Is Handcent SMS Secure?

Search This thread

mike61096

Feb 10, 2012
I've used Handcent for years and haven't seen any issues with it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

fenixjn

Jul 21, 2009
Has anyone here who uses Handcent (or considered it) read the following:

http://infolookup.securegossip.com/2011/12/18/handcent-sms-logs-all-your-send-messages/

I don't like the fact that you have to log-in to gain access to some of the features, but I also don't like GoSMS, so options are limited here.

I used HC for sometime... about a year or so but became a little bit bloated for the 'additional features'. the article does raise some privacy concerns: if the text was deleted, why would HC keep an UNENCRYPTED DB for it? I am not really sure if the stock sms app does the same thing (as in keep an unencrypted DB for the text messages, I would not be surprised if it did) but the point remains: once the text is deleted it should be gone... forever, not stored in some internal DB where the app itself does not make a reference of it (as in being 'useful' to the owner to retrieve accidentally deleted messages).

Same, but that article does raise some issues.

Reactions: SComp23

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone here who uses Handcent (or considered it) read the following:

http://infolookup.securegossip.com/2011/12/18/handcent-sms-logs-all-your-send-messages/

I don't like the fact that you have to log-in to gain access to some of the features, but I also don't like GoSMS, so options are limited here.

I used HC for sometime... about a year or so but became a little bit bloated for the 'additional features'. the article does raise some privacy concerns: if the text was deleted, why would HC keep an UNENCRYPTED DB for it? I am not really sure if the stock sms app does the same thing (as in keep an unencrypted DB for the text messages, I would not be surprised if it did) but the point remains: once the text is deleted it should be gone... forever, not stored in some internal DB where the app itself does not make a reference of it (as in being 'useful' to the owner to retrieve accidentally deleted messages).

Same, but that article does raise some issues.