[Q] Power button unresponsive in bootloader/fastboot

Search This thread

murc585

Mar 21, 2010
I just bought a Nexus 5 today and I wanted to root it as soon as possible primarily to disable those pesky ads in Youtube. I have been following guide after guide to get this working, but I keep getting stuck when trying to unlock the bootloader.

Just as a side note, I have tried this on two different computers and have been using the official newest SDK files for adb/fastboot tools and for google drivers.

I have enabled usb debugging and I can use both "adb devices" when the Nexus is on and "fastboot devices" in FASTBOOT MODE with success so I don`t think I have a driver issue.

Basically I got phone, 4.4 was installed, and then I did the update to 4.4.2 before trying to unlock the bootloader.

When I put the phone into fastboot mode, I can scroll though different commands, such as "power off", "start"... with the volume buttons, but when I press the power button, nothing happens. Then when I connect the device to my computer and type "fastboot oem unlock" into the command prompt, I am greeted with the option to unlock the bootloader and I can scroll through yes or on, but again, when I press the power button, nothing happens. I have tried clicking it multiple times as well, and when I hold it for a about 10 seconds, the device powers off, still locked.

Like I said, i don;t believe this is a driver issue, because even when the phone is not plugged in, I can`t select those options at the fastboot screen.

Would any of you have any advice for me, perhaps I`m missing something?

murc585

Mar 21, 2010
I tried charging the phone completely, figured maybe it wouldn`t work because the battery charge was too low. Still doesn't work, I can`t even get into recovery mode.

Think I may have a dud? I don't know what do to, I can't really say I want to return the phone because it won't go into recovery mode or because I can't unlock the bootloader...

Am I the only one?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Accessing recovery is a standard feature of the device and in itself has nothing to so with rooting or unlocking bootloaders so you can definitely use this as reasoning.

I assume you used vol down + power to get into bootloader. What if you vol up + vol down + power to bootloader?

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
What if you fastboot flashed just the bootloader from the factory image. Maybe something is messed up with it where it doesn't recognize the power button. Just an idea a I've never seen this issue before.

murc585

Mar 21, 2010
Thank you for the replies, I have tried both volume down+ power and both volume keys and power. As I read somewhere else, it`s like it keeps two bootloaders, one for 4.4 and the other 4.4.2. Both do not respond to the power button input.

Would I be able to flash over the bootloader without unlocking it?

If I do decide to return it and they ask me why I need to access recovery (I galled google support last night and they told me they wouldn't support me when it comes to the bootloader, he also didn't understand what I was asking him), for which reason would I need to access recovery?

This is a replacement phone to my old GS3 which broke. I had a Best Buy replacement plan, so that's how I got the nexus 5. I'm almost tempted to bring it back for a GS4, with Samsung it was easy to flash over the whole phone with odin, without these bootlocker unlocker steps.

If I can flash over the bootloader without unlocking it, how would I do so?

I really do appreciate all your help with this, I love the phone otherwise but I'd like to have the option to root.

EDIT: found these steps, but the post assumes the phone already has an unlocked bootloader, but doesn't mention that it is necessary:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-HHZ11d.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-M8974A-1.0.25.0.17.img
fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip

I gues there is one way to find out...

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Read a lot before you decide on the s4. The boot loader is locked and you are extremely limited to what and how you can flash roms. I would not recommend the s4, my opinion.

And I spaced out the fact you can't unlock the bootloader. That's a problem.

murc585

Mar 21, 2010
I tried the above steps to flash the bootloader, it won't let me do it since the device is locked...

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Just rma it. Tell them it cannot enter recovery from bootloader which is essential to factory reset the device in the Case it doesn't boot.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Reactions: jd1639

murc585

Mar 21, 2010
Ok, I did "adb devices", I see my device and the word "device" after. When I try the "adb reboot recovery" command nothing happens.

Edit:I got the no command window finally, pressed the volume yet, the menu showed up, I was able to flash the cache and do a data wipe. I will try the bootloader now

Edit 2: after data wipe and cache format from recovery, bootloader still does not recognise power button, can i flash anything from recovery?

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
There is clearly an issue. Please rma

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just rma it. Tell them it cannot enter recovery from bootloader which is essential to factory reset the device in the Case it doesn't boot.

-----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.