[Q] A100 bricked?

Search This thread

cityhunter_

Apr 22, 2012
I am a newbie in this forum and would need some help to unbrick my tablet.

I have been using leaked ICS in the past 2 weeks or so. This morning when I started using the tablet, it was running VERY slowly. I rebooted it but it was stuck at Android screen for more than 30 mins. Running out of patient, I restarted it 1 more time and it can now only get to the Acer screen no matter how long i waited.

Tried a few things already with no success:
1. Hard reset using the pin hole bottom left - nothing changes
2. Go to recovery mode trying to use the HC rom (rename to update.zip) using volume up button. Once the green droid shows up for a few seconds, it turns into a droid lying down with a red exclamation mark. It will then restart itself after 30 seconds or so.

What's going on with my tablet? Any help would be appreciated.

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Cant use HC ROM...

As long as you are not BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED you can use a regular UPDATE.ZIP for your device... You cannot "DOWNGRADE" that is, you cannot go from ICS to HC again without some form of "hack" or "workaround" :eek:

See if your tablet allows you to re-flash the ICS build you were able to update to and post back... It may just be it corrupted some files... :confused:

Let us know... jejeje :D

UPDATE 1: And... Dont use VOL+, its supposed to be VOL-.

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
As long as you are not BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED you can use a regular UPDATE.ZIP for your device... You cannot "DOWNGRADE" that is, you cannot go from ICS to HC again without some form of "hack" or "workaround" :eek:

See if your tablet allows you to re-flash the ICS build you were able to update to and post back... It may just be it corrupted some files... :confused:

Let us know... jejeje :D

UPDATE 1: And... Dont use VOL+, its supposed to be VOL-.

lol...vol+ if your like me and boot to recovery in portrait :p

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

cityhunter_

Apr 22, 2012
I tried the vol - button (the one farther away from the orientation lock button), it seems like the tablet was not doing anything different at all. It will eventually get stuck at the Acer screen.

If i use the vol + button (the one closer to orientation lock button), it shows the text "Booting recovery kernel menu" in Acer splash screen. It will then go to green Droid screen with a spinning sphere. In less than 5 seconds, it seems to fail to boot into recovery menu with a 'dead' droid with a big red exclamation mark.

These are the update.zip file I found in the forum. They all gave me the same error:

Acer_AV041_A100_1.012.00_WW_GEN1.zip
Acer_AV041_A100_1.014.00_WW_GEN1.zip
Acer_A100_1.014.08_COM_GEN1.zip

Any more help? I can get upload a video to Youtube if it helps.

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
HOME Button?? Maybe??

When you get to the GREEN ANDROID... click on your HOME button and see if you get a bootloader/recovery type menu at the top left... If you dont get it from the GREEN ANDROID, try thesame (HOME button) while the RED DEAD ANDROID is showing...

When mine did that for a bit, I found there was a "hidden" recovery built in... Again, try to go to recovery and press the HOME button... You may have to press it for a few seconds...

cityhunter_

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for the pointer! It now shows a lot more information (while the sad Android with red exclamation mark is in the background)

I can scroll down/up using volume button for these options:
  1. reboot system now
  2. apply update from external storage
  3. wipe data/factory reset
  4. wipe cache partition
  5. apply update from cache

At the bottom of the screen, it is showing a whole bunch of yellow text:

E:Can't open /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
(No such file or directory)
E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
(repeat the above message for /cache/recovery/log, /cache/recovery/last_log, /cache/recovery/last_install

How can i select an option from this menu, btw?

I also tried to use the vol - button. I found that if i keep flipping orientation lock back and forth, it will show 2 messages at the top left corner showing "Erasing Userdata...Erasing cache..." in the Acer splash screen. Then it will freeze again....

Last edited:

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
PWR button to select

Make selection with Vol+/- and press PWR button to select... See if you can do a factory reset...
"
Or put the UPDATE.ZIP into your microSD and see if it lets you select the "Update from ZIP" message

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
I dont know man... I cant get mine to there because I have the unlocked bootloader now... Have you tried either of the volume buttons... maybe the HOME KEY? that may be it...

cityhunter_

Apr 22, 2012
I tried every single buttons on the device w/ no success. The home button only hide/unhide all the text. Vol +/- can scroll up/down in the menu. Pressing the power button doesn't work at all.

In the system recovery screen, it has the yellow text complaining about /dev/block/mmcblk0p5. Is there anything i can do with this?

It looks like I am running out of ideas to revive my lovely tablet. Is it time to throw it to a trash can?

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Some people are trying to do it through APX mode but it can be difficult if you don't have certain info specific 2 your tablet...

Sent from my HTC Arrive 8773 using Board Express

Reactions: ddpower

bishop793

Nov 29, 2011
Do you have pointer on what i can try? Since it's already bricked, there is nothing to lose to try it out.

Im having the same problem. With all the symptoms mentioned above. I was using the tablet and the browser froze. I tried reststarting and all i got was the acer screen. Try to reset factory defaults. Nothing. Just the dead android screen

ddpower

May 13, 2012
same problem!

my A100 does not work and face the same problem now...

I could not select the item to even recovery or anything.....

Any one can help?

Last edited:

bishop793

Nov 29, 2011
I called acer. We went through the hard reset thing. When he found out that it didnt work he told me to send it to them. So im packing it up tomorrow. Not sure if they are gonna try and fix it or just send me another one. We will see. Will keep u posted

Reactions: ddpower

blondyman1503

May 28, 2012
I have been having the same problem. I can get into the system recovery menu from the dead android, but I don't know how to select menu items.
I've tried all the buttons on the device, but none work.

Darkbulb

May 2, 2012
EXACTLY the same symptoms and exactly the same issue with not being able to select anything off the recovery menu.

Ugh.

Unfortunately mine is rooted so I assume if I send it in to Acer I will have to pay for the repair myself.

swole2

Account currently disabled
Feb 8, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
I had the same problem on my son's pad, tried every type of reset w/o any luck I finally got tired and called Best Buy they told me to bring it in and they tried the same resets before giving up and shipping it to Acer for repair. I just told them the screen froze after ICS update and 4 days later my son has his pad back in working order.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some people are trying to do it through APX mode but it can be difficult if you don't have certain info specific 2 your tablet...

Sent from my HTC Arrive 8773 using Board Express
    Do you have pointer on what i can try? Since it's already bricked, there is nothing to lose to try it out.
    I called acer. We went through the hard reset thing. When he found out that it didnt work he told me to send it to them. So im packing it up tomorrow. Not sure if they are gonna try and fix it or just send me another one. We will see. Will keep u posted