Stock device won't boot - possible power issue - PLEASE HELP!

Search This thread

tloth01

Apr 25, 2011
So I have a STOCK (no nothing) Verizon Galaxy S4 that is/was up to date as of 6/23/14. I think the last OTA push was a month or so ago.

A few days ago the device rebooted on its own a few times and I had no clue what was going on, but it stabilized for a day or so. Then yesterday it shut off and would not turn back on - the battery level was at least 80%. I removed the battery and reinserted it. I did not press the power button, but the device vibrates and displays the initial boot screen for about 3 seconds before it powers back off. At least I assume it is powered off - the screen goes black and there is no sign of life. The buttons do nothing to stir its slumber. I can remove and reinsert the battery for the same results.

I've tried POWER+HOME+VOLUME UP once inserting the battery - the blue text appears at the top but again the device shuts off after about 3 seconds.

Charger plugged in shows no light. However, when plugged in, the top part of the device does becomes warm on the screen and on the back with the cover off. - It actually becomes quite warm so I removed the battery but kept it plugged in just to test and it remained very warm. Unplugged now. Also it appears that inserting the battery does nothing now - maybe it's drained.

I'm pretty certain it's a hardware problem at this point, but I have no clue where to start. Has anyone ever had this issue or come across someone that has? I can take the device apart - does anyone know where and what I should be looking for as far as a loose connection or damaged component goes? Is there an electrical component diagram out there somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Have you tried getting into download mode at all?! I know you say that it won't go into stock recovery... But if somehow it got bricked then recovery corrupt be borked as well. Least if you can get into download mode you could try a no wipe image....

Also could just be hardware related in such case I don't have experience with that so much..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
So I have a STOCK (no nothing) Verizon Galaxy S4 that is/was up to date as of 6/23/14. I think the last OTA push was a month or so ago.

A few days ago the device rebooted on its own a few times and I had no clue what was going on, but it stabilized for a day or so. Then yesterday it shut off and would not turn back on - the battery level was at least 80%. I removed the battery and reinserted it. I did not press the power button, but the device vibrates and displays the initial boot screen for about 3 seconds before it powers back off. At least I assume it is powered off - the screen goes black and there is no sign of life. The buttons do nothing to stir its slumber. I can remove and reinsert the battery for the same results.

I've tried POWER+HOME+VOLUME UP once inserting the battery - the blue text appears at the top but again the device shuts off after about 3 seconds.

Charger plugged in shows no light. However, when plugged in, the top part of the device does becomes warm on the screen and on the back with the cover off. - It actually becomes quite warm so I removed the battery but kept it plugged in just to test and it remained very warm. Unplugged now. Also it appears that inserting the battery does nothing now - maybe it's drained.

I'm pretty certain it's a hardware problem at this point, but I have no clue where to start. Has anyone ever had this issue or come across someone that has? I can take the device apart - does anyone know where and what I should be looking for as far as a loose connection or damaged component goes? Is there an electrical component diagram out there somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated!!

If this is 100% stock phone u are looking at hardware issue of some type...

sent via safestrap 3.72 and echo v25.1! !

tloth01

Apr 25, 2011
If this is 100% stock phone u are looking at hardware issue of some type...

It is and I agree. Just hoping someone on here might've seen this before and know how to fix it. I may try replacing the charging port hardware to see if that solves it.

amazon com/gp/product/B00EZ6LQ76/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2N7MOLQT42QNO

Last edited:

ckarrow2

Oct 27, 2009
Forest City, NC

To boot into recovery you only need to hold the VOL UP+POWER. Once the phone vibrates let go of power but keep holding the up button. I let go once the blue text appears for about 2 seconds.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
If you don't have a warranty there are places that will jtag it. I would recommend using someone that has done it before but I would be happy to try if you want to send it to me. I have the equipment but have yet to use it. I had a hard brick and thought I was going to have to try and Jtag mine but the warranty company decided they would go ahead and replace it. Like any place else, there would be no guarantee it will work. Of course if it is a hardware issue, jtag wouldn't work.

Some repair places will test it for free. I took one in for a sound problem and wanted to check out the loud speaker. The loud speaker was fine and they didn't charge me anything.

tloth01

Apr 25, 2011
If you don't have a warranty there are places that will jtag it. I would recommend using someone that has done it before but I would be happy to try if you want to send it to me. I have the equipment but have yet to use it. I had a hard brick and thought I was going to have to try and Jtag mine but the warranty company decided they would go ahead and replace it. Like any place else, there would be no guarantee it will work. Of course if it is a hardware issue, jtag wouldn't work.

Some repair places will test it for free. I took one in for a sound problem and wanted to check out the loud speaker. The loud speaker was fine and they didn't charge me anything.

Okay thanks! Yea, I'll see if I can figure out if it's a hardware problem or not. If not, then I may take you up on your offer.