[TUT] Disaster Recovery - How to recover from nearly everything [Updated 28/04/2012]

Search This thread

Setsuna666

Dec 12, 2009
Due to the lack of time, I cannot update this thread as frequently as I want to, so from now on, please refer to the HTC One X - XDA Developers Wiki

This guide is based on information found in leejames55 HBOOT loop thread and torxx tutorial, I just wanted to make thing clear, simple and consolidate all information in one place for non-dev users. So thanks to them and everyone who contributed.

After seeing alot of people having problem after flashing a rom, restoring RUU, re-locking bootloader, I've decided to make this guide in order to help everyone. If you follow this guide there's a good chance that you will manage to recover your phone

This is for people who have the following problem:
  • Cannot boot into ROM (e.g Stuck at the HTC Logo)
  • Boot Loop
  • Re-locked bootloader while having a non-working ROM
  • Cannot flash RUU because battery is below 30% - IMPORTANT: You must flash the new version of ClockWorkMod in order to be able to recharge the phone while off and from recovery

The most common problem is being stuck at the HTC Logo after flashing a ROM, try clearing the fastboot cache with these steps:
  1. Power off your phone and hold the power button + volume down
  2. Choose fastboot from bootloader
  3. Connect the phone to your computer
  4. On computer type:
    Code:
    fastboot erase cache
  5. Choose "Reboot" in fastboot menu

If this doesn't work, try the rest of the guide

If you cannot flash RUU, go into recovery etc. because battery is below 30%

IMPORTANT: You must flash the new version of ClockWorkMod in order to be able to recharge the phone while off and from recovery. So, flash the new recovery and this problem will NOT happen.

I don't think he can do that as more and more people have this problem as stated on OP:

• Cannot flash RUU because battery is below 30%

But there is no explanation on how to to solve the problem. All the suggestions are good only when you have at least 20% battery.

So here I want to share on how I solve my problem to get the battery up to at least 20% so that you can fastboot flash anything, but to run RUU you need to have more than 30%. This works for me and hopefully it will work for others too.

Instead of plug in and plug out the usb cable to and from your phone when connected to PC (which actually not working for me), what I did was :

1) connect the phone to PC, your phone will boot into bootloader with red light flashing on and off or all the way red or no light at all.
2) use the vol button to scroll to power down and press power to off.
3) if the phone boot again to bootloader, repeat (2)
4) if the phone not booting, press the power button to on the phone, it will boot to bootloader again. Try the fastboot flash ** (whatever you want to do, either flash unlock.bin to unlock bootloader to flash CWM recovery or relock bootloader and flash stock recovery). If it fails due to low battery, repeat again (2) then (3) and (4). I did this less than ten times to have fastboot flash working.

What I notice is whenever we press power on, it will go to splash screen but unable to pass the bootanimation due to lack of battery, it will go back to bootloader. In the process, the battery get charging but stop when we are in bootloader. So restart again & again (power down in bootloader & power on again) will charge the battery until you have enough juice for fastboot flash.

Note: item (4), I did the fastboot flash ** before power on, it will say "waiting for device", once the phone is on and in fastboot mode, the command will runs. So once the battery reach about 20%, it will runs succesfully.

Well, i discover it because i brick my phone haha now i share it to you.

IF YOU HAVE ANY UNSIGNED RECOVERY:
1.- GO TO RECOVERY
2.- FORMAT SYSTEM
3.- RESTART NORMALLY
4.- YOUR PHONE WILL STOPS IN "HTC QUIETLY BRILLIANT" SCREEN
5.- PUT YOUR PHONE TO CHARGE (no light notification appears)
6.- LET IT CHARGE FOR A COUPLE HOURS (i put mine to charge for a complete night)
7.- Now restore your RUU, Flash, etc...

IF YOU HAVE SIGNED RECOVERY:
1.- GO TO FASTBOOT
2.- HIT "SHUT DOWN"
3.- WITH THE POWER OFF PUT IT TO CHARGE
4.- RED LIGHT NOTIFICATION SHOWS THE CHARGING PROGRESS.
5.- NEXT DAY YOU WILL SEE A SOLID GREEN LIGHT NOTIFICATIONS FOR A COMPLETE CHARGE.

PD: Sorry for ortography, im from Chile, my native speaking is spanish but i want to share my knowledge with XDA COMMUNITY :D!

If you re-locked the bootloader
  1. Unlock with the same Unlock_code.bin file provided by HTC and follow this link: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-4/

If you have stock recovery
  1. Download a Custom Recovery (e.g http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594819)
  2. Then flash it with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img

If you have Custom ROM on or nandroid backup internal SD card
  1. Reboot in recovery (If your still in fastboot, choose "Reboot Bootloader" and then go into recovery)
  2. Restore a Nandroid Backup or flash Custom ROM
  3. Reboot and go into fastboot
  4. Clean cache in fastboot

If you DON'T have custom rom or Nandroid backup on internal SD card
So here a method which always works (many people have issues with flashing RUU's etc. having a bootlop.)
  • Download a RUU from here, thanks to Football!
  • Now open the .exe and make sure that it fully started.
  • Don't click anything, just go to windows icon and search for %temp%.
  • You will now find some folders, just search through these folders for the ROM.zip.
  • If you found it, you can copy it to your desktop or somewhere else.
  • Extract it with WinRar,7-zip or something like that and take the boot_signed.img and system.img.
  • Now copy the two files into the folder where the fastboot.exe is placed (if you have installed the Android SDK, it should be in platform-tools)
  • Plug in your One X, go into the bootloader and go into fastboot mode.
  • Navigate with the cmd in the folder with the fasboot.exe and the two .img's.
  • Now type in that:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img

After that:
Code:
fastboot flash system system.img

If everything worked, just reboot:
Code:
adb reboot

If you want to restore to original HTC ROM or have new HBOOT/Radio, you will have to do the step above and then the following:
  1. Flash a ROM and boot image based on 1.26 (e.g ARHD 2.1)
  2. Clear fastboot cache
    Code:
    fastboot clear cache
  3. Boot your phone
  4. Charge you phone completely
  5. Download stock recovery
  6. Flash stock recovery
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery endeavoru_recovery_signed.img
  7. Relock bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
  8. Run 1.26 RUU

Useful Links
HTC One X - IRC - This is the best way for you to get answer to you questions and help if you have problems
HTC One X - XDA Q&A

Don't hesitate to contibute to this guide, as this is made to anwser alot of questions and resolve most common problem when flashing custom roms.

We are all here to learn, take from community and give back to community!

Last edited:

itswick

May 28, 2010
Help..

C:\Android>fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img
sending 'boot' (4278 KB)... OKAY [ 0.562s]
writing 'boot'... INFOFormat partition LNX done
OKAY [ 0.468s]
finished. total time: 1.030s

C:\Android>fastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (960424 KB)... FAILED (remote: (00000006))
finished. total time: 0.016s

C:\Android>

Any Help would by nice.
My cid "None"
I have no backups on phone
No files on phone.
ruu will not run error
Iv been all over the forums and tried many ruu`s
I think i have a brick

more info.. Was t-mobile branded but i flashed custom rom, then tried to update (epic fail) i the went back into recovery and was no files on phone sd.
i have tried with locked bootloader and unlocked bootloader with stock recovery and CWM recovery, i think iv tried all..
i`v just found a ruu_endeavor for t_mobile uk 1.26.110.2 i will give that ago when it downloads in about 1hr haha

Last edited:

Raz0rX

May 14, 2010
I have a brick in 1.28
Have the newest CWM installed.
I only can go in the HBOOT or Recovery menu.
My device is S-off

Edit: sry i meant S-on

Last edited:

DaDoctor

Nov 8, 2008
KC
www.dadoctor.net
I have a brick in 1.28
Have the newest CWM installed.
I only can go in the HBOOT or Recovery menu.
My device is S-off
S-off???
If not, what u need to do is flash stock recovery and lock ur device. Then place it on the charger while its off (Fastboot > Power Off). Let it charge (higher than 30%) and download and run RUU for your device.

Last edited:

Raz0rX

May 14, 2010
OH **** ... my brain was shortly off...
I mean S-ON, sry

The problem is .. there is no RUU for 1.28
So i can do nothing, this system and boot.img trick dont work for me

itswick

May 28, 2010
C:\Android>fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img
sending 'boot' (4278 KB)... OKAY [ 0.562s]
writing 'boot'... INFOFormat partition LNX done
OKAY [ 0.468s]
finished. total time: 1.030s

C:\Android>fastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (960424 KB)... FAILED (remote: (00000006))
finished. total time: 0.016s

C:\Android>

Any Help would by nice.
My cid "None"
I have no backups on phone
No files on phone.
ruu will not run error
Iv been all over the forums and tried many ruu`s
I think i have a brick

more info.. Was t-mobile branded but i flashed custom rom, then tried to update (epic fail) i the went back into recovery and was no files on phone sd.
i have tried with locked bootloader and unlocked bootloader with stock recovery and CWM recovery, i think iv tried all..
i`v just found a ruu_endeavor for t_mobile uk 1.26.110.2 i will give that ago when it downloads in about 1hr haha

OMG i did it... My x1 is now up and running,,,
You need to find the right ruu for your device,
mine was t-mobile uk 1.26.110.5
i download RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_TMO_UK_1.26.110.2_Radio_1.1204.90.13_release_251224_signed
and all flashed first time. with stock recovery and relocked bootloader.
I hope this will HELP you with your 1X..

Raz0rX

May 14, 2010
woha nice ... i have an unbrandet device
i will search the right RUU
i used RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.26.401.2_Radio_1.1204.90.13_r and this will not work

The only difference is that i've CWM installed.. do you think this is the prob ?

Last edited:

itswick

May 28, 2010
woha nice ... i have an unbrandet device
i will search the right RUU
i used RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.26.401.2_Radio_1.1204.90.13_r and this will not work

The only difference is that i've CWM installed.. do you think this is the prob ?

Im not expert... but i had stock recovery and relocked bootloader and all work for me.

Raz0rX

May 14, 2010
Also you have flashed the boot_signed.img and the system.img?
I load a new RUU i hope this will work with it

Edit: How do i become a stock recovery ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Due to the lack of time, I cannot update this thread as frequently as I want to, so from now on, please refer to the HTC One X - XDA Developers Wiki

This guide is based on information found in leejames55 HBOOT loop thread and torxx tutorial, I just wanted to make thing clear, simple and consolidate all information in one place for non-dev users. So thanks to them and everyone who contributed.

After seeing alot of people having problem after flashing a rom, restoring RUU, re-locking bootloader, I've decided to make this guide in order to help everyone. If you follow this guide there's a good chance that you will manage to recover your phone

This is for people who have the following problem:
    • Cannot boot into ROM (e.g Stuck at the HTC Logo)
    • Boot Loop
    • Re-locked bootloader while having a non-working ROM
    • Cannot flash RUU because battery is below 30% - IMPORTANT: You must flash the new version of ClockWorkMod in order to be able to recharge the phone while off and from recovery

The most common problem is being stuck at the HTC Logo after flashing a ROM, try clearing the fastboot cache with these steps:
    1. Power off your phone and hold the power button + volume down
    2. Choose fastboot from bootloader
    3. Connect the phone to your computer
    4. On computer type:
      Code:
      fastboot erase cache
    5. Choose "Reboot" in fastboot menu

If this doesn't work, try the rest of the guide

If you cannot flash RUU, go into recovery etc. because battery is below 30%

IMPORTANT: You must flash the new version of ClockWorkMod in order to be able to recharge the phone while off and from recovery. So, flash the new recovery and this problem will NOT happen.

I don't think he can do that as more and more people have this problem as stated on OP:

• Cannot flash RUU because battery is below 30%

But there is no explanation on how to to solve the problem. All the suggestions are good only when you have at least 20% battery.

So here I want to share on how I solve my problem to get the battery up to at least 20% so that you can fastboot flash anything, but to run RUU you need to have more than 30%. This works for me and hopefully it will work for others too.

Instead of plug in and plug out the usb cable to and from your phone when connected to PC (which actually not working for me), what I did was :

1) connect the phone to PC, your phone will boot into bootloader with red light flashing on and off or all the way red or no light at all.
    2) use the vol button to scroll to power down and press power to off.
    3) if the phone boot again to bootloader, repeat (2)
    4) if the phone not booting, press the power button to on the phone, it will boot to bootloader again. Try the fastboot flash ** (whatever you want to do, either flash unlock.bin to unlock bootloader to flash CWM recovery or relock bootloader and flash stock recovery). If it fails due to low battery, repeat again (2) then (3) and (4). I did this less than ten times to have fastboot flash working.

What I notice is whenever we press power on, it will go to splash screen but unable to pass the bootanimation due to lack of battery, it will go back to bootloader. In the process, the battery get charging but stop when we are in bootloader. So restart again & again (power down in bootloader & power on again) will charge the battery until you have enough juice for fastboot flash.

Note: item (4), I did the fastboot flash ** before power on, it will say "waiting for device", once the phone is on and in fastboot mode, the command will runs. So once the battery reach about 20%, it will runs succesfully.

Well, i discover it because i brick my phone haha now i share it to you.

IF YOU HAVE ANY UNSIGNED RECOVERY:
    1.- GO TO RECOVERY
    2.- FORMAT SYSTEM
    3.- RESTART NORMALLY
    4.- YOUR PHONE WILL STOPS IN "HTC QUIETLY BRILLIANT" SCREEN
    5.- PUT YOUR PHONE TO CHARGE (no light notification appears)
    6.- LET IT CHARGE FOR A COUPLE HOURS (i put mine to charge for a complete night)
    7.- Now restore your RUU, Flash, etc...

IF YOU HAVE SIGNED RECOVERY:
    1.- GO TO FASTBOOT
    2.- HIT "SHUT DOWN"
    3.- WITH THE POWER OFF PUT IT TO CHARGE
    4.- RED LIGHT NOTIFICATION SHOWS THE CHARGING PROGRESS.
    5.- NEXT DAY YOU WILL SEE A SOLID GREEN LIGHT NOTIFICATIONS FOR A COMPLETE CHARGE.

PD: Sorry for ortography, im from Chile, my native speaking is spanish but i want to share my knowledge with XDA COMMUNITY :D!

If you re-locked the bootloader
    1. Unlock with the same Unlock_code.bin file provided by HTC and follow this link: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-4/

If you have stock recovery
    1. Download a Custom Recovery (e.g http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594819)
    2. Then flash it with the command:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img

If you have Custom ROM on or nandroid backup internal SD card
    1. Reboot in recovery (If your still in fastboot, choose "Reboot Bootloader" and then go into recovery)
    2. Restore a Nandroid Backup or flash Custom ROM
    3. Reboot and go into fastboot
    4. Clean cache in fastboot

If you DON'T have custom rom or Nandroid backup on internal SD card
    So here a method which always works (many people have issues with flashing RUU's etc. having a bootlop.)
    • Download a RUU from here, thanks to Football!
    • Now open the .exe and make sure that it fully started.
    • Don't click anything, just go to windows icon and search for %temp%.
    • You will now find some folders, just search through these folders for the ROM.zip.
    • If you found it, you can copy it to your desktop or somewhere else.
    • Extract it with WinRar,7-zip or something like that and take the boot_signed.img and system.img.
    • Now copy the two files into the folder where the fastboot.exe is placed (if you have installed the Android SDK, it should be in platform-tools)
    • Plug in your One X, go into the bootloader and go into fastboot mode.
    • Navigate with the cmd in the folder with the fasboot.exe and the two .img's.
    • Now type in that:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img

After that:
    Code:
    fastboot flash system system.img

If everything worked, just reboot:
    Code:
    adb reboot

If you want to restore to original HTC ROM or have new HBOOT/Radio, you will have to do the step above and then the following:
    1. Flash a ROM and boot image based on 1.26 (e.g ARHD 2.1)
    2. Clear fastboot cache
      Code:
      fastboot clear cache
    3. Boot your phone
    4. Charge you phone completely
    5. Download stock recovery
    6. Flash stock recovery
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery endeavoru_recovery_signed.img
    7. Relock bootloader
      Code:
      fastboot oem lock
    8. Run 1.26 RUU

Useful Links
    HTC One X - IRC - This is the best way for you to get answer to you questions and help if you have problems
    HTC One X - XDA Q&A

Don't hesitate to contibute to this guide, as this is made to anwser alot of questions and resolve most common problem when flashing custom roms.

We are all here to learn, take from community and give back to community!
    Can someone help me get back to stock so i can send my one x back? Im currently running Charmandar Rom v4.1.0. And here's some info on my phone
    HBOOT-0.94.0000
    Radio-1.1204.103.14
    Image Version- 1.28.707.10

I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

1) flash stock-recovery.img
    2) relock the bootloader - fastboot oem lock
    3) flash RUU - http://bit.ly/IjzQwM

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

The error is called 155.

Any possibility that you do not relock the bootloader before you run the RUU ?
    command : fastboot oem lock
    +1
    Nice u will be helping a lot of people with this....
    I have a problem that I cant find a way to recharge my phone...

More information is needed, like which Recovery..

Anyway, good thread!
    Clyde, you sir, are my hero. All successfully flashed and working. I think it was definitely a faulty download of the rom, once that got sorted I was able to breeze through. Thank you so much for your patience, it's greatly appreciated.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    It's my pleasure mate, glad you got things sorted finally ;)