App2SD Mod (Moves dalvik cache to SD) Instructions

Search This thread

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Now after we have root for 2.1 most of you will want to have app2sd also. The script posted in x10 mini pro android development forum (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804574) works ok but it has one limitation. It moves only the /data/app folder to your ext2 partition on the SD card. The /data/dalvik-cache folder remains in the internal memory and this is why you still see your internal memory free space decreasing when installing applications.

I have modified the script so it also moves the dalvik cache to your SD card. I recommend to use at least class 4 SD card for this. I have attached the modified script. Follow the instructions from the original thread but use the files from my attachment. For me it works fine.If you have any problems please share so we can try to fix them together.

And finally using both the original and modified app2sd you CAN normally use your sd card as mass storage device.

suhel28

Oct 30, 2010
Now after we have root for 2.1 most of you will want to have app2sd also. The script posted in x10 mini pro android development forum (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804574) works ok but it has one limitation. It moves only the /data/app folder to your ext2 partition on the SD card. The /data/dalvik-cache folder remains in the internal memory and this is why you still see your internal memory free space decreasing when installing applications.

I have modified the script so it also moves the dalvik cache to your SD card. I recommend to use at least class 4 SD card for this. I have attached the modified script. Follow the instructions from the original thread but use the files from my attachment. For me it works fine.If you have any problems please share so we can try to fix them together.

And finally using both the original and modified app2sd you CAN normally use your sd card as mass storage device.

I've read somewhre that if you already have & try to again use the app2sd script
than the phone starts looping endlessly..

is it true?

Reactions: maxxer30

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I first installed the original app2sd, uninstalled it using the script, reboot and installed using the modified script. No problem at all.

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I prefer my way because this way i can still use my sd card as mass storage in windows while using the chargemon and data.img it is not possible.

v112u5

Nov 22, 2009
its working??? any one test/?? screenshoot pls :)
hmm where must I put the app2sd.sh?? in the sdcard or...
/sdcard/app2sd2.1 mod (dalvik-cache to sd)/app2sd.sh?

thx

zen1k

Aug 7, 2009
Haabneeme
Hmm, something went wrong...

At night I tried your method. After App2SD setup I got 192mb free (internal memory) instead of 154, as it was before. I installed 3 applications adn the phone showed, that I still have 192mb free. In the morning I installed Skyfire and used iGO Amigo and after that I noticed, that amount of free memory is 166mb.

As I understand, the phone with App2SD mod don't use internal phone memory at all... However, mine phone still prefer internal one. :)

Edit: If I want to revert changes made by App2SD, I must choose "keep files from sdcard" or "load from backup"?

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Well in fact using my App2SD solution not the whole /data is moved to the ext2 partition. Only the dalvik-cache and app folders in /data are moved so some applications may still consume space in the internal memory. If you uninstall use the option to use teh fiels from the SD card. About the GPRS problems - i don't see how they can be related with app2sd. I do not see this problem with my phone. Are you trying my method or the new chargemon method?

Reactions: zen1k

timk1764

Oct 26, 2010
Ireland
I reflashed to 2.1 rooted put xrecovery on my phone backed up everything enabled jit replaced the backup after jit was working then enabled this app2sd script all works fine except wifi won't connect but if I restore back before I enabled this script wifi works fine......

I don't see how its affecting network connections but it somehow is....

Sent from my E15i using XDA App

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I reflashed my phone using the clean rom this time.Installed xrecovery, jit and finally app2sd and my wifi is working fine. I am really surprised why it can affect the wireless.

timk1764

Oct 26, 2010
Ireland
Me too as last night before I put xrecovery and jit on I had no problems....

Gonna try again this time app2sd first...
Sent from my E15i using XDA App

zen1k

Aug 7, 2009
Haabneeme
Well in fact using my App2SD solution not the whole /data is moved to the ext2 partition. Only the dalvik-cache and app folders in /data are moved so some applications may still consume space in the internal memory. If you uninstall use the option to use teh fiels from the SD card. About the GPRS problems - i don't see how they can be related with app2sd. I do not see this problem with my phone. Are you trying my method or the new chargemon method?

Thanks... Just cleaned all apps cached files and now I have 190mb int. memory again. App2sd works!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've read somewhre that if you already have & try to again use the app2sd script
    than the phone starts looping endlessly..

is it true?
    About the 3g/wifi problems i can not help because i am not able to reproduce the problem neither on mine nor on my father's phone. Here is what i do:

1. Install the clean rooted 2.1 rom
    2. Install xrecovery
    3. Install JIT
    4. Install App2SD Mod
    5. Install applications

Edit: I use 8GB Kingston class 4 SDHC on my phone and 8GB Kingmax class 4 SDHC on my and my father's phone.
    Here is a market apk that you can try.