[RECOVERY][TOUCH] TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) 2.3.2.1 [UPDATE!]

Search This thread

dbx4

Sep 18, 2011
8WqRK.jpg

Are you tired of scrolling through huge lists of files in ClockworkMod with the volume rocker?
Don't you wish there was a recovery with a graphical interface and controlled using the touchscreen?

Team Win Recovery is just that!

Built by TeamWin from the ground up based on AOSP recovery, it has a themeable GUI with touch interface, file manager, keyboard, terminal emulator and much much more...

NEW VERSION 2.3.2.1!

Note: A few devices experience random reboots/shutdowns in recovery with the latest version. If this is the case for you, use version 2.2.1 which is completely stable.

Features
  • Graphical touchscreen interface with buttons and drag-to-scroll!
  • Compressed backups that can save you up to 50% disk space
  • Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
  • Custom names for backups, rename and delete backups inside recovery
  • Integrated Terminal Emulator
  • Install queues allow you to install multiple zips in one go (e.g. CM9 zip together with gapps zip)
  • Easy one-button cache & dalvik cache clearing after an installation
  • Recovery settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
  • File Manager that allows you to move, copy, delete and rename files and change their permissions
  • Battery percentage indicator, charging indicator and clock (set your timezone in settings!)
  • Reboot into download mode (bootloader)
  • ADB support
  • Sideloading for automated ROM install: http://teamw.in/ADBSideload
  • Detailed logfile
  • Themeable

Download

FAQ
  • I installed this but my phone keeps booting into recovery over and over again.
    You need to re-flash your bootloader as described here.
  • Can I use TWRP to restore my CWM backups?
    No. The only way is to convert your uploads like this: flash CWM, restore a backup, flash TWRP, create new backup, repeat.
  • Where is my external SD card?
    The external SD is under /emmc (as is standard for all CyanogenMod-based ROMs). The internal SD is under /sdcard.
  • What is the size vs speed tradeoff for compressed backups?
    For my test, compression shrunk the total backup size by 43% and took 1.4 times longer.
  • Can I use this to flash CyanogenMod9?
  • Can I use this to flash XYZ ROM?
  • The clock shows the wrong time!
    You need to set your timezone under Settings -> Time Zone. The setting is saved in a config file on your sd card so you only have to do this once.
  • My .zip file won't install!
    Turn off signature verification!
  • Can I mount my SD cards on my PC in recovery?
    Yes, but only one at a time. Go into the Mount menu and select which card to mount with the "Use external SD" or "Use internal storage" radio buttons. Connect your USB cable and press "Mount USB storage".
  • How can I restore single apps (and/or their data) from a TWRP backup?
    Use TitaniumBackup, it supports TWRP! In Titanium Backup, open up the menu and select "Extract from Nandroid backup...". It will list all your TWRP and CWM backups and allow you to restore as many apps and their data as you want.

Even though all TWRP backup files carry the extension .win, they are either tar archives or filesystem images. System, data, cache and .android_secure are backed up as tar archives or gnu-zipped tar archives if compression is enabled. You can rename those .win files to .tar (.tar.gz if compressed) and extract them like a regular archive. Boot and recovery partitions are backed up as .img files using dd.

I have tried to test all recovery features and they all seem to work. I successfully flashed several different ROMs and performed backups and restores. However, there could still be bugs lurking somewhere - if you find one please report it!

Screenshots

Credits
  • TeamWin - Everything here is their work, I only provide a precompiled binary for our device. Particular thanks to Dees_Troy from TeamWin for his help.
  • arco - For the config files for our device.

Disclaimer

Do not install this if you don't know what you are doing. Incorrect flashing of a recovery can lead to a hard brick! Bugs in the recovery could result in data loss so always have a backup! I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your phone and offer no guarantees.

For Developers
  • TWRP has an optional companion app called GooManager. It offers a frontend for the goo.im archive which hosts ROMs and the gapps. Unlike CWM and ROM Manager, it is completely free, developers can upload their ROMs to goo.im and users can easily flash them with GooManager. It would be awesome if developers started uploading their ROMs there!
  • To take screenshots inside the running recovery, use adb to dump the framebuffer and then use ffmpeg to convert the raw image to a jpeg like this:
    adb pull /dev/graphics/fb0
    ffmpeg -vframes 1 -vcodec rawvideo -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgba -s 480x800 -i fb0 -f image2 -vcodec mjpeg fb%d.jpg
  • Sources:
    - TWRP2 github
    - arco github with BoardConfig.mk etc. for I9001/ariesve
    - Configuration parameters for TWRP in BoardConfig.mk:
    Code:
    DEVICE_RESOLUTION := 480x800
    TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/sdcard"
    TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "sdcard"
    TW_EXTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/external_sd"
    TW_EXTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "external_sd"
    TW_DEFAULT_EXTERNAL_STORAGE := true
    TW_FLASH_FROM_STORAGE := true
    This is a straight, unmodified compile of TWRP2 sources. TWRP2 is made available under the Apache License 2.0.

Last edited:

dbx4

Sep 18, 2011
Over 27000 downloads as of November 17th! Rock on!

Changelog:
    - Small bugfixes
    - Fixed keyboard not working for backup rename bug
    - Faster boot
    - Much faster permission repair
    - Charging indicator (only updates once a minute)
    - Major code rewrite to C++ and Jelly Bean base
    - ADB Sideload functionality - for automated ROM installs, see http://teamw.in/ADBSideload
    - USB storage mounting now mounts both internal and external sd cards simultaneously
    - Small bugfixes
    - Trying to fix the random shutdown bug that happens on some devices
    - Integrated Keyboard
    - Set custom backup name
    - Terminal emulator
    - Rename files in file manager
    - Set file permissions using octal notation in file manager
    - Rename and delete backups
    - Restore menu has switch for internal/external SD
    - Fixed timezone names
    - Wipe external SD option
    - Wipe battery stats and rotation data options removed (Google says it's unnecessary. You can still do it manually/with apps if you want.)
    - Fixed themes not loading bug
  • 2.1.8-fix
    - Fixed USB storage mounting
    - Initial release for the Galaxy S Plus

Old Downloads:

Last edited:

dbx4

Sep 18, 2011
no problem in cm9? example.. wifi .BT....because arco recovery fixed some problem in cm9
This is a Recovery, not a ROM!

A recovery is a small bootable operating system on a seperate partition on your device. Changing your recovery does not in any way affect your running system. And when booted in the recovery you don't have access to WiFi or Bluetooth anyway.

The reason FeaMod does not work with CM9 is because it was compiled with a wrong list of partition sizes. I compiled this using arco's CM9 repository, so it has exactly the same settings, kernel config etc. as the CM9-compatible CWM that arco compiled.

db1901

Apr 14, 2012
You must make a backup with teamwin recovery. Maybe you can copy your CWM Backup into the Teamwin recovery folder for restore your backup.
Sorry for my english.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9001 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: sqnyster

Gusta_HR

Aug 13, 2011
Velika Gorica
This is RECOVERY it has nothing to do with any of the ROMS !!! RESTORING BACKUP from other RECOVERIES is not recommended, it will end up bricking your phone! NEVER RESTORE BACKUP WITH DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF RECOVERY, EVEN IF IT IS MADE FROM SAME SOURCE.

RECOVERY cannot be "compatible" or "incompatible" with ANY of ROM distro's.

Restoring someone's nandbackup (CM9 with arco recovery, for example) on own phone is other story.

Last edited:

sidsweb

Apr 22, 2012
Yay!

Awesome work! I was waiting for a touch recovery!

btw, can we flash CWM over this afterwards, just in case i want to restore a CWM backup later on? :)

dbx4

Sep 18, 2011
btw, can we flash CWM over this afterwards, just in case i want to restore a CWM backup later on? :)
Yes, you can change recoveries without a problem.

For arco's CWM flash this zip file and then reboot the recovery. Later in CWM you can just flash the TWRP zip, reboot recovery and you're in TeamWin Recovery again.

This is also how I suggest people migrate their backups (if really necessary): Install and reboot into CWM, restore a CWM backup, install and reboot into TWRP, perform a backup, repeat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4436657

Works great, just installed Arcos build 4 with your Recovery.
Awesome!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    8WqRK.jpg

Are you tired of scrolling through huge lists of files in ClockworkMod with the volume rocker?
    Don't you wish there was a recovery with a graphical interface and controlled using the touchscreen?

Team Win Recovery is just that!

Built by TeamWin from the ground up based on AOSP recovery, it has a themeable GUI with touch interface, file manager, keyboard, terminal emulator and much much more...

NEW VERSION 2.3.2.1!

Note: A few devices experience random reboots/shutdowns in recovery with the latest version. If this is the case for you, use version 2.2.1 which is completely stable.

Features
    • Graphical touchscreen interface with buttons and drag-to-scroll!
    • Compressed backups that can save you up to 50% disk space
    • Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    • Custom names for backups, rename and delete backups inside recovery
    • Integrated Terminal Emulator
    • Install queues allow you to install multiple zips in one go (e.g. CM9 zip together with gapps zip)
    • Easy one-button cache & dalvik cache clearing after an installation
    • Recovery settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    • File Manager that allows you to move, copy, delete and rename files and change their permissions
    • Battery percentage indicator, charging indicator and clock (set your timezone in settings!)
    • Reboot into download mode (bootloader)
    • ADB support
    • Sideloading for automated ROM install: http://teamw.in/ADBSideload
    • Detailed logfile
    • Themeable

Download

FAQ
    • I installed this but my phone keeps booting into recovery over and over again.
      You need to re-flash your bootloader as described here.
    • Can I use TWRP to restore my CWM backups?
      No. The only way is to convert your uploads like this: flash CWM, restore a backup, flash TWRP, create new backup, repeat.
    • Where is my external SD card?
      The external SD is under /emmc (as is standard for all CyanogenMod-based ROMs). The internal SD is under /sdcard.
    • What is the size vs speed tradeoff for compressed backups?
      For my test, compression shrunk the total backup size by 43% and took 1.4 times longer.
    • Can I use this to flash CyanogenMod9?
    • Can I use this to flash XYZ ROM?
    • The clock shows the wrong time!
      You need to set your timezone under Settings -> Time Zone. The setting is saved in a config file on your sd card so you only have to do this once.
    • My .zip file won't install!
      Turn off signature verification!
    • Can I mount my SD cards on my PC in recovery?
      Yes, but only one at a time. Go into the Mount menu and select which card to mount with the "Use external SD" or "Use internal storage" radio buttons. Connect your USB cable and press "Mount USB storage".
    • How can I restore single apps (and/or their data) from a TWRP backup?
      Use TitaniumBackup, it supports TWRP! In Titanium Backup, open up the menu and select "Extract from Nandroid backup...". It will list all your TWRP and CWM backups and allow you to restore as many apps and their data as you want.

Even though all TWRP backup files carry the extension .win, they are either tar archives or filesystem images. System, data, cache and .android_secure are backed up as tar archives or gnu-zipped tar archives if compression is enabled. You can rename those .win files to .tar (.tar.gz if compressed) and extract them like a regular archive. Boot and recovery partitions are backed up as .img files using dd.

I have tried to test all recovery features and they all seem to work. I successfully flashed several different ROMs and performed backups and restores. However, there could still be bugs lurking somewhere - if you find one please report it!

Screenshots

Credits
    • TeamWin - Everything here is their work, I only provide a precompiled binary for our device. Particular thanks to Dees_Troy from TeamWin for his help.
    • arco - For the config files for our device.

Disclaimer

Do not install this if you don't know what you are doing. Incorrect flashing of a recovery can lead to a hard brick! Bugs in the recovery could result in data loss so always have a backup! I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your phone and offer no guarantees.

For Developers
    • TWRP has an optional companion app called GooManager. It offers a frontend for the goo.im archive which hosts ROMs and the gapps. Unlike CWM and ROM Manager, it is completely free, developers can upload their ROMs to goo.im and users can easily flash them with GooManager. It would be awesome if developers started uploading their ROMs there!
    • To take screenshots inside the running recovery, use adb to dump the framebuffer and then use ffmpeg to convert the raw image to a jpeg like this:
      adb pull /dev/graphics/fb0
      ffmpeg -vframes 1 -vcodec rawvideo -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgba -s 480x800 -i fb0 -f image2 -vcodec mjpeg fb%d.jpg
    • Sources:
      - TWRP2 github
      - arco github with BoardConfig.mk etc. for I9001/ariesve
      - Configuration parameters for TWRP in BoardConfig.mk:
      Code:
      DEVICE_RESOLUTION := 480x800
      TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/sdcard"
      TW_INTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "sdcard"
      TW_EXTERNAL_STORAGE_PATH := "/external_sd"
      TW_EXTERNAL_STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT := "external_sd"
      TW_DEFAULT_EXTERNAL_STORAGE := true
      TW_FLASH_FROM_STORAGE := true
      This is a straight, unmodified compile of TWRP2 sources. TWRP2 is made available under the Apache License 2.0.
    Over 27000 downloads as of November 17th! Rock on!

Changelog:
      - Small bugfixes
      - Fixed keyboard not working for backup rename bug
      - Faster boot
      - Much faster permission repair
      - Charging indicator (only updates once a minute)
      - Major code rewrite to C++ and Jelly Bean base
      - ADB Sideload functionality - for automated ROM installs, see http://teamw.in/ADBSideload
      - USB storage mounting now mounts both internal and external sd cards simultaneously
      - Small bugfixes
      - Trying to fix the random shutdown bug that happens on some devices
      - Integrated Keyboard
      - Set custom backup name
      - Terminal emulator
      - Rename files in file manager
      - Set file permissions using octal notation in file manager
      - Rename and delete backups
      - Restore menu has switch for internal/external SD
      - Fixed timezone names
      - Wipe external SD option
      - Wipe battery stats and rotation data options removed (Google says it's unnecessary. You can still do it manually/with apps if you want.)
      - Fixed themes not loading bug
    • 2.1.8-fix
      - Fixed USB storage mounting
      - Initial release for the Galaxy S Plus

Old Downloads:
    Update: TeamWin Recovery v.2.3.0.3

Update: TeamWin Recovery v.2.3.0.3

OK guys, here's a first build of TWRP 2.3.

I have not had time to test this build extensively yet! You will need to be the beta-testers!

If all reports come back positive in the next couple of days, I will update the first post.

Please pay particular attention to this:
    Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

What's new?
    • Faster boot
    • Much faster permission repair
    • Charging indicator (only updates once a minute)
    • Major code rewrite to C++ and Jelly Bean base
    • ADB Sideload functionality - for automated ROM installs, see http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

Download

Bugs
    • In the Backup tab, the keyboard does not work when you select "Rename Backup". It works in the Restore tab though. Keyboard also works fine everywhere else.
    DeesTroy kindly fixed the keyboard bug! Here's TWRP 2.3.1.1 for ya:

Download

If there is a way to make old zips compatible with this new versions, it would be great is somone could post instructions for this.
    Of course there is, I posted the instructions.
    TWRP 2.3.3.0

Hi guys,

finally I was able to compile a fully working TWRP 2.3.3.0 :D

For me Fix Permission works perfectly.
    And I havent found any bugs yet. No reboot nothing.

Here is the downloadlink for latest TWRP 2.3.3.0:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1ks47lbwfjc8fll

Changelog can be found here:
    https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/commits/jb-wip