[Q] Thermal throttling (HardMod)

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Also, kernels such as chaos or faux allow you to change the thresholds

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

aavvaallooss

May 1, 2011
Spain

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Yeah it does. 65-70 degrees C for frequency-core throttle respectively I believe.

I've set mine to 80-85 though that is NOT a recommendation!

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
you can use a root file explorer(if you have root) to disable/turn off thermal throttle. the file is located in /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled/ then change the Y to a N.

I am on stock kernel, tried it and then ran the antutu benchmark, at 27% the phone restarted and the N was changed to Y after booting the phone.....any idea why the phone restarted?

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I read that Nexus 5 still throttles a lot compared with another SnapDragon 800 SoC (Galaxy Note 3):

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/when-benchmarks-arent-enough-cpu-performance-in-the-nexus-5/

thats because of the code, not the device. samsung sets it up how they want it, just how google sets it up how they want it. but its not a bad thing. i run my device with throttle disabled, but i dont care about heat. if google made it not throttle, all we would be reading about is how hot the nexus 5 gets. and it gets pretty hot with throttle on!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

I am on stock kernel, tried it and then ran the antutu benchmark, at 27% the phone restarted and the N was changed to Y after booting the phone.....any idea why the phone restarted?

you hit thermal shutdown. its really easy to do with antutu, even with throttle on. why did it reset it, did you save your edit or did you just change it and exit?

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
thats because of the code, not the device. samsung sets it up how they want it, just how google sets it up how they want it. but its not a bad thing. i run my device with throttle disabled, but i dont care about heat. if google made it not throttle, all we would be reading about is how hot the nexus 5 gets. and it gets pretty hot with throttle on!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

you hit thermal shutdown. its really easy to do with antutu, even with throttle on. why did it reset it, did you save your edit or did you just change it and exit?

I did save and exit.
edit -did it again and restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I did save and exit.
edit -did it again and restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding

oh, i misunderstood the first time. it doesnt stick after a reboot. after a reboot you have to disable throttle again. there are kernel control apps that do it as well, i use the trinity kernel toolbox to disable thermal throttle usually(but have to disable it after every reboot).

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding

Everything in /sys "belongs" to the kernel and is set by the hardcoded values in the kernel when the system is rebooted. This is why we need to use apps or scripts to change the /sys values after (or at) boot

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

ckgbr

Jul 30, 2010
you can use a root file explorer(if you have root) to disable/turn off thermal throttle. the file is located in /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled/ then change the Y to a N.

Strange, I looked at my nexus 5 and this file is already N... I have a stock 4.4.2 with a gravity box, and it still have thermal throttle...
Somebody help me...
Thanks a lot!

Top Liked Posts