S Note is Rubbish

Search This thread

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
And don't forget the 138 portrait backgrounds too...

Mine seriously doesnt have any of these.......thats so weird. I'm using cleanrom but nobody else has reported it......I might need to give samsung a call.

Here.

SNoteTemplate.png

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Mine seriously doesnt have any of these...

You should be able to download the backgrounds and sketch art in settings...

I'm using cleanrom but nobody else has reported it......I might need to give samsung a call.

I'd post in Scott's thread or PM him. Some people posted their S Note versions and we're all on 1.0 so it's not something I'd imagine that's Samsung-related. It might not be the templates that are missing but a separate file that supports S Note's portrait mode. If all the templates were borked or Scott deleted them you wouldn't have landscape because their all in the same hidden directory.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013

I'd post in Scott's thread or PM him. Some people posted their S Note versions and we're all on 1.0 so it's not something I'd imagine that's Samsung-related. It might not be the templates that are missing but a separate file that supports S Note's portrait mode. If all the templates were borked or Scott deleted them you wouldn't have landscape because their all in the same hidden directory.

No idea. Yeah the portrait option does not show up at all.

woodsonmh

Dec 2, 2010
I haven't used another note, so I may not understand the issue, however I did have an idea. You can open multiple text fields, by tap and hover any place on page. Took a little practice. Just tap and lift pen without losing screen circle.
That opens keyboard. In keyboard settings go to third from bottom setting and check pen detection. This changes the keyboard to pen write screen when the pen is detected.
Use paragraphs and start new paragraph when subject changes or you want to draw on screen.
Use above method to open new paragraph and pen text entry opens automatically.
You could prepare a page with 3 or four text fields already on page. Copy page. You prepared pages for entry. If you had lecture notes you could use headings in. Text fileds. Have enough prepares pages for hour notes.
I can see either method being use full in my school days. If nothing else perhaps it gives someone ideas.
Woody
P's if done right I don't think you need to hover, for me placing text box was easier with finger mode on and using finger.

5ypuhaba.jpg

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
That is the old snote the attached is the new snot and I have none of what you have.

I know it's the old S Note. I posted it to show who I was responding to that the functionality he referenced hasn't changed between versions. Everything in my screen caps is available in the new S Note. You access them by writing first, lassoing what you want to apply an effect to, and then picking an action using transform. The old way required you to pre-select an action (if i remember correctly). What functions or capabilities do you think are missing between versions?

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Then you made something wrong because I have them all on CleanRom.

I havent done anything to it. They actually never showed up even when I was completely stock.

I dont think it is an issue with cleanrom as nobody else is experiencing it. Rather mine actually never showed them when stock. It was an initial gripe I had. Think I might just return it and get the 12.2

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Because the interface is changed and cleaned but the functions are still there... maybe it is time to read the handbook?

Here's my take on the new S Note over the old. The old was dated looking from the day it was released. All the functions were in your face in tool bars and menus whether you used them frequently or rarely. Having all the tools, options, and rulers shown all the time also consumed a lot of screen real estate. The new version's cleaner and the functions used most are prominent with others either a menu or long press away. It's also infinitely faster when doing anything from saving to formula calculation.

To me, being able to use transform after-the-fact takes away the need to figure out in advance what I'm going to do with a specific note I'm creating. Not all my notes are equal and some end up being irrelevant so having to go through the gymnastics of turning them from ink-to-text in real-time which, with iffy handwriting, is time consuming and prone to error is a waste of time.

As said previously, now that S Search can search on handwriting I rarely convert my handwritten notes to text. Most of the time I'll convert excerpts if I need to reference them in an e-mail or more formal document. Before Scrap Book I used the old S Note to collect ideas and content. Now I use S Note almost purely for notes and Scrap Book to collect ideas and content to support them. Neither S Notes or Scrap Book files can be viewed on anything but a Samsung device so everything anyone here creates that's destined to be shared needs to be moved to a more accessible format. If I know I'm going to be using a bunch of content in a "real" document to be viewed by others I use a faux-Office app (Hancock's now my favorite) and a keyboard. Meeting notes, on the fly ideas, and Action Memos are great with handwriting as an input method. Other than that and for anything lengthy it's a BT keyboard for me.

Everyone uses their devices differently, has different views on handwriting for data entry, and different criteria for what they save/collect and how. So there's no wrong way really. I totally agree with you that the majority of "the new S Note sucks" posts are from people that haven't taken the time to figure out the changes or logic behind them. The OP's issue seems to be that with the introduction of transform as the primary way to convert ink-to-text he misses the direct text input that existed in the old version.

Other than OP's ink-to-text methodology change issue there's nothing I've noticed missing from the new S Note compared to the old. And being able to use S Note for Windows (which only works with the new S Note format) to copy and paste from my device-created S Notes in to desktop Word and Outlook is a God send. So to each their own but people not happy with the new S Note owe it to themselves to invest some time to figure out Samsung's changes and the logic, which is fairly consistent, behind them.

Elim

Feb 17, 2008
Antwerpen
I dont think it is an issue with cleanrom as nobody else is experiencing it. Rather mine actually never showed them when stock. It was an initial gripe I had.
I don't want to harm you but I still expect that you did something wrong.

What I did:
- open s note
- see the overview page
- open menu via menu-key
- go to settings and choose "Downloads"
- choose: "Background image" or "Idea Sketch"
- then you will see what already is download (which should normally be empty)
- choose "Download" from the top

In the "Background images" I can choose now 122 portrait and 59 landscape background and I will not count the sketches. There are many.

bobdude5

Jan 12, 2009
Tustin
S-note would be perfect for me if it had two key features:
1. Ability to adjust aspect ratio of pages to match different paper sizes
2. Thinner pens

Without these features snote is useless to me for class note taking. It's really annoying because snote has such a nice clean ui with great features but I personally can't our because of these reasons.

nrage23

S-note would be perfect for me if it had two key features:
1. Ability to adjust aspect ratio of pages to match different paper sizes
2. Thinner pens

Without these features snote is useless to me for class note taking. It's really annoying because snote has such a nice clean ui with great features but I personally can't our because of these reasons.

You can adjust the pen size down and get it very thin.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I don't want to harm you but I still expect that you did something wrong.

What I did:
- open s note
- see the overview page
- open menu via menu-key
- go to settings and choose "Downloads"
- choose: "Background image" or "Idea Sketch"
- then you will see what already is download (which should normally be empty)
- choose "Download" from the top

In the "Background images" I can choose now 122 portrait and 59 landscape background and I will not count the sketches. There are many.

Still not there for me. No idea why lol. I went ahead and used my protection plan to get the 12.2 today

econlaw

Oct 21, 2013
I used to have a Note 8 and the S Note was great. Could start to write at the top and as each page filled up it would insert another page. I am talking about hand writing that is changed to type.

The S Note on the 10.1 2014 is utter rubbish. You cannot start typing at the top of a document and keep typing until a page is filled. You are FORCED to use text boxes. This means that if you just keep typing in the same box it does not overflow onto another page.

Does anyone have the Note 8 S Note .apk

Regards

Colin

Unfortunately, I understand your problem, but never found a solution to the problem. I posted a similar question to yours when I purchased the Note 10.1 (2014) last fall. It seems that the new version has some distinct advantages, but they do come at a cost. On the previous s note, there were text boxes at the top of the page, as others have pointed out, but you could leave the boxed area and have the handwriting converted to text instantaneously. The benefit of this method, as the initial author mentions, is that you could keep writing and s note would add pages as you filled them. The new version keeps the writing confined to the text box and will not create a new page. You have to create a new text box on each new page in order to use this method. I use s note a lot and tried very hard to find a way to do what the old one did, but I have not found a solution. The rectangle and lasso methods of converting to text are not reasonable substitutes for me, but apparently they work well for others. The other issues I still have with the new s note are that "blank" white pages print with a shaded background, converting notes to pdf can result in part of the note being chopped off, and the formula conversion using the lasso/rectangle method is worse than the previous version in my opinion.

I do like other features of the new s note though. Specifically, the fonts in the old s note were problematic. I had the note 8 and had to change the font constantly or notes would be converted to pdf in a size that resembled the top letters in an eye examination. The new s note is better with respect to design, layout, and fonts in my opinion. I just wish they would have coupled the benefits of the new version without removing some great attributes of the old.

Reactions: colint3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because the interface is changed and cleaned but the functions are still there... maybe it is time to read the handbook?

Here's my take on the new S Note over the old. The old was dated looking from the day it was released. All the functions were in your face in tool bars and menus whether you used them frequently or rarely. Having all the tools, options, and rulers shown all the time also consumed a lot of screen real estate. The new version's cleaner and the functions used most are prominent with others either a menu or long press away. It's also infinitely faster when doing anything from saving to formula calculation.

To me, being able to use transform after-the-fact takes away the need to figure out in advance what I'm going to do with a specific note I'm creating. Not all my notes are equal and some end up being irrelevant so having to go through the gymnastics of turning them from ink-to-text in real-time which, with iffy handwriting, is time consuming and prone to error is a waste of time.

As said previously, now that S Search can search on handwriting I rarely convert my handwritten notes to text. Most of the time I'll convert excerpts if I need to reference them in an e-mail or more formal document. Before Scrap Book I used the old S Note to collect ideas and content. Now I use S Note almost purely for notes and Scrap Book to collect ideas and content to support them. Neither S Notes or Scrap Book files can be viewed on anything but a Samsung device so everything anyone here creates that's destined to be shared needs to be moved to a more accessible format. If I know I'm going to be using a bunch of content in a "real" document to be viewed by others I use a faux-Office app (Hancock's now my favorite) and a keyboard. Meeting notes, on the fly ideas, and Action Memos are great with handwriting as an input method. Other than that and for anything lengthy it's a BT keyboard for me.

Everyone uses their devices differently, has different views on handwriting for data entry, and different criteria for what they save/collect and how. So there's no wrong way really. I totally agree with you that the majority of "the new S Note sucks" posts are from people that haven't taken the time to figure out the changes or logic behind them. The OP's issue seems to be that with the introduction of transform as the primary way to convert ink-to-text he misses the direct text input that existed in the old version.

Other than OP's ink-to-text methodology change issue there's nothing I've noticed missing from the new S Note compared to the old. And being able to use S Note for Windows (which only works with the new S Note format) to copy and paste from my device-created S Notes in to desktop Word and Outlook is a God send. So to each their own but people not happy with the new S Note owe it to themselves to invest some time to figure out Samsung's changes and the logic, which is fairly consistent, behind them.
    The S Note on the 10.1 2014 is utter rubbish.

No offense, but your lack of investment in even trying to find out how to do what you're moaning about is rubbish. Did you really think Samsung would blow-away a highly used feature like ink-to-text? Moving to the new version of S Note was kind of jarring at first but it does everything the old version does/did with less clutter and easier access to highly used features. After time I've grown to prefer it.

How did you delete the text box. Never mind found it.
    I am sorry but the method you suggest is consulted. Each time I want to convert text I have put a box around it and say convert. Why do that when I can convert on the fly. I repeat my request anyone got the Note 8 SNote apk it was much better.

I really think you're just confused.

There are two ways to convert ink to text in the new S Note

1. Write your heart out on as many pages as you want and then select all or part of what you've handwritten and convert it to text after-the-fact; including translation in to multiple languages. Unless you have unbelievable penmanship and get a 90+% accuracy rate on the handwriting keyboard then it's a much better solution, at least it is for me. The way you're describing either slows me down considerably correcting misinterpretation of my handwriting as I write or if I go for speed tons of after-the-fact corrections I need to make.

2. Create text boxes (which are really designed for text-based graphical elements, not full-page notes) anywhere and everywhere you want and use the handwriting keyboard to convert ink-to-text on the fly. This works the same as I remember the old S Note working on my N10.1-12.
    With the introduction of S Finder you can now search on handwritten notes so I don't need as many of my notes converted to text. If they are for my own personal use I'm fine leaving them in handwritten form. And the new method (transform) lets you pick and choose what you want converted. For example, of three pages of handwritten meeting notes there may be a couple of paragraphs or sentences I'll want to reference in a follow-up e-mail or document. I'll transform them, copy/paste them in text form where I want them, and then undo the transform which leaves the whole note handwritten.

With all that said, I still don't understand what you're trying to accomplish that any of the above doesn't address or that the old S Note did better or differently. The help file available in S Note has a great deal of info and a ton of shortcuts. You might want to read it. Also there's a Windows version of S Note that allows you to create new notes on your PC, view/edit notes from your device, and keep them sync'd. It only works with the new S Note format that was introduced starting with the N3. To each their own but I can't imagine going back to the old S Note.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/snote/
    Mine doesnt have any portrait templates only landscape ones. Trust me I've looked. I even tried creating custom templates by putting them into the file system. Nothing. Can you post a screen shot showing a protrait template?

Here.

SNoteTemplate.png
    And don't forget the 138 portrait backgrounds too...