first HTC phone - Wing - have questions

Search This thread

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
hey everyone this is my first windows/HTC phone and it's the tmobile wing. i have a few quick questions that are probably followed by a lot more...

1. is there any shortcut to lock the phone without having to press the lock button?
2. is there anyway to get rid of t-zones? i think you need to edit the registry but what should i use to do that?
3. is there a way i can change the calendar shortcut on main screen?
4. my alarm clock is not repeating itself. i set it as repeat sound but it's not doing it. any ideas?
5. where should i go to download more apps/games?
6. will the screen ever go black? if the phone is idling the brightness just turns off but all my old phones it would turn black
7. can't install activesync on computer. keep getting this error
92305799yx5.jpg

did exactly what it told me to. reinstall and uninstall then install with restarts. deleted entire flash folder. tried installing through IE and downloading installation don't work. tried firefox. tried usually manual update. nothing works. my computer says i have the newest version of flash installed. any ideas?

Last edited:

TaurusBullba R.I.P.

Retired Senior Moderator - The Bull Is Back
Sep 15, 2006
In your SIM slot
hey everyone this is my first windows/HTC phone and it's the tmobile wing. i have a few quick questions that are probably followed by a lot more...

1. is there any shortcut to lock the phone without having to press the lock button?
2. is there anyway to get rid of t-zones? i think you need to edit the registry but what should i use to do that?
3. is there a way i can change the calendar shortcut on main screen?
4. my alarm clock is not repeating itself. i set it as repeat sound but it's not doing it. any ideas?
5. where should i go to download more apps/games?
6. will the screen ever go black? if the phone is idling the brightness just turns off but all my old phones it would turn black
7. can't install activesync on computer. keep getting this error
92305799yx5.jpg

did exactly what it told me to. reinstall and uninstall then install with restarts. deleted entire flash folder. tried installing through IE and downloading installation don't work. tried firefox. tried usually manual update. nothing works. my computer says i have the newest version of flash installed. any ideas?

Aaaahhhh! So many questions, my head's going to explode!

I don't have a wing, but all your questions are pretty basic and something you SHOULD be able to figure out by just playing around with the phone, reading the manual and reading the Herald forums. I'll just give you some good or possibly bad advice here.

1. My sure-fire method to lock my phone? Hit the power button. Locked.
2. I'm not sure if you're asking about the T-Zones app, or the T-Zones connection. Please clarify.
3. Are you asking how to remove the calendar from your mainscreen? If so, Start -> Settings -> Today -> Items (lower tab) -> uncheck "Calendar".
4. No ideas there. I never use it.
5. More apps, games? Lots of them here. Even more here. ;)
6. Not sure about the Wing, but with the Wizard and Hermes it will dim then go black. Maybe you're not giving it enough time?
7. Scrap the install CD. Just download Activesync from Microsoft.
(Just a side note to #7. To fix your Flash problem, download and install this, reboot, then redownload and install Flash from here) Voila!

Have fun!

P.S. This one was a "gimme". Next time, please make an effort to find your own answers to such simple questions. :)

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
thanks for the quick response. sorry for the silly questions, first time i've ever owned a smartphone. use to have experience flashing/flexing motos, but this is a different story:rolleyes:

anyways
1. what exactly does clicking the power button do? it seems to make the screen go black and "locks" the phone
2. well i don't use tzones i just want to get rid of it from bottom right of screen, the tray. searched the forums a little and pple say you need to change the registry but i am not sure what to use to edit the registry. any suggestions?
3. nope i'm trying to get rid of the soft/smart key shortcut button. already got it off the menu so that didn't really help
4. anyone else?
5. lol i assume i just search for WM6 games/apps?
6. i give it enough time...30 minutes later screen still isn't black. what exactly is "Wizard and Hermes"? and your answer to #1 kinda solves the problem but yea still would like answers to #1 and to #6 that i just wrote
7. didn't work :( guess i'll try to download/install directly

TaurusBullba R.I.P.

Retired Senior Moderator - The Bull Is Back
Sep 15, 2006
In your SIM slot
thanks for the quick response. sorry for the silly questions, first time i've ever owned a smartphone. use to have experience flashing/flexing motos, but this is a different story:rolleyes:

anyways
1. what exactly does clicking the power button do? it seems to make the screen go black and "locks" the phone
2. well i don't use tzones i just want to get rid of it from bottom right of screen, the tray. searched the forums a little and pple say you need to change the registry but i am not sure what to use to edit the registry. any suggestions?
3. nope i'm trying to get rid of the soft/smart key shortcut button. already got it off the menu so that didn't really help
4. anyone else?
5. lol i assume i just search for WM6 games/apps?
6. i give it enough time...30 minutes later screen still isn't black. what exactly is "Wizard and Hermes"? and your answer to #1 kinda solves the problem but yea still would like answers to #1 and to #6 that i just wrote
7. didn't work :( guess i'll try to download/install directly

No worries about the questions. We all have to start somewhere. Just remember to check out FAQs up top. You'll find some general guidelines about the site there.

Okay, let's keep this number pattern going, it's easy.

1. Hitting the power button puts your device in "standby". A phone call, alarm, reminder, or whatever will still wake it up for you.
2. PHM Registry Editor is super easy to use.
3. You can remap button behavior by clicking Start -> Settings -> Buttons.
4. uhhh....
5. Exactly!
6. Try this, Start -> Settings -> Power -> "Advanced tab", then set when to turn the device off. It sounds like your backlight is going off, but your device isn't, but should shortly after.
7. Darn

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
1. awesome :D this makes it easy to put into my pocket
2. will try that out after i got activesync working
3. still no. it's the bottom left shortcut key. that button wasn't listed:confused:
4. do you know any other alarm programs?
5. lol yay
6. ahhhh i turned that off myself. when it said "turn off" what i thought was like the phone actually turns off. it just puts it in standby so all is good :)
7. just installed it directly from ms need to restart i'll try it tmr and update you on it

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
okay i can't install PHM Registry Editor. tried running the setup but it's not appearing in activesync. any ideas?