[PATCH] Get back your PINK screen!

Search This thread

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
In the newer official ROMs, Huawei included a "feature" to lock the bootloader and therefore, get less bricks. But happened the opposite - if your cust partition gets corrupted/deleted, you'll have a high change of bricking your device.

The new bootloader is not actually locked, it's changed to use QPST (Qualcomm Product & Support Tools). As it needs a code, we can't use it.

This method flashes the B518 bootloader straight to your phone, so you will get back USB.

Apply only if you have upgraded your phone to B522 or newer. You may have a custom ROM on top, but the base has to be B522 or newer.
Tested by myself on B522, B526 & B528.

The steps required to get back pink/blue screen USB:

Automatic flashable zip is pretty much fail proof, but I have warned you.
Automatic method (recommended):
  1. Download update-B518-bootloader.zip from MediaFire.
  2. Save it to the root of your SD Card.
  3. Start the phone in recovery mode (recommended recovery is 5.5.0.4)
  4. Select "install zip from sdcard"
  5. Select "chooze zip from sdcard"
  6. Select the zip you downloaded before.
  7. Select yes.
  8. Reboot and enjoy!
NB! Be careful when doing this manually, one wrong move and your phone might get bricked.
Manual method (not recommended):
  1. Download the bootloader.bin (B518) from MediaFire.
  2. Copy it to the root of your SD card.
  3. Use a Terminal Emulator if on phone or start ADB and write in "adb shell".
  4. Write in "su" to get root rights.
  5. Write in "dd if=/sdcard/bootloader.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3" to copy the bootloader.bin from SD card to the bootloader partition.
  6. All done!

Protip: When using Linux distribution, pink screen mounts your internal SD card, data, cache and system partitions. This happens because Windows does not mount extX partitions by default.

I suggest everyone to do this as long as you have rooted your phone and want to flash custom ROMs/kernels.
Now you can recreate your backups with this tutorial.

Special thanks to dancer_69, who sent me B518 bootloader.

Last edited:

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
Thank you. This is going to be useful.
Was this the more important thing than rom? :D

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
As requested

moved to Development

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
Used the zip file method... yes, pink screen supports usb again, but phone now boot-loops and I can't access recovery anymore. Will try to flash Stock Rom again :S ****! Will report if really bricked :(

EDIT: can't flash ROM anymore, and can't access recovery... I guess I'm pretty much screwed... can someone post the latest bootloader from huawei (the locked one)? I still don't know how i'm going to installed it since I can only access the pink screen and nothing more... It's really bricked isn't it? :(

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Also, my partition scheme is showing like this (I don't know how it was before). Is this normal?

http://i.imgur.com/Z3lhg.png

Last edited:

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
Used the zip file method... yes, pink screen supports usb again, but phone now boot-loops and I can't access recovery anymore. Will try to flash Stock Rom again :S ****! Will report if really bricked :(

EDIT: can't flash ROM anymore, and can't access recovery... I guess I'm pretty much screwed... can someone post the latest bootloader from huawei (the locked one)? I still don't know how i'm going to installed it since I can only access the pink screen and nothing more... It's really bricked isn't it? :(

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Also, my partition scheme is showing like this (I don't know how it was before). Is this normal?

http://i.imgur.com/Z3lhg.png

Its not bricked, relax. Someone else will help you, I can't help via phone.

What recovery did you flash it on? I tried it several times and it worked fine. But in your case, I believe the partitions got messed up, not sure how. And when you remove battery, reinsert it after 10 secs, then try to start recovery.

Sent from my U8800

Reactions: magnostik

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
I've flashed with "official" 5.0.2.6... I know, I know, the firs post states 5.5.0.4, but i got dumb somehow... even worse, I have previously customized my partitions to have more internal space via one of those scripts that are available on the site, so maybe that was the problem.

At this point I'm installing stock rom via dload method.

It wouldn't install before, when dload folder was in the sdcard (Windows wouldn't mount phone's internal memory in pink mode, but luckily, ubuntu mounted the all the internal partitions correctly, so i copied the dload folder to the internal memory and is now in the installing phase... will report if that worked..

I guess I should have firs install recovery 5.5.0.4 in the pink screen and then try to access it, but my brain is all messed up at this moment...

bye bye, saturday night out with friends :S

EDIT: install of stock ROM (BTW, back to 2.2) completed, phone is restarting, lets see...

EDIT 1: formatting data... :D I guess it's working... lol
EDIT 2: new restart
EDIT 3: Successfully booted into ROM!!!
EDIT 3: In the process of installing and trying to access recovery

Last edited:

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
I still don't understand the conflict. The partition table should be then fine, if you modified it before the flash. Did you have fast boot on?

I am happy you got it fixed :)

Sent from my U8800

Last edited:
Reactions: magnostik

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
I still don't understand the conflict. The partition table should be then fine, if you modified it before the flash. Did you have fast boot on?

I am happy you got it fixed :)

Sent from my U8800

No, It was off... Everything is fine now... uff, what a relief! Glad I was easier than I thought it would be ;D

EDIT: partition table seems to be fine in Ubuntu, I guess Windows or that particular partition program wasn't reporting partitions correctly...

Out with friends now :D

Last edited:

salah_heart

Mar 10, 2010
CAIRO
thanks

i flashed after this the mobile never boot

i have froyo 2.2.1 and the computer never see or even read my mobile
now i have the pink screen but also usb never recognize or even give me alert

what i have to do (software or hardware proplem)

thanks

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
thanks

i flashed after this the mobile never boot

i have froyo 2.2.1 and the computer never see or even read my mobile
now i have the pink screen but also usb never recognize or even give me alert

what i have to do (software or hardware proplem)

thanks

Mine also wouldn't boot, but pink screen successfully made usb storage work. Try pink screen in ubuntu and see if it mounts your partitions. Then install stock rom again with dload folder method (copied to internal memory), that worked for me...

swayjd

Aug 10, 2011
Dublin
good job 1st of all, 2 things though,

I've been wondering, .35 kernel ROMs all seem to have the same problem, phone reboots when waking up with wifi on. This is a problem in either miui, CM7 and also, official.

Which leads me to conclude that this is kernel related and probably won't be fixed until someone, (hopefully Franco) picks the kernel up for a revamp.

Are my assumptions correct?

Also, if someone is to use custom ROMs does it make any difference if we upgrade to latest official or straight from beta 1?

salah_heart

Mar 10, 2010
CAIRO
Mine also wouldn't boot, but pink screen successfully made usb storage work. Try pink screen in ubuntu and see if it mounts your partitions. Then install stock rom again with dload folder method (copied to internal memory), that worked for me...

after i did and flashed 2.3.5 b522 but yet never my computer see my mobile
please could you make it step by step for me

i have u8800H

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
2.2 has pink screen already unlocked, so that has nothing to do with this. This is for flashing only if you have a locked bootloader, which is the B522 ROM.
I am creating an app to backup your phone fully even if it is turned on. That way there is a chance to restore the phone if something brakes during the process.

Sent from my U8800

izzoe

Jun 21, 2011
2.2 has pink screen already unlocked, so that has nothing to do with this. This is for flashing only if you have a locked bootloader, which is the B522 ROM.
I am creating an app to backup your phone fully even if it is turned on. That way there is a chance to restore the phone if something brakes during the process.

Sent from my U8800

U sir, deserve a lot of thanks for this.. I've been holding back to flash the new 2.3 ROM because its locked bootloader.. With pink screen back, flashing roms it back to getting less risky now.. TQ~!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the newer official ROMs, Huawei included a "feature" to lock the bootloader and therefore, get less bricks. But happened the opposite - if your cust partition gets corrupted/deleted, you'll have a high change of bricking your device.

The new bootloader is not actually locked, it's changed to use QPST (Qualcomm Product & Support Tools). As it needs a code, we can't use it.

This method flashes the B518 bootloader straight to your phone, so you will get back USB.

Apply only if you have upgraded your phone to B522 or newer. You may have a custom ROM on top, but the base has to be B522 or newer.
    Tested by myself on B522, B526 & B528.

The steps required to get back pink/blue screen USB:

Automatic flashable zip is pretty much fail proof, but I have warned you.
    Automatic method (recommended):
    1. Download update-B518-bootloader.zip from MediaFire.
    2. Save it to the root of your SD Card.
    3. Start the phone in recovery mode (recommended recovery is 5.5.0.4)
    4. Select "install zip from sdcard"
    5. Select "chooze zip from sdcard"
    6. Select the zip you downloaded before.
    7. Select yes.
    8. Reboot and enjoy!
    NB! Be careful when doing this manually, one wrong move and your phone might get bricked.
    Manual method (not recommended):
    1. Download the bootloader.bin (B518) from MediaFire.
    2. Copy it to the root of your SD card.
    3. Use a Terminal Emulator if on phone or start ADB and write in "adb shell".
    4. Write in "su" to get root rights.
    5. Write in "dd if=/sdcard/bootloader.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3" to copy the bootloader.bin from SD card to the bootloader partition.
    6. All done!

Protip: When using Linux distribution, pink screen mounts your internal SD card, data, cache and system partitions. This happens because Windows does not mount extX partitions by default.

I suggest everyone to do this as long as you have rooted your phone and want to flash custom ROMs/kernels.
    Now you can recreate your backups with this tutorial.

Special thanks to dancer_69, who sent me B518 bootloader.
    Wow!the big secret!:)

Sent from my u8800
    Nope, but for the information, it's going to be an app named X5Toolbox, and from there you can flash recoveries, boot images, bootloaders, perhaps even AMSS, restore and backup IMEI etc.
    Hey, how is doing X5ToolBox? ;)

Sent from my Ideos X5

Some progress made, I have to work on the user interface. I'm not used to mobile app programming (especially the graphical part). First beta should be available within ~2 weeks.

Sent from my U8800
    This is a Big step! Blefish and dancer_69 thank you for this.