[Q] Help! Locked AT&T Moto X without anymore unlock attempts

Search This thread

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
Hoping for some help here. I'm a true NOVICE who bought a locked AT&T Moto X online. There were problems unlocking it and all attempts to unlock it using a code were used (not exactly my fault but it's a long story lol)

I've done some reading and I'm wondering if using JCase's ROCKMYMOTO method to root the phone using Cydia Impactor will also unlock it from the AT&T carrier?

(fyi I tried to install 'MotoRoot' and 'PwnMyMoto' but both were rejected — I'm assuming because the person I bought it from updated the Camera patch that nullifies the two earlier roots).

Any help would be great.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Hoping for some help here. I'm a true NOVICE who bought a locked AT&T Moto X online. There were problems unlocking it and all attempts to unlock it using a code were used (not exactly my fault but it's a long story lol)

I've done some reading and I'm wondering if using JCase's ROCKMYMOTO method to root the phone using Cydia Impactor will also unlock it from the AT&T carrier?

(fyi I tried to install 'MotoRoot' and 'PwnMyMoto' but both were rejected — I'm assuming because the person I bought it from updated the Camera patch that nullifies the two earlier roots).

Any help would be great.

Bootloader unlock or sim unlock? Also, cydia? Isn't that an ios thing?

Reactions: FooloX

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
Pretty sure you are talking about the sim unlock which I know only gives a certain number to tries to get the proper code.
The only thing I can suggest is to plug the phone in so it has power and then let it sit at the code entry screen, with any luck after a number of hours it will again prompt for the code.

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
Pretty sure you are talking about the sim unlock which I know only gives a certain number to tries to get the proper code.
The only thing I can suggest is to plug the phone in so it has power and then let it sit at the code entry screen, with any luck after a number of hours it will again prompt for the code.

It doesn't bring up the SIM unlock screen anymore even when I insert new SIM cards. It reads my SIM as I can use theSIM toolkit and see my phone# but there is always the 'No Sim Error' icon at the top line of the phone.

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
okay well I guess there is no solution to it then... too bad I was hoping somebody would've had a suggestion or perhaps even an easy fix.

A heads up, if anyone here is with AT&T and wishes to stay with AT&T for the life of a Moto X I'll be putting a sharp Blue/White with Red accents MOTO X up on EBay pretty soon. It works great except it is apparently now impossible to unlock it to another carrier.

Cheers.

anirudh412

May 29, 2009
New Delhi
okay well I guess there is no solution to it then... too bad I was hoping somebody would've had a suggestion or perhaps even an easy fix.

A heads up, if anyone here is with AT&T and wishes to stay with AT&T for the life of a Moto X I'll be putting a sharp Blue/White with Red accents MOTO X up on EBay pretty soon. It works great except it is apparently now impossible to unlock it to another carrier.

Cheers.
Did you try speaking with AT&T customer care? Surely there has to be a solution to this

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
Have you tried any of the codes from other Motorola phones that may bring up the unlock screen? I thought most of them still allowed you to unlock but forced you to wait a long time if too many incorrect codes were entered.

One of the codes I found was #073887*

Or leaving the phone phone powered up and turning airplane mode on and off after waiting a long time to see if the unlock screen will come back.

Even if you do root the phone it won't unlock it, the only way is the proper 8 digit code. I have unlocked two of them without a problem but they were Rogers Canada phones which seem easy(and cheap) to get unlock codes for.

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
Have you tried any of the codes from other Motorola phones that may bring up the unlock screen? I thought most of them still allowed you to unlock but forced you to wait a long time if too many incorrect codes were entered.

Or leaving the phone phone powered up and turning airplane mode on and off after waiting a long time to see if the unlock screen will come back.

Even if you do root the phone it won't unlock it, the only way is the proper 8 digit code. I have unlocked two of them without a problem but they were Rogers Canada phones which seem easy(and cheap) to get unlock codes for.

Thanks for some good suggestions I hadn't heard or thought of. So far no luck but I'm gonna keep trying.

I found a neat app on Google Play. It's for the Samsung Galaxy series call 'Galaxsim Unlock' and apparently once you download the app it'll do all the unlocking for you — ie. No entering the code yourself. That would seem to bypass my problem. I emailed the developer, 'Spocky', asking if there are plans to have an app like that for the Moto X and/or if he might know a solution to my problem. Fingers crossed!

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I havent talked to AT&T as I bought the phone second-hand off of EBay. Plus I believe unlocking voids the warranty so I don't believe they assist me with it.

Sim unlocking doesn't void the warranty. They should help if you still have service with them. If not, then don't bother. They don't care if you already switched to another carrier.

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
I havent talked to AT&T as I bought the phone second-hand off of EBay. Plus I believe unlocking voids the warranty so I don't believe they assist me with it.

Lol... Sim unlocking doesn't void warranty. Who told you that? Its worth a shot giving AT&T a call since you don't have many options.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
Sim unlocking doesn't void the warranty. They should help if you still have service with them. If not, then don't bother. They don't care if you already switched to another carrier.

It's not that I switched service from them, it's that I bought the phone second-hand from someone who had AT&T service. It's IMEI is clean though. I reside in Canada so I couldn't get AT&T service as they don't offer service here. I don't think they'll help although I'll probably try to contact them since I have nothing to lose.

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
I'm starting to suspect that if I was able to put an active AT&T nano SIM in it then I might be able to get the network unlock prompt back by using some of the #codes like ##debug# or #073887*. When I try those with my Bell Mobility SIM it says unable to access network. I think I'll try purchasing a $10 or $20 pay-as-you-go AT&T SIM online and see if it nets me any progress. I don't want to sink too much money into something that might not work but another $10 won't really hurt. Otherwise, I was considering a trip to NYC the weekend after Christmas so I might have another reason to go.

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
I'm starting to suspect that if I was able to put an active AT&T nano SIM in it then I might be able to get the network unlock prompt back by using some of the #codes like ##debug# or #073887*. When I try those with my Bell Mobility SIM it says unable to access network. I think I'll try purchasing a $10 or $20 pay-as-you-go AT&T SIM online and see if it nets me any progress. I don't want to sink too much money into something that might not work but another $10 won't really hurt. Otherwise, I was considering a trip to NYC the weekend after Christmas so I might have another reason to go.

With any luck it will work, who knows what rules Motorola has in place with respect to unlocking the phone.
You probably already know this but if you buy another just grab a Rogers or Fido phone, there is no problem getting the unlock code. The Rogers/Fido version also supports 2600 Mhz LTE which you should have access to. The AT&T phone has the hardware to support 2600 Mhz but the 4.2.2 version has it disabled. The 4.4 leak enabled it but I don't know if the official release left it enabled or disabled it. The Rogers/Fido also allows bootloader unlocking which is great if you want to flash leaks, root etc.
I've been able to pickup both of my Moto X's for great deals on craigslist locally.

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
With any luck it will work, who knows what rules Motorola has in place with respect to unlocking the phone.
You probably already know this but if you buy another just grab a Rogers or Fido phone, there is no problem getting the unlock code. The Rogers/Fido version also supports 2600 Mhz LTE which you should have access to. The AT&T phone has the hardware to support 2600 Mhz but the 4.2.2 version has it disabled. The 4.4 leak enabled it but I don't know if the official release left it enabled or disabled it. The Rogers/Fido also allows bootloader unlocking which is great if you want to flash leaks, root etc.
I've been able to pickup both of my Moto X's for great deals on craigslist locally.

The only thing ROGERS doesn't have is Moto Maker ...and my 'business', I suppose. I dealt with Rogers for years and finally had enough of their lousy customer service. Honestly, Bell is now getting on my nerves too. I suspect I'll be a Telus client in the next couple years haha

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
The only thing ROGERS doesn't have is Moto Maker ...and my 'business', I suppose. I dealt with Rogers for years and finally had enough of their lousy customer service. Honestly, Bell is now getting on my nerves too. I suspect I'll be a Telus client in the next couple years haha

I hear you there, I've never been a Rogers customer in my life. I was with Telus for 21 years, same account/number. Just recently switched to Koodo because of a very special plan and Telus was not interested in offering anything remotely close to reasonable. Of course Koodo is Telus so I didn't really move much, the joke is on them, I get more service for less money.

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
Did you sort your problem out?

No I am still unable to get the 'Network Unlock Code' prompt when I insert the 'foreign' SIM into the Moto X. My last chance will be a trip to Buffalo next weekend where I can try inserting an active AT&T sim (who it's locked to) to confirm it'll still work on AT&T and whether that'll be enough to get the code prompt to come back when I put a Canadian SIM in afterward. Once I at least confirm that it still works on AT&T then I'll sell it to an AT&T customer if I can't get it to work in Canada.

I am having the same issue. Although I have an AT&T SIM and forgien SIMs all active and can't get the prompt to show up.

I purchased a unlock code, put in the foreign SIM, got the prompt. Then put in the code (1 time), it said "invalid code" and disappeared. I cannot get it to show up at all again. Would love it if the #07.... or any worked but so far none I have seen or tried do. :(

FooloX

Nov 20, 2013
I am having the same issue. Although I have an AT&T SIM and forgien SIMs all active and can't get the prompt to show up.

I purchased a unlock code, put in the foreign SIM, got the prompt. Then put in the code (1 time), it said "invalid code" and disappeared. I cannot get it to show up at all again. Would love it if the #07.... or any worked but so far none I have seen or tried do. :(

Hi there, I received a brand new Moto X from Motorola this week. I contacted their customer service and after they verified the SMEI number to confirm the phone was not labelled as lost, stolen or from a delinquent account, they gave me an email that contained a promo code for me to use Moto Maker and customize to the version of my choosing. They also provided me a Fed Ex label to mail in my old Moto X that was not functioning properly : )

I recommend contacting Motorola directly. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any help would be great.

Bootloader unlock or sim unlock? Also, cydia? Isn't that an ios thing?

Cheers.
    Did you try speaking with AT&T customer care? Surely there has to be a solution to this