98IMG.zip" file and place it in the root of your external sdcard and rename it so it looks like PH98IMG.zip. Disconnect phone from pc and reboot to bootloader. Once booted to bootloader it will have a loading bar at the top right. Once it finishes reading it will say Volume Up to update. Press volume up to update the first ota. It will reboot back into bootloader and have you volume up to update again a few times to fully do the update. Once done let it boot to rom and connect to phone as mass storage. Delete the PH98IMG of the external SD card.

Step 3.) Take the "this 2nd PH98IMG.zip" file and place it in the root of your external sdcard and rename it so it looks like PH98IMG.zip. Repeat same steps as step 2. Once this one finishes you are all done with all updates.

I Give Thanks to:
    @IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo for answering all my questions
    @jmz and android filehost for showing the ruu's do exist just not working in the stickied thread
    @Flyhalf205 for posting some of the original OTA zip files
    @All you guys for being so kind and patient with me
    If i need to mention and give thanks to anyone else pm me and ill fix it

I'm pretty sure that answers my question, but looking back I see how I worded it poorly. It's my wife's Rezound and a Verizon phone but is currently not activated on a Verizon plan (or any carrier). It died a couple weeks ago and I was finally able to revive it, but in the mean time I re-activated her old LG Ally (painful I know!). Will I need to re-activate it to her Verizon plan (effectively de-activating her Ally) for this to work or can I simply connect to WiFi and not re-activate it on Verizon for the updates to complete?

I ask because after bringing it back to life, unlocking with HTCDEV, loading a new recovery and ROM I tried to re-activate it for her but had no phone connectivity so I'm wondering if it won't connect again until I get these issues fixed.

-Edit-

Oh btw, forgot to say thanks for the help and fast reply!!

well if your using verizon on the rez you will need to switch the plan back to that phone...make sure verizon 4g sim is in and that the back cover is on...then activate