[Q] Adding languages to unbranded HTC radar

Search This thread

danielgr

Apr 24, 2012
Hi there,

This my first post, so I'll try to be short and to the point.

I just bought an sim-free HTC Radar (7720) from Expansys Japan, hoping to make a present to my Spanish mother. To my surprise, although my Japanese IS12T WP7 had several languages including Spanish, the HongKong market Radar Expansys sold me only has English and Chinese.

Since then I've been desperately trying to get a way to add Spanish display language. Found this thread on xda and thought I was saved.

Being a noob I did read every single post in the 85 pages before trying anything, unfortunately I still can't get Spanish display menu...

Here is what I did:
1) Checked I had latest Zune software (I'm running W8 CP 64bit)
2) Updated the radar up to 8107 through Zune (first 7740, then 8107).
3) Downloaded and installed WP7_update_tool
4) Downloaded and extracted WP7_Update_Cab_Sender
5) Downloaded all the Spanish language update cab files (1 for Nodo, 2 for Mango), and added them to the WP7_Update_Cab_Sender folder
6) Run the bat file, then choose "B" for backup+update
7) After a while, and a few restarts both the Update utility and the phone showed the message "Update successful".

I then went to change my display settings and found out that I still only had English and Chinese available...

Is there something I missed? Do you have any suggestions?
Right now the only thing I can think about is that maybe I shouldn't have used Zune to update. Should I try to roll back to 7740 with Zune, then update to 8107 using the Cab_Sender instead?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

danielgr

Apr 24, 2012
Well, I got impatient so just tried to restore to the previous version using Zune...

Tried already 3 times, no particular error messages and everything seems to go fine. Yet at the end I always end up where I was, at 8107...

Am I stucked in here or is there something else I can try?
Any way of getting my phone back to 7720, or any idea of whether that would help me solve my problem ?
Having Spanish support is much more important than getting future updates... so that's not an issue...

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
CAB-sender takes a backup (technically "restore point") using the same mechanism that Zune does. If you didn't back up your older restore points, they were overwritten.

I'd suggest just flashing a European stock ROM. Here's a nice list of the ROMs for Radar phones: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/HTC_Radar/Shipped_Roms. Make sure the device version matches (i.e. the TMoUS one probably won't work, though I don't know what hardware a Radar purchased by way of Japan will use).

Reactions: danielgr

danielgr

Apr 24, 2012
CAB-sender takes a backup (technically "restore point") using the same mechanism that Zune does. If you didn't back up your older restore points, they were overwritten.

I'd suggest just flashing a European stock ROM. Here's a nice list of the ROMs for Radar phones: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/HTC_Radar/Shipped_Roms. Make sure the device version matches (i.e. the TMoUS one probably won't work, though I don't know what hardware a Radar purchased by way of Japan will use).
Thank you so much for your reply; now:
- I understood what I did wrong (over-write my previous backups when I run CAB-sender...
- Have some hope to get it done.

My hardware is: HTC Radar C110e, but unfortunately I found no file matching my current Firmware/Bootloader:
- Firmware: 1600.2200.20301.708
- RadioSofware: 16.23.03.17_16.27.00.23
- Bootloader: 2.3.160015.3(134621)

So additional questions:
- If I get one of these European ROM's, will I get also the language packs delivered by default in the European region (which include the one I want, Spanish)?
- Will my phone be updatable through the regular Zune channel afterwards?
- Should I rather get the newest, oldest, or it doesn't matter? (assuming I'll get the updates normally)

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Your questions, in order:
1. Yes. These are the ROMs which are distributed on retail phones, and should include the standard language set for Windows Phones (which I'm pretty certain includes Spanish for the European phones, although I've never checked).
2. Yes. Flashing a stock ROM will make the phone behave exactly as though you'd bought it with that ROM, and it should work with Zune like any other Windows phone (including being updatable).
3. I suggest going with the newest ROM on that list, because it has the same major version number for its bootloader (2) and same revision version number for its radio (03). This reduces the risk of it not flashing correctly for some reason. That ROM is also 7740, so it will need fewer updates after flashing.

Do keep your restore point handy, in case the flash fails for whatever reason, but it shouldn't be needed. You can try recovering older restore points using the "Previous Versions" feature of Windows (requires Volume Shadow Copy service to not be disabled, and System Restore to be enabled for you user-profile disk and set to backup user files as well as system files).

Flashing a European ROM really seems like the best bet, though. You'll need to start the phone into SPL (bootloader) mode, which I believe requires turning off the phone, pressing and holding the Volume Down button, and turning it on again. You should see a screen with bands of color and info about your SPL in yellow text. At the bottom will be black text saying "Serial". Plug the phone into the computer. It will install some drivers (automatically, on Vista or later; on XP you may need to do this manually) and then the text at the bottom of the phone's screen should change to "USB". At that point, you can run the ROM Update Utility (RUU) that should have come packaged with the ROM image.

danielgr

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks again for your precious help. It seems that's exactly what I need.

Now, sorry for asking again, but after a few hours I still couldn't find a suitable RUU... The links you gave me previously pointed to the ROM images only, any idea of where can I find "the RUU packed with those images"? Or "how to pack them myself"?

I did find a few threads in xda with a link to a RUU (here) , but it's only for the oldest version. Then they provide additional ROM images (.nbh), but it's not clear to me how can I pack those into a RUU.

Finally, I did find this other thread where someone was kind of explaining how to do it, but it seems the OP didn't even get it to work to begin with, so it doesn't feel reassuring...

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I'm afraid you've reached the limits of my knowledge of such things. The only time I've manually flashed anything, the download came as a packaged RUU "installer" (basically just a self-unpacking archive, so far as I can tell) and included simple instructions for using it. If you tell me what file(s) your download contained, I could try to tell you how to lay them out like my phone has it, but I'm hesitant because I really don't know the intricacies of RUU.

I'm guessing you already checked the Radar forums? Alternatively, if you look at the threads for the other ROM downloads, at least some of them start with RUU and end with .EXE (which is how my download came) instead of starting with IMG and ending with .NBH (my download included some NBH files, though). Maybe grab one of the RUU bundles, run it, watch what files it extracts, and then replace the NBH file with the one you already downloaded? I can't promise this will work, but it's worth a shot.

danielgr

Apr 24, 2012
I'm afraid you've reached the limits of my knowledge of such things. The only time I've manually flashed anything, the download came as a packaged RUU "installer" (basically just a self-unpacking archive, so far as I can tell) and included simple instructions for using it. If you tell me what file(s) your download contained, I could try to tell you how to lay them out like my phone has it, but I'm hesitant because I really don't know the intricacies of RUU.

I'm guessing you already checked the Radar forums? Alternatively, if you look at the threads for the other ROM downloads, at least some of them start with RUU and end with .EXE (which is how my download came) instead of starting with IMG and ending with .NBH (my download included some NBH files, though). Maybe grab one of the RUU bundles, run it, watch what files it extracts, and then replace the NBH file with the one you already downloaded? I can't promise this will work, but it's worth a shot.
Well, thank you in any case for your kindness and having taken me here.

I think I'm ready to try … Just made up my mind to go in the following order:
1) Give a shot to the original RUU file (even though it has an old build of my phone); then hope that Zune updates come as you said they would (my phone unbranded phone came out of the box with Mango 7720 and it took only a few minutes to get the latest version).
2) If updates don't come, try to modify the RUU file with the newer ROM to see if I have better chance...

I'll be back to report what happened.

danielgr

Apr 24, 2012
Well, I tried both the old and the newer ROMs, and:
- on the good side: my phone didn't get killed in the process
- on the bad side: I get an error message saying "ERROR [294] : INVALID VENDER ID" no matter what...

The ReadMe file says:
One of these error messages will appear when you use the wrong RUU to do the upgrade. RUU will check if the Model ID and Language ID are compatible with the device. Make sure you use the appropriate RUU tool to upgrade.

So I guess I'm slowly reaching a dead end... Someone has any further suggestions???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.