Search This thread

Tye:P

Aug 7, 2011
Melbourne
Google Pixel 3 XL
I did the wipes,
Trying to clear the scripts as we speak.
By resetting extweaks do you mean uninstall and reinstall.?

In CWM under kernel options is a setting to reset extweaks.

edit - I just thought I should mention just in case you don't already know that there's an option to clear init.d scripts in there somewhere as well. It kind of sounded like you were trying to do it manually.

Last edited:
Reactions: irony17

mozzer2k4

Nov 18, 2010
do we need to clear the init.d scripts after flashing this new kernel then? even if were only coming up from v3.2?

is it just me or is the wifi reception on this kernel much better than stock?

Last edited:

irony17

Jun 30, 2007
In CWM under kernel options is a setting to reset extweaks.

edit - I just thought I should mention just in case you don't already know that there's an option to clear init.d scripts in there somewhere as well. It kind of sounded like you were trying to do it manually.
Ok.
Did that, no reboot for five minutes :)
I hope the problem is solved
Thanks for helping

Aug 7, 2011
Melbourne
Google Pixel 3 XL
do we need to clear the init.d scripts after flashing this new kernel then? even if were only coming up from v3.2?

Im no expert on init.d scripts but I'm guessing that you really only need to if there are scripts there to begin with. The reason I suggested it was when you are having trouble in the way you're having there is really only a handful of possible solutions and that's one. Under what circumstances init.d scripts are created and placed there automatically I'm unsure. OC apps place init.d scripts there and sometimes people.

There's been WiFi improvements in the kernel recently, some that people would rather not talk about.

Last edited:

coloxim

Feb 17, 2011
Pavia
GM...abut have the same app on two rom? Can you do something?
;p

Thanks...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

marcosxd

Jan 4, 2011
Hermosillo
really? I never tried to strip it, I thought it would already be stripped :)
anyway.. it's already removed.
kernel's inbuilt ntfs support works good enough for read-only access.
and people who need read/write support are generally advanced enough to run some scripts to mount it.

Would you write a short guide, also attach the ntfs-3g zip because it is not online in your website at the present time.

Thanks!

pilgrim011

May 3, 2008
Belgrade
www.tvojsajt.com
Not sure if this has to do with the kernel, but just wanted to report this: Sometimes when I reboot my phone while in CWM the screen fades out (hard to explain) and then I get weird lines on my screen (static picture), sometimes the screen flashes in all kinds of colors while displaying patterns (not static). I then have to hold down the power button until it turns off.

What I exactly did was mounting USB storage in CWM and then copying the new kernel on my external SD. then I unmounted it, went back and accidently hit reboot system. Then the above described happened.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yeah, me too, every few days. Sometimes even power button doesn't help, and I have to take out the battery. I'm just guessing, but maybe it's because sometimes system partition stays mounted when I hit reboot from cwm.

confusedmuse

Dec 31, 2011
Speyer
Undervolting seems to be better on 3.2.1. :confused: :)
1200MHz @ 1175 mV is stable again.
800MHz even runs stable @ 800 mV with 100% CPU usage for half an hour by now :eek:... [Edit: But only if limited to 800MHz. Stable needs 900mV+...]
I think i'll get a nice battery with this one! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: powermax91

augus7

Nov 19, 2011
I don't get it. Why when I have incoming sms or missed calls, i still don't have any backlight notification. Do i have to set it or install something else?

olifee

Sep 12, 2011
OnePlus 6
Hello

I notice in rc1 ftdi_sio.ko module has been added.

I tried to insmod this and it fails.
insmod /lib/modules/ftdi_sio.ko

I get the following error....

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/ftdi_sio.ko' : unknown sym in module or invalid parameter.

modprobe /lib/modules/ftdi_sio.ko results in some error about chdir to /system/lib/modules path not found.

Any ideas or help please?

This is to allow me to hook-up my phone to the ODB port on my car for boost-gauge and the like.

USG host works fine for other USB connections - just not this one.

Thanks
Chris
Sorry for my late answer, only had time to try it right now ;).
You can see what symbols are missing in kmsg (e.g. using dmesg command).
The missing symbols in this case are provided by usbserial.ko. So the solution is to insmod that one first ;).
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/usbserial.ko
insmod /lib/modules/ftdi_sio.ko
modprobe could also resolve such dependencies automatically, but appears to be looking in different paths and not in /lib/modules.

EDIT: Creating a directory like /system/lib/modules/3.0.31-Siyah-v3.2.1+ containing symlinks to the modules in /lib/modules allows to use normal modprobe / rmmod for me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: crypticc

Aug 7, 2011
Melbourne
Google Pixel 3 XL
I don't get it. Why when I have incoming sms or missed calls, i still don't have any backlight notification. Do i have to set it or install something else?

This has been discussed a fair bit already, if you search the thread you'll find some good information.

If BLN is working when you test it in an app such as BLN Pro then it is definitely working. If it's not, it's the ROM or individual applications. Not all applications support BLN. Stock SMS is one I think (it does have a workaround though I'm pretty sure) and as far as missed calls go, I think NSTools has a service that can run in the background and enable it for missed calls. You might also have to check that there are no conflicting BLN enabling apps. Check to see if the app has an option for notifications also.

edit - I forgot to mention if you are using CM9 you might have to check/uncheck the 'Enable keys backlight' option, before I did I wasn't getting the breathing effect only the blinking and that seemed to sort it out, it might for you too, if you're using CM9 that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: augus7

elite_gamer04

Oct 30, 2006
So I keep reading conflicting things about the applications we should use to UV/Tweak.

ExTweaks is a given with Siyah - but I currently use Voltage Control to UV my CPU - Is it just a choice to use NSTools instead, or better?

Aug 7, 2011
Melbourne
Google Pixel 3 XL
So I keep reading conflicting things about the applications we should use to UV/Tweak.

ExTweaks is a given with Siyah - but I currently use Voltage Control to UV my CPU - Is it just a choice to use NSTools instead, or better?

From what I've read, I don't think it really matters unless it's to do with the governor, Lulzactive in particular. Something to do with when the application implements the setting. NSTools is supposed to be the one to use for this.

I think NSTools also allows you to set lower voltages for your UV than the others as well.

Last edited:

Aug 7, 2011
Melbourne
Google Pixel 3 XL
@ pikachu01

Hi. You seem like you might be the guy to ask.

Do you know how to mount an external HDD as writable?
Can I do this through the terminal and if so what commands do I have to enter?
I keep getting device or resource busy when I try to:

mount -o rw,remount dev/block/sda1 mnt/ntfs/sda1

Is this even close to being right?

HI, with 3.2.1 and with 3.2 and with 3.2rc2, i am getting lines on the right hand side of the display. I have tweaked a everything that was on offer in Extweaks, however i still have those lines in the medium to low brightness settings. This was not there in 3.2RC1.

Reverting for now :(

Played around the settings in Extweaks more, and reverted all GPU voltages to 3.2RC1 settings, however i can still see the white lines . Reverted to 3.2RC1.

I dunno what else has changed in the screen or GPU Settings which can cause this.
If someone can look into this, ill be very grateful. I always use the default profile, and dont do any tweaks.

Last edited:

Aug 7, 2011
Melbourne
Google Pixel 3 XL
Benchmark scores (especially synthetic ones) are only of limited value and should be used as just a guide. I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

It's too early to be sure about the battery; most recommend at least one full discharge cycle and even then unless your testing methodology is by the book it's subjective at best.

I'd say it would be as good as always (nearly) if I had to put money on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    please leave non-dev related posts here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1658647

siyahkernel-ics-wide1.png

Features:
    • based on JB sources
    • DISABLED CAP_ERASE (No superbrick bug)
    • All-in-1kernel because it supports CM9, CM10, Samsung, MIUI and Boot-to-Gecko (B2G) ROMs with a single kernel image. (no Sense4all support)
    • Dual booting support for all supported ROM types. See droidphile's post for Dual Booting FAQ
    • Custom CWM touch recovery with swipe gestures and double-tap selection
    • 6-steps CPU freq
    • 5-step GPU frequency levels. VPLL Mode to have additional frequency steps. defaults frequencies: 66-108-166-267-330.
    • Auto-root. You can also remove root via STweaks app and install it without rebooting your phone again. Auto-root can be disabled as well.
    • CPU Overclock/Undervolt support (we have two interfaces for that. both of them are defacto standard)
    • Tweakable vitalij's value (set to 5 as default)
    • Adjustable touchpad led brightness
    • Fixed fuelalert wakelocks
    • You can completely disable android logger using STweaks app
    • Faster charging for misc and USB modes. There are 3 modes (AC, Misc, USB) and normally last two of them support only slow charging. You can have charging speed of AC by increasing it (especially user while charging in car or using USB port)
    • Cpu governor optimizations
    • Gpu voltage, clock and stepcount interfaces (GPU Overclock/Undervolt)
    • Screen brightness curve settings with original panel gamma values. panel values unchanged, so you will get stock colors and will be able to use supercurio's voodoo display app when it is released. brightness modification will only change auto-brightness response.
    • BLN support both for Samsung and CM ROMs (you can use STweaks, Nstools or BLNControl app from the market to enable it)
    • Breathing or Blinking effect for BLN. (Make sure you don't enable blinking in any other BLN app) Use STweaks to select one of them.
    • Better touch sensitivity
    • Available CPU Governors: Pegasusq (default), Ondemand, Lulzactive, SmartassV2, Interactive and Conservative, Performance, Userspace, Powersave
    • CIFS as module
    • Available I/O schedulers: CFQ (default), noop, Deadline, SIO, V(R)
    • J4FS as module
    • ARM topology support (SCHED_MC)
    • Automatic EFS Backup
    • Lots of I/O tweaks and filesystem optimizations via some parts of thunderbolt scripts.
    • USB Mass Storage mode is working in CWM Touch Recovery and you can mount both internal and external sdcard as a disk drive
    • NTFS automounting for USB sticks. When you plug in an NTFS formatted USB flash it will be automatically mounted to /mnt/ntfs folder.
    • USB mouse and keyboard support
    • built-in profile support with default, battery and performance presets (you can change them in CWM Recovery). Even using everything default will save you a lot of battery juice.
    • Eargasm for headphone amplification (in STweaks) as free Voodoo Louder replacement
    • Almost everything is configurable such as scheduler features, hotplug thresholds, GPU frequencies, voltages, arm topology modes... and they are configurable via simple and free STweaks app which is embedded in the kernel and soon in Google Play & Opensource
    • Adjustable mDNIe settings
    • optional sharpness tweaks from hardcore
    • mDNIe negative effect toggle with home button (press it four times)
    • Touch gesture support by Tungstwenty. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831254)
    • BLNWW (BLN Without Wakelock)
    • Slide2Wake (originally by Fluxi)

More to come...

Known Problems:
    • no known problems yet

Thanks To:

• Chainfire, Codeworkx, Arighi, Tegrak, Vitalij, Entropy512, Netarchy, koush, Creams, sk8erwitskil, hardcore, Pikachu, myfluxi, Tungstwenty
    • This part will be expanded. most of the patches I applied are coded by someone else. please remind me if I forget to give credits to anybody..

IRC support and chat:
    Server: irc.FreeNode.net
    Channel: #siyah-kernel
    web client: http://siyah.twosx.net/ (thanks to omniwolf)
    Changelog:

See http://www.gokhanmoral.com/ for changelog.

You can find the sources at http://github.com/gokhanmoral/siyahkernel3
    and initramfs at http://github.com/gokhanmoral/initramfs3

Todo:
    these are my future plans and some of them are dreams only...
    • apply chargecurrent modifications even if the cable is connected on boot
    • add optional teamwin recovery
    • make dual-boot timeout configurable
    • implement BFN (BackFlashNotification)
    • scheduling for BLN
    • organize recovery menu items
    • higher polling rate for light sensor
    • remap mouse right button to back button
    • exfat support
    • fix blnww battery drain issue (may not be possible)
    • implement dual-booting with GB+ICS ROMs
    • faster switch between first and second ROMs without needing to reboot if possible.

troubleshooting

siyahkernel-ics-wide1.png

READ THESE FIRST

• Never report any bugs to CM9/CM10 threads if you use it together with SiyahKernel
    • Do not ask questions to me directly. This is a common thread, not my personal inbox. Ask your questions in the thread and do not target them to anyone.
    • Do not expect answers to all your questions. There are some questions which nobody knows the answer of.
    • Do not forget that this is a development thread. There is another thread in general section for those who wants to discuss battery life and chats. If your post does not include a feature request, bug report or suggestion it should be posted to the other thread.
    • No ETA for new version. Even if I sometimes talk about release dates those may change and they change for some good reason or because of my real-life obligations.
    • Make use of "Search this Thread -> Advanced Search"
    • Never ever discuss anything deep-sleep related in this thread. I do not make modifications to prevent sleep and 99% of deep sleep problems are application/ROM related. discuss it in general section. I do not want any positive ("this kernel sleeps like a baby") or negative ("There is a big problem with deep sleep. Please fix it") messages in my development thread.
    • If you do not provide details about your configuration and settings nobody can help you or nobody will care about your problem/bug report. The problems without details (ROM, settings, preferably the version that the problem first happened or the one that you don't experience the problem) will be ignored.
    • Never ever report any SOD issues if you are undervolting/overclocking and make sure you attach last_kmsg log. If you don't know what it is report the problem to the other thread because one more post without any useful information on dev thread will help noone including yourself.

FAQ:

Q: I am having some random lockups with some apps
    A: try removing root by using STweaks app and restart.

Q: What is the difference between STweaks and ExTweaks?
    A: Both have similar functionality. ExTweak is Xan's implementation of the UCI interface (which is designed by Xan and me with the helps of AndreiLux and implemented in the kernel as open scripts by me) and STweaks is mine. I was hoping Xan would release the sources of ExTweaks (without profile support) but he changed his mind and I decided to open STweaks. Soon they will have almost identical functionality, so you can use whichever you like.

Q: Does this kernel work on XXXXXX-ROM?
    A: If the ROM is based on Samsung Stock ICS Rom LPQ or newer, it should. Otherwise, search the thread... If you cannot find any reference to that ROM, try the kernel. You won't lose anything by trying this kernel. Worst case scenario is to reflash your previous kernel or ROM. You can backup your previous kernel with Hellcat's k-tool from the market.

Q: Where is CM9, MIUI or Samsung ROM versions?
    A: There is only one version. Both ROMs are supported with a single kernel image.

Q: What is the best settings?
    A: It is the one you try yourself and like.

Q: I have just lost 20-30% battery by just rebooting/flashing the kernel. Is it a bug?
    A: No. It happens because of our fuel gauge chip which doesn't require calibration goes crazy sometimes. It is not related with kernel or ROM. Just reset fuel gauge chip using STweaks app (or remove the battery and wait 3 minutes) and then charge your phone.

Q: BLN doesn't work.
    A: you need to enable it in stweaks or BLN app. if you have more than one app to configure bln make sure all of them use the same settings.

Q: BLN works in test mode but it doesn't work otherwise.
    A: if test mode works you should blame the apps. Stock messaging and email apps may not support BLN and in some other applications you may need to enable notifications. Either find another application or change your ROM.

Q: Can I use breathing effect without using BLN?
    A: for now, breathing effect only works in BLN. There is no way of using it otherwise.

Q: I need to disable and re-enable BLN in stweaks to get it working again. What is the problem?
    A: You may have another BLN related application (BLNapp, nstools, or a script) which disables BLN after stweaks apply the setting at early boot stage. you have to either uninstall that app or enable BLN in that app as well.

closing the thread once again...

I don't want to piss the mods again because this thread attracts too many people.
    most of them misinterpret the "this is a development thread" statement and use the thread for their self-development purposes.

There are very few people who give useful feedback and suggestions and I talk to them over gtalk, email or PMs anyway.

greetings :)