[Q] Black wallpaper on Kindle Fire

Search This thread

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
Hi every one,

first, sorry for my english. I'm french.

I root my Kindle fire HD with this tuto: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117
Then, I intall Playstore with this tuto: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329
Finally, I install Go launcher HD with this tuto: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069668

But I have only black screen and no wallpaper.
I know it's a know issue, and I try to apply this fix: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42181794&postcount=75
But when I try to launch the RunMe.bat and choose the first choice, it say me:

"Your system partition is too low on disk space to complete the procedure, please delete your alternate launchers, widget picker, and livre wallpaper chooser if installed and try again".

I do that, I uninstall go launcher Ex and HD and every thing from the system/app folder, but it say me the same thing everytime. I really don't know How I can apply the fix... :/

My kindle Fire HD is on version : 7.4.8

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
This is a problem that happens when the system partition doesn't have enough space to safely install the fix, anything you added to the system folder should be uninstalled temporarily. If it was not for thisnpritective measure you would have had the device go into a boot loop. If you can verify that your device does have enough free space on the system partition(around 30-35 mb if I remember correctly) then technically you can modify the script to disable the failsafe pretty easily. Run "df /system" from a adb shell or terminal to find out how much so pace the system partition has free. Personally I recommend just flashing a new ROM over the amazon os because they are so much better but if you want to stick with amazon os then I will try to help you out with the wallpaper fix.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
This is a problem that happens when the system partition doesn't have enough space to safely install the fix, anything you added to the system folder should be uninstalled temporarily. If it was not for thisnpritective measure you would have had the device go into a boot loop. If you can verify that your device does have enough free space on the system partition(around 30-35 mb if I remember correctly) then technically you can modify the script to disable the failsafe pretty easily. Run "df /system" from a adb shell or terminal to find out how much so pace the system partition has free. Personally I recommend just flashing a new ROM over the amazon os because they are so much better but if you want to stick with amazon os then I will try to help you out with the wallpaper fix.

Thanks a lot for your response!

It was that. Too mucuh stuff in my app's folder.
I clean it a bit, and the fix has began and succesfully finish.
But no wallpaper... :/
Just a black creen like before.
I try with wallchanger, but nothing.
Hard way just for a wallpaper... thanks Amazon^^

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You have rebooted the device right? If it still doesn't work undo the fix and redo it again, also clearing the dalvik cache can sometimes help.

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
You have rebooted the device right? If it still doesn't work undo the fix and redo it again, also clearing the dalvik cache can sometimes help.

Yes, I have rebboted.
Automatically when the fix have finished, and again manually after.

I try to do it againt after cleaning, but I doesn't work.
I don't understand... :(

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Can you be more specific? Did the script fail or you mean it applied it again but didn't work again?

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
Can you be more specific? Did the script fail or you mean it applied it again but didn't work again?

The scripts finish and say me it finished successfully, and the wallpaper must now work. And the Kindle reboot automatically.
It say me to press key to finish, and the script close.
So I think, it's the normal process with the fix.

I try twice, but same result. The script say me it's good, but no wallpaper, just a black screen.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hmm wonder if there were any errors along the way I don't have failsafes in place for. If you could copy and paste the output into a post in code brackets I could tell if there was a issue or just use the debugger batch file. Read the instructions for it though or you will think it's broken. You could always just downgrade the kindle is with kffa or flash another ROM to fix the problem.

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
Hmm wonder if there were any errors along the way I don't have failsafes in place for. If you could copy and paste the output into a post in code brackets I could tell if there was a issue or just use the debugger batch file. Read the instructions for it though or you will think it's broken. You could always just downgrade the kindle is with kffa or flash another ROM to fix the problem.

Ok, I try again (always blackscreen), and this is all the fix say during the process:

Code:
Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\framework-res.apk.orig
 Doing prelim checks...
Passed!
 *             Checking For Backup             *
 *           This may take a moment.           *

remote object '/data/local/framework-res.apk.orig' does not exist

No Backup Found. (this isn't a bad thing)

*          Beginning Wallpaper Fix!           *
 *  This will take a few minutes to complete.  *
5708 KB/s (34047391 bytes in 5.824s)
Decompiling framework-res.apk...
Input file (framework-res.apk) was not found or was not readable.

FINDSTR: Cannot open decompiling\res\values\bools.xml
Patching bools.xml...
'xml.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'unix2dos.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
The system cannot find the path specified.
        0 file(s) moved.
Recompiling framework-res.apk...
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.directory.Direc
toryException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: decompiling (The system cannot fin
d the file specified)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.readMetaFile(Androlib.java:164)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:183)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:176)
        at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:228)
        at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:79)
Caused by: brut.directory.DirectoryException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: dec
ompiling (The system cannot find the file specified)
        at brut.directory.ZipRODirectory.<init>(ZipRODirectory.java:55)
        at brut.directory.ZipRODirectory.<init>(ZipRODirectory.java:38)
        at brut.androlib.res.util.ExtFile.getDirectory(ExtFile.java:55)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.readMetaFile(Androlib.java:160)
        ... 4 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: decompiling (The system cannot find th
e file specified)
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at brut.directory.ZipRODirectory.<init>(ZipRODirectory.java:53)
        ... 7 more
'7za.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
The system cannot find the file specified.
Updating framework-res.apk
'7za.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

*    Backing Up Original framework-res.apk    *
 * Please grant if a superuser request comes up*

Backup safety check temporarily disabled due to bug. (this doesnt really hurt a
nything as most people just flash back to fix it anyways.)
 Installing Wallpaper Fix...
4791 KB/s (34047391 bytes in 6.939s)

*              Congratulations!               *
 *     Your wallpaper should now function!     *
 *   Thanks for using Stunts Wallpaper Fix!    *
Cleaning Up...
Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\framework-res.apk
Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\newframework-res.apk
Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\resources.arsc
Press any key to continue . . .

If there is no solution, I'll install a custom ROM I think. Simplest I think^^
But a question about that, with another ROM, can I'll still be able to use the Amazon market, read my books buy on, and everything like the Amazon ROM?
If It's ok with that, I think this is the solution.
Is there a really safe processus for? And good custom ROM with this device?

Sorry for all my stupid questions, I'm a really noob with root, etc...

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ah I see why the fix isn't working, its something to do with when it when it retrieved the framework-res.apk, or something of that nature because the file couldn't be found when it attempted to decompile.

To answer your questions about a custom ROM, I prefer stock cm personally, latest version is cm 11. I don't know too much about what's possible with the amazon market on the non amazon is. I think you can still read books, but forget about amazon prime movies and such. I'll check what the amazon app can do in a sec and edit the post. I personally son,t own any books on amazon market so I can't personally test if I can read them, I mainly read manga on my kindle with the pocket manga app. The process to install a custom ROM is safe if you follow the instructions and check things like the md5sum of the bootloader ahead of time and such, but it is possible to hard brick this device. Main point, you probably wouldn't hard brick the device, as long as you check the bootloader's md5sum before flashing it the worst you can do is soft brick it and that's fixable with a fastboot cable. The process is fairly easy and automated if you use the fire flash app.

Edit: OK so I think you can use the amazon app, I can neither confirm nor deny because my amazon kindle app is crashing at launch. I think it works on cm 11 though, I'm still on cm 10.1 because of I'm still having to figure out a way to keep my tablet ui when going to cm 11. Someone might post if they can use it or not because I am unsure. You can always flash back to amazon os, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
Ah I see why the fix isn't working, its something to do with when it when it retrieved the framework-res.apk, or something of that nature because the file couldn't be found when it attempted to decompile.

To answer your questions about a custom ROM, I prefer stock cm personally, latest version is cm 11. I don't know too much about what's possible with the amazon market on the non amazon is. I think you can still read books, but forget about amazon prime movies and such. I'll check what the amazon app can do in a sec and edit the post. I personally son,t own any books on amazon market so I can't personally test if I can read them, I mainly read manga on my kindle with the pocket manga app. The process to install a custom ROM is safe if you follow the instructions and check things like the md5sum of the bootloader ahead of time and such, but it is possible to hard brick this device. Main point, you probably wouldn't hard brick the device, as long as you check the bootloader's md5sum before flashing it the worst you can do is soft brick it and that's fixable with a fastboot cable. The process is fairly easy and automated if you use the fire flash app.

Edit: OK so I think you can use the amazon app, I can neither confirm nor deny because my amazon kindle app is crashing at launch. I think it works on cm 11 though, I'm still on cm 10.1 because of I'm still having to figure out a way to keep my tablet ui when going to cm 11. Someone might post if they can use it or not because I am unsure. You can always flash back to amazon os, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ok thanks for your responses!
I'll install CM11. But, Must I really buy this cable? http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm
I don't have, juste the original cable and sector in the kindle's box.

On this video, he don't use special cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVuvR-hHOLE#t=14
is this proccess is safe? I guess, but I prefer ask you before make a mistake^^

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK I haven't clicked the link yet but I don't tend to use video tutorials, there have been a few hard bricks from people downgrading to a incompatible bootloader. You don't need a fastboot cable/adapter unless you brick it. Lemme grab a link for you. And I will check the video out to make sure its the right one while I'm at it.

Edit: OK well that seems to be the right video, personally I prefer this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

Its pretty simple, and you don't have to verify the md5sum when downgrading the bootloadernsinc exit includes the file and I assume checks this itself. Only major steps I recommend are put the ROM and gapps on the sdcard ahead of time in case of a boot loop into twrp, and make sure you check the box off with red text around it warning about the bootloader needing to be downgraded. If you don't check the box that downgrades the bootloader then you are going to need a fastboot cable to fix the red screen brick that will result. Oh and another thing, the IMG link has not been updated yet to the twrp 2.7 build which is the latest, so when it says to grab twrp from that page, instead go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2218796
Once you go there download the zip and extract the img file from it and use it instead.

Last edited:

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
OK I haven't clicked the link yet but I don't tend to use video tutorials, there have been a few hard bricks from people downgrading to a incompatible bootloader. You don't need a fastboot cable/adapter unless you brick it. Lemme grab a link for you. And I will check the video out to make sure its the right one while I'm at it.

Ok, thanks a lot for your help. It's very appreciated!
So I wait your link for the good process to be sure everything will be ok.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Updated post ^^

I kinda put more into that post than I thought I would. I for some reason can't stand YouTube. I mean its great on occasion but I think I grew to dislike it from people constantly sending me instant messages with YouTube links back in the day, annoyed me so much that I grew to dislike it... Kinda funny if I think of it that way.

Last edited:

wine_00

Nov 3, 2010
Updated post ^^

I kinda put more into that post than I thought I would. I for some reason can't stand YouTube. I mean its great on occasion but I think I grew to dislike it from people constantly sending me instant messages with YouTube links back in the day, annoyed me so much that I grew to dislike it... Kinda funny if I think of it that way.

Ok, I'll follow the tuto wich you gave me in link.
But, in the introduction, Seokhun wrote:

++Note: As of December 2013, Hashcode updated the freedom-boot.img to Amazon 7.4.6 so there should be no more bootloops or any other issues like that for those running 7.4.6 or lower, but to be safe, revert back regardless. If your tablet is running anything higher than 7.4.6, you will run into issues when completing the guide. Again, if you revert back to 7.2.3 like I pointed to above, then you will have no issues. If you didn't revert, always make sure your tablet is running the same or lower version than Hashcode's freedom-boot.img.

My kindle is on version 7.4.8. Is there a problem with that?

EDIT: ok I confirm, the tuto is very clear and easy to follow step by step.
I've been very careful and I've follow the written tuto with the video tuto in the same time to read and watch step by step to do no mistake, and It's perfect. Everything works perfectly!
CM11 is installed, no problem!

Thanks a lot for your help stunts, without you, I'll still be in the sand... :(
Great forum and great community! :)

Edit2 : Amazon store, apps, books, everything works perfectly... awesome!! :)

Last edited:

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
quicker fix

if u just want an easy way to wallpaper, then install vire launcher. i use it and it is nice. it could use more features but itll come along. i also ran into another launcher or 2 that also allowed wallpapers but cant remember the names offhand. i too never got the wallpaper fix to work for my kindle as well. 3rd gen KFSOWI. waiting for unlocked bootloader or whatever lol.