What is O2 Active?

Search This thread

zard

Jul 19, 2005
I've read about getting rid of 'O2 Active' in the posts but could not find out what it means.

I'm facing problems with 'Today Plugs-in' with my Singapore O2 IIs, even when upgraded to 1.40 rom and radio 1.13. Could it be due to this 'O2 Active' thing?

Even read about not installing the 'O2 crap' by keying in 0506 to get Corporate mode but my O2 doesn't seems to have this corporate mode thing. Read from a post saying to press 'soft reset' when the small warning screen appears and did that. Ended up without a Ext rom but manage to install cabs found from the wiki site where these cabs are found. Anyway, my 'Today Plugs-in' problem still exists.

Anyone can give me some pointers?

joey jojo

Mar 16, 2005
Leeds - UK
www.facebook.com
zard said:

its a big lump of **** that o2 call there active interface, but it isnt stable enough to run on a nokia, let alone a BA. o2 should learn to test ther o2 craptive before installing on machines they are selling. id advise anyone woth it installed, to uninstall it and make ur devise o2 ****e free.

zard

Jul 19, 2005
What does O2 Active do?

Anyone can capture a screen shot of it for me? Thanks.

I heard that it is not installed on BA's sold in Asia. If that is true, then my problems with 'Today Plug-Ins' are not likely be due to the O2 Active.

jeasbe

Jul 22, 2006
New Delhi
www.facebook.com
O2 Active Ui screenshot

zard said:
What does O2 Active do?

Anyone can capture a screen shot of it for me? Thanks.

I heard that it is not installed on BA's sold in Asia. If that is true, then my problems with 'Today Plug-Ins' are not likely be due to the O2 Active.

Well Zard here's a Screen capture of the O2 Active UI for U !!
active_screen.jpg

The O2 Active screen, disliked by many on the older machines now has some enhancements which might make it more acceptable.

• O2 Hotspot locator
• View Orientation Switcher
• Power Save
• WiFi and Bluetooth on/off
• Bluetooth Manager

Unfortunately, the O2 Active screen handles Today Plug-ins very poorly. Kitara Genesis won't display at all, and others are severely truncated at the Right Hand margin. This makes the usefulness of O2 Active much reduced, and O2 would do well to include some method of configuring its screen to remove items it can't display.
Another example of poor programming is that the installation of the O2 customisations removes the Time display from the Title Bar. This must be counted as a major error, as it needs a Registry editor to resolve, not to be undertaken lightly even by the experienced!

o2hotspot.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

credits :: http://www.tekguru.co.uk

mikealder

Jun 30, 2005
Blackpool Lancs
My IIs unit very nearly got binned because of the Active interface, I agree with joey jojo's sentiments on this one - turns a decent PDA based phone into a pile of useless junk.
Unfortunatly to get rid of it (if in fact you have it installed) required a hard reset of the device, so doing this will wipe out all your data stored on the unit, a back up is no use either as that puts the rubish back on the device this makes the unit even more useless, as parts of the Active are missing causing it to crash even more often, (trust me on this one - I tried and learn't the hard way :wink: )
Hard reset the device, then sit through while the unit re-boots, after a while you will get the choice of personal or corporate install, choose the later, and enter the code 0506, note you must sit with the unit while it does this, it only gives you a few seconds choice, if nothing is entered it loads the O2 crap on the device by default - Mike

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Thanks jeasbe and mikealder for the screen shots of O2 Active.

I see that the intentions for O2 Active was good bad it seemed to make it worst than better.

Lucky or not, here in Singapore, the O2 IIs that I am using, doesn't come with O2 Active. My personal experience is that the poor memory management of 2003 SE could be the culprit to all this problem. My conclusion is not to install Microsoft Voice Command (takes up a lot of memory) and have only 1 or at most 2 Today Plug-ins.

viktorfe

Feb 21, 2011
Berlin
Exakt. Früher oft zwischen 200MHz und 800MHz. Jetzt auch gern mal längere Zeit bei 1,4GHz. Und manchmal passiert es, dass immer zwischen 800-1,4Ghz gewechselt wird, obwohl nichts aktiv läuft -> Note wird sehr warm.
Ich konnte ics auf dem Gerät meiner Freundin und Rocket Rom auf meinem note direkt vergleichen. Deine Beobachtung kann ich bestätigen.