[CDMA] ICS Installer v1.2 is released! 6.14.84.xt912 LEAK [USE AT YOUR OWN RISK]

Search This thread

Rouxe41

Dec 22, 2011
Salt Lake City
UPDATE 8:56 PM 4/27/12: THERE ARE REPORTS OF THE LATEST LEAK MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RETURN TO .173 or .181

UPDATE 6:18 PM 4/27/12: There is a new version of ICS out for our phones and its ready to be installed with ICS Installer v1.2

UPDATE 9:43 AM 4/27/12: Updated patch! There was an error with ADB in the Motofail root section of the utility, my tests weren't catching it because I have ADB on my path. Sorry everyone! :(

UPDATE 12:57 PM 4/25/12: seems there was a problem with the first option, I have fixed it in a patch. Download it and the bottom of this post and replace the ICSInstaller.bat file in the zip with this one. Sorry everyone. :(

UPDATE 4/25/12: New version of my utility is OUT NOW! I have included RSD Lite in the zip file and the fastboot file that is required to make the switch to ICS. I have updated and thoroughly tested my instructions, and if followed EXACTLY as written, you will retain root after your installation. It is almost 100% fool proof. Enjoy the update! It will be posted as soon as it uploads to google!

Updated:
the root exploit to use latest Superuser.apk and su bin
the process to install ICS
style and layout of utility for usability
full instructions to fix your phone if you do something wrong
added the full 6.12.173 fastboot file
added RSDLite installer with instructions for use(just in case)
added instructions to retain root through ICS install (has worked 100%)
- no terminal app needed

Overall I feel it is much easier to follow, and much harder to screw something up. I just gave it to someone that has no idea what they are doing and they were able to gain root, preserve root, install ICS and regain root access. It is pretty much fool proof

UPDATE: Going though the posts i can see some people are having trouble with the instructions. Sorry I wasn't clearer. You need to have never used bootstrap or safestrap. Rule of thumb is if you've done anything besides just getting root, you're gonna have a bad time.

CDMA ONLY

I know that a bunch of you wanna get your hands on the ICS leak, but can't/don't want to go through all the steps to do so. I have a solution.

I have written a small utility to automate the process.

I am trying to get in touch with mattlegroff to add it to his utility, but in the meantime, I will release a standalone version.

lbXr8.png

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Make sure your phone is completely stock 6.12.181 (it's ok if it has been rooted)
2. Make sure you have NEVER installed bootstrap, safestrap, or cwm. (If you have used these, skip option 1 and use RSDLite 5.6)
3. Unzip ICSInstallerv1.2.rar to an empty folder
4. Double click the ICSInstaller.bat file
5. Please READ and FOLLOW all instructions! (you will retain root)
6. You now have ICS!

ONLY WORKS IN WINDOWS!
DOWNLOAD THE USB DRIVERS FIRST!
DRIVERS

Please like if this helps you out!

GET IT HERE ICS Utility v1.2USE AT OWN RISK
TORRENT: ICS Utility v1.2USE AT OWN RISK

For anyone having trouble...
DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Use option 1 or RSD to get to .173
2. Use option 5 to get OTA walkthrough
3. Use option 2 to root
4. Use option 4 to preserve root
5. Use option 7 to upgrade to ICS 6.14.84.xt912
6. Use option 8 to regain root after upgrade

REMEMBER TO READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AFTER PRESSING ENTER TO CONTINUE!

Last edited:

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
Will this work for non root users?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Yes. You can root using his installer, but I am having issues with root. It would allow somethings access and not others. I reinstalled root with OTA rootkeeper app and it completely screwed my root. Not saying it is due to the installer because it worked perfectly. Just something with ICS I assume. I will try to get root back somehow and install my bootstrap recovery because without that, I can't install zip packages through CWM.

Edit: Chances are the root loss is because of ICS. It is a known issue and there are terminal emulator steps that can help regain root if it is lost. And upon further testing I still don't have root access for bootstrap, ROM toolbox and others. I would not say it is directly related to the installer but something is going on to not allow me root access. I have root and full SU access on my phone which I updated the long way from the other forum. Not sure what is up with this.

Last edited:

Rouxe41

Dec 22, 2011
Salt Lake City
Yes you must root first before using the ICS installer.

Also:

ICS leak sometimes has an issue with previous root methods. Mine worked fine, but 3/5 of the test phones I used had troubles after the install. Use the terminal emulator or adb shell to run the commands.

To Restore Root on the Ics Leak (Edited 4/2/12 @ 12:39PM PT):
Download Android Terminal Emulator for free from the market.
Enter the following commands EXACTLY as you see them listed here:
/system/su-backup

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/system /system

cp /system/su-backup /system/bin/su
​Exit terminal & reboot.
Root should be restored at this point!

Again, you can use the terminal emulator or ADB shell to do these commands.

EDIT: you can also update the Superuser.apk and su binary by going to this page:

SUPERUSER

Last edited:
Reactions: iDavidStory

Ronin3178

Oct 26, 2010
That's what i did and it would not allow root to my apps. I am going to start over and do the long way and see what happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The key is to update your SU binary BEFORE you use voodoo. The standard motofail installs an old version that isn't compatible with ICS, update SU = rooted ics.

BytecodeMe

Apr 6, 2012
San Diego
So this method is safe it just screws with your root access with no other consequence than losing root access? But there are terminal emulator commands to fix this effectively?

Sorry, I just want to get this right before I try this on my phone;I want to make sure that most everything goes just fine.

Edit: What are the consequences of downloading this early? Will we be able to download the official update with no hassle? And if we decide that we don't like it how hard is it to flash back? I've heard some people saying that they almost bricked their phones going back to Gingerbread.

Last edited:

Rouxe41

Dec 22, 2011
Salt Lake City
I personally did not lose root. I flashed back to stock and wiped everything. I have heard that there isn't an issue with going back to GB if you do it correctly.

Edit: there aren't any consequences. When it comes out, just go back to stock and OTA like normal.

sammyd253

Oct 23, 2011
CDMA ONLY

I know that a bunch of you wanna get your hands on the ICS leak, but can't/don't want to go through all the steps to do so. I have a solution.

I am trying to get in touch with mattlegroff to add it to his utility, but in the meantime, I will release a standalone version.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Unzip to a folder
2. Double click the .bat file
3. ???
4. Profit!

Beautiful. Everything you need in one spot, thank you for your work sir!

krazie1

Jun 5, 2010
Has anyone tried this does it work? And when i install this will it wipe my SD Cards?

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
It works. I will caution that in my instance, going back to .173 took about 7 hours because nothing through Matt's utility or RSD wanted to flash. Finally got it to flash .173 so I could redo the process using the ROM manager method and it worked flawlessly, root kept and everything. Again, this utility did work... but I had issues getting back to stock because my root did not work properly.

blcklab

Oct 22, 2009
Will this work if I have bootstrap cwm? Has anyone used this and suddenly had tether?

Sent from my Iconia A500 using XDA

sammyd253

Oct 23, 2011
Worked flawlessly for me. Followed all instructions 100% and didn't have any issues. Once the actual OTA is confirmed and a date is released, I'll use this utility to revert back to .173 stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 8:56 PM 4/27/12: THERE ARE REPORTS OF THE LATEST LEAK MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RETURN TO .173 or .181

UPDATE 6:18 PM 4/27/12: There is a new version of ICS out for our phones and its ready to be installed with ICS Installer v1.2

UPDATE 9:43 AM 4/27/12: Updated patch! There was an error with ADB in the Motofail root section of the utility, my tests weren't catching it because I have ADB on my path. Sorry everyone! :(

UPDATE 12:57 PM 4/25/12: seems there was a problem with the first option, I have fixed it in a patch. Download it and the bottom of this post and replace the ICSInstaller.bat file in the zip with this one. Sorry everyone. :(

UPDATE 4/25/12: New version of my utility is OUT NOW! I have included RSD Lite in the zip file and the fastboot file that is required to make the switch to ICS. I have updated and thoroughly tested my instructions, and if followed EXACTLY as written, you will retain root after your installation. It is almost 100% fool proof. Enjoy the update! It will be posted as soon as it uploads to google!

Updated:
    the root exploit to use latest Superuser.apk and su bin
    the process to install ICS
    style and layout of utility for usability
    full instructions to fix your phone if you do something wrong
    added the full 6.12.173 fastboot file
    added RSDLite installer with instructions for use(just in case)
    added instructions to retain root through ICS install (has worked 100%)
    - no terminal app needed

Overall I feel it is much easier to follow, and much harder to screw something up. I just gave it to someone that has no idea what they are doing and they were able to gain root, preserve root, install ICS and regain root access. It is pretty much fool proof

UPDATE: Going though the posts i can see some people are having trouble with the instructions. Sorry I wasn't clearer. You need to have never used bootstrap or safestrap. Rule of thumb is if you've done anything besides just getting root, you're gonna have a bad time.

CDMA ONLY

lbXr8.png

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Make sure your phone is completely stock 6.12.181 (it's ok if it has been rooted)
    2. Make sure you have NEVER installed bootstrap, safestrap, or cwm. (If you have used these, skip option 1 and use RSDLite 5.6)
    3. Unzip ICSInstallerv1.2.rar to an empty folder
    4. Double click the ICSInstaller.bat file
    5. Please READ and FOLLOW all instructions! (you will retain root)
    6. You now have ICS!

ONLY WORKS IN WINDOWS!
    DOWNLOAD THE USB DRIVERS FIRST!
    DRIVERS

Please like if this helps you out!

GET IT HERE ICS Utility v1.2USE AT OWN RISK
    TORRENT: ICS Utility v1.2USE AT OWN RISK

For anyone having trouble...
    DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Use option 1 or RSD to get to .173
    2. Use option 5 to get OTA walkthrough
    3. Use option 2 to root
    4. Use option 4 to preserve root
    5. Use option 7 to upgrade to ICS 6.14.84.xt912
    6. Use option 8 to regain root after upgrade

REMEMBER TO READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AFTER PRESSING ENTER TO CONTINUE!

Worked fine for me on the 1st try. The package is great and very convenient to do everything you needed, but I found the instructions a little unclear and confusing. Hopefully this will provide clarity for future upgrades:

1) Download and install Motorola Drivers from HERE (you just need the "Motorola USB Drivers," not the "PC Charging Drivers")
    2) Download package made by Rouxe41 from HERE and unzip files onto PC
    3) Backup any data and settings you wish to retain from phone to SD card or computer, then wipe the phone from the Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset, checking the Erase Internal Storage box.
    4) Ensure USB Debugging is selected in Development of phone Settings, then connect phone to PC with usb cable and select Charge Only as the connection type.
    5) Open the ICSInstaller.bat file in the unzipped folder from Rouxe41 and select 1 to restore to .173 (if you have not upgraded to the new .181 or a custom ROM you should not need to do this)
    6) Select 2 to root device. You can then check to ensure the SD Card directory is properly named as sdcard-ext. I downloaded Root Browser Lite from the market which gives you a clear directory access. It was already named as such on my phone so I didn't need to rename anything.
    7) Press 4 to Install voodoo root keeper. You can then open Superuser and update the SU. Then open Root Keeper and click Protect Root. You should see a green check mark next to Root confirming that the phone is rooted.
    8) You can now press 5 to install ICS. At one point during the install you will need to wake up the phone, press okay and then allow. Other than that just let it install/reboot. This will take a few minutes so be patient.
    9) This would be where you would want to go back and check root access or take steps to grant it if necessary. I wiped my cache first and so lost the data needed I think. From what I've read, you would open Root Keeper and click Restore, then reboot the phone and open again to check root status.
    10) If you don't have root status from Root Keeper, you can download Android Terminal Emulator from the market, then open it up and type in the following commands followed by pressing the ENTER key:
    /system/su-backup
    ENTER
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/system /system
    ENTER
    cp /system/su-backup /system/bin/su
    ENTER

Then exit the program and reboot. You may need to check/restore root with Root Keeper.
    11) Since I did it differently I'm not 100% clear on the wipe data/cache, but it may restore to a rooted version unless you ensure Root Keeper has Protect Root before you wipe. Most people recommend wiping data/cache with option 6 (you have to boot into AP Fastboot first by turning phone off, the turning on and immediately pressing and holding Vol +, Vol -, then Power Keys. Use Vol - key to scroll down to AP Fastboot then use Vol + to select) or doing a Factory Reset from the phone Settings -> Privacy.

As a final note for this package, option 3. Unroot is not needed for the ICS upgrade but is provided in case you want to go back to stock maybe? Option 7 for system pull is also not needed but copies the system folder for development purposes.

Enjoy
    Lol....right when i get this installed a new leak pops up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

I rewrote the installer to make it easy to:

- backup everything
    - revert to .173
    - root
    - OTA to .181 /w root
    - upgrade to new leak /w root

I'm testing it on my personal phone now.
    Should be ready in an hour.

There will be a patch and new standalone ICS Installer v1.2
    .84 is included with the latest utility the rar is uploading to my google drive but there is a torrent! dont forget to seed!
    I'm RSDLite now..

Not sure where I'm screwing up. I'm following the instructions to the "T". I have all my other Android base hardware all rooted and running ICS/Custom ROMS.. This one is fighting me every step of the way.

Wouldn't be worth it if it was easy! :)