[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair

Search This thread

xawen

Nov 12, 2008
Annapolis
UPDATE: Since some of you guys are still finding this useful, I updated the CWM version to 3.0.2.8. Please note that ROM Manager is the best way to install CWM 3.0.2.8. You should only need this .zip if you need to restore the B&N boot loader.

There are a number of CWM installable .zip files being distributed that break Clockworkmod in a way that Rom Manager will not fix. This .zip file will reinstall the B&N bootloader (to enable the recovery buttons) and install ClockworkMod on your internal memory. This .zip will only help if you have installed a "flashable" .zip and can no longer get into CWM by holding N + Power on boot.

This file can be installed with IOMonster's bootable CWM to re-enable the ability to use CWM without an SD card.

How to use:

1) Create a bootable CWM SD card from the link above.
2) Mount the SD card on your computer and copy the RecoveryFix.zip file to it.
3) Boot the Nook into CWM from the SD card.
4) Choose "install zip from sdcard"
5) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
6) Browse to the RecoveryFix.zip and select it.
7) Choose "Yes - Install RecoveryFix.zip"

CWM should now work by booting and holding the N + Power buttons.

Technical details:

The bootloader (u-boot.bin) file included with the stock image has code to look for the recovery key sequence on boot. It also contains the "Touch the Future of Reading" splash screen. Some of the update .zip releases include a custom uboot.bin (to change the splash screen) that does not look for the recovery keys...so there's no way to boot into recovery without an SD.

Currently the only automated way to put the correct files back is by using one of the stock recovery .zips. These take the entire system back to stock though. All this .zip does is replace the stock u-boot.bin file, CWM uRecRam and CWM uRecImg files on the /boot partition. This can also be easily fixed by booting any image from an SD card and copying these files manually.

Attachments

• RecoveryFix.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 11,246
  • RecoveryFix_3.0.1.0.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 5,922
  • RecoveryFix_3.0.2.8.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 15,394
Last edited:

byproxy

Apr 29, 2010
is this for use with any flashable rom or only certain ones? i'm on hcv4 and want to make sure this is safe to use before flashing it.

Reactions: ugknite

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Works on phiremod (CM7). I was stressing why I couldn't reach my internal recovery, but was too lazy to do any research on the matter. Just stumbled upon this and everything is fixed again ;)

solace.discord

Sep 18, 2009
Maine
gadgetgeekgrrl.blogspot.com
Works on phiremod (CM7). I was stressing why I couldn't reach my internal recovery, but was too lazy to do any research on the matter. Just stumbled upon this and everything is fixed again ;)

what do you mean by "everything is fixed again"?

I like phiremod and all, but no internal storage is irking me and I want to go back to rooted stock and try to make a CM7 bootable SD.

Jewremy

Jul 16, 2007
Boston
Flashed this, now I'm stuck on the "Touch the Future of Reading" splash screen. Running CM7 nightly latest, dalingrin's 1100MHz Overclock.

Edit: Trying to boot, won't get past that damn splash screen. Tried reflashing cm7-encore-full-5.zip, gapps, got nothing. Going to try flashing the overclock again and see if that helps.

Edit2: No dice. I don't have a backup, either. Guess I have to flash a whole new boot.img?

Last edited:

GrillMouster

Dec 8, 2010
Flashed this, now I'm stuck on the "Touch the Future of Reading" splash screen. Running CM7 nightly latest, dalingrin's 1100MHz Overclock.

Edit: Trying to boot, won't get past that damn splash screen. Tried reflashing cm7-encore-full-5.zip, gapps, got nothing. Going to try flashing the overclock again and see if that helps.

Edit2: No dice. I don't have a backup, either. Guess I have to flash a whole new boot.img?

Same thing kept happening to me. I would hold down the power button or power+n button or power+volume up + n button to get the NC to shut down. Then, I'd press the power+volume up + n button for a few seconds; this would get it to boot into CWR. From CWR I'd select reboot system. After that it would have no problem fully booting (until the problem happeend again). I did notice that after a while the startup boot took longer. After pressing the power button to power on the NC it would take several seconds before the "touch the future of reading" screen to come up, and it would take several more seconds (30 or so) for it to get past that screen.

I'm not sure what the beneft is of doing this; as long as I have a CWR bootable microSD with me (always in the NC's case) I don't need this.

cdorrell12000

Jan 22, 2009
Mount Prospect, IL
There are a number of CWM installable .zip files being distributed that break Clockworkmod in a way that Rom Manager will not fix. This .zip file will reinstall the B&N bootloader (to enable the recovery buttons) and install ClockworkMod on your internal memory. This .zip will only help if you have installed a "flashable" .zip and can no longer get into CWM by holding N + Power on boot.

This file can be installed with IOMonster's bootable CWM to re-enable the ability to use CWM without an SD card.

How to use:

Technical details:

The bootloader (u-boot.bin) file included with the stock image has code to look for the recovery key sequence on boot. It also contains the "Touch the Future of Reading" splash screen. Some of the update .zip releases include a custom uboot.bin (to change the splash screen) that does not look for the recovery keys...so there's no way to boot into recovery without an SD.

Currently the only automated way to put the correct files back is by using one of the stock recovery .zips. These take the entire system back to stock though. All this .zip does is replace the stock u-boot.bin file, CWM uRecRam and CWM uRecImg files on the /boot partition. This can also be easily fixed by booting any image from an SD card and copying these files manually.

This fixed my nook. Thanks!!!!!

wpnyc2009

Sep 24, 2009
Manhattan
Works - after a few tries!

Really appreciate the work. Thanks!

While I keep my boot disk with me, I am very happy to have the ability to power+N into CWR.

Great work, thanks m8s!

xawen

Nov 12, 2008
Annapolis
Can you be more specific about exactly which u-boot.bin, uRecRam and uRecImg files are included - including source and version ?

This .zip has the stock (B&N) u-boot.bin and the uRecRam and uRecImg for CWM 3.0.0.5. It was built a while ago to fix an issue with specific CMW installable Froyo .zip files that were being distributed. I haven't seen any CM7 images with this problem, but if anyone still has a need for this I can update to a current CWM version and post tonight.

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
This .zip has the stock (B&N) u-boot.bin and the uRecRam and uRecImg for CWM 3.0.0.5. It was built a while ago to fix an issue with specific CMW installable Froyo .zip files that were being distributed. I haven't seen any CM7 images with this problem, but if anyone still has a need for this I can update to a current CWM version and post tonight.

Aha - I looked more closely and saw that it is an old thread that was brought to the surface by a "thanks" comment.

eismanxda

Feb 15, 2008
question

So I flash this fix and can get into CWM 3.0.0.5, then I flash the official CWM 3.0.1.0 and can no longer get into recovery. I also tried the manual procedure using adb. Still no dice.

What am I doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Since some of you guys are still finding this useful, I updated the CWM version to 3.0.2.8. Please note that ROM Manager is the best way to install CWM 3.0.2.8. You should only need this .zip if you need to restore the B&N boot loader.

How to use:

Technical details:

is this for use with any flashable rom or only certain ones? i'm on hcv4 and want to make sure this is safe to use before flashing it.
    Since some of you guys are still finding this useful, I uploaded a CWM 3.0.1.0 version. I don't want to be the one responsible for distributing old broken stuff :). The 3.0.0.5 version is still in the original post if someone needs it for something.
    Nah, this definitely wouldn't work on any device other than the Nook. The u-boot included in this file is the Nook's boot loader.