[Q] Unsaved video, lost due to flat battery - how to recover ?

Search This thread

Aerobotix

Oct 2, 2011
Hello beautiful people.

So, what happened was, I recorded a video, i did press pause a few times, to keep the video in one file. The location would be on micro sd card.

After some time (some time did run by), then I somehow hadn't noticed that the battery might be running flat. NExt thing is, the phone shuts off/down. I was hoping that it did save the footage. But alas, the only thing I can figure, is that there are 2 files in a 'thumbnail' folder, sized 600-800 MB, these seems to be interesting because of the timestamps. A thumbnail can hardly be of those sizes ?

I copied them to the PC and renamed them to .MP4, however, because of a missing 'header' or something they don't seem to be playable, I checked them with IrFanVew, SUPER, and other programs. They don't seem to recognize the files.

And year, its the i9505 model, rooted, with hm, omega rom (v19 on 4.3 jelly-cream-cookie-icing-on-the-cake or whatever)

before the next 20 replies tell me to use search function..i have searched in vain for vast amount of time, and nothing seems to help.

I hope I have explained the problem well. I assume, as the video recording can tell the used space (I figure 600-800mb is the size used, or like 5-7 minutes in fullHD), that the footage is saved somewhere.

Would there be any hope in using recovery programs ? I haven't have luck using those in the past, as they find all kinds of junk (including tons of thumbnails and logos etc), and I suppose, the actualy <temporary?> footage isn't classified as an .MP4 video file.

What do you think ? The problem lies not in, forgetting to save the footage, or pressing the back button. the footage/ the recording may very well have been on pause, while the phone shut off because of lack of battery power. THough I haven't checked the battery, as I replace batteries, when one battery is low. WIth a dock, i simply switch out the battery.

Thanks a bunch in advance to any good tips and help you can come up with. If anyone has a good understanding of how the standard camera app works as for saving footage in terms of temporary file locations, and/or how to handle said temporary footage files, I'd be grateful. Maybe I can check up on whether there's any temporary files that hopefully can be converted in to working video viles ?

regards

aerobotix.

At worst