Best ROM for battery life? Please help

Search This thread

sailio

Jul 25, 2010
As you can tell from the topic but I'm looking for the best battery life for my thunderbolt. I don't use it as often as my Evo3D, but i can't even get a day even if i let it idle all day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

sailio

Jul 25, 2010
Currently using liquid 3.2 but i just can't get it to last... I've underclocked it to 800mhz max

collije

Apr 14, 2011
The kernal will likely mean the most for battery life. Well, besides your personal usage habits and if your location has a strong signal (or just keep on 3g for normal use, as LTE currently is a battery hog).

Imo's or BAMF's Test 3++ I've tried and get 18+ hours on my Tbolt. ASOP roms seem to have the absolute longest possible battery life from what I've read, but I'm a Sense guy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

collije

Apr 14, 2011
Oh & get the Rezound battery. The above Kernals & that battery FTW.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Classicmm

Oct 22, 2011
SoCal
X2 on what Collije has said. If your running IMO's kernel, have you tried switching to battery saver mode? I'm on Rezound battery (bumped n calibrated) 12hours @ 30% with med use.

Tapatalkn with my Thunderbolt

sailio

Jul 25, 2010
Just sits in my locker at work in airplane mode and its just about dead after 8 hours

collije

Apr 14, 2011
Oops, haven't been back here in awhile :)

Hmm, airplane mode & dies in 8 hours. Yup sounds about right. Although if it sits all day in the locker in airplane mode might as well shut it off imo.

That said, root (if not already) and just give a ROM a try. If you like Sense, give Team BAMF's BAMF Forever specifically I recommend 1.11 version (this has BAMF's Test 3++ kernal already baked in) which you can get directly in the original post on their own website (no linking here). Once installed, I recommend a couple of extra steps within "BAMF settings":

CPU governor: Try OnDemand vs SmoothAss
I/O Scheduler: Try Noop.

Be sure to battery condition & wipe battery stats(yeah yeah, some folks will debunk. Whateva). On BAMF's site has the most comprehensive method imo. It takes about 2 - 3 full cycles to fully charge then fully empty, but many folks are at least doubling what you currently have.

Last edited:

Ryanmo5

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 20, 2008
Goodyear
I've been running Skyraider Zeus rom on bamf's site and its been amazing as far as battery life goes, running stock kernel. Oh and get the rezound battery the difference is amazing!

collije

Apr 14, 2011
I like Skyraider as well, amazing customization choices. I'd love to see a refresh (cough...hint...cough).

And something to be said for the Rezound battery. It really does exceed expectations for not a huge extended battery.

Actually, give the battery a try 1st. Spend a twenty methinks you'll like it once calibrated & you've gone through a few full charge/empty cycles to build new battery stats.

sailio

Jul 25, 2010
Thanks everybody for your advise I'll try those roms out, i leave it on to test standby time is all.

Nitrox1995

Mar 7, 2012
You only need an apk like set cpu and you can reduce the speed of you thuderbolt and with that you cpu dont use so many battery

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

teddyastuffed

Aug 16, 2010
Laguna Hills, CA
14hrs, 40mins stock battery and sitting at 34% with low-medium usage on workshed's thundershed. i only have 2 widgets running tho, not much going on at all and im running freqs of 184/768 and interactivex gov with his native kernal. i never notice any lag or slowdown and love the smaller form factor of the phone again (used to extended battery for a while and couldnt take the huge/heavy phone anymore, kinda feel like i wasted my money on it lol).

yesterday with heavy usage for me it died after something like 12-13 hours with at least 30 minutes of navigation and 4g all day long. and again same stock battery with same settings. only rom ive been able to do that with stock rom. and actually i havent even calibrated or bumped yet, been meaning to but i get lazy by end of day :D

BUT for the record, i have heard that people have been getting some great life with eternity rom. try to convince myself to try it again but im stuck on worksheds stuff right now with all its ics themeing (i was a long time eris user -_- i love his work :D)

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

o ya, and the 14hrs 40mins was with like 11hrs on 4g the rest on wifi

_highway_

May 15, 2011
14hrs, 40mins stock battery and sitting at 34% with low-medium usage on workshed's thundershed. i only have 2 widgets running tho, not much going on at all and im running freqs of 184/768 and interactivex gov with his native kernal. i never notice any lag or slowdown and love the smaller form factor of the phone again (used to extended battery for a while and couldnt take the huge/heavy phone anymore, kinda feel like i wasted my money on it lol).

yesterday with heavy usage for me it died after something like 12-13 hours with at least 30 minutes of navigation and 4g all day long. and again same stock battery with same settings. only rom ive been able to do that with stock rom. and actually i havent even calibrated or bumped yet, been meaning to but i get lazy by end of day :D

BUT for the record, i have heard that people have been getting some great life with eternity rom. try to convince myself to try it again but im stuck on worksheds stuff right now with all its ics themeing (i was a long time eris user -_- i love his work :D)

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

o ya, and the 14hrs 40mins was with like 11hrs on 4g the rest on wifi

I think the best thing to do is use some kind of AOSP ROM -- liquid v3.2 works well for me, feel free to use whichever one you want -- but I think that a slim AOSP will work wonders.

Also, like the above user said, get SetCPU for $2 from market to work with the (probable) IMO kernel of your custom rom, and use the profiles option to run something like:

1024/245 -- main OR
768/245 -- main

AND

battery < n% -- 768/245
screen off -- 384/245

this way, when your screen is off, listening to music or idle, it wont ever go above 384 mHz, and if you just want to underclock, you could run 768 max / 245 min all of the time and not really see a performance drop.

these lower profiles should really help extend battery life

sailio

Jul 25, 2010
I have that and it is underclocked running liquid 3.2. My evo3d is getting 50+ hours running meanrom 2.0 without Modding CPU in any way.

Got a new battery and its the same life. Wiped everything even formatted system before any new rom

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Last edited:

_highway_

May 15, 2011
I have that and it is underclocked running liquid 3.2. My evo3d is getting 50+ hours running meanrom 2.0 without Modding CPU in any way.

Got a new battery and its the same life. Wiped everything even formatted system before any new rom

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

i don't think the thunderbolt will ever get 50 hrs on a stock battery, especially with 4g running . . . you might be able to get into the second day with the oem extended and 3g