Getting Started:Rooting,Bootloader Unlocking,Recovery,Custom ROM installation & more

Search This thread

ChikeD

Jun 11, 2013
Hi, I've a Xperia P, I've unlocked bootloader, rooted it, installed CWM, but when I try to flash a custom ROM of android 4.2+, CWM say that there's an error before the flash.

If I try to flash a ROM 4.0 CWM flash the ROM, but on boot i see only black screen, it doesn't start the OS. Why?

Can someone help me?

Sorry for my english.............

Maybe someone can, if you have bothered to provide a link to the ROMs you have tried to install and explained in details exactly what steps you made to install them.

massimosta

Jun 25, 2013
Milan
Maybe someone can, if you have bothered to provide a link to the ROMs you have tried to install and explained in details exactly what steps you made to install them.

:) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258058 this ROM stay in black screen on boot.

So, this ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448495 didn't flash.

In CWM i do this steps: (the same that i do on N4)

- Wipe cache/dalvik/data
- Wipe system (for totally clean the device)
- Flash
- Wipe cache/dalvik
- Reboot

ChikeD

Jun 11, 2013
:) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258058 this ROM stay in black screen on boot.

So, this ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448495 didn't flash.

In CWM i do this steps: (the same that i do on N4)

- Wipe cache/dalvik/data
- Wipe system (for totally clean the device)
- Flash
- Wipe cache/dalvik
- Reboot

For the rom that did not flash, try to flash the boot.img that is inside the zip with fastboot and then flash.
For the one that stay black, IDK maybe you hould flash one of the kernels there.

Last edited:
Reactions: massimosta

adhawk

Nov 11, 2012
Nice work! really need the info. btw, it could be more helpful if there is steps to flash custom roms, kernels etc besides using cwm recovery such as flashtool. anyway, thanks and thumbs up to you! :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

a29_29a

Jan 9, 2014
very useful thanks

Bootloader Unlocking.

What is bootloader:

The bootloader, is firmware on the phone which runs on every startup. Sometimes it may be desirable to change the version of the bootloader, or to load a different bootloader entirely to enable different features or a completely different OS. The current version of the bootloader can be viewed by entering bootloader mode, the process of which is different for each and every device or manufacturer. - XDA - University.

How to unlock the bootloader:

Before unlocking bootloader:

• Install Flashtool drivers,it will contain all necessary driver including fastboot driver and flashmode drivers.
  • Remeber,your warranty will be void.
  • DRM Keys will be lost forever.

Bootloader Relocking

very useful thanks

jaboneros

Apr 11, 2014
I can't get in recovery when booting (XPERIA GO)

Noob here. I'm using Xperia Go, and trying to install CM11 on my phone, I get stuck with the step to boot into recovery.

I've tried pressing volume buttons when phone is booting, nothing works. Very frustrating, hope you can help.

Installing CWM Recovery​

How to access recovery:

By pressing volume buttons when phone is boot logo is show i.e when booting

ChikeD

Jun 11, 2013
Noob here. I'm using Xperia Go, and trying to install CM11 on my phone, I get stuck with the step to boot into recovery.

I've tried pressing volume buttons when phone is booting, nothing works. Very frustrating, hope you can help.

s your bootloader unlocked and you have flashed boot.img from the ROM zip file?
If you did, press power instead volume up/down.

jaboneros

Apr 11, 2014
s your bootloader unlocked and you have flashed boot.img from the ROM zip file?
If you did, press power instead volume up/down.

yes my bootloader was unlocked and I flashed the boot.img from the ROM zip file already. When I press power, the display lights up but no other activity, like the phone is in a boot loop..

ChikeD

Jun 11, 2013
yes my bootloader was unlocked and I flashed the boot.img from the ROM zip file already. When I press power, the display lights up but no other activity, like the phone is in a boot loop..

Don't expect your phone to boot with this kernel, it won't.
I meant use the power button in the same manner you supposed to use the volume button, spam it every second after you power up.

jaboneros

Apr 11, 2014
Don't expect your phone to boot with this kernel, it won't.
I meant use the power button in the same manner you supposed to use the volume button, spam it every second after you power up.

after flashing the boot.img, I tried doing your advise, repeatedly pressing power button during boot-up. Still nothing.
Then I tried
Code:
adb reboot recovery
, same result - I just get a blank screen.

jaboneros

Apr 11, 2014
It's weird you cannot enter recovery but still have adb.
Maybe formating/erasing date/system with fastboot will help enter recovery.

I've done so many flashing back to official Sony ROM after boot loops because of my failed attempts in CM11...

For flashing CM11, do I need CWM or TWRP installed on my phone before I can boot into recovery? Or just using adb via computer should work?

I was just following the steps of that thread, and there was no mention needing to have custom recovery, so I assume when it was time to boot into recovery it would be so easy. I just want KitKat on my phone so badly :(

Thanks for your help, truly grateful to this forum - I'm learning a lot!

ChikeD

Jun 11, 2013
I've done so many flashing back to official Sony ROM after boot loops because of my failed attempts in CM11...

For flashing CM11, do I need CWM or TWRP installed on my phone before I can boot into recovery? Or just using adb via computer should work?

I was just following the steps of that thread, and there was no mention needing to have custom recovery, so I assume when it was time to boot into recovery it would be so easy. I just want KitKat on my phone so badly :(

Thanks for your help, truly grateful to this forum - I'm learning a lot!

The CWM is built into the kernel in boot.img that comes in the ROM zip file.
You may try to use another CWM that is built in custom kernels, or one for unlocked bootloader, but it might not have the props that are checked in installation and it will fail..
The few times I couldn't boot into recovery (after NANDROID restore) erasing data/system with fastboot enabled me to do so.
Flashing jus the kernel after flashing boot.omg, if you didn't make it into CWM and erased/formated anything should bring your phone back to live, no need to re-flash the whole system.

jaboneros

Apr 11, 2014
The CWM is built into the kernel in boot.img that comes in the ROM zip file.
You may try to use another CWM that is built in custom kernels, or one for unlocked bootloader, but it might not have the props that are checked in installation and it will fail..
The few times I couldn't boot into recovery (after NANDROID restore) erasing data/system with fastboot enabled me to do so.
Flashing jus the kernel after flashing boot.omg, if you didn't make it into CWM and erased/formated anything should bring your phone back to live, no need to re-flash the whole system.

I got a better tutorial from another Xperia Go custom ROM (Omni) saying how to boot into recovery:
5. Unplug your device, then turn on the device. SONY logo should be appearing followed by multicoloured LED and vibration. After the vibration, push volume up to enter recovery

That didn't get me anywhere, either

Kaatiee9

Apr 18, 2014
Problem with CM 11

Hello, I have a problem and I need advice. I have Sony xperia Sola. I have a new version of CyanogenMod and last week I download this new firmware from XDA forum http://xdaforums.com/xperia-u/sola-development/rom-unofficial-cyanogenmod-11-0-t2627210.
I have downloaded this firmware and I recorded into the phone via fastboot file boot.img. I disconnected my phone and I started it.
I press the volume - button.

I move by this manual:
1 Download the zip(s).
2 Extract boot.img and flash via Fastboot
3 Boot into recovery
4 Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
5 Full wipe[data, cache, format system].
6 Flash CyanogenMod Rom Zip.
7 Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.
8 Reboot.
but I finish at number 3, the recovery mode didn't go (I didnť get into recovery menu)

I tried to record the old boot.img into the phone but it did not respond. However much I try to start it, does not respond. It is not charged on the charger or turn on...The biggest problem is, that my phone did not connected with PC and it is impossible activate fastboot mode. Please advice how to start and fix my phone! I'm apologize for my english! Thank you for your advice!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Getting Started:Rooting,Bootloader Unlocking,Recovery,Custom ROM installation & more

Getting Started:Rooting,Bootloader Unlocking and Recovery

In this thread ,I'll try to help you guys set up your new phone from rooting upto custom ROM installation for your Xperia U,P,Sola and Go.

It is still WORK IN PROGRESS,so hold on to your horses.:)

References:

Installing CWM Recovery​

Why do we need CWM:

ClockworkMod offers Android users with an extensive list of functionalities which the default Android recovery cannot even hope to match. Using ClockworkMod, one can install, update, or upgrade both official and unofficial ROMs (known as ‘custom’ ROMs). It also enables advanced recovery and backup methods, and one can mount the USB storage to transfer files between the device and a PC while remaining in the recovery mode (very helpful for if you have a bricked device and can’t boot into Android or if you simply don’t want to do another reboot to transfer a file you forgot). Partitioning the SD card and wiping user data, dalvik cache, and battery stats are some other capabilities of ClockworkMod.

-dottech.org

Installation:

It can done in 2 ways

• Installing kernel with recovery
    • Installing standalone CWM.

Installing a kernel with recovery:

• For this you will need unlocked bootloader.
    • If you go through your respective device's development section,you will get the kernel with recoveries.

Installing a standalone CWM.

How to access recovery:

By pressing volume buttons when phone is boot logo is show i.e when booting
    Flashing FTF file.

• Assuming you have installed latest Flash tool and Flash tool drivers.

• Open the Flash tool.

• Click on the flash button i.e the red marked one.

ftf1.png

• Choose Flash mode and Click OK.

ftf2.png

• Then you will get below show window,by default directory will be Flashtool/firmwares.If there is are ftf files in that directory it will automatically show them and you have to select it.If there is no ftf file in Flashtool/firmawares folder,then do the next step.

ftf3.png

• Click on .... i.e red marked then you will get the "Choose a folder window".Browse to the folder containing ftf file.Click Open.

ftf4.png

• Now connect your device to PC in flash mode.

ftf5.png

• That's it.
    Flashmode:

Used for flashing stock ftf files.i.e for recovering from soft brick or updating to latest firmware etc.

How to connect in flash mode:

Hold - volume button and connect the data cable to PC.

Fastboot mode:

Used for unlocking bootloader,flashing kernels etc.

How to connect in fastboot mode:

Hold + volume button and connect the data cable to PC.
    Rooting

Rooting​

What is Rooting:

Android rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. - Wikipedia​

Before Rooting:

• Bootloader unlocking is not necessesary for rooting.
    • After rooting ,your warranty maybe void!.
    • Rooting is reversible process so you can unroot.

How to root:

• If you are on firmware 6.1.1.B.1.10[U,P,Go and Sola]:

• You can root easily using Root MANY ANDROID

• Download v9 or v13,extract it.
        • Enable USB debugging mode on your phone.
        • Connect your phone to PC.
        • Double click on RunMe.bat.
        • Then type 1.Press Enter.

You should get

Checking if i should run in Normal Mode or special Sony Mode
          Please connect your device with USB-Debugging enabled now
          1186 KB/s (147059 bytes in 0.121s)

Found Sony Backup-Restore.apk
          LT26,LT22 etc. mode enabled!

Pushing busybox....
          2110 KB/s (1085140 bytes in 0.502s)
          Pushing su binary ....
          2426 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.009s)
          Pushing Superuser app
          3096 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.266s)
          Making busybox runable ...
          Pushing fake Backup
          3130 KB/s (73728 bytes in 0.023s)
          Extracting fakebackup on device ...
          Watch now your device. Select the backup named RootMe and restore it!
          Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] cmp=com.sonyericsson.vendor.backuprestore/.ui.BackupActivity }
          Warning: Activity not started, its current task has been brought to the front
          If all is successful i will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
          Running ......​
        • Then Click on Restore on your phone.(if Back up and Restore app is not opened,open it),see if RootMe is selected in Record to restore,)

Then you should get

Good, it worked! Now we are rebooting soon, please be patient!
        Waiting for device to come up again....
        Going to copy files to it's place
        You can close all open command-prompts now!
        After reboot all is done! Have fun!
        Bin4ry
        Press any key to continue . . .​

or

• Using latest Flashtool ,here is a nice tutorial for rooting.

• If you are on latest firmware then you will need to do few extra steps.