Rest my phone without service?

Search This thread

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
This is going to seem like a stupid question but, I have a Nexus running CyanogenMod 11 that I no longer use as a phone; it has no data plan. I am currently using a Moto X. But I'd like to do a factory reset through TWRP. Basically start fresh. The only thing I use the phone for now is WiFi to browse the web. Since a factory reset would clear all of my settings would I be able to sign back in on Google even though I don't currently have a data plan? I'm going to say that yes, I'd be able to but I just want to make sure. I don't want to render the device a paperweight.

oddball3

Jun 28, 2012
Johannesburg
safe reset

Most definitely, you can do anything device related via Wi-Fi that you could do via mobile data. If during initial setup after reset your device does not want to allow you to add a Google account using Wi-Fi, simply skip Google signin, and once device is running, just activate your Wi-Fi, join your network and add a Google account directly from Accounts and Sync in settings.

Reactions: The Tallest

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
Most definitely, you can do anything device related via Wi-Fi that you could do via mobile data. If during initial setup after reset your device does not want to allow you to add a Google account using Wi-Fi, simply skip Google signin, and once device is running, just activate your Wi-Fi, join your network and add a Google account directly from Accounts and Sync in settings.

Thanks. That's what I thought but figured I'd jump on here and make sure. I'm not even sure what my plans are for this device. I love the Nexus but the Moto X is pretty awesome out of the box. My Nexus is on the last known good nightly for CM 11; 11-20140117-NIGHTLY-toro. I might just sell it. I just didn't want to reset it and make it a complete brick for someone else.

oddball3

Jun 28, 2012
Johannesburg
Free Moto X

Verizon Wireless is the only major wireless carrier today that does not put a software lock on any of its 4G LTE smartphones. This means that whether you are on a contract or you paid full price for your Verizon 4G LTE handset, it is automatically unlocked.

You should be able to put a SIM card in it from any GSM carrier and it will offer basic voice, texting and 3G data. Whether it will also support LTE depends on what LTE frequency bands are
supported in the phone.

A Moto X designed for Verizon will work with either an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM on the gsm network. But you may be limited in terms of the service that you can access. As I said, you will definitely be able to text, call and use 3g, access to LTE will depend on the frequency band being used in your area, but most likely you'll be covered.

As far as the nexus is concerned, it supports LTE Band 4 AWS, which is also supported by AT&T and T-Mob on GSM, although not everywhere. A simple, cheap prepaid SIM from one of these networks popped into your nexus will confirm if it will work.

Hope I was able to help out, so now what are you waiting for? Go get yourself an AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid SIM and free your Gnex.

Last edited:

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
Verizon Wireless is the only major wireless carrier today that does not put a software lock on any of its 4G LTE smartphones. This means that whether you are on a contract or you paid full price for your Verizon 4G LTE handset, it is automatically unlocked.

You should be able to put a SIM card in it from any GSM carrier and it will offer basic voice, texting and 3G data. Whether it will also support LTE depends on what LTE frequency bands are
supported in the phone.

A Moto X designed for Verizon will work with either an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM on the gsm network. But you may be limited in terms of the service that you can access. As I said, you will definitely be able to text, call and use 3g, access to LTE will depend on the frequency band being used in your area, but most likely you'll be covered.

As far as the nexus is concerned, it supports LTE Band 4 AWS, which is also supported by AT&T and T-Mob on GSM, although not everywhere. A simple, cheap prepaid SIM from one of these networks popped into your nexus will confirm if it will work.

Hope I was able to help out, so now what are you waiting for? Go get yourself an AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid SIM and free your Gnex.

I wasn't really looking to put service on it. BUT, now that you mention it, maybe I could get a sim card from a prepaid Verizon phone and put it into my Nexus and give it to my son.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    safe reset