Mod to remove Navigation Bar (navbar) on Droid Razr HD

Search This thread

ajal

Jul 30, 2007
This issue has been important for me since I purchased my Verizon Droid Razr HD Maxx (consumer edition). I wanted to be able to remove the navbar on the bottom of the screen and take advantage of the full screen. Apparently AOKP roms have this capability and you can toggle via power button menu, but there is no AOKP version available for Razr HD. I tried all the mods I could find in the forums (generally written for Nexus phones/tablets). These are the following:

1. Adding the following line to build.prop: "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" (without quotes). I tried this on the rooted stock JB rom and on Batakang rom. In both cases, the mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages.

2. Editing the framework-res\res\values\bools.xml and changing the value of ”config_showNavigationBar” from "true" to "false". This is discussed in detail in the following link: http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/make-your-galaxy-nexus-full-screen/ I did not try this mod on rooted stock JB (since I made a flashable zip out of my new framework-res.apk and safestrap won't allow zip installation in the stock slot). I tried this mod only on the Batakang rom. The mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages, similar to previous mod.

3. In retrospect, I wonder what would have happened if I tried both mods listed above at the same time. It may have worked. I may try this later. But then I installed CM10 beta rom by dhacker and tried the FullScreenToggleV2.apk mod provided in this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497558 This worked like a charm, without any crashes or any disruption of the status bar. This apk inserts the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" line in your build.prop (the same as mod #1 listed above) but it's easier since you don't have to manually edit your build.prop. I tried this mod on rooted stock JB rom and Batakang rom, but it had the same (failed) results as in mod #1 above. So it only works for CM10 rom by dhacker on my XT926. I suspect it will also work in CM10 on XT925 (by epinter) but I don't have one to try.

Ideally there would be a mod that would work on the rooted stock JB rom. But short of that, at least it's reassuring that the Razr HD navbar can be removed in the CM10 rom. One could hope it may even be added as a CM10 feature later on ;)

*** Important Note: if you attempt this, obviously you would need another way to navigate through your screens. I use LMT listed under mod #3 link above. There are other options available also. Just make sure to install some app that provides an alternative method of navigation before you try the mod.

Good luck!

Last edited:

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
This issue has been important for me since I purchased my Verizon Droid Razr HD Maxx (consumer edition). I wanted to be able to remove the navbar on the bottom of the screen and take advantage of the full screen. Apparently AOKP roms have this capability and you can toggle via power button menu, but there is no AOKP version available for Razr HD. I tried all the mods I could find in the forums (generally written for Nexus phones/tablets).

Ideally there would be a mod that would work on the rooted stock JB rom. But short of that, at least it's reassuring that the navbar can be removed in the CM10 rom. One could hope it may even be added as a CM10 feature later on :)

*** Important Note: if you attempt this, obviously you would need another way to navigate through your screens. I use LMT listed under mod #2 above. There are other options available also. Just make sure to install some app that provides an alternative method of navigation before you try the mod.

Good luck!

Hello, thank you very much for this. I've been looking for something like this. I guess my search ways are not the best.

About LMT, what devise did you choose? I chose Droid Razr, but I can't get the swipe gestures to work.

But I'm using swipepad for navigation, so no problem going from one app to the other. The problem I still need to solve is the menu key to show.

Anyway, thank you very much.

ajal

Jul 30, 2007
I use the PIE feature in LMT and don't pick any device (I guess it just goes with default). It just works. Haven't tried gestures since it typically needs two handed phone operation. Not sure what your menu button problem is but the PIE feature has a menu button as well.

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
Thank you for your answer. I will use Pie then.

I was using the Tablet UI, just so I can have more screen space, but as a result, most of my fonts were really small. Now I can go back to 320 dpi.

Thank you again.

manuski

Sep 7, 2010
Is it easy to disable as well?. Like if i tried it on cm10 and i wasn't liking it can i just uninstall it or factory reset or flash cm10 over again?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ajal

Jul 30, 2007
Yes. It's very easy to bring the navbar back. You don't need to factory reset or flash CM10 over again. If you use the app in mod#3 above, the app has a button to re-enable the navbar (remember, don't uninstall the app, just run it again and choose the other button). Or you could edit your build.prop and remove the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" line (reverse of mod #1 above, as mod #1 should work in CM10, and the app seems to do the same thing as mod #1). I think it also works if you change the value of "qemu.hw.mainkeys" to 0 instead of 1. You just have to reboot every time to see the changes.

shadowdrag96

Jul 12, 2011
did anyone get this to work on another rom i tried the build.prop edit but did the same as what OP said

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
I use the LMT and the Full screen toggle with Cm 10.1 with great success. No problem so far. Just be careful to have access to LMT all the time.

Pzyduck

Nov 8, 2010
La Rioja
uploadfromtaptalk1360614488907.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360614504133.jpg

Enviado desde mi Motorola RAZR HD usando Tapatalk 2

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
I'm having system ui crash constantly on stock. Anybody found a way that works on stock?
@Pzyduck : how'd you do that :D

Sent from my XT925

Last edited:

rockstarr001

Dec 8, 2012
My system UI on stock crashed as well, but my CM 10 works great. Bump for a rooted stock solution if available. But until then it's awesome that there is at least one working navbar mod out there :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Calvinx1

Jan 31, 2011
Remove NavBar But use Task Bar with no FC or issues.

This issue has been important for me since I purchased my Verizon Droid Razr HD Maxx (consumer edition). I wanted to be able to remove the navbar on the bottom of the screen and take advantage of the full screen. Apparently AOKP roms have this capability and you can toggle via power button menu, but there is no AOKP version available for Razr HD. I tried all the mods I could find in the forums (generally written for Nexus phones/tablets). These are the following:

1. Adding the following line to build.prop: "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" (without quotes). I tried this on the rooted stock JB rom and on Batakang rom. In both cases, the mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages.

2. Editing the framework-res\res\values\bools.xml and changing the value of ”config_showNavigationBar” from "true" to "false". This is discussed in detail in the following link: http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/make-your-galaxy-nexus-full-screen/ I did not try this mod on rooted stock JB (since I made a flashable zip out of my new framework-res.apk and safestrap won't allow zip installation in the stock slot). I tried this mod only on the Batakang rom. The mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages, similar to previous mod.

3. In retrospect, I wonder what would have happened if I tried both mods listed above at the same time. It may have worked. I may try this later. But then I installed CM10 beta rom by dhacker and tried the FullScreenToggleV2.apk mod provided in this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497558 This worked like a charm, without any crashes or any disruption of the status bar. This apk inserts the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" line in your build.prop (the same as mod #1 listed above) but it's easier since you don't have to manually edit your build.prop. I tried this mod on rooted stock JB rom and Batakang rom, but it had the same (failed) results as in mod #1 above. So it only works for CM10 rom by dhacker on my XT926. I suspect it will also work in CM10 on XT925 (by epinter) but I don't have one to try.

Ideally there would be a mod that would work on the rooted stock JB rom. But short of that, at least it's reassuring that the Razr HD navbar can be removed in the CM10 rom. One could hope it may even be added as a CM10 feature later on ;)

*** Important Note: if you attempt this, obviously you would need another way to navigate through your screens. I use LMT listed under mod #3 link above. There are other options available also. Just make sure to install some app that provides an alternative method of navigation before you try the mod.

Good luck!

Upgrade to JB there are option in the forum if not available with your carrier and use Option 1, Ready it works OK, I use Gmd Gesture Control Instead of NavBar; Enjoy!!
BTW I use the FW from Canada and files to use it with telcel in Mexico, it works great, well menu appears and hide in some apps and you must try again but its usable.

Last edited:
Reactions: PantsDownJedi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!
    can you tell me where the full screen toggle is?? I've been hunting for it forever. CM10.1 beta here also

It's an app

FullscreenToggle

Sent from my MotoAHD Maxx
    Remove NavBar But use Task Bar with no FC or issues.

Good luck!

Upgrade to JB there are option in the forum if not available with your carrier and use Option 1, Ready it works OK, I use Gmd Gesture Control Instead of NavBar; Enjoy!!
    BTW I use the FW from Canada and files to use it with telcel in Mexico, it works great, well menu appears and hide in some apps and you must try again but its usable.
    I'm using the fullscreen toggle right now and no force closes

Awesome thank you I will give it a shot when I upgrade to JB

Sent from my XT925
    You can do the trick using two programs (they are paid and totally worth the money) + ROOT (rooting is very important for them to work). Of course you can try other programs. I´m not advertising. I´m just giving an idea.

Download 'GMD hide bar' to have control over the notification and status bar at your will. And also download 'Virtual Button Bar' to replace the notification bars.

When I want to read my ebooks or play some games I use these 2 programs and they always work pretty well.

Also, Virtual Button Bar has a really nice function that is: The button controls stay hidden on the position you want of the screen and then, if you just pass your finger in front of the light sensor (don´t even need to touch the screen), they appear.

Its really convenient and awesome!