Problems with MicroSD card

Search This thread

Kreuger

Hey guys, I've been having problems with my memory card lately. The one that came with the phone got damaged (due to me putting it into my card reader backwards) so I got a new one from Walmart. Since then I've had a lot of trouble. It worked ok for a day or two then at work one day I took it out of my locker and it said "bad removal". The card wasn't touched, it was just sitting in my locker. It has happened again a few times. I can temporarily fix it by reseating the card in the slot but it comes back. Now that doesn't even work. It just comes up saying I don't have a card. I've ruined my otterbox case trying to get this working (it won't grip the phone anymore because I've removed it so many times) and I'm very annoyed. I figured I'd ask if anyone has any idea what could be wrong before I go back to Bell with it. By the way, the phone is stock Android 2.2

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Mod please move?

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
What brand of card did you get? Some cheap cards are notorious failing long before their time.

Maybe its defective. If its still pretty new, try to exchange it.

The other issue is that maybe you damaged the card tray when you inserted the card backwards.

IngoPan

Jan 11, 2011
This really sounds like you got some b-ware. You should return it to your dealer.

Kreuger

Kreuger

Well I went into Bell and they suggested I try another card so they got one of theirs and it worked fine. It's been okay so far so I guess I'll have to keep it. Only problem is I got a 4gb instead of the 8gb from Walmart for the same price. They wanted another 20 for the 8gb. The guy wasn't totally sure what it was but he assumed it was that their cards have been tested with each phone to ensure they work whereas the otehr is just a generic card. And he mentioned something about it being class 6, whatever that is.

takram

Nov 3, 2010
My G2 has been experiencing SD card issues for a month or two now. I've been exclusively on CM7 nightlies, but since nobody else seems to have had this issue, I assumed it was me. Usually when using something that accessed my SD card, the phone would "unexpectedly" remove itself. Sometimes a reboot would mount my card again (can't mount through settings), but oftentimes I'd have to wait it out and reboot after a few days/reboot 20 times in hopes that it'd read it. I would re-set my SD card in the slot several times, but it doesn't do anything.

I'm still at the mercy of it and am contemplating unrooting my device to bring it in for warranty because it is a very big issue that is crippling my phone. I purchased a new SD card, but the problems still persist. Multiple data wipes/rom changes have occured as well as formatting said cards, but it's all the same.

Right now I just flashed CM7 stable (card was working [it plays funny, but if I try to use the camera, it usually dies]), and I hope that my card issues are gone, but I am fairly confident it's a hardware issue.