32gb I337 to Black Edition S4 (Screen / front frame compatability)

Search This thread

Wanabedev83

Dec 24, 2012
Hi I'm currently trying to rebuild and bring back to life an I337 that's in perfect working condition "except for screen and digitizer". Before anyone asks I did test it with another screen and all is fine and perfect. My question is can a Black Edition S4 (i9505) replacement screen and housing work or be compatible with the I337? I've heard mixed and unconfirmed answers that go from "the frame is different, to the pins being different". I've looked at and compared pics from both the backs of the i337 and i9505 and both appear identical and compatible with each other, also the slots for the components look very identical. I really hope the pin connectors are the same cause if so all I would need if the housing is the only thing different would be a i337 front housing and my heat gun to stick the screen to it. All feedback is welcomed and I hope I can get this up and running real soon so I can post pics on here of the project. On a side note I got the i337 32gb for a whopping expensive $100 :eek: and if all works out the total investment would be less then $360 for a 32gb Black Edition i337.

highaltitude

Nov 4, 2010
NC
Is the 9505 screen replacement cheaper? Why not get one that says i337? I'm looking at replacing the lcd/digitizer on my wife's phone. Was just curious. In my thinking there probably isn't any difference in the part. I'm not 100% though.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wanabedev83

Dec 24, 2012
Is the 9505 screen replacement cheaper? Why not get one that says i337? I'm looking at replacing the lcd/digitizer on my wife's phone. Was just curious. In my thinking there probably isn't any difference in the part. I'm not 100% though.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Yes! Of course it's cheaper but the point to this, is to make my phone look different and unique (more premium!). I don't mind paying an extra $40 for that, plus I never liked the sapphire look. It's not really much of a difference in pricing.

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Yes! Of course it's cheaper but the point to this, is to make my phone look different and unique (more premium!). I don't mind paying an extra $40 for that, plus I never liked the sapphire look. It's not really much of a difference in pricing.

I believe it was established somewhere that a replacement I9505 screen works fine on I337. I don't see why it wouldn't, I doubt they'd take that much time to vary hardware by each model.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE

Wanabedev83

Dec 24, 2012
I believe it was established somewhere that a replacement I9505 screen works fine on I337. I don't see why it wouldn't, I doubt they'd take that much time to vary hardware by each model.

Sent from my SGH-I337 runnining GPE
Thanks for that concrete and informative answer. I ordered the part yesterday with my fingers crossed and I've also compared front and back picks of both i337 and i9505 motherboards, and after close inspection I could not see any differences in how the circuits looked meaning that it should work. Of course I know they are different inside but outside they look exactly the same so I'm no longer worried about it not working. All that's left is the rebuild and probably posting pics and even a YouTube link if the site let's me. Thanks and hope to post that soon.

Wanabedev83

Dec 24, 2012
Update: Rebuild Complete

Hi to the people interested in this post, I'm just checking back to update everyone that the I337 Black Edition project has been completed and a 100% successful (except for a very small hurdle with the front frame). Now I only have a few questions. 1) How would I go about posting a tread with the images I took of the work? 2) How do I go about enabling AWS for my tmobile service and even installing a tmobile rom with wifi calling in the safest or easiest way possible (if possible) 3) As of this date is this phone still hard to work on "installing CWM, TWMP, etc) 4th) is there any free or easy way to Sim unlock the device? All feedback is greatly appreciated.

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hi to the people interested in this post, I'm just checking back to update everyone that the I337 Black Edition project has been completed and a 100% successful (except for a very small hurdle with the front frame). Now I only have a few questions. 1) How would I go about posting a tread with the images I took of the work? 2) How do I go about enabling AWS for my tmobile service and even installing a tmobile rom with wifi calling in the safest or easiest way possible (if possible) 3) As of this date is this phone still hard to work on "installing CWM, TWMP, etc) 4th) is there any free or easy way to Sim unlock the device? All feedback is greatly appreciated.

1) Start a thread in the general section and it has options to add pictures.
2) You can't do it if you have 4.4. Otherwise, look for the aws thread in the general section. I can't link it from mobile.
3) Still no custom recovery but Safestrap.
4) The "Possible sim unlock for MK2" thread is the only option for unlock, it involves using Safestrap to flash and old modem and either using an app or using service codes.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE

clAssymeerKat

Aug 12, 2014
Brisbane

Could you tell me where you got the Black Edition lcd replacement from?