CVE-2014-0973: Possible Bootloader Unlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

thewebsiteisdown

Mar 18, 2011
Even if Samsung has their own source tree for lk/aboot, it's wouldn't be surprising that (a) they already know about this and (b) they might have patched it already in their own sources. The real question is if it's patched in the binary that's on the phone.. and the way to figure that out is to disassemble the code knowing what you're looking for. And no, I do not care to do this.. I'm not qualified to.. because I know people will ask :p

It was just reported within the last week so I doubt they knew about it, just saying.

Last edited:

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
Reactions: thewebsiteisdown

thewebsiteisdown

Mar 18, 2011
Oh well, it's always fun getting a little excitement:p

And on a side note, kinda mean for him to say something 99% of the community doesn't quite know, so just a simple "no" is better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah that was pretty rude of him wasnt it? Wow, great communicator to the crowd that one...

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Yeah that was pretty rude of him wasnt it? Wow, great communicator to the crowd that one...

Think about it this way. There are two ways to handle when this situation arises
1) Identify the specific thread or user and say something, effectively calling them out.
2) Use a generalization to get the same point across (aka tact)

Keep in mind people are probably spamming him and @djrbliss to crazy town on these.
Professionally he did communicate that well. It gets the message across without singling anyone out.

So, in summary, it's being said that this can't be exploited by a known security expert.
Let's call it a day on this one unless something changes that.
Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Idk if starting a bounty for everything: root, safestrap, and bootloader is really a good idea. I mean I get it for some stuff like root, obviously that was needed but do you guys really want to have to buy every single mod? maybe we should cool our heels a bit enjoy root and see what comes our way before we start opening up our wallets, you can always donate after the fact.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Think about it this way. There are two ways to handle when this situation arises
    1) Identify the specific thread or user and say something, effectively calling them out.
    2) Use a generalization to get the same point across (aka tact)

Keep in mind people are probably spamming him and @djrbliss to crazy town on these.
    Professionally he did communicate that well. It gets the message across without singling anyone out.

So, in summary, it's being said that this can't be exploited by a known security expert.
    Let's call it a day on this one unless something changes that.
    Thank you for your time.
    Little side note,.....You know its funny how the community works. On one had, 2 months ago we had one of the most secured phones on the market. Then we had a community up in arms about not having root bootloader unlock etc etc. Not so much up in arms maybe but upset root didn't come as quick as it did. Fast forward 1 month, people learning to live without root, people giving up all hope and dumping the device, people getting further frustrated, and many people looking into any exploit found to see if it can be done for us. And then another month later we get root and everything that happened before hand is gone....people learnign to live without it - rooted, people who gave up - rooted, those who were frustrated - rooted and can finally sleep at night.

Now something like this comes up.....
    It sounds like it may work just based on the CVE description, but im not sure how much it pertains to the S5. I'm happy with root and man if this worked the flood gates will truly open.
    A new CVE was found yesterday pertaining to the Little Kernel bootloader, which is closely related to the Samsung bootloader. This CVE would allow us to load our own images and possibly unlock the bootloader permanently. There is a patch for it; however, first looks suggest that the S5 bootloader may not be patched if it is exploitable. The link below explains the CVE and includes the link for the patch.

https://www.codeaurora.org/projects...arsing-during-boot-image-authentication-leads

Feel free to discuss this. However, please follow the forum rules, and only discuss bootloader subjects on this thread.

Sent from my ROOTED white SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4
    Someone start a bounty? I'd be willing to donate as I did for root.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No need for that yet, as this isn't confirmed if it's related to us.