*Official* Clockwork Recovery

Search This thread

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
wow, the webcam idea sounds kind of exciting.
I have flashed the files in this thread, but am not above doing it again.
I'm actually going to try using a different SD card and let my phone format it....I think the card I have in there I formatted from Windows to FAT32.

I'll post my findings

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
alright, so nothing I try solves the problem. I continue to get the same error every time I try to apply update.zip.

I googled the exact error message

"E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted"

I see plenty of people who have had this error message but no solution that seems to fit.
I am in 2e recovery...i've tried formatting my SD card....redownloading the update.zip file a million times. I've tried Odin 3 1.30 and 1.52...I have flashed the .pit and .tar files multiple times.

I am considering sticking a fork in my eye.

What file or process is responsible for getting me access to 2e recovery? Or more specifically, what file or process is responsible for getting me into a recovery mode where the camera button DOESN'T execute the "select" command?

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
For those who have been hanging on the edge of their seats waiting to see if my struggles ended....they haven't totally...but I have finally managed some success.

it seems to be totally a hit or miss thing...but I have been able to get into CWR, red text and all, twice....enough to do a backup of my ROM and flash the DL17 clean ROM along with the two updates (email and social)

The only way I've been able to get into CWR....is to Odin the .pit and .tar file from this thread over and over again...until for some reason after it says reset in Odin my phone resets directly into manual recovery mode. This has happened twice, and both times I had to use the soft key to apply update.zip and both times it got me into CWR.

Manual rebooting with vol up and down takes me to the original recovery mode where the camera button works and flashing update.zip doesn't.

Even doing the Odin technique, when it doesn't fail, typically just restarts my phone into Android...except for two times.

So basically, I hope I don't need to flash anymore .zip files because getting back into CWR is like playing a game of roulette.....although strangely, I've never actually done that.

XsceneXhippieX

Oct 17, 2010
i have a continuum, im quite experienced in flashing anything really to android devices, ive got clockwork running on a vibrant, my hd2, and i CANNOT get this clockwork running. i have used odin multiple times and flashed the continuum pit.pit and the correct .tar file and had identical results to the person posting above me... except ive NEVER gotten into cwm, ive flashed through odin over 12 times now with no success... camera button always initiates options in 2e recovery... im going mad! MAD I TELL YOU! lol jk, im just frusterated, followed youtube video to each basic detail.

XsceneXhippieX

Oct 17, 2010
i noticed the only difference in installation from mine and the youtube tutorial is when my odin says "passed" it says 0-7, when the video says 0-8 right under passed, dont know if this helps, but i would enjoy clockworck to make vbackups and flash kernels/roms easily, please help...

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
looks like bubby abandoned you guys for the inspire 4g..sucks

sytech55

Jan 21, 2011
Kuwait
i noticed the only difference in installation from mine and the youtube tutorial is when my odin says "passed" it says 0-7, when the video says 0-8 right under passed, dont know if this helps, but i would enjoy clockworck to make vbackups and flash kernels/roms easily, please help...
OK, after reading the thread and downloading files, I tried the pit and tar files exactly like the youtube from DFGGED titled, "How to flash ClockWork Mod recovery for the Samsung Continuuum", and I get the same error when trying to run the update.zip file.

Now what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
Okay, I see I was not alone. The process sucked for me but I will share how I've managed success, although sporadic.

When I have installed a new ROM, the only way I can get into recovery mode where the camera button doesn't work is to do these things.
1. Install ROM Manager from the Market.
2. Run the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option within ROM Manager and select Samsung Fascinate.
3. Here is where it is tricky and hard to predict. From ROM Manager I select Reboot Into Recovery. Mind you, this doesn't take you into the proper recovery mode.
4. Upon my phone's rebooting, before it tries and fails to enter recovery mode, I pull the battery, and use the VOL-DOWN+POWER method to power it into USB Downloader mode.
5. I use the instructions we've all done, ad nauseam, with ODIN, flashing the .pit and .tar files.
6. When ODIN reboots my phone it will either reboot it INTO the correct recovery mode where it works just as you see in the YouTube video tutorial.....OR it will just reboot into Android with the Samsung and Verizon animations.

7. If I notice those animations, I pull the battery, and retry steps 4-6.

8. If I CONTINUE to fail with these steps, I will power off my phone and use the VOL-UP and VOL-DOWN + POWER method to manually enter recovery mode (even thought it will be the wrong recovery mode). Once it is at the recovery screen with all the blue options, I will pull the battery and repeat steps 4-6.

This will eventually work.....and once it has done it successfuly once, I can get into the proper recovery mode from that point forward until I wipe my phone completely or backup or restore a ROM.

I'm sorry for the lack of certainty in these steps, but I've done this a lot of times now, and I've reset and restored from backups several times to where these steps have needed to be done again.

Last edited:

sytech55

Jan 21, 2011
Kuwait
Okay, I see I was not alone. The process sucked for me but I will share how I've managed success, although sporadic.

When I have installed a new ROM, the only way I can get into recovery mode where the camera button doesn't work is to do these things.
1. Install ROM Manager from the Market.
2. Run the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option within ROM Manager and select Samsung Fascinate.
3. Here is where it is tricky and hard to predict. From ROM Manager I select Reboot Into Recovery. Mind you, this doesn't take you into the proper recovery mode.
4. Upon my phone's rebooting, before it tries and fails to enter recovery mode, I pull the battery, and use the VOL-DOWN+POWER method to power it into USB Downloader mode.
5. I use the instructions we've all done, ad nauseam, with ODIN, flashing the .pit and .tar files.
6. When ODIN reboots my phone it will either reboot it INTO the correct recovery mode where it works just as you see in the YouTube video tutorial.....OR it will just reboot into Android with the Samsung and Verizon animations.

7. If I notice those animations, I pull the battery, and retry steps 4-6.

8. If I CONTINUE to fail with these steps, I will power off my phone and use the VOL-UP and VOL-DOWN + POWER method to manually enter recovery mode (even thought it will be the wrong recovery mode). Once it is at the recovery screen with all the blue options, I will pull the battery and repeat steps 4-6.

This will eventually work.....and once it has done it successfuly once, I can get into the proper recovery mode from that point forward until I wipe my phone completely or backup or restore a ROM.

I'm sorry for the lack of certainty in these steps, but I've done this a lot of times now, and I've reset and restored from backups several times to where these steps have needed to be done again.
OK, who wants to try it first?
Spearoid, I appreciate all the info you've gathered and I'm hoping I can get it to work. I'm by no means fluent in android. Just got my phone in January and it seems I'm way over my head.
What are you using to backup your phone?
I'd like a good backup before I proceed.

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
OK, who wants to try it first?
Spearoid, I appreciate all the info you've gathered and I'm hoping I can get it to work. I'm by no means fluent in android. Just got my phone in January and it seems I'm way over my head.
What are you using to backup your phone?
I'd like a good backup before I proceed.

The process I described is necessary TO back up your phone properly. While there are always risks inherent to flashing phones, there is always that initial "risk" required to gain access to more features. Just like the rooting process is, in it of itself, a risk, if you follow those instructions you should be fine. If you follow the instructions in the Youtube tutorial posted in this thread, you should be fine too.

The problem for me was, those instructions were inadequate, at least in my case. They were still necessary, but I had to do that and more to get the proper recovery mode initialized. Now that it is established properly on my phone, I can use that recovery mode (Vol-up + Vol-down + Power) to backup and restore my phone all I want now.

I don't know of a way to do a full backup without first altering the recovery mode of your phone. The steps in my last post and the Youtube video instructions were enough to alter my phone's recovery mode properly.

Good luck!

sytech55

Jan 21, 2011
Kuwait
Spearoid, I went through your steps and I still could not get the menu key to work but I did manage to get clockwork on two occasions to show up. I applied the update.zip file using clockwork and it seemed to install without any problems.
But when I go into recovery, I still see the blue text 2e version. Is that the way it should be?

More to follow.....

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

spursrchamps2007

Jun 11, 2010
Did anyone ever find an actual solution to this update.zip issue. I'm trying to get my fiance continuum de bloated and de binged but definitely want recovery. Here is what ive noticed exactly which i didnt see anyone else bring up. When booting into the recovery (power button, vol up vol down, as soon as it goes to where i can apply the update.zip the following message is at the bottom

#MANUAL MODE#
update.zip gone

then once i go to flash it i get the error messages everyone else has reported

Failed to verify
signature verification failed
installation aborted

Once again like others it is my camera button that is accessing the options not the soft menu key. Im going to try another go with odin but either the custom recovery isnt going, or the update is screwy not sure which.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Did anyone ever find an actual solution to this update.zip issue. I'm trying to get my fiance continuum de bloated and de binged but definitely want recovery. Here is what ive noticed exactly which i didnt see anyone else bring up. When booting into the recovery (power button, vol up vol down, as soon as it goes to where i can apply the update.zip the following message is at the bottom

#MANUAL MODE#
update.zip gone

then once i go to flash it i get the error messages everyone else has reported

Failed to verify
signature verification failed
installation aborted

Once again like others it is my camera button that is accessing the options not the soft menu key. Im going to try another go with odin but either the custom recovery isnt going, or the update is screwy not sure which.

flash cwm with odin with the battery out the entire time, then unplug put the battery in and go directly into recovery, then hit the menu soft key on apply update.zip

spursrchamps2007

Jun 11, 2010
flash cwm with odin with the battery out the entire time, then unplug put the battery in and go directly into recovery, then hit the menu soft key on apply update.zip

awesome thanks, if i missed those instructions in the posts i apologize, last ones i saw with any "solution" was the hope you get lucky one lol. Now based on what i've read here (and sorry for the questions. I wasnt planning on rooting her {the fiances phone} until she told me how much she even hated bing). i have to keep the update.zip on the access clockwork each time correct, rom manager is still dead as far as rebooting to cw recovery for the continuum.

PS addrenylyn coming over from the droid to tbolt, to see your work on the bolt and now the continuum you have quickly become may favorite developer since i was a Peter alfonso bugless beast fan.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
awesome thanks, if i missed those instructions in the posts i apologize, last ones i saw with any "solution" was the hope you get lucky one lol. Now based on what i've read here (and sorry for the questions. I wasnt planning on rooting her {the fiances phone} until she told me how much she even hated bing). i have to keep the update.zip on the access clockwork each time correct, rom manager is still dead as far as rebooting to cw recovery for the continuum.

PS addrenylyn coming over from the droid to tbolt, to see your work on the bolt and now the continuum you have quickly become may favorite developer since i was a Peter alfonso bugless beast fan.

yes update.zip needs to stay on the sd card,,, and in some cases you need to replace the stock kernel to keep re-entering clockwork,,,if you boot again and it wont let you into clockwork then you need to flash cwm with odin again, and to make it permanent you will need adrynalynes test kernel to replace the stock one to make cwm stick.

Reactions: spursrchamps2007

spursrchamps2007

Jun 11, 2010
yes update.zip needs to stay on the sd card,,, and in some cases you need to replace the stock kernel to keep re-entering clockwork,,,if you boot again and it wont let you into clockwork then you need to flash cwm with odin again, and to make it permanent you will need adrynalynes test kernel to replace the stock one to make cwm stick.

is this the test kernel you were talking about
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=926555

also after reading that thread im reading how to make custom odin images/backups now lol.

spursrchamps2007

Jun 11, 2010
I know for most people this thread is dead, and I doubt well see many people flashing recovery on the continuum at this point, but for the people that do I want to respond to the update.zip errors. I own a tbolt but my wife has a continuum and wants it debinged, so knowing Adrynalyn from BAMF Im going with his rom. I ran into the same issue of the update.zip file not loading after the initial load. All you have to do is reflash the odin recovery image each time, you want to reboot into cwm. What this means is don't start messing around with things if you arent at your computer. Just what I found, if anyone needs help just post here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Odin this fie, using PDA section:
    http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar

2. Download this file and put it on the root of your sdcard:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/update.zip

3. Boot to recovery, either from manual three button method (down, up vol +power) or using something like quick boot on the market.

4. Apply update.zip.

5. Profit!

bubby323
    imnuts
    Logan302
    Trailblazer
    jt1134 (his update.zip, very awesome)

use at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything you do to your device!
    I tried to boot it using both volume keys. Now it's stuck in a bootloop saying something like "miscooperation"