Videotron/Mobilicity Panache thread

Search This thread

GoGades

Aug 25, 2011
First, big thank you to everyone who made rooting the panache possible - very much appreciated, and huge respect for the guts it takes to be trailblazers.

Following the guide, I manage to root (and unlock, unconfirmed - is there a way w/o another SIM?) and install a new ROM (Virtuous Unity) successfully. All told it took me about 1.5 hour, with a few mistakes on my part...

I did have a few problems:
- The guide did not say that PD15IMG.zip needs to be installed on the Goldcard. When I rebooted with it, it would never find the file (obviously), so I could not downgrade. If it's in the instructions, I didn't see it, anyway. Once I did that, the downgrade went fine.
- When doing the permanent root/unlock, root_psn complained about missing /sdcard/su and /sdcard/Superuser.apk. I manually copied them to /sdcard via the shell, re-ran root_psn and all was well (no error, perm root!)

I've all my functionality back with Gingerbread and Sense 3.0, which is pretty cool. The only problem I have is that a few Google apps (GMail and quicksearch) keep forceclosing for some reason. I haven't tried to research/fit it yet - I need my beauty sleep ;)

Anyways, thanks again guys !

Last edited:

speed4134

Nov 20, 2010
Thanks gogade for pointing that out about the rom having to bee installed on the gold card.....been doubting my abilities for the last 24 hours!
Previously been using a nexus one and everything was much simpler....
I'll try it again later today. For myselt, my only reason so far to want root is to install the trackpad wake feature.

Question for you, at wich point exactly do you switch regular card to gold, and back to regular card?

Last edited:

Jgobeil

Apr 29, 2009
Québec
www.flickr.com
First, big thank you to everyone who made rooting the panache possible - very much appreciated, and huge respect for the guts it takes to be trailblazers.

Following the guide, I manage to root (and unlock, unconfirmed - is there a way w/o another SIM?) and install a new ROM (Virtuous Unity) successfully. All told it took me about 1.5 hour, with a few mistakes on my part...

I did have a few problems:
- The guide did not say that PD15IMG.zip needs to be installed on the Goldcard. When I rebooted with it, it would never find the file (obviously), so I could not downgrade. If it's in the instructions, I didn't see it, anyway. Once I did that, the downgrade went fine.
- When doing the permanent root/unlock, root_psn complained about missing /sdcard/su and /sdcard/Superuser.apk. I manually copied them to /sdcard via the shell, re-ran root_psn and all was well (no error, perm root!)

I've all my functionality back with Gingerbread and Sense 3.0, which is pretty cool. The only problem I have is that a few Google apps (GMail and quicksearch) keep forceclosing for some reason. I haven't tried to research/fit it yet - I need my beauty sleep ;)

Anyways, thanks again guys !

I'm pleased that you succeded in rooting your Panache. and thanks for mentioning the problems you had.

You are right regarding PD15IMG.zip. I will rewrite the Gold Card section in the guide to correct this omission.

Regarding su and superuser.apk, I suspect you have not replaced the Gold Card with your regular SD card after getting temp-root and downgrading as specified in the guide (Step 4.g)

Last edited:

GoGades

Aug 25, 2011
I'll try it again later today. For myselt, my only reason so far to want root is to install the trackpad wake feature.

That's hilarious - that's the SAME reason that motivated me to do this. :D

Question for you, at wich point exactly do you switch regular card to gold, and back to regular card?

Ok, if I were to update the guide, it would be this:

In section 2, "Make a Gold Card using SimpleGoldCard", as a new last step, it would be
- "Copy PD15IMG.zip to the root of the sdcard (via Windows or whatever machine you're using, no need to "push" it via adb or anything like that"

With that step done, section 4 "Get temp-root and downgrade to the Stock Froyo ROM" step f - 4 will find the PD15IMG.zip and you're on your way. So put the Goldcard in as described in f - 3.

The next stumbling block in running root_psn referred to in the step 5 guide.
- Before running root_psn, as root (# sign), do

cp /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
cp /data/local/tmp/su /sdcard/su

If you get a permission error doing those, make sure to double check that the USB connection is set to "charge only", not "disk". Froyo defaulted to "disk" for me.

Now running root_psn should run and not return any errors (it does not print any message if it ran ok).

After that, continue with the guide - if your md5 values check out properly, you're done with the downgrade and you can reboot and install a new ROM !

Hope that helps!

GoGades

Aug 25, 2011
Regarding su and superuser.apk, I suspect you have not replaced the Gold Card with your regular SD card after getting temp-root and downgrading as specified in the guide (Step 4.g)

You know, you might be right.... Up at 6am, and it was around midnight by the time I got to that step so it's very possible I made a mistake. :eek:

Thanks a lot for all your efforts Jgobeil !

GoGades

Aug 25, 2011
I should mention that a co-worker tried his Rogers SIM (I'm with mobilicity) on my phone this morning and voice worked fine... Didn't try mobile data since we didn't have have the APN data (and couldn't be bothered...)

This is probably more a Virtuous Unity problem, but I did solve some of my forcequit problems with gmail and quicksearch by removing the apps and re-fetching them from the Market. However I still get the occasional random crash from the gapps library (or whatever it's called)..

Jgobeil

Apr 29, 2009
Québec
www.flickr.com

In section 2, "Make a Gold Card using SimpleGoldCard", as a new last step, it would be
- "Copy PD15IMG.zip to the root of the sdcard (via Windows or whatever machine you're using, no need to "push" it via adb or anything like that"

With that step done, section 4 "Get temp-root and downgrade to the Stock Froyo ROM" step f - 4 will find the PD15IMG.zip and you're on your way. So put the Goldcard in as described in f - 3.

If you get a permission error doing those, make sure to double check that the USB connection is set to "charge only", not "disk". Froyo defaulted to "disk" for me.

Now running root_psn should run and not return any errors (it does not print any message if it ran ok).

After that, continue with the guide - if your md5 values check out properly, you're done with the downgrade and you can reboot and install a new ROM !

Hope that helps!

The guide has been revised. As I wrote earlier, if you replace the Gold Card with your regular SD card after getting temp-root and downgrading as specified in the guide (Step 4.g), su and Superuser.apk should be available.

Sypher1187

Aug 18, 2011
Ottawa

I had the same problem when I tried that ROM. Switched to Royal Ginger and haven't looked back.

Does anyone know how to turn simlock off? I tried the gfree free method from the TRUE PermRoot thread, and for some reason, gfree won't execute.

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
I would be very grateful if someone post a video on how to? This is all so confusing. My panache is being slow everyday. I'll pay someone if anybody teach me how to root this phone.

Jgobeil

Apr 29, 2009
Québec
www.flickr.com
I would be very grateful if someone post a video on how to? This is all so confusing. My panache is being slow everyday. I'll pay someone if anybody teach me how to root this phone.

Have you seen the guide in post #98 ? If that looks like Chinese to you, you should probably stay away. A video would be way too long and won't make it easier.

IMO, rooting your Panache is not what will make your phone faster. Reinstalling the operating system will bring it back to its original state and should fix the problem - if it does not, ask for a warranty replacement. Then be careful about the apps you install; you may have installed one that is in conflict with the phone or other apps. Don't forget to back up your data before you reset everything.

Another solution is to go back where you bought it and ask for help.

pyr0sphere

Aug 26, 2011
Own the Panache here in Toronto, having some problems getting ADB to work

Can't seem to install the drivers:

Followed all of the steps in the linked cyanogen wiki, word for word including replacing the .INF file,

When I set the phone to USB Debugging and connect to Windows XP, it pops up as "Android Phone" and not something with ADB in the name. Tried a different USB port and still the same. Only 1 computer in the home

Tried manually browsing and selecting the android_winusb.inf folder but it says hardware not supported.

Not sure what to do now. adb devices shows nothing in the command prompt

I'm sure I could probably do the rest if I can just get past this part

pyr0sphere

Aug 26, 2011
Most definitely "Charge only" and "USB debugging" enabled (via Settings->Applications->Development)

Seem to have solved it! Maybe this should be added to the guide?

Through Google, discovered a program called PdaNet for Android

And now Windows is able to auto install the drivers. Hoping that I'm not speaking pre-maturely, but hopefully everything will be fine now.

Zojak

Aug 27, 2011
I'm happy to say I successfully rooted my HTC Panache. Thank you Jgobeil for your guide.

Some comments on what happen to me.

I didn't realize PD15IMG.zip needed to be on both cards. I got to step 4-f-2 and it didn't find the PD15IMG.zip file. So I powered off and redid the Downgrade G2 steps again and pushed the file to the regular SD card as instructed at the end of the page.

After doing that I got to step 4-f-4. I hit Vol up causing the phone reboot but then it stayed on a black screen for 5 minutes. It didn't seem like anything was happening so I powered down the device then back up again and the MyTouch logo appeared and after a minute the zebra background came up. Which was a relief.

I did Step 5 to root with S-OFF the device which was really easy to follow. Except the phone automatically went into disk mode when connected by USB. I didn't notice that until I tried pushing su and Superuser.apk to the sd card and failed. Simple fix to switch to Charge Only mode.

hxxp://i.imgur.com/Edgf5.jpg
hxxp://i.imgur.com/my5q7.jpg

Now to install a ROM. :)

pyr0sphere

Aug 26, 2011
Successfully rooted my Panache with Mobilicity too.

However, now I have no idea how to install a ROM.

Interested in Royal Ginger 3.0

First step was to put the downloaded .zip file into the root of the SD Card. So do I need to be in Charge Only or Disk Drive? Either way, in My Computer I see an I: for the phone, which I can only access under Disk Drive. Is this I: the root of the SD Card? Couldn't find any folder named SD Card or anything in there

Are there any step by step instructions (similar to this guide) on how I can flash Royal Ginger?

EDIT: Think I got it, just have to boot into Clockwork Recovery and the instructions will make complete sense.

Yup, rebooted and see a Royal Ginger bootup screen. Thank you to everybody involved in making this guide and to everyone who took time to answer my questions :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Step-by-step guide to root the Videotron HTC Panache

REVISIONS:
    • 11.12.18 - Section 1.b. revised to allow for changes in the Android SDK Guide.
    • 11.12.06 - Section 4.d. revised to remove reference to "Paragraph B" which was leading to errors.
    • 11.08.27 - ADB section (1.) revised to explain USB debugging mode and USB Connected.
    • 11.08.25 - Gold Card section (2.) revised to explain what a Gold Card is and to transfer PD15IMG.zip.

Here's the usual.... Do this at your own risk. This guide describes to the best of my memory what I did to MY phone - YOURS may be different ! You are using this guide at your own risk and I am not responsible for any damage that may occur from you modifying your phone.

This guide would not have been possible without the help of these people: special thanks to Jack_R1 who has spent substantial time and efforts to help me understand and to walk me through the process, cmstlist, olivil and mark manning, The writers of the guides I refer to must also be mentioned: CyanogenMod Wiki, Setherio, nelify, halfcalf and TrueBlue_Drew. Many thanks to all of you!

Please be forgiving with my English as it is not my mother tongue.

Newer/upgraded (Gingerbread) HTC MyTouch 4G and the HTC Panache comes with a ROM that is not compatible with the gfree tool. Simply put, it means that these ROMs cannot be perm-rooted with gfree, so we must change the ROM to an older HTC MyTouch 4G ROM in order to allow the root to "stick". It's what makes the process so complicated.

The good news is that it can be done and that it is not that difficult. You just have to follow the guide; read everything before starting - make sure you understand - don't skip any steps and do exactly as written.

It is important to understand that, in addition to permanent root, changes will be made to your phone:
    • The original ROM that came with your HTC Panache will be replaced with a ROM of your choice. It may be possible to flash back the original ROM of your phone but I have not done it and it is not explained here. The original Videotron Panache ROM is included in the list of the available ROMs.

• Your carrier splash screen that comes up when you boot up your phone will be replaced by the T-Mobile one. This splash screen can be changed easily and the procedure is explained below.

Here is the 8 step procedure to root your HTC Panache:

1. Install ADB

2. Make a Gold Card

3. Note the APN parameters of your phone

4. Get temporary root and downgrade to the Stock Froyo ROM

5. Root with S-OFF, the Engineering HBoot & the ClockworkMod Recovery

6. Install the ROM of your choice

7. Set the APN parameters

8. Remove the T-Mobile splash screen or install your own (optional)

Now, let's do it !

1. Install ADB

Follow this guide: How to install the Android SDK
      http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK

Notes:
      • You don't need Eclipse.

• Unfortunately, this guide seems to change from time to time as do the folder names. You will need to adjust to it. Download the SDK and install it. When you get to the Android SDK Manager window, you only need the Tools part - so select the Tools box and install it.

What you want to achieve is this folder structure:
        android-sdk-windows (folder)
        ...platform tools (and other folders)
        ......adb.exe (and other files)

The folder android-sdk-window may have another name: android-sdk_r12-windows or android-sdk or some other name. I suggest you rename it to android-sdk-windows as soon as it is created because some ADB commands refer to this folder.

• ADB commands are executed from the Command Prompt (DOS Window). To access the Command Prompt in Windows, click the Start menu button, type cmd and press enter.

• When using ADB, your phone must have USB debugging mode enabled and must be USB connected.
        1. You enable USB debugging by using the Settings App on your phone:
          Go to Settings / Applications / Development / USB debugging and check that option. Keep it on at all times through this guide.

2. When you connect the USB cable from your PC to the phone, a screen with the green Android and USB Connected will appear on your phone. The default state is Charging Only and this is what we want. Do not push the button Turn on USB storage because ADB will not work in that mode..

2. Make a Gold Card using SimpleGoldCard

A GoldCard is a special SD card which, when inserted into your device, allows you to flash RUU files with a different CID to your own device - in other words, it allows you to flash files that were not made for your phone.

If you don't have a spare microSD card, you can purchase an inexpensive 4GB card. Even better, you can purchase a bigger and faster one and use the one that came with your phone as the Gold Card.
      • Follow this guide: Make a Gold Card using SimpleGoldCard
        http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=970157
        IMPORTANT ! Make sure you select the "MMC2 (HTC Inspire) option.

• Now, we need to download he file PD15IMG.zip and transfer it to the Gold Card:
        1. Get the file here:
          http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V4NAODYZ
          and put it in the c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools folder.

2. The Gold Card should be in your phone. Make sure you have checked the USB Debugging option in Settings/Applications/Development.

3. We will now push PD15IMG.zip to the Gold Card (later, we will also transfer it to the regular SD card). Open a Command prompt window if it is not already done and execute the following commands:

cd \android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
          adb push PD15IMG.zip /sdcard/PD15IMG.zip

Give it time to transfer the file. The command should answer:
          xxxx KB/s (327263801 bytes in xxx.xxxs)
      • Replace the Gold Card with the regular SD Card.

3. Note the APN parameters of your phone
      • On your phone, do:
        Settings / Wireless & networks / Mobile networks / Access Point Names

• There should be a line with the name of your carrier: select it

• There are several parameters, Name, APN, Proxy, etc. Copy their names and values and keep for future reference. Many are blank - that's OK.

4. Get temp-root and downgrade to the Stock Froyo ROM

Follow this guide: Downgrade G2 (2.3.3) & DZ (2.3.3) & mT4g (2.3.4) w/ S-ON to Stock Froyo
      http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1178912

Notes:
      • Execute with your regular SD card in the phone, not the Gold Card.

[*]Make sure Applications / Development / USB debugging is checked.

[*]Always choose the option For MyTouch 4G Users.

[*]Follow the guide until you reach the Downgrading section. Execute the Manual Downgrade procedure. You are now done with this Get temp-root and downgrade to the Stock Froyo ROM guide.

[*]BE VERY CAREFUL HERE !

[*]YOU ARE NOW DONE WITH THE TEMPROOT AND DOWNGRADE GUIDE.

Follow the steps below:

1. Your phone should now reboot into the bootloader. The first option should say BOOTLOADER highlighted in blue, select that by pressing the power button.

2. It will now scan the sdcard for PD15IMG.zip, load it and check it. Be patient, it takes a while to load and check. It will report CID Incorrect ! Update failed ! Don't worry, that is expected. In fact, this step doesn't work because your phone is a HTC Panache and not a HTC MyTouch 4G. That's OK and this step must be executed.

3. Turn off the phone by removing the battery, install the Gold Card and reboot in the bootloader by pushing Volume Down and Power simultaneously (alternatively - pressing Volume Down and keeping it pressed, pressing Power button, and releasing Volume Down once the bootloader screen shows up).

4. The phone will load PD15IMG.zip, check it and ask if you want to flash using Volume Up. Do that and it will come back to the bootloader rather quickly, automatically load PD15IMG.zip a second time, check it, and start uploading without asking. Let it do its thing for a few minutes; it will do a long series of unzipping and updating. You will finally get the message that the upload is complete.

5. Power down and reboot. You will get the T-Mobile splash screen and then the Zebra background image. Congradulations ! You have downgraded successfully.

[*]Remove the Gold Card from your phone and install your regular SD card.

5. Root with S-OFF, the Engineering HBoot & the ClockworkMod Recovery

6. Install the ROM of your choice

7. Set APN parameters

Most likely, as it is now, your phone can't access mobile internet. You need to set the APN parameters:
      • On your phone, do:
        Settings / Wireless & networks / Mobile networks / Access Point Names
        This page is probably empty.

• Click the Menu button and select New APN.

• Enter the parameters from the values you have saved in step 3 above.

8. Remove the T-Mobile splash screen or install your own

Use this tool: EZ Splash Screen Flasher and Image Converter
      http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=956434

Make your own splash screen or use an already made one and flash it to your phone. Enjoy !

Job done... Enjoy !!!

If this guide has been helpful, please click the Thanks button at the bottom right of this post. This is how I get paid...

I don't own an MT4G or Panache, but I started this thread for the inevitable arrival of Mobilicity & Videotron customers who would like to mod an HTC Panache. Once the MyTouch 4G Gingerbread update came out, it was found that the Fre3vo root exploit (originally found for the Sensation/Evo 3D) will also temp-root this phone. To get S-OFF you have to roll back to an old Froyo MT4G firmware - from there you can roll back forward to anything you want.

Differences between MT4G Gingerbread and Panache for the purpose of this thread:
    - Panache requires a gold card because the ROM you roll back to comes from a different carrier.
    - Your preferences in terms of what ROM to put on your phone after S-OFF may be different from T-Mobile customers - ergo, discuss here if this is an issue.

Thanks to jgobeil for posting the guide in post #98:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16858971&postcount=98

Jgobeil said:
    Hi,

Now that the rooting guide for the Panache is completed and posted, may I suggest that you update the first post of the Panache thread to refer newcomers to this thread to post #98 where the guide is.

This will make it easy for these people and maybe avoid costly mistakes.

Best regards and thanks for your help.

Hope that helps!

The guide has been revised. As I wrote earlier, if you replace the Gold Card with your regular SD card after getting temp-root and downgrading as specified in the guide (Step 4.g), su and Superuser.apk should be available.
    I don't own an MT4G or Panache, but I thought I'd start this thread for the inevitable arrival of Mobilicity & Videotron customers who would like to mod an HTC Panache.

Since it has launched with Gingerbread, I am guessing the initial root steps will be a little different. If any MT4G devs have any idea what Panache users should try differently, post it here.

Dude then why the hell did you start this if you don't own one? Stick to your own forum!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App
    For USB-OTG to work you need a compatible kernel and a phone that can give power via the USB port.
    Some phones like the Nexus 4 require some kind of "Y cord" to power the USB stick wile it's connected to the phone.
    It's possible that the Glacier don't have this power requirement and since the Y Cord is rare, maybe no one tried to develop the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta